Insurance for Home Depot Truck Rental

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
arf1410

Insurance for Home Depot Truck Rental

Post by arf1410 »

Thinking about renting a home depot vehicle to move an item across town. Best I can tell from the website, they dont sell insurance, you need to provide proof of insurance. While standard auto insurance, and a credit insurance may cover a passenger van or mini van, I do not think it would cover a cargo van, or flatbed truck, or the small panel vans they offer. What am I missing?
eye.surgeon

Re: Insurance for Home Depot Truck Rental

Post by eye.surgeon »

Your insurance should cover any vehicle you can drive with your driver's license as long as it isn't for commercial purposes like ridesharing or delivery services.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

arf1410 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:17 pm Thinking about renting a home depot vehicle to move an item across town. Best I can tell from the website, they dont sell insurance, you need to provide proof of insurance. While standard auto insurance, and a credit insurance may cover a passenger van or mini van, I do not think it would cover a cargo van, or flatbed truck, or the small panel vans they offer. What am I missing?
Check with your insurance agent about whether your current policy would cover this usage (and be forthright about any/all questions/issues - you do NOT want to end up with a claim denied because the purpose wasn't quite clear and thus not covered).

If it's not, ask about some other temporary coverage.
Ask the agent precisely which section(s) cover this particular usage.

And then READ THE POLICY/POLICIES.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
arf1410

Post by arf1410 »

I guess calling my insurance company would have been the best choice. Turns out with Geico, and in WA state, they will cover rental trucks, vans, etc up to 15,000# GVW... so even the 15' UHaul panel truck would have been covered.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Confronted this issue several months ago renting a Penske truck to help my daughter move out. My insurer (in NJ) would not cover it. Chase (though my Sapphire Reserve card) would not cover it. My umbrella would not extend to it either.

I bought the maximum amount of insurance available from Penske (think coverage was $1.0 million, including liability). It was not terribly expensive. I was mostly concerned my umbrella would not extend to it. After all, I was driving a vehicle I was not familiar with on a major highway with lots of other vehicles and also driving into an area I was not familiar with.

I’d avoid this situation in the future unless I had no other choice.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

eye.surgeon wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:18 pm Your insurance should cover any vehicle you can drive with your driver's license as long as it isn't for commercial purposes like ridesharing or delivery services.
I'm not sure this is correct for liability, but I'm almost certain it's not correct for collision damage.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

You want to go a level further with questions. "What are the conditions where my auto insurance covers this Home Depot truck?". I've asked and the answer was: "Your own vehicle must be somewhere where you cannot use it while you have the truck". Ah, so I can't have my wife drive me to Home Depot and expect that my insurance will cover me if we are both in an accident. So plan to drive your car to Home Depot, leave your car there and take the truck.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Hazel-Rah

Post by Hazel-Rah »

Each Home Depot with a tool rental department offers insurance for the equipment being rented at the time of signing the contract. Whether it is an orbital sander, jack hammer, or flatbed truck. As a former employee in that department for 3 years I highly recommend opting for the insurance which was 10% of the rental price. It is true that renting the truck requires valid driver's license, credit card, AND proof of insurance where all other tools required only the first two items. HD insurance covers the equipment, not the person. That's why they needed their own insurance to potentially cover their own health bill and that of another motorists if an accident occurred. If memory serves it was $20/hr for first hour and $5 for each additional 15 minutes making it a super affordable option for quickly transporting items from the store or to the dump. With the insurance box checked the customer could cause almost any accidental damage - as long as it wasn't obvious abuse, misuse, or neglect we turned a blind eye to all cosmetic scratches or minor damage. We would just eat the cost of the repair, order new parts and fix/replace once parts arrived in-house. Without the insurance box checked both the stores I worked at aggressively pursued recompense to get the tool back up and generating revenue. As an associate just working to pay his way through college it was a valuable additional education to receive as my department head trained us to look out for the department's interests and then to be backed up by store managers when the customer would inevitably complain that the equipment was damaged after being in their care but that they had received it that way or that they didn't know it had this quirk or that quirk and had declined the insurance. It was always so simple. Manager would come in, ask if insurance had been offered, ask if we had followed the check-out and check-in procedure and if insurance had been declined then customer paid for the damage. Super simple. Now I always buy the insurance whenever renting anything from Home Depot. I want to end the transaction as soon as possible - 10% guarantees that. And I bring my receipt from the gas station showing the timestamp and 1-2 gallons of gas that I put into it. I'm not interested in arguing with different store associates who try to interpret where the fuel gage marker was pointing on the paperwork. Odometer is recorded and the truck gets 12 mpg. For large items like the truck, ditch witches or front loaders the customer could have to wait up to 3 days until we could estimate how much repairs would cost. For gas my stores would charge $10 per gallon if no gas station receipt was available. Those were never fun conversations to have.