deleted

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
newbie28

deleted

Post by newbie28 »

deleted deleted deleted deleted deleted deleted
Last edited by newbie28 on Wed May 04, 2022 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bogcir

Re: Should I look for a new job or call it done?

Post by bogcir »

1. Quit
2. Look for a job you like. If you don’t find one, that’s fine.

No point in staying at a job you hate when you don’t need the money.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I would look for a new job (any job?) before quitting. If you can't find a new job you like, you can still quit (retire).
mathwhiz

Post by mathwhiz »

Have you looked for a new job? There may be many new remote or part-time opportunities that allow a phased retirement approach where you still can keep your career but offer a better work/life balance, especially full time remote or hybrid where you only have to go into an office a couple days a week. Also, you are in a position to say no at work. No, you won't work extra hours. No you won't take added work. No. No. No. If they want to fire you, make them fire you. Who cares? You are in the catbird seat with all the power.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Thoroughly research your health insurance options — COBRA, ACA, talk to insurance brokers.

Until you have numbers for that coverage’s cost for 10 years, you can’t accurately evaluate your financial situation.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
btenny

Post by btenny »

I suggest you give notice tomorrow AM that you are retiring in 2-4 weeks. You say you have plenty of money so retire. There is a wonderful robust life after full time work. Quit while you are young enough and healthy enough so you have time to enjoy life. DO not burn bridges at your company but tell them it is time... Get any severance pay that you can and take your eligible vacation and sick leave as pay or move you retirement date to get paid for this time.

Yes you will have to pay some $$ for health insurance via Obama care. But the cost is not that bad IMO. Make sure you add $15K or so to your budget to cover this cost.

Good Luck.
bogcir

Post by bogcir »

Mike Scott wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:44 pm I would look for a new job (any job?) before quitting. If you can't find a new job you like, you can still quit (retire).
I wouldn't stay one more day at a job I hate if I didn't need the money (which the OP doesn't). The outcome is going to be the same regardless -- leaving that job.
newyorker

Post by newyorker »

Please quit. You cant risk your health for some extra money especially when you dont need it.

Health over Wealth
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

newbie28 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:38 pm Should I look for a new job or call it done? I hate my current job and it is taking a toll on my health. We are both 55, the house is already paid off. We can easily live on 2% of withdrawal rate, more likely close to 1.5%. My main concern is the health insurance from now until Medicare kicks in. What would you do if you are in my shoes?
Is the 2% withdrawal rate your barebone spending rate or your normal rate?

If I were in your shoes, I would retire. In my case, I might buy my current employer's health insurance (approximately $1,500 per month for two persons), or I might just use ACA.

One thing you should know, if you could not make it, there are a lot of people in the world would not make it.
mariezzz

Post by mariezzz »

If you plan to use the health exchange (or your state equivalent) for health insurance after retirement, the (favorable) changes made by the American Rescue Plan for health insurance in 2021 & 2022 may sway your decision, assuming your income makes you eligible for the premium tax credit. (Below is one page with info but please research thoroughly.)

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/usc-broo ... th-policy/
The ARP addresses both concerns for 2021 and 2022. First, it increases the PTC at every income level by reducing the amount consumers are expected to pay as a share of their income toward a benchmark silver plan–the so-called “applicable percentages.
As a note, I'd lean toward quitting, given your situation. But make sure your health insurance options are acceptable to you - if you live in a metropolitan area, in a state with strong consumer protection laws covering health insurance (and an insurance commissioner who advocates for consumers), you're probably better off than if you live in rural areas.
===
Edit to add: you may already be aware of the Rule of 55, which allows you to access your 401k/403b from your employer if you terminate employment with that employer in the year you turn 55.

And, as others have noted, you can always choose to work part-time or full-time at a job you enjoy (FIRE: financially independent, recreational employment). But you don't need to as long as you keep your expenses appropriate for your savings (and adjust for adverse market conditions over time, if necessary).

You could use this site to investigate outcomes of various starting savings & spending scenarios: https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early

I find it most useful to toggle OFF the death toggle wedge (other than to look at what your statistical likelihood is of living to a given age).
Pay attention to the spending flex and the flex threshold options.
Inflation adj. is likely the inflation option you will want (but read explanation - hover over the heading for that parameter).
Note you can adjust income and expenses by specifying the years and amounts in the extra income (extra expenses) / start age, end age fields. Hover over the headings to see how to do that.
You likely will discover you're in really good shape, but that all depends on your risk tolerance and willingness to cut expenses if needed due to poor market conditions.
Last edited by mariezzz on Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

Mike Scott wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:44 pm I would look for a new job (any job?) before quitting. If you can't find a new job you like, you can still quit (retire).
+1. I agree. It is easier to find a new job when you have one. Absence of job raises red flags, rightly or wrongly.
ScaledWheel

Post by ScaledWheel »

With 50x expenses I would quit. Depending on your role, you could just "phone it in" while deciding what you'd like to do.

I have 20+ years until I'm your age, but I think by then I'd like to shift into a more advisory role, e.g., something that requires time but is not going to be full time and allows me to have a flexible schedule. It likely won't pay much, but you don't need the money. I would also consider volunteering my time to a cause I was passionate about part time, or even maybe taking a part-time paid position at a non-profit that I enjoy.

I say all this because I think (hope?) that there are more than just a binary full-time job/no job decision to be made.
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

If you have the house paid for, kids through college, have priced out COBRA or ACA coverage and think that all is covered with a 2% withdrawal rate (including taxes), then you are in great shape.
Watty

Post by Watty »

newbie28 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:38 pm We are both 55, the house is already paid off. We can easily live on 2% of withdrawal rate, more likely close to 1.5%.
It sounds like you did not include Social Security in that. If so then your withdrawal rate will be even lower when you start Social Security. You can use this web site to get a suggested claiming strategy.

https://opensocialsecurity.com/

When you get your Social Security benefit amount off the Social Security website be sure to change the defaults to indicate that you will stop working in 2021.

newbie28 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:38 pm My main concern is the health insurance from now until Medicare kicks in. What would you do if you are in my shoes?

At many, but not all companies, your health insurance will be paid through the end of the month when you terminate. You would need to wait few more days and then give your two weeks notice so that July 1st will be your last day so you might get an extra months health insurance.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

There's a wide swath of choices between staying in a job you don't like and never working again.

Sounds like you don't necessarily need to work financially if you've estimated your expenses correctly, but maybe there are parts of working you enjoy and a different job would be a good choice for you?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

In your situation, I would quit.

Your job is providing you any life satisfaction, and you don’t need the money it provides. What else is there?

Not sure how you pay for medical from now to 65, but read up on it. If you have significant taxable accounts, and can manage your MAGI, you may qualify for ACA credits and subsidies that will make it extremely affordable.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

does he really need an "independence day" that soon, Watty?

is there another job at your location that would allow part time? or remote? (assuming that you have "institutional knowledge" that they would want to keep) Is part of the problem commuting? or just job stress?

If it's the latter, and they don't care about keeping older employees around (as in, institutional knowledge is constantly being replaced due to the nature of the job... so it's more important to maintain current new knowledge)...
then, if it's really impacting your health and your numbers are real, either start looking for a part time role in a different company- - now- - (while still employed, as yeah, there's still a level of stigma for those not in full employment)... and then you can quit your current position (with as little advance notice as you need/desire)

{note: the period after you downshift or actually stop is usually the time for doing Roth conversions, so you should examine the conditions/tax ramifications for doing those (lots of threads on this) }
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

newbie28 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:38 pm Should I look for a new job or call it done? I hate my current job and it is taking a toll on my health. We are both 55, the house is already paid off. We can easily live on 2% of withdrawal rate, more likely close to 1.5%. My main concern is the health insurance from now until Medicare kicks in. What would you do if you are in my shoes?
Why is the health insurance a concern? You need to get a ballpark now and include that in your future expenses as part of your WR calculation. It might not be easily 2% WR as you indicated, and this might impact whether you can call it done or not.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

why do so many people think we are put on this Earth to work every day? You don't need the money, you hate your job...why are you even asking this question?
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

I would quit immediately, I actually did, and I actually liked my job.

I think the fears around health insurance is a bit overblown.
It is extremely unlikely anything will change during the current administration. So earliest, you are looking at a possible problem is 2025. But, by then the ACA will be even more ingrained as a benefit. What government benefit program can you recall being eliminated?

Even in the unlikely event that happens, it is quite likely many states will step in to provide protections. Many already have enacted such laws. The subsidies may not be as generous, but access will almost certainly be protected in many states. It then just becomes another expense to be planned for. With your 50x+ portfolio, this would not be a concern I would let keep me in a job i disliked.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

theplayer11 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:47 pm why do so many people think we are put on this Earth to work every day? You don't need the money, you hate your job...why are you even asking this question?
+1

In addition I have been paying my own health insurance for 35 years. With newbie28's nest egg, it is a non issue.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Topic Author
newbie28

deleted

Post by newbie28 »

deleted deleted deleted deleted deleted deleted
Last edited by newbie28 on Wed May 04, 2022 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AQ

Post by AQ »

newbie28 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:55 pm Thank you for all the valuable feedback. I have budgeted 25K for health care related cost and 25K for traveling. Are these numbers reasonable?
I'm also interested in the answers. What I read is that if you don't get any subsidy, and if you go after a most expensive plan (PPO, low deductible, etc.), the premium can go as high as 40K+ for a couple. So I wonder if a budget of 500K can be considered to be a ceiling of the health care costs to carry a couple from 55 years old to 65 for planning purpose?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

newbie28 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:55 pm Thank you for all the valuable feedback. I have budgeted 25K for health care related cost and 25K for traveling. Are these numbers reasonable?
Those numbers are reasonable. I’m using similar numbers. I have pulled the current year prices for the health plan from the exchange that I’d be using, so it’s a pretty good estimate…. Prices vary by age and location of course, but 25k should be fine…..
anoop

Post by anoop »

No one knows what the future inflation in the cost of healthcare will be. The numbers seem to be all over the place depending on what state and what coverage level is chosen.

You didn't mention what line of work you're in. Is just working at your own pace an option till they lay you off? For example, just do things you like, and if you're upset take the day off. Start declining meetings you don't like, etc. That process would take 6 months to a year and give you severance and make unemployment accessible. And it might turn out you are even more productive!
delamer

Post by delamer »

Are they included in your 2% withdrawal estimate?
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Very reasonable. If your spending is 2% with those included then you have very little to worry about.
livelovelaugh00

Post by livelovelaugh00 »

Instead of quitting, maybe ask your company or find ways for your company to terminate you? This way you could get unemployment benefit at least
Topic Author
newbie28

Post by newbie28 »

yes, 2% including everything.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

Do you have a detailed financial plan? If not, get one.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

newbie28 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:36 pm yes, 2% including everything.
You should turn in your resignation tomorrow.

Then start planning what you want to do next.
It could be find another job, retire, or something else.
Your portfolio provides you the flexibility to make that choice. That is what you have been saving for all these years, right?
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Keenobserver

Post by Keenobserver »

Not sure why anyone would continue any job if they are sure its affecting their health, yet alone someone financially set to be able to either take a long break or retire altogather. Do you have extra back up heart, kidneys, lungs, intestines? If you do, go ahead and keep risking them for more money, if not then maybe not risk them for a job you hate? What do I know. Im just some guy.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

OK, in that case I believe you have enough & you can walk away from the workforce any day.
delamer

Post by delamer »

Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:43 pm
OK, in that case I believe you have enough & you can walk away from the workforce any day.
Agreed, but s/he is going to feel more comfortable with that decision by thoroughly researching and planning out health insurance coverage until Medicare time.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

delamer wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:15 am
Marseille07 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:43 pm
Agreed, but s/he is going to feel more comfortable with that decision by thoroughly researching and planning out health insurance coverage until Medicare time.
Yes, I suggested that upthread and they should absolutely do some research.

With that said, they have budgeted 25K/year for this already so they are likely just confirming that they have enough.
cashboy

Post by cashboy »

if you hate your job and are ready (and able) to quit anyway,

you might consider speaking to your management and see if there is anything that can be done to make your job more agreeable. they might bend over backwards to keep you. if they don't change anything then proceed to move on (quit or looking for another job).

good luck with whatever you decide!

:sharebeer
Three-Fund Portfolio: FSPSX - FXAIX - FXNAX (with slight tilt of CASH - Canned Beans - Rice - Bottled Water)
mooudn

Post by mooudn »

move to canada, the land where health insurance is a basic human right :)
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

Many people are in your same situation. They must pay you well if you are still there. What would you do if your salary was cut by 20%?

Go with that answer.
Nyarlathotep

Post by Nyarlathotep »

If you truly can live (comfortably) on a WR of 1.5% or 2%, then you definitely do not need to look for another job. However, I wonder if you're really sure about your ongoing living expenses. You said this in a different thread a few months ago:
newbie28 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:54 pm Both 55 and income level is about 300K. My job is not very stable, also in a HCOL area.
Current portfolio is 5M (80% taxable account, 20% in 401K).
Current annual expenses is about 40K.
How is it that your annual expenses (for two people) are only $40k in a HCOL area? I would suspect your actual expenses—taking everything into account, including occasional "lumpy" purchases like new car, new roof for the house, HVAC repair/replacement, and so on—could be significantly higher than $40k, especially in a HCOL area. I'm a single guy living near metro Atlanta, which is a MCOL area, and my annual (actually, annualized) expenses are closer to $55k, so I'd suggest you take a closer look at yours before making any big decisions.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Mwahahahaha...

You can not only quit forever at this very moment, you can tell them how much you hate your job and everything that sucks about it in extreme excruciating detail. You can call out everyone you've ever wanted to call out. Burn those bridges. Burn them to the ground and dance on their ashes. You don't need them. Do those you leave behind a ginormous favor. Tell it like it is. Be a momentary hero.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Beensabu wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:15 pm
Mwahahahaha...

You can not only quit forever at this very moment, you can tell them how much you hate your job and everything that sucks about it in extreme excruciating detail. You can call out everyone you've ever wanted to call out. Burn those bridges. Burn them to the ground and dance on their ashes. You don't need them. Do those you leave behind a ginormous favor. Tell it like it is. Be a momentary hero.
I agree with this. Well, not about burning bridges but that WHY ARE YOU STILL WORKING??? Whether you want to tell your boss to "take this job and shove it" is an additional bonus that depends on your personality.
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

neurosphere wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:18 pm
Beensabu wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:15 pm
Mwahahahaha...

I agree with this. Well, not about burning bridges but that WHY ARE YOU STILL WORKING??? Whether you want to tell your boss to "take this job and shove it" is an additional bonus that depends on your personality.
It's the dream of literally everyone's working life. OP is in a position to fulfill the dream. Do it for humanity.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

You don’t know if you can afford to live on 2% of withdrawal rate if you don’t know how you can afford future health costs. You have to be certain.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Wash.Invest

Post by Wash.Invest »

Hit the road at the opportune time for you to leave, finishing well and on your terms.

There are at least 5 options for HC.
1) Cobra / self pay ~$10-$20k
2) ACA can be nearly free if earning under $70k (income limits removed during Covid) https://www.kff.org/interactive/subsidy-calculator/
3) group health -form a company, become a student and use school policy.
4) health cost sharing networks ~$3000/yr (many friends and relatives rely on this for over 20 yrs) we used for 5 yrs of early retirement.
5) international medical / self pay.... Along with millions of others, including many from countries with nationalized HC... https://www.patientsbeyondborders.com/

Enjoy writing your next chapter.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

Ed 2 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:36 pm
You don’t know if you can afford to live on 2% of withdrawal rate if you don’t know how you can afford future health costs. You have to be certain.
Then no one would ever be able to retire. There is no certainty.
esteen

Post by esteen »

Sounds like you're more than set financially. It will be good for you to do the research on healthcare but it won't change the outcome from a financial standpoint. However, I'd also recommend looking at retirement from a nonfinancial standpoint if you haven't already (you may have). What are you going to do, what "fills your cup" and gives you a sense of fulfillment outside of work, if you have a partner what does he/she think about retirement and how will you handle it together, etc. You could take an immediate multi-week vacation at home (a "staycation") just take some time to decompress and figure those things out, plus the health insurance research. At the end of the vacation, if it still seems like a good idea, RETIRE!

Congrats on your financial success.
This post is for entertainment or information only, and should not be construed as professional financial advice. | | "Invest your money passively and your time actively" -Michael LeBoeuf
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

I think many people are over worried about health insurance. If people with millions cannot afford health insurance, think about other people who have nothing. There must be a way out no matter what might happen. If you can do 2% withdrawal, you are in a much better position.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

livelovelaugh00 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:33 pm Instead of quitting, maybe ask your company or find ways for your company to terminate you? This way you could get unemployment benefit at least
Does that ever happen?
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

rich126 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:26 am
livelovelaugh00 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:33 pm Instead of quitting, maybe ask your company or find ways for your company to terminate you? This way you could get unemployment benefit at least
Does that ever happen?
Ever? Yes.

But, I think it is fairly rare, and requires some special circumstances.

Here is one example:
viewtopic.php?t=232559
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

marcopolo wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:15 pm
Ed 2 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:36 pm
Then no one would ever be able to retire. There is no certainty.
I do. There are numbers in net worth when you can be certain ;$)
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel