What's Your View Of the Fidelity 2% Cash Back Visa Credit Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
makeminemichael

What's Your View Of the Fidelity 2% Cash Back Visa Credit Card

Post by makeminemichael »

I'm very close to moving everything to Fidelity for my financial life but one aspect I'm curious about is the Fidelity 2% Cash Back Visa Credit Card. I love how it has a flat 2% cashback rate but I'm a little miffed that it's through Elan and handled by a 3rd party. Does anyone use this as their main card? Can you all give me your opinion and thoughts on this card? Is this even the best card to consider for a single credit card use scenario?
Craig2020

Re: What's Your View Of the Fidelity 2% Cash Back Visa Credit Card

Post by Craig2020 »

I like mine. Probably not the best card, but simple.
Savvy

Post by Savvy »

Yes, it's our main card and Elan/Fidelity is great. I think there are a lot of posts on this already if you search.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

We have several cards to make the most of cash back, so this is just our "well, can't seem to do better than 2% any other way" card. However, we have had no problems whatsoever. The caveat being that we have had no problems whatsoever, so we have never tried to contact customer service. Since the points are the only thing we have in our Fidelity brokerage, it has been kind of fun to watch that account grow over the last couple of years.

If I were looking for one card to rule them all, this would probably not be my choice, but I have no complaints about the card.
lgs88

Post by lgs88 »

It's fine. The customer service is not nearly as good as American Express. In the rare instance that I have a problem, I can expect to wait for at least 20 minutes on the phone before talking to somebody. Additionally, their website is clunky.

However, I like the convenience of the cash rewards deposited right into my Fidelity account -- no fiddling around with maximizing redemptions, rewards programs, etc.
merely an interested amateur
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I like it a lot. It is in my wallet 100% of the time. I only use other cards when there are 5% CB quarters.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

You’re miffed because Fidelity didn’t decide to become a credit card company but rather branded one with 2% cashback for it’s customers?

Cheers
momvesting

Post by momvesting »

I consolidated my financial life to Fidelity but then waited to get a targeted offer for the credit card. $150 bonus after $1500 in spending. It isn't a crazy high bonus but I was going to get the card anyway. One caveat that is a little frustrating: my husband is the primary. I am not joint, but an AU (not a conscious choice, just the option that popped up as we did the online application). Because of this, the card is not on my Fidelity dashboard, just on his. This means I cannot access it from the Fidelity app on my phone. I'm the one that pays the bills so it is a bit annoying not to see the card on the app and to have to either have him pay from his phone or log in from a computer.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

momvesting wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:03 pmI'm the one that pays the bills so it is a bit annoying not to see the card on the app and to have to either have him pay from his phone or log in from a computer.
You can log in using his credentials and pay the bills that way without him having to do it. Another possible option is adding yourself as an authorized user on his Fidelity accounts, I know that would give you access to his Fidelity accounts through your login but I'm not sure if it would also give you access to the credit card through your login since the credit card is actually issued by Elan. It is also possible to set up an account directly with Elan and pay the bill that way using his credentials to log in.
Last edited by mptfan on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SilverGirl

Post by SilverGirl »

It’s our main card and it’s put 10,000 into our oldest’s 529.

Great customer service.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

Why not just get the citi 2% double cash rewards card? Its been my primary card since 2017?

Prior to it, I had a schwab 2% card serviced through a 3rd party, that was ultimatly sold to BoA who reduced the reward to 1% at which point I switched to the citi card
Last edited by flyingcows on Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This content is for entertainment purposes only
lazynovice

Post by lazynovice »

It is our main card because we are not into the credit card reward game. Other than Amazon and Costco purchases, we use it exclusively.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

It is an easy card to use. And simple. Since I am retired, the 2 percent returned to me is the only new money I am investing.
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

We use it as our main card and I think we spend a lot of monies. Cash back comes right back into the investment account. No issues.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
clarkdfw

Post by clarkdfw »

It has been my primary card for years. No problems.
bltn

Post by bltn »

The Fidelity Visa is my main credit card. I have a back up with Citi for the infrequent occasion when I can t use the Fidelity card due to a fraudulent charge. I ve been happy with the Fidelity card.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

I would've applied if they didn't have foreign tx.
Jon867

Post by Jon867 »

We have used this as our primary (domestic) card for many years, and we like it for reasons stated above. I believe it was previously administered by FIA, with which we had ongoing problems (e.g., routinely locked the card even though our “suspicious” purchase was at the local grocery store where we shopped every week). Since it switched to Elan years ago, we have had no problems.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

It was pretty much the only card I used for years.
2% cash back was great. Being integrated with Fidelity so I don't have yet-another account/password was also great.
I haven't used it lately because I got a card offering a higher cash bonus in certain areas and in my first year. I was expecting to go back to the Fidelity card for some things after a year, but I'm not so sure I will, I've been moving my 'banking' back to a regular brick-n-mortar bank, and I'm a bit upset that the Fidelity Visa dropped the "auto rental collision damage waiver" - which is probably the only card benefit (other than cash back bonus) that I actually use.... Oddly, the Fidelity Debit card still has rental car collision damage coverage (which is rare for a debit card to offer), but I 'd rather use a real credit card for a car rental.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Is it true that the 2% cash back must be deposited into a Fidelity investment account (eg, brokerage, 529, HSA)?

If so, I'll stick with my Citi Double Cash card.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Munir

Post by Munir »

This is starting to sound like a Fidelity Forum :happy . Remember folks, we are BOGLEHEADS.
mffl

Post by mffl »

Had it since 2008 or 2009 and used as a primary card. Used to only be 2% after spending $15k or something like that, but is 2% across the board now. Love it. The fact that you can set your points to auto convert/deposit is convenient. Very nice fire and forget. Their web interface is in fact fairly primitive, but the direct integration into the Fidelity website is convenient. I've never had customer service issues.

Obviously props to people who can keep all the bonus categories straight on multiple cards, as that can really add up over time if you do it right. But I just have a Chase Freedom card only as a backup card, and I can never keep its rotating categories in my brain. Is it 5% on gas this quarter? Or is it yacht rentals? Can't remember. Anyway, as a one time and never worry about it again decision, the Fidelity card is great. It hasn't changed the rules in many years, is integrated with your Fidelity account, and requires no maintenance after set up since it can be set to auto deposit.

If you're really a fire and forget kinda guy/gal and you use Amazon a bit, I also recommend the Amazon Prime card, also a fire and forget 5%. You just set it as your primary Amazon card and then throw it in a drawer and never think about it again.

That's the best "fire and forget" combo I've come up with.
mffl

Post by mffl »

mikejuss wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:18 pm Is it true that the 2% cash back must be deposited into a Fidelity investment account (eg, brokerage, 529, HSA)?

I put mine in a Fidelity cash account, which is very nearly like a regular bank account except that there isn't really a physical branch. But there's no monthly fees either, free checks, free debit card which refunds ATM fees no matter what ATM you use, etc. But yeah, it's got to be a Fidelity account. If you're on the Fidelity train anyway, it's really nice. I could understand someone with nothing at Fidelity not wanting to open a Fido account just for this though.
rtt22

Post by rtt22 »

Wait until you get a fraudulent charge! See viewtopic.php?p=5806166#p5806166
NativeTxn

Post by NativeTxn »

mikejuss wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:18 pm Is it true that the 2% cash back must be deposited into a Fidelity investment account (eg, brokerage, 529, HSA)?

Yes, but you can pretty much move it out to your linked bank account (or whatever other account you want) as soon as the deposit it made.

If you've already got Fido accounts, it's easy. If you don't already have Fido accounts, I would argue it's not worth opening one just for the card since you can use the Citi Double Cash instead.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

I think the cashback credit card isn't competitive with other no fee cashback credit cards.

BoA cashback credit cards with platinum honors is 5.25% cashback on a category of choosing.
And you can get like 36 different BoA cashback credit cards given enough time (each with the initial bonus on top).

Other no fee cashback cards like Chase (Freedom Unlimited and Freedom Flex) are about 3 to 5% cashback on its own categories.
Then there's fee cashback cards with 6% grocery cashback like American Express Blue Cash.

Overall though, I keep my Fidelity 2% Visa card on my wallet but I basically only use my BoA cashback credit cards.
2 Cashback cards: 1 for restaurants (5.25%) and the other for online shopping (5.25%).
infotrader

Post by infotrader »

It has been my primary card for years.
It is simple and easy, no quarterly signup, and category rotations, etc.
core4portfolio

Post by core4portfolio »

Amex grocery - 3% always
BOA cash rewards online shopping - 3%
chase rotating category - 5%
costco citi card - 3% on restaurants, 4% on gas stations

if nothing matched better then 2% fidelity visa
Allocation : 80/20 (90% TSM, 10% on ARKK,XBI,XLK/individual stocks and 20% TBM) | | Need to learn fishing sooner
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

mptfan wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:07 pm
momvesting wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:03 pmI'm the one that pays the bills so it is a bit annoying not to see the card on the app and to have to either have him pay from his phone or log in from a computer.
You can log in using his credentials and pay the bills that way without him having to do it. Another possible option is adding yourself as an authorized user on his Fidelity accounts, I know that would give you access to his Fidelity accounts through your login but I'm not sure if it would also give you access to the credit card through your login since the credit card is actually issued by Elan. It is also possible to set up an account directly with Elan and pay the bill that way using his credentials to log in.
Yea, that's what I do. I login to fidelityrewards.com with a separate id to access just the credit card for my YNAB link, I don't mind linking my credit card accounts but I'm more cautious with my Fidelity investment account.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

mffl wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:22 pm But I just have a Chase Freedom card only as a backup card, and I can never keep its rotating categories in my brain. Is it 5% on gas this quarter?
I just print a label with the quarterly bonuses for {Discover Card, Chase Freedom} and tape them to the card for the quarter. If there are no interesting bonuses that quarter or duplicates something I have anyway (e.g. 5% gas all year round), that card stays home. I remembered to set my Internet bill to Chase for Q1 this year, but forgot to prepay a bunch by 3/31. Oh well, it just gets paid with a 2.5% cash back card instead. But the 5% does sound nice, and I did buy a bunch of Aldi gift cards from Discover on 3/31. :)
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

makeminemichael wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:47 pm I'm very close to moving everything to Fidelity for my financial life but one aspect I'm curious about is the Fidelity 2% Cash Back Visa Credit Card. I love how it has a flat 2% cashback rate but I'm a little miffed that it's through Elan and handled by a 3rd party. Does anyone use this as their main card? Can you all give me your opinion and thoughts on this card? Is this even the best card to consider for a single credit card use scenario?
Well let's see, 2% everything with automatic bonus transfer to Fidelity, accepted everywhere Visa is accepted, contactless card, Apple Pay (if that is your thing).... What more could you ask for? 0% FTF would be nice, but 1% isn't terrible if you don't have a 0 FTF card. I used to use Fidelity as my default card, until I got the USAA 2.5% card. That card doesn't have contactless (USAA can't figure out contactless), but it does have 0 FTF which is even better.

The main Fidelity credit card was a 2% Amex Card issued by Bank of America's FIA before it switched to the 2% Visa card issued by US Bank's Elan division ~2015-2016.
mffl

Post by mffl »

fwellimort wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:40 pm BoA cashback credit cards with platinum honors is 5.25% cashback on a category of choosing.
And you can get like 36 different BoA cashback credit cards given enough time (each with the initial bonus on top).
Ok, that's intriguing. Tell me about that. Don't I have to have like $100k at BofA to qualify for the platinum honors though? And how do you get multiple of the same card for different categories? Wouldn't you just eventually get like one card for every category or something?
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

We use it as our main card paying anything we can with it, sprinkle in Discover for their 5% cash back category quarterly and AMEX platinum for all of the perks.
AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat »

deleted
Last edited by AerialWombat on Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is a work of fiction. Any similarity to real financial advice is purely coincidental.
fwellimort

Post by fwellimort »

mffl wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:24 pm
fwellimort wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:40 pm BoA cashback credit cards with platinum honors is 5.25% cashback on a category of choosing.
Ok, that's intriguing. Tell me about that. Don't I have to have like $100k at BofA to qualify for the platinum honors though? And how do you get multiple of the same card for different categories? Wouldn't you just eventually get like one card for every category or something?
Ya. If you have over $100k total assets in a brokerage, you can transfer them to Merrill Edge.
I believe Platinum is $50k total assets and Platinum rates are nice too.
Plus, Merrill Edge does bonuses for moving these kind of assets. So added free money on top.
Otherwise, the cashback is only 3% on a selected category.

Bank of America will never admit but:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/
Bank of America® Cash Rewards
Susan G. Komen® Cash Rewards
MLB™ Cash Rewards <-- I believe you can get one for every team (some redditor did this in the past)
U.S. Pride® Rewards
WWF Rewards
So a total of about 34 (not 36*) BoA Cash Rewards credit cards. And yes, these are all the same cashback cards.
Some redditor abused it so you can't sign up all that at once and collect $200 starting bonus on top right away but...
you can open more cards over time.
The cards follow a 2/3/4 rule (2 cards per rolling 2 months, 3 cards per rolling 12 months, and 4 cards per rolling 24 months) so you can create new cards over time.

There's only 6 categories and the bonus on each card applies to first $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club purchases each quarter.
I can't fathom why anyone would need 34 cards. But hey, each card is an additional $200 starting bonus.
Some redditors in the past abused this. Please don't. But here's a picture on the web.

I find just 2 cards enough: 1 for dining, 1 for online shopping. How many more do you really need especially when all I really spend outside those two are groceries and groceries on either is 3%. That said, if you plan a larger than normal purchase (e.g.: new laptop), then opening a card just for that isn't a bad idea (especially since you get that $200 bonus).
peterinjapan

Post by peterinjapan »

I love the Amazon card that gives 5% back. We run our company's AWS through this card and I get a ridiculous number of points to use because of this.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

AerialWombat wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:47 pm I stopped churning earlier last year, and just now grew tired of tracking categories on other cards. This is now my main card. Simplicity.
I also like the simplicity of the Fidelity card. I have used them for many years. There are people who like to pay cash for things but I have found that the 2% back adds up over the years!
John Bogle: "It's amazing how difficult it is for a man to understand something if he's paid a small fortune not to understand it."
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

2.625% on everything with BOA Travel Rewards provided you are fine redeeming for travel, which is defined fairly liberally. Unless I am trying to make a signup bonus the BOA Travel Rewards is my default. I hold the Fidelity card and use it when they have the occasional spending bonus, and put it away when they don’t.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

I have the Fidelity card. Used it for a couple of years for all purchases with no issues.

Since then my employer switched the 401k provider to Merrill, so I obtained a BoA Premium Rewards card. I now use this for all credit card purchases... better cash back percentage compared to Fidelity card.
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
TJHOFF

Post by TJHOFF »

rtt22 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:38 pm Wait until you get a fraudulent charge! See viewtopic.php?p=5806166#p5806166
I had the exact same thing happen to me, I thought it was amusing and annoying at the same time since I alerted them 2 hours after the charge since I have email alerts set up for any and all transactions.
No possible way I could be responsible right!?
But that is why I have a backup 2 percenter in the form of PP MC. I plan on applying for FNBO when my inquiries are cleaned up.
SaveMor

Post by SaveMor »

I looked at the Fidelity Visa but based on my level of spending, the Alliant Credit Union 2.5% cash back made more sense for me. I've been using the Alliant card for a little while now and have had no issues.

- No catogories to track
- 2.5% cash back on a max of $10,000 in purchases per month (so max cash back of $250 per month)
- Free the first year then $99 annual fee
- No foreign transaction fees

https://www.alliantcreditunion.org/bank ... d#features
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

I use it for everything that’s not amazon or Whole Foods. Easy. Nice to have all info in the same app as my brokerage (which is also my checking) and other accounts.

I had a fraudulent charge one time in 3 years and they promptly resolved it and mailed a new card. I don’t mind that perhaps there are some games to play to get slightly more rewards categories on other cards, as my hours are better spent doing other activities than learning what those cards are, applying, closing, or mentally keeping track of what card is for what. Between this flat 2% and the Amazon Visa @ 5% back on amazon and Whole Foods, we’re doing fine
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
hudson

Post by hudson »

SaveMor,
Thanks! That's useful information. Alliant savings is paying .55%.

What about Fidelity's 2% Visa?
It's my go to daily card. I like it, and I'm staying.

If Fidelity asked me how to make it better...

Immediately list online payments under pending transactions. Now it can take a day or more. You can get a quick email about payments if you set it up in notifications.
Send out replacement cards pronto after a fraudulent incident.

I consider both to be very minor issues. All card issuers have their quirks. It's good to carry spare cards.
Watty

Post by Watty »

One thing to be aware of is that buried in the fine print credit card companies(and things like car loans) have what is called, "The right of offset", where if there is an unpaid charge they can take money out of other accounts that you have at that financial institution.

These means that if you have a credit card that is compromised and the credit card company researches it and decides against your, which happens, then they can and will take funds out of your other accounts to pay off the credit card.

This may not be all that common but it is why I do not not have have credit or debit cards at places where I have money in other accounts.

I do get 2% cash back using the Citi Double card and I do not have any money in other Citi accounts.

Here is a thread where someone was having a problem with the right of offset being used.

viewtopic.php?t=302700

I once had a problem where my wife had signed up for classmates dot com and there was a recurring charge. They make it impossible to stop the charge so I contacted the credit card company to dispute it. Their eventual response was that the original charge had been authorized so the recurring charge, and future recurring charges, were valid. As I recall they would still even process the charge if I got a new account number. I told them that if they did not reverse the charge and block future charges then I would close the card. They backed down and credited the account and blocked future charges. If I had other accounts with that credit card company then they may have very well used the right of offset to cover that charge.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I like it - no problems. Switched a few years ago after several problems with the Citi 2% card.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Munir wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:20 pm This is starting to sound like a Fidelity Forum :happy . Remember folks, we are BOGLEHEADS.
It's because Fidelity provides good things for bogleheads - low (or zero) cost index funds and ETFs and other good value financial products (such as the credit card being discussed). So why shouldn't it be a topic?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

100s of threads on this topic
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

It was our general purpose CC for many years up until about a year ago (switched over to BofA's Premium Rewards CC with 2.625% cash back). Never really had any problems with it and would still be using it if not for the BofA card.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Watty wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:18 am One thing to be aware of is that buried in the fine print credit card companies(and things like car loans) have what is called, "The right of offset", where if there is an unpaid charge they can take money out of other accounts that you have at that financial institution.

These means that if you have a credit card that is compromised and the credit card company researches it and decides against your, which happens, then they can and will take funds out of your other accounts to pay off the credit card.

This may not be all that common but it is why I do not not have have credit or debit cards at places where I have money in other accounts.

I do get 2% cash back using the Citi Double card and I do not have any money in other Citi accounts.

Here is a thread where someone was having a problem with the right of offset being used.

viewtopic.php?t=302700

I once had a problem where my wife had signed up for classmates dot com and there was a recurring charge. They make it impossible to stop the charge so I contacted the credit card company to dispute it. Their eventual response was that the original charge had been authorized so the recurring charge, and future recurring charges, were valid. As I recall they would still even process the charge if I got a new account number. I told them that if they did not reverse the charge and block future charges then I would close the card. They backed down and credited the account and blocked future charges. If I had other accounts with that credit card company then they may have very well used the right of offset to cover that charge.
Good thing to be aware of, not sure if it applies to the "Fidelity" card though (would require some investigation).
Despite being branded as a "Fidelity" card, the credit card is through a different bank/financial institution (Elan financial) so I would suspect that might prevent "right of offset" being used against the Fidelity account but might if you had other accounts with Elan or their parent U.S. Bank.
I've also heard that the "right of offset" doesn't apply to credit card debts:
https://www.consumerfinance.gov/rules-p ... 26/12/#d-1
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

makeminemichael wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:47 pm Does anyone use this as their main card? Can you all give me your opinion and thoughts on this card? Is this even the best card to consider for a single credit card use scenario?
Actually, this isn't my main credit card; it's my only credit card.

I travel internationally only infrequently, and I don't spend enough to make the "fiddle factor" of chasing points worthwhile. My biggest charged expenditures are my insurance premiums (homeowner, vehicle, and umbrella). I direct the 2% cash back into FSKAX in my taxable brokerage account; for a small amount of long term savings.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies