Third Federal HELOC... Does it usually take this long?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
corp_sharecropper

Third Federal HELOC... Does it usually take this long?

Post by corp_sharecropper »

I began the process of opening a HELOC with Third Federal back on April 14th. We have been quite prompt providing all necessary documents and e-signing documents, almost always within 24hrs of the request. It is now in the final review (5 days ago). This is taking WAY longer than I imagined. Is this normal? I'm a little disappointed with the process. When I first spoke with them in April the rep said the whole thing would probably take 21 days, we're way beyond that. I have not received any indication that there's anything unique to our situation. Anyone else with a recent HELOC with Third Federal?
bkslaintesj

Re: Third Federal HELOC... Does it usually take this long?

Post by bkslaintesj »

Not sure if normal but here's my recent experience. Applied on April 8th and was approved on May 28th. Longer than expected and the few times I called, they mentioned abnormal volumes. Now waiting on next steps but have not heard anything since May 28th.
fireman

Post by fireman »

Mine took about 2 months. Applied early March. Complete early to mid May. We didn't need the line of credit for anything specific so it was no issue but I did think that it was unnecessarily long (and would have been annoyed had we obtained the line for something specific).
Count of Notre Dame

Post by Count of Notre Dame »

They seem to have the lowest rates in the nation, so their volume must be off the charts?
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

I'm in the early stages, I submitted an app a couple of weeks ago. They quoted me 75 business days originally but then I got a follow up email that it may "take longer than originally anticipated". I don't need the funds...still optimistic this will eventually happen.
rascott

Post by rascott »

Mine took less than 30 days, but that was last fall.
tonyclifton

Post by tonyclifton »

Ours started 2/11/21 and closed on 3/26/21. When we signed the paper work and I made mention of how long it seemed to take they said ours was fairly fast.
giddyup969

Post by giddyup969 »

Answered my own question
tbone555

Post by tbone555 »

I applied a little over a week ago. Just got notice that we are in review for final closing. Using a local credit union. 1.99% for first year then prime plus zero. 15 year term.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I have one in progress right now. My loan officer warned me that their volume is off the charts and the underwriting department is the hold up and to be ready for it to take 3 months. Appraisal came in low so I'm negotiating with them at the moment.

I had a prior HELOC with them on former house 3 years ago and that one took less than 3 weeks application to close so I believe this is a temporary slowdown.
nanotube

Post by nanotube »

Off topic but does anyone know how to get a referral to their Loyalty Perks Program to waive HELOC annual fees? Thanks.
CygX1

Post by CygX1 »

I am also shopping for a HELOC and looking for a referral to waive the AF with Third Federal. I would be grateful if any existing customer here would PM me.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

I believe that ours took about two months to complete last year. It was very smooth, and I don't have any real complaints about it. The rate is still 2.99%, lower than the mortgage we paid off in early 2020.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
sport

Post by sport »

The most recent "loyalty perks" expired 8/31/21. https://www.thirdfederal.com/our-advant ... ks-program
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

I talked to one of their agents today and he said 60 days to close since this HELOC is extremely popular..so IMHO be patient as it is worth the wait. :moneybag :beer
delconte

Post by delconte »

Loyalty Perks were extended to 10/31/2021. Was anyone able to get a referral to the program? Looking like I'll be using them within the next couple of months.
Seattle Chapter Organizer | seattlebogleheads@gmail.com
sport

Post by sport »

delconte wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:32 pm Loyalty Perks were extended to 10/31/2021. Was anyone able to get a referral to the program? Looking like I'll be using them within the next couple of months.
If you open a small savings account, that makes you a customer. Then you should be able to refer yourself. From their web site:

"As a Third Federal customer, you’re automatically enrolled in our Loyalty Perks program. And we always keep the offering fresh, which means you can enjoy a wide variety of perks—just for being a valued customer. You can even share these benefits with family and friends!"
delconte

Post by delconte »

Looks like deposit accounts need to age for six months. "or have an established outstanding Third Federal deposit account that has been open for at least 6 months"
Seattle Chapter Organizer | seattlebogleheads@gmail.com
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

I think this is with just about every lender these days. Took forever to do a HELOC with PNC.
Does anyone know if Third Federal gives an option to lock in your rate?
cflannagan

Post by cflannagan »

Datapoint: Applied for HELOC on July 23, 2021. Rate was 2.24% (still is now)

Signed paperwork at closing on September 13. So that was 52 days from application date to closing date.

I have a (stupid) question for those who are more familiar with HELOC loans in general. It's 10 year draw, with 20 year repayment.

If I pay back some of principal during draw period, do I have access to that principal again? To illustrate an example: if I decide to draw $200k on day 1. Within the 10-year draw period, I happen to pay back $100k of principal (plus interest). Then I'm nearing end of draw period, do I have a choice of drawing $100k again before draw period ends?
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

cflannagan wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:33 pm I have a (stupid) question for those who are more familiar with HELOC loans in general. It's 10 year draw, with 20 year repayment.

If I pay back some of principal during draw period, do I have access to that principal again? To illustrate an example: if I decide to draw $200k on day 1. Within the 10-year draw period, I happen to pay back $100k of principal (plus interest). Then I'm nearing end of draw period, do I have a choice of drawing $100k again before draw period ends?
Yes, it's a revolving line of credit. Feel free to pay it back and reborrow. Of course, the amortization period of the loan will depend on when in the draw period you took out the money. So, if you took out $200k on day one, your minimum payment is based on 30 years to pay off the loan. If your balance was $200k on day 3,650, your minimum payment is based on 20 years to pay back the amount.
cflannagan

Post by cflannagan »

calwatch wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:18 pm Yes, it's a revolving line of credit. Feel free to pay it back and reborrow. Of course, the amortization period of the loan will depend on when in the draw period you took out the money. So, if you took out $200k on day one, your minimum payment is based on 30 years to pay off the loan. If your balance was $200k on day 3,650, your minimum payment is based on 20 years to pay back the amount.
Thanks for the response. That's great that I could draw principal I've already paid out again, as long as I'm within the draw period.

I could be mistaken but I think with Third Federal HELOC, the 10-year draw period is interest-only (so one could make interest-only payments, any principal payments would be optional). THEN at end of 10 year draw period, that's when the real amortization (required principal + interest) begins - at beginning of the repayment period. At least I think that's what the docs was saying, I'd need to re-review. Not that I would have a problem paying P+I either at any time even if it was inside the draw period.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

cflannagan wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:57 pm I could be mistaken but I think with Third Federal HELOC, the 10-year draw period is interest-only (so one could make interest-only payments, any principal payments would be optional).
The HELOC we have with Third Federal has required payments during the draw period that include principal repayment; it is definitely not interest-only. I believe that the amortization period used is 30 years.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

willthrill81 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:11 pm
cflannagan wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:57 pm I could be mistaken but I think with Third Federal HELOC, the 10-year draw period is interest-only (so one could make interest-only payments, any principal payments would be optional).
The HELOC we have with Third Federal has required payments during the draw period that include principal repayment; it is definitely not interest-only. I believe that the amortization period used is 30 years.
I can confirm that as the case as well. The monthly payment for a maximum draw goes up the later you take it.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

calwatch wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:29 pm
willthrill81 wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:11 pm
I can confirm that as the case as well. The monthly payment for a maximum draw goes up the later you take it.
That makes sense. The payments are designed to pay off the HELOC exactly 360 months after it was originally taken out.