IRS disallowed my claim

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Madboggle

IRS disallowed my claim

Post by Madboggle »

For Tax year 2016, I filled an extension for my tax return to submit by October 2017. In June 2017, I mailed them my tax returns which they returned saying that I was missing some fields, which I corrected and resent to them sometime in September 2017. They put a hold on my 2017 and 2018 returns citing the pending processing of 2016 return and for 2017 they raised identity pin fraud which I am still fighting to resolve. When my 2019 returns were accepted (I moved places may be four times by this time) I got a letter from them saying that I never filed my 2016 tax returns. They used standard deduction to file the taxes on my behalf and sent a huge bill with fines and interests. I called them up and resent my 2016, 2017, and 2018 tax returns again in June 2020. They finally processed and accepted my 2016 return in March 2021. I was supposed to get some money back, but instead they are saying that it’s more than three years since the original filling date and disallowed my claim.

Is there anything I can do now? They might have sent me some letters about this, but I haven’t personally received anything until some time in 2020, as I was at different places during this time. The letter said, I can appeal the case but I am not sure if there were any successful appeals. It’s a good chuck of money, but they take forever to respond or process and I keep moving places, it will be lost in ether. Is there any other solution in this case. I still need to resolve the issue with 2017 and 2018 returns.
Goal33

Re: IRS disallowed my claim

Post by Goal33 »

I hope you get an answer. This is why I love the forum. Always hear about something crazy. Also need to reduce my withholdings so I don’t face this type of issue.
Joe Public

Post by Joe Public »

It sounds like they are treating your return as originally filed in March 2021 when you resent it. The IRS can tell you the "filed on" date that shows in their records for your return. One option in that scenario is to appeal and connect the dots for them like you did in your post here. The more documentation you have of timely filing the better.

If they treat your 2016 return as timely filed, then there will be no issue with the statute of limitations. They would owe you interest, though.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

Madboggle wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:45 pm The letter said, I can appeal the case but I am not sure if there were any successful appeals.
I don't understand what you think you have to gain by not appealing. It sounds like you're looking for an excuse to not appeal. I've appealed tax rulings three times and they always found in my favour. I'm not sure why people think the IRS is some brain-dead fascist bureaucracy. Their job isn't to squeeze the maximum amount of money from taxpayers; their job is to apply to tax laws that Congress passes.
It’s a good chuck of money, but they take forever to respond or process and I keep moving places, it will be lost in ether.
If it is a good chunk of money and continually changing your mailing address is what is causing problems then the solution is pretty simple: rent a PO Box or start using one of the many mail collection/forwarding services like the ones RV hobbyists use.
crre

Post by crre »

i've had three separate issues with the irs over the years, all of which took ages to resolve. they move slowly, even in the best of times. also, i have sometimes had more success writing than calling, depending on who answers the phone.

just keep plugging. and definitely get a po box as suggested above.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

If a case isn't resolved at the audit level, the taxpayer may go to Appeals. IRS Appeals Officers resolve most of the cases that go there. They have broad settlement authority, including the ability to settle based on the hazards of litigation. If you can show the Appeals Officer that the IRS made a mistake, he/she will concede the case.

Where we have that option, we go to Appeals in almost every case not resolved on audit.
Topic Author
Madboggle

Post by Madboggle »

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions. I will look into the PO box solution, hopefully it should help with my moving.
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

AlohaJoe wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:58 am I'm not sure why people think the IRS is some brain-dead fascist bureaucracy. Their job isn't to squeeze the maximum amount of money from taxpayers; their job is to apply to tax laws that Congress passes.
I don't know if that's the characterization I would use, but in my experience so far - IRS is a monolith, black box and almost brain dead bureaucracy. Total PITA to deal with.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Did you mail the 2016 return in Sept. 2017 via a method with delivery confirmation, such as USPS Certified Mail? If yes, provide that to the IRS as proof of timely filing. If not, I don’t know how you will prove timely filing. However, there is no downside to sending in an appeal.
Topic Author
Madboggle

Post by Madboggle »

HomeStretch wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:57 pm Did you mail the 2016 return in Sept. 2017 via a method with delivery confirmation, such as USPS Certified Mail? If yes, provide that to the IRS as proof of timely filing. If not, I don’t know how you will prove timely filing. However, there is no downside to sending in an appeal.
I did use a certified mail with delivery confirmation, unfortunately I don’t have a copy of it. I feel it’s like shooting in the dark. I will present my case and see if they will allow my claim.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

The IRS has multiple ways to notify them of an address change.

https://www.irs.gov/faqs/irs-procedures ... ss-changes

Under current conditions with the IRS so far behind in opening mail and answering phones, this might not be useful information right now. But, hopefully, the IRS will catch up eventually.