Married Filing Separately with different nationality/residence status

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
rjm_cali

Married Filing Separately with different nationality/residence status

Post by rjm_cali »

Wife US/UK citizen , me UK citizen and is US LTR/LPR who will renounce green card and complete IRS expatriation process (Form 8854) and pay any expat tax due.

We're moving back to Europe in the next couple of years and the plan is that I will surrender my GC and complete the IRS expatriation process for US FY 2022. If my wife retains her US citizenship she will need to continue US tax filing beyond this time.

My question - will she have any responsibility to report (and pay tax on) my taxable events which take place in the UK after I have left the US and established tax residency in the UK. The reason being a a UK tax free lump sum payable from my UK pension in Q1 2023.

Also...... The UK FY year for 22/23 partially overlaps the US FY 22. Am I taking any risk having a taxable event at the end of the UK FY 22-23 (Q1 2023) which overlaps the US one (assuming I've completed the IRS reporting requirements for the US calendar/FY of 2022). Not that I'm being paranoid or anything ....

Life would be easier if the UK ran a calendar financial year.......