Return to Work - How is your company dealing with it?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
PhillyPhan

Return to Work - How is your company dealing with it?

Post by PhillyPhan »

[As noted in this post, The OP intends to use this discussion to gauge where the market is on Work from Home. This discussion could help the OP with a decision to test the waters in the labor market. --admin LadyGeek]

Well my company just announced post Labor Day a requirement to return to the office Tuesday through Thursday each week.

While I appreciate the 2 day WAH adjustment, I am not sold that it will really add much value to my career.

When we crunch the numbers, my wife and I save around 1k per month working remote (combined taxes and commuting costs).

Im curious what others are hearing from their companies regarding return to work?
jackbeagle

Re: Return to Work - How is your company dealing with it?

Post by jackbeagle »

PhillyPhan wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:38 pm Well my company just announced post Labor Day a requirement to return to the office Tuesday through Thursday each week.

While I appreciate the 2 day WAH adjustment, I am not sold that it will really add much value to my career.

When we crunch the numbers, my wife and I save around 1k per month working remote (combined taxes and commuting costs).

Im curious what others are hearing from their companies regarding return to work?
My savings were almost exactly what yours were. Admittedly, a good portion of that eating expensively for convenience while away from home.

We have been work from home 100% since the middle of March 2020. Our org has been declared that it will permanently be a "hybrid" arrangement. Our old process was getting to work from home one day per week. While they could have us back to the same old / same old, as that's technically "hybrid", I think we may very well get 2-3 days per week. I like to stay hopeful.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

We'll be returning to nearly 100% working on site in a month. Those who are vaccinated will not be required to wear a mask or socially distance. Those who are not vaccinated will have to do both. There is a clear expectation, though not requirement, that everyone will be vaccinated.
“Good and ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men.” J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

Still TBD at ours. It's looking like we're WFH for the rest of the year. From the employee surveys I've seen at our corporations, about 70% of employees prefer to work from home 5 days a week. Only about 10-15% want to go back in 4-5 days a week.

We're still trying to figure it out but I'm projecting a lot of people will stay remote. We're very concerned about losing people if we require them to come back into the office without a reasonable business justification. There is no justification for the vast majority of positions. It's going to be interesting over the next year or so!

If you're not happy about being forced to go back into the office, you probably should apply to another company that will let you work remote. There will be a lot of them.
Last edited by PowderDay9 on Thu May 27, 2021 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Last I heard before retiring on April 30, my employer was tentatively planning to re-open the offices sometime around September, and they had just started providing onsite vaccinations for employees. I had no interest in returning to the office, which was part of why I opted to retire this year instead of next year as originally planned.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

PowderDay9 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:49 pm If you're not happy about being forced to go back into the office, you probably should apply to another company that will let you work remote. There will be a lot of them.
Yep. While my former employer (one of the FAANGs, which I just retired from) is not likely to offer remote work as a long-term option, many others appear to be doing so. Facebook in particular has been spamming me almost weekly with permanent-remote positions.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Not well. They're using big words to sound accommodating of working remotely, but the reality appears anything but accommodating.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

For the most part, my employer had everybody return to work in November. I have been fortunate to remain WFH and not sure I will ever be asked to fully return in person. My wife had to physically return two days a week as soon as the state ended the mask mandate (April) and rumors that soon they will asked to return full-time.

I actually have more reason to be in the office than my wife does, but I am in a unique situation because it is a 7min walk from the front door of my home to the door of my office. If I am needed, I will be there in 10min. There is literally zero reason for my wife to ever be at the office, but her EC is very old school.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

I work for a small (500ish employees) software company & we were told last fall that we were "doing away with the idea that the office is where work gets done". This coincided with us acquiring another company out of state. Our office is supposed to reopen this summer as a hoteling space, but going in will be totally voluntary. I'm looking forward to going back 2-3 days a week though.
Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 »

Work from home has cost more than it has saved for our household due to costs of heating, cooling and adapting the at-home work space to full time workspace.

However the tradeoff is probably a wash if you consider time not spent commuting, which is valuable, but not necessarily valuable from a monetary standpoint.

Employer will allow some people to return to the office after Labor Day. Exact timeline is TBD. Some will be in office full time, hybrid home and office, or full time work from home, depending on role. So many of us at my organization will have flexibility regarding work location. A couple of co-workers have moved to lower cost of living areas in anticipation of permanent work from home.
marti038

Post by marti038 »

Big Company is inviting us to return July 6th. Work location dependent on work duties. Some will continue to WFH permanently, some will be back to 5 days/week with everything in between.

I've been told that I will likely have to report to the office at least once per week, but it's my choice after that. I'm pretty pleased with this arrangement.

FWIW, I could do my job from anywhere in the world that I have internet access.
dstac

Post by dstac »

Survey data from about a month ago showed that our urban center office employers were expecting a slow return to the office. On average, they were expecting about 25% of time back in office in June, 50% by September, and 75% by early 2022. I'm sure this has changed in the last month as vaccines have become more widely available.

Anecdotally, our office is requiring all employees to be in the office at least one specific day per week by department starting in mid-June. A friend's office just moved up their return from September to July - she's taking extended leave instead. Another office said we expect everyone to return July 1 to which a high performing department said, "What? We are outperforming by being remote" and the response was, "don't worry about what we said, keep doing what works for your department."

Broadly hiring for in person positions is relatively tough right now. (Not likely your situation, but this is particularly at the low wage end. Some restaurants are doing great, but can't add hours, seating, or other capacity because they can't hire the staff.)

If you can't/won't provide proof of vaccination to HR, you need to continue wearing a mask. This is going to be more interesting as client/customer meetings resume.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable). General comment threads are off topic in the forums with "Personal" in the title. See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT
- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.

Moderator Misenplace
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

After receiving a PM, the OP intends to use this discussion to gauge where the market is on Work from Home. This discussion could help OP with a decision to test the waters in the labor market.

Thread is now unlocked for discussion as noted.

Moderator Misenplace
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

For the last 5 years, a lot of my work was done with a network that was located across the country.
I allowed several members of my team to work from home whenever they wanted - which was usually one or two days a week. One member worked full time from home.

But senior management was not all in. The pandemic has changed everything in my org (canadian fed government). I'm sure that there are still those in senior management that would prefer to work in the office, but they are sending signals to employees that we will have a "hybrid" option. In my particular organization, that hybrid option seems more like employees can mainly work from home if it makes sense in their occupation. So I'm hoping this can continue.

Quite a bit of my work involves consultation with people across the country. So going in to an office just to call other people is a bit silly. And I think most have adopted that thinking.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

"Essential" science-based company.

Lab-based personnel have been working on-site for over a year. Wearing masks and distancing.

I've been remote since last March and won't be returning on-site until at least September.

Company is binning people into on-site only, partial WFH, and full/permanent WFH.

I've asked for permanent WFH... should have a decision soon. I'll likely need to be onsite for crucial collaborations/team events about every other month.
The more flexibility you have the less you need to know what happens next. -- Morgan Housel
vinhodoporto

Post by vinhodoporto »

Still TBD at my company...

Personally I have been going into the office 1-3 days per week since last fall and doing some business travel since the start of the year. I was fully immunized in March.

We’re an “essential” manufacturing firm, so our plants never shutdown but we put extensive COVID health and safety mitigations in place for the work force starting in March 2020. Most of our office workers were remote from last March until last fall.

Since the start of the year most office staff have been doing a mix of work from home and work from office depending on their situation and business needs. There is an undercurrent from some managers that they would like to see people in the office more but so far no company-wide policy. We have operations in a bunch of different states with varying degrees of openness.

Vaccination is strongly encouraged and fully immunized people are no longer required to wear masks in the office if local law does not require it although they can if they want.
Frank the Tank

Post by Frank the Tank »

Offices are still largely closed until after July 4th. Long-term, there will be a hybrid work arrangement for us (working in the corporate group at a consulting firm).

I do feel that leadership is much more enthusiastic about going back into the office. Meanwhile, though, a survey of our people indicated over 60% want to be completely remote and another 20-plus% want only 1 or 2 days per week in the office. So, there’s certainly a gap between leadership and staff on this issue (and I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s the case at a lot of companies).

For me personally, I’m in that 20% of planning to go in 1 or 2 days per week. My role was mostly conference calls and Zoom/Teams meetings with people across the country even pre-pandemic anyway and I don’t have a preternatural need to separate my home life from work life. The lack of commute is waaaaaay more beneficial to me than any other perceived negative of WFH. I do like to make sure I keep personal connections and have in-person meetings when they’re necessary, but I’ll switch jobs if I’m ever forced to commute just for the sake of face time (especially when the past year has actually gone well for our firm in a remote environment).
SC Anteater

Post by SC Anteater »

PhillyPhan wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:38 pm Well my company just announced post Labor Day a requirement to return to the office Tuesday through Thursday each week.

We're going 4 days a week in the office starting next week. I'm really going to miss the free time from not having to get ready/commuting, etc. We've been 2 - 2.5 days in throughout. I'll also miss the ability to go for a bike ride at lunch.
gch

Post by gch »

Company has been back in the office 100% since early fall. They recently announce a 2 day/week WFH schedule. It seems like most large oil and gas companies I interact with are doing this.
jackbeagle

Post by jackbeagle »

Bungo wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:54 pm
PowderDay9 wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:49 pm If you're not happy about being forced to go back into the office, you probably should apply to another company that will let you work remote. There will be a lot of them.
Yep. While my former employer (one of the FAANGs, which I just retired from) is not likely to offer remote work as a long-term option, many others appear to be doing so. Facebook in particular has been spamming me almost weekly with permanent-remote positions.
Do any of the FAANG companies even offer anything of a tenure-qualified, classical "retirement" or is it just identical to any other voluntary separation, such as when moving to another company? Not sure if the major players (ever) offer(ed) a pension, or the ability to stay on group health plan into retirement.
jackbeagle

Post by jackbeagle »

gch wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:45 pm Company has been back in the office 100% since early fall. They recently announce a 2 day/week WFH schedule. It seems like most large oil and gas companies I interact with are doing this.
Even small concessions like this can make the difference for supercommuters who were initially priced out of a tolerable commute.
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Wife and I both work at F500 companies. Her company is going back to 100% in office by Labor day, no remote work allowed any more. My company hasn't said much thus far, though I've told my boss if I can't WFH full time I'm quitting. My wife is also thinking of quitting once they force her back to the office. We don't really see a reason to have to work for companies that don't allow remote work any longer.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

My company is still reopening worksites depending on the local COVID situation. I believe those who are attached to a fully reopened site (very few of them are "fully reopened" yet, and none in the US) and whose job allows for remote work will be allowed to WFH at their discretion up to a certain number of days (maybe half ?) and more permanent WFH arrangements will be possible but subject to manager approval. I think full remote is guaranteed until the end of the year in my region, even if the worksite reopens before then. People will also be allowed to relocate if they want to.

I personally haven't paid that much attention because my position is 100% remote anyway. But I'm looking forward to be able to go to the office and just talk with people face to face now and then.

So, more flexibility than before. We're getting there. It will be interesting to see how this impacts the physical presence of these big companies around the world (from a real estate and campus services point of view).
susan123

Post by susan123 »

My company is trying to send me to a client office 5 days a week. It's 1.5 hour commute each day, one way! I told them that I cannot commute everyday, but they didn't want to hear it. I will quit if they require commute and my husband is fully on board. I have been debating about retiring, and this might be the final push that makes it happen.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

vitaflo wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:04 pm Wife and I both work at F500 companies. Her company is going back to 100% in office by Labor day, no remote work allowed any more. My company hasn't said much thus far, though I've told my boss if I can't WFH full time I'm quitting. My wife is also thinking of quitting once they force her back to the office. We don't really see a reason to have to work for companies that don't allow remote work any longer.
Where there is a challenge, there is an opportunity to make money. They gonna have to make an offer I can't refuse.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Encouraged to come into the office a couple days a week starting in July.
100% back in the office after Labor Day. Doubt there will be a change to the old WFH policy - one day a week WFH - the rest of the week in the office.

I "saved" about 1K per month not having to commute/go to the office.
These are the monthly line items in my "budget" that went away starting in April 2020:
$100 monthly train ticket
$300 purchased meals /snacks/food in the office
$80 after work drinks (allows me to buy GS Cookies, whatever my co-workers kids are selling or to pitch in for b-days or get well flowers or sympathy flowers without drama)
$200 replace/buy new work clothing/coat/shoes (this accumulated and was spent as needed)
$50 gas for car
$200 miscellaneous (this usually accumulated and got spent on something related to work - clothes/shoes or theater tickets with coworkers or a dinner out with coworkers or parking if I drove to work.)

I will be re-adjusting my spending plan to account for the above expenses being added back into my monthly "budget". :(
(I am planning to work at dropping the amount spent on purchased meals/snacks/food in the office...) The other things are kind of difficult to cut back on.
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

Both mine and spouse are moving to hybrid model - 2-3 days WFH. It will probably end up with at least one of us at home. This is excellent as we have a preschooler.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
esteen

Post by esteen »

jackbeagle wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 2:42 pm We have been work from home 100% since the middle of March 2020. Our org has been declared that it will permanently be a "hybrid" arrangement. Our old process was getting to work from home one day per week. While they could have us back to the same old / same old, as that's technically "hybrid", I think we may very well get 2-3 days per week. I like to stay hopeful.
This is exactly what's happened with my work, dates and all. Only difference is our dept head said the team can decide how many days they want to work in the office vs from home, and then as a team we all pick the days we should be in the office, so for example if we chose Tues and Wed then everyone would come in on those days and have the option to WFH the rest of the days.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

Vast majority of big companies seem to be going hybrid with very little full time WFH. It will be interesting to see how many people stick to the "I will quit if I can't full time WFH" plan or if the companies blink before the individuals quitting do.

It is interesting Facebook is offering full time remote positions. People I know there are saying management is not only adamant about hybrid work, but that you must also be within a certain distance of a major office to even be offered a job.

That being said, another megatech company seems to have pulled back their mandatory "hybrid" policy for a rethink after so many key performers said they were going to quit.

It is very very much in flux. Personally I hated remote working and quit, but that megacorp is also adamant on hybrid. They are also doubling down on outsourcing to China because "remote work went so well" - with a hard mandate to move significant (technical/white collar) jobs there.
jackbeagle

Post by jackbeagle »

fortunefavored wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:18 pm Vast majority of big companies seem to be going hybrid with very little full time WFH. It will be interesting to see how many people stick to the "I will quit if I can't full time WFH" plan or if the companies blink before the individuals quitting do.

It is interesting Facebook is offering full time remote positions. People I know there are saying management is not only adamant about hybrid work, but that you must also be within a certain distance of a major office to even be offered a job.

That being said, another megatech company seems to have pulled back their mandatory "hybrid" policy for a rethink after so many key performers said they were going to quit.

It is very very much in flux. Personally I hated remote working and quit, but that megacorp is also adamant on hybrid. They are also doubling down on outsourcing to China because "remote work went so well" - with a hard mandate to move significant (technical/white collar) jobs there.
It's all very interesting to see how well this pans out for employees who are not in bargained positions. With no official "teeth" except for rogue individuals' relying on exactly how critical their positions are(n't), it will still take talent leaving in droves to wake the big, sleeping dinosaurs.
rob

Post by rob »

Mine is now hybrid at max with office only when necessary for team based things with the option to go permanent remote. Zero travel for any reason below the board and they are moving to mostly hybrid...... They are reducing building space footprint.

Let's see when it swings back the other way since this is clearly an over-reaction....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Most of our salaried office employees are being given the choice of WFH or being office based going forward, but they don’t want anyone back in the office until the 4th quarter. We had no WFH policy at all before the pandemic. People who choose WFH will no longer have their own personal workspace in the building and will have to “hotel” on the rare occasions they have to come in. Company is requiring all WFH people to live in-state and WFH people have to come in for certain meetings, etc. if their manager requires it.

We are not the highest paying employer in town and have had a lot of attrition in recent years to companies with better pay among people in high-demand positions, so I think the company is offering the WFH option partly as a retention move.
gtg970g

Post by gtg970g »

My office has been partially back in the building since March and they are talking about forcing everyone back shortly but haven't given a date. I know multiple people planning to leave if they are not offered an opportunity to WFH. It will be interesting to see how everything plays out.
firebirdparts

Post by firebirdparts »

holy cow, $1000 a month? I think I saved about $40. I'm just glad I haven't gotten fat. Some folks came back with a whole new wardrobe.

Anyway, we're in limbo-land; In corporate headquarters, right at half the people are back full time (me included) and some aren't coming in at all. In other areas, some are working full time, and some are still cycling 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Some are sort of "sequestered". You can't go into any area where you don't regularly work. *HOWEVER* Everybody who wants to be vaccinated is vaccinated. So I am sure they are toying with the idea of just saying "it's over", and trying to figure out how you get there.

There is going to be freedom to WFH on some level, and I think the company would like to just not know. In my group, the truth is people were doing it all the time without asking before there was ever Covid. I will go out on a limb and predict they are never ever going to say "everybody is allowed to WFH 2 days a week". They will instead say "this is a problem for line management". Coincidentally, in my current job I replaced a guy who worked from home 8 years. It's a unique job, I am the only one. There is absolutely no need for me to ever go in, and there wasn't 10 years ago when he didn't go in.

They reopened the cafeteria, and they have little transparent shields on all the tables. You can think of it as the "cone of silence" or maybe it's like eating lunch during visitor hours at the county jail. The gym will be next, been closed for 14 months, and I am hearing they're going to want people to work out masked, which I think nobody will do. The Y hasn't required that really ever, and I think it's been open almost a year.

The company would ideally like to make mask wearing a PPE issue for unvaccinated people only, but they can't. They do not want to require that you tell them you're vaccinated, and they don't want to make anybody wear the scarlet letter, so they are really in a jam there. There's not much they can do about it, either. Right now, we have the option of voluntarily telling the company that we're vaccinated.

On a brighter note, I sing barbershop and we decided to get back together and start singing unmasked. We're singing outdoors right now, but the weather is fantastic, so why not.
Last edited by firebirdparts on Fri May 28, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A fool and your money are soon partners
jmw

Post by jmw »

My company is going back 100% to the way it was before which is discretionary 1 day per week WFH.

I'm not happy about increasing my expenses greatly just so they can see my face four times a week every week. It feels like from my unscientific survey of office worker friends that the vast majority are being forced to go back to full pre-pandemic arrangements.
btq96r

Post by btq96r »

We were in the planning of downsizing our local office footprint before COVID after a large outsourcing left us with a graveyard of cubicals. Then COVID hit and we slimmed down even more assuming work from home at 3-4 few days a week would be easily done through standardizing laptops and docking stations for those who don't have their own space (ie: managers who get offices). It's been working well enough, though not without some hiccups since folks tend to let the distractions at home with kids and such creep into the workday.

Corporate policy from the mothership in California says we can't force anyone to return until at least Sept 1st. I think they're waiting for the CDC to remove the "pandemic" designation for liability purposes. But aside from that one restriction, and some on travel for in-person meetings, they're letting local leadership handle the rest.
FIREmeup

Post by FIREmeup »

We fought for work from home pre covid. It was vehemently denied.

It was a relative success and against CEO wishes they created full office, hybrid and full WFH groups. The 4 hours a day saved commuting....$400 monthly bus tickets...and me constantly shutting off the lights my wife leaves on looks to have kept utility bills even. I am happy and lucky. Time for my wife...to work out....for hobbies..chores..though 85% of the 4 hours is monopolized by my young little dudes...and that has been fantastic.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

jackbeagle wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:54 pm
Do any of the FAANG companies even offer anything of a tenure-qualified, classical "retirement" or is it just identical to any other voluntary separation, such as when moving to another company? Not sure if the major players (ever) offer(ed) a pension, or the ability to stay on group health plan into retirement.
I don't know about the other FAANGs, but the one I retired from (the oldest of the five) has no pension plan and as far as I know, it never did.

It does offer retirees access to an unsubsidized health insurance plan, provided they meet the requirements: minimum tenure of five years, and age 55 either before retirement or reached during COBRA after retirement. In order to qualify for this insurance plan I would have had to continue working for one more year. This is a separate and more limited plan than the ones available to employees. If ACA didn't exist I probably would have stayed the extra year in order to qualify for the company plan. If ACA goes away (even unsubsidized), I'll have to go back to work just for health insurance. I'm gambling that it won't come to that.
Last edited by Bungo on Fri May 28, 2021 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dstac

Post by dstac »

Just a note to say that I’m following this thread for data points and advice on how to handle WFH in the workplace and provide ideas to others. Looking forward to seeing the range of approaches both individuals and organizations are taking.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

Global Mega Corp, only responding with respect to out North America plan.

Our major offices reopened in April, you could return on a voluntary basis. Starting July specific teams, at the direction of their Director or VP, will return 100% or some hybrid schedule but most teams the previously worked in an office won’t be able to be 100% WFH...max 2 days WFH.

Our employee “hoteling offices” reopened in April as well to support out of area travelers who need a temporary base or meeting space.

I’ve seen the surveys, to everyone’s surprise there are very identifiable trends in roles and team that want to return to the office and those that don’t. As someone who has WFH (and Traveled) for over 20 years, I would have thought more people would have wanted to remain at home but it’s far less than 50%. I’m guessing not everyone had homes set up to accommodate WFH; having to work for the kitchen table or corner of the bedroom might not have been enjoyable for many.

My team has been 100% WFH since always and will remain that way.
Last edited by DoubleComma on Fri May 28, 2021 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warner25

Post by warner25 »

Where I work, we've operated under pretty vague guidance since the beginning of this disaster. In March 2020 it was, "Only come in if you have to do something critical, and that thing can't be done from home." It wasn't clear what was "critical." By June 2020 it had already shifted to, "Keep doing what you need to do, but otherwise you (or your immediate supervisor) can choose where you work."

I've averaged about 40% from home over this past year, but it feels like I'll be back to 0-10% soon. Our days are dominated by meetings, and the format is increasingly in-person only. While we might keep the tools to work virtually, the network effect is what matters. We had various virtual collaboration tools before the pandemic, but no critical mass of people remained logged in or used them for meetings, so working from home back then would have been ineffective. That's the future. :(
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I went back to the office full time last August. One daughter is in a position that was never work from home eligible. My wife and another child went back to the office full time last week. Another was in and out of the office as their CEO dithered and the office shut down for quarantine several times. She's not very happy about it.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I am not sure why you think that what is good for your career factors into your employer decision. Onsite is all about collaboration and training next gen talent,
for the good of the company, not your career.

My employer is going to 2 days in office for a month, then 3, then 4 as a target ongoing state. They want to ease us back into things. If you are trying to gauge what is common practice, the execs at my firm have never had an original idea.
Strifey

Post by Strifey »

My company is planning to go back in September, but in waves throughout Q4 vs everyone at once (~3000 people at my location).

My department would be one of the last because we don't really need to be in the office to be effective (corporate finance), we're discussing more permanent solutions but the company is supportive of partial or full WFH depending on your team's individual needs.

I've already told my boss I'm planning on doing 3 WFH/2 Office days a week. I like going in sometimes but I've realized I don't really need to anymore.
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

I’ll be interested to see how return-to-office policies affect the ridiculous housing market, which I have to believe was fueled in large part by people thinking they could WFH and just move wherever they wanted to.
SDLinguist

Post by SDLinguist »

My department, in one of the top F500, ~50 people in 2019, was spread over the entire US, half the people in SD, the other half either fully remote or in offices elsewhere but working for the team that is SD based.

In the last year we have added 12 new hires all not in SD. With people retiring or moving to other jobs we are +8 compared to 2019.

In 2018, after doing badge checks in the office they gave up half the space because we had an average <50% badge-in in the building any given day. They moved some people remote to have 100% occupancy again.

In 2019 they did another badge check and badge in was again <50%.

Technically the policy was that if you weren't specifically WFH you were to be in the office but managers didn't care as long as the work got done. And since half the team wasn't local anyway, all our work was webex/MS Teams driven already so moving to WFH was just

Current plan according to management is to not even think about it until 2022. I suspect the likelihood of them closing the office is high. We have been more productive in the last year based on all internal measures and office space is $$$$$.
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

At least where I am, the biggest benefit of qualifying for retirement is that you get to keep all of your unvested RSUs. For me that is around half a mil and trending up. Unfortunately I will be leaving in a year (and would have to stay another 12 years to make the tenure requirement), but it is a nice parting gift if you qualify.

A
Bungo wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:16 pm
I don't know about the other FAANGs, but the one I retired from (the oldest of the five) has no pension plan and as far as I know, it never did.

It does offer retirees access to an unsubsidized health insurance plan, provided they meet the requirements: minimum tenure of five years, and age 55 either before retirement or reached during COBRA after retirement. In order to qualify for this insurance plan I would have had to continue working for one more year. This is a separate and more limited plan than the ones available to employees. If ACA didn't exist I probably would have stayed the extra year in order to qualify for the company plan. If ACA goes away (even unsubsidized), I'll have to go back to work just for health insurance. I'm gambling that it won't come to that.
almostretired1965

Post by almostretired1965 »

At least where I am, the biggest benefit of qualifying for retirement is that you get to keep all of your unvested RSUs. For me that is around half a mil and trending up. Unfortunately I will be leaving in a year (and would have to stay another 12 years to make the tenure requirement), but it is a nice parting gift if you qualify.

A
Bungo wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 9:16 pm

Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

fortunefavored wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 6:18 pm It is interesting Facebook is offering full time remote positions. People I know there are saying management is not only adamant about hybrid work, but that you must also be within a certain distance of a major office to even be offered a job.
My place is saying something similar. They're flexible in allowing people to work in the office 0-5 days / week, but apparently you have to live within a commuting distance :confused