Am I Wrong, or is Social Security?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
LeftCoast

Am I Wrong, or is Social Security?

Post by LeftCoast »

My wife just received her retirement benefit determination from Social Security (SS), and I think it is wrong.

I had a higher income than my wife. I filed for SS at my full retirement age. My wife just filed for SS at her full retirement age. We have been married for 40 years. I had expected that my wife's benefit would be half of my benefit, as that amount is about $400 more than the benefit amount that would apply from her work history. Instead, the letter from SS says her benefit will be the lower amount based on her work history. Should I file a Request for Reconsideration, or am I wrong about how SS benefits work?
papiper

Re: Am I Wrong, or is Social Security?

Post by papiper »

Well both of you are right. She asked for her earned soc. Security benefit. She needs to ask for a spousal benefit. Form SSA-2
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Assuming she turned 62 after Jan 2, 2016, isn't she subject to deemed filing?

Post by 123 »

Does the letter from Social Security say anything about a claim for spousal benefits or reference any other claim?
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast »

OP here. Thank you to the each of the three responders. My wife has called the local Social Security office, and they don't understand why the person who processed my wife's application didn't give her the spousal benefit. They are passing the issue up the chain for a response within a week.