Thoughts About Blue Cross Blue Shield Settlement - Class Action Antitrust Lawsuit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
lessismore22

Re: Thoughts About Blue Cross Blue Shield Settlement - Class Action Antitrust Lawsuit

Post by lessismore22 »

We received the letter. We tossed the letter. Have had BCBS since 2013.
5th_Dimension

Re: Thoughts About Blue Cross Blue Shield Settlement - Class Action Antitrust Lawsuit

Post by 5th_Dimension »

I’ve paid 100% of my premiums to BCBS for the entire length of the settlement period, I filed a couple of days ago. Interested to see what comes of this.
Pick up a penny and soon you'll have many.
toasty

Post by toasty »

Are BCBS plans obtained through the Affordable Care Act Marketplace (healthcare.gov) eligible for the settlement? I had a Florida Blue plan purchased through healthcare.gov in 2017 and part of 2018. The group number was 99999. I have not received an email or postcard.

If eligible for the settlement, is the health plan treated as "purchased directly from BCBS" or "purchased through a group entity" for the purposes of filling out the claim form?
talzara

Post by talzara »

toasty wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:10 pm Are BCBS plans obtained through the Affordable Care Act Marketplace (healthcare.gov) eligible for the settlement? I had a Florida Blue plan purchased through healthcare.gov in 2017 and part of 2018. The group number was 99999. I have not received an email or postcard.

If eligible for the settlement, is the health plan treated as "purchased directly from BCBS" or "purchased through a group entity" for the purposes of filling out the claim form?
You are eligible for the settlement. HealthCare.gov is a clearinghouse exchange, so you purchased your policy directly from the insurance company.

It is unclear what type of policy is sold on an active purchaser exchange like the Massachusetts Health Connector. You're eligible for the settlement either way, but it might be better to wait for the postcard. The claim ID is already linked to your premium records in the insurance company's computer systems.
FGal

Post by FGal »

I've had it through an employer and bought it for a year or two when on the ACA. I got my postcard this week, and went ahead and registered online.

I generally do go ahead as long as it's only a few minutes of my time. I've received some surprise checks over the years so it's worth the 5 minutes, since it's money I never expected to get in any case.
FIREd as of March 2015!
bhwabeck3533

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

FGal wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:38 pm
I generally do go ahead as long as it's only a few minutes of my time. I've received some surprise checks over the years so it's worth the 5 minutes, since it's money I never expected to get in any case.
More than a handful of us have "put our hat in the ring" with the hope of getting a small, unanticipated windfall. I submitted my request on-line about six weeks ago. Anyone have a guess as to when disbursement to BCBS customers who file for monies will take place?
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

talzara wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:04 pm
tibbitts wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 9:40 pm I had a BCBS policy for my small business, through the local chamber of commerce. Two of us were LLC members and for part of the time both of us had BCBS coverage. Later in the period only one of us was covered. The business no longer exists - so no checking account, etc. The notice postcard was addressed to me personally, no reference to the business. What's the correct way to handle this?
It is better to file more claims rather than fewer claims. If your LLC does not file, the chamber of commerce might get your LLC's share of the settlement.
  1. Your chamber of commerce can fill out Section A of the claim form as a purchasing entity.
  2. Your LLC can fill out Section A as a business.
  3. The LLC's employees can fill out Section C.
Since the LLC has been dissolved, state law will determine what you should do with the check. In many cases, the LLC members may be able to endorse the check over to themselves.
I appreciate that very detailed explanation. But it sounds complicated enough in my example that I'll pass and leave the money for someone else. Maybe for an individual policy it would be worth it. I did receive a good amount ($600-ish if I recall) from a class action settlement once, although in the form of a discount on a newer version of the product that I did take advantage of.
talzara

Post by talzara »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:45 am More than a handful of us have "put our hat in the ring" with the hope of getting a small, unanticipated windfall. I submitted my request on-line about six weeks ago. Anyone have a guess as to when disbursement to BCBS customers who file for monies will take place?
If there are no disputes, then 2022 is the earliest that the settlement could be paid.

If there are disputes, it could take several years.
seawind30

Post by seawind30 »

If I partake in this settlement, can this insurance company deny me a policy in the future or penalize me in some way on my current policy that would affect my health coverage through them? Thank you for the insights.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

talzara wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:00 pm
bhwabeck3533 wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:45 am More than a handful of us have "put our hat in the ring" with the hope of getting a small, unanticipated windfall. I submitted my request on-line about six weeks ago. Anyone have a guess as to when disbursement to BCBS customers who file for monies will take place?
If there are no disputes, then 2022 is the earliest that the settlement could be paid.

Did anyone ever get anything for the Equifax one?

I got maybe $1 for a Bic pen one and $5 for a Redbull one, various amounts for others, the highest was $25 for a Visa one over foreign transaction fees.
tj

Post by tj »

seawind30 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 pm If I partake in this settlement, can this insurance company deny me a policy in the future or penalize me in some way on my current policy that would affect my health coverage through them? Thank you for the insights.
I don't see how they could.
seawind30

Post by seawind30 »

tj wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:49 pm
seawind30 wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 pm If I partake in this settlement, can this insurance company deny me a policy in the future or penalize me in some way on my current policy that would affect my health coverage through them? Thank you for the insights.
I don't see how they could.
Thanks, hope they cant/dont
Cloud

Post by Cloud »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:07 pm

I got maybe $1 for a Bic pen one and $5 for a Redbull one, various amounts for others, the highest was $25 for a Visa one over foreign transaction fees.
Still haven't seen a dime from the Equifax one.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Cloud wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:07 am
anon_investor wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 6:07 pm

Still haven't seen a dime from the Equifax one.
I recently got $2.15 from the Google+ class action... still waiting for iPhone 6, Equifax...
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:09 am I recently got $2.15 from the Google+ class action... still waiting for iPhone 6, Equifax...
I also got my $2.15 class action settlement.

I blew it all on ice cream cones for DW and me at McDonald’s. :moneybag
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
tj

Post by tj »

Stinky wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:48 am
anon_investor wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:09 am I recently got $2.15 from the Google+ class action... still waiting for iPhone 6, Equifax...

I got it too! Don't even remember signing up for it.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

tj wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:54 am
Stinky wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:48 am

I got it too! Don't even remember signing up for it.
I totally forgot too, but I saw and email from them as well as from paypal saying I had received funds.