H&RB tax software first-time user, help with importing pdf

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Tamales

H&RB tax software first-time user, help with importing pdf

Post by Tamales »

Using H&R Block Deluxe download version for the first time. I can't find much info on what can and cannot be in the pdf used to import data from last year. Previous years I used Taxact, and it allowed me to create a pdf that has all the federal forms, schedules, worksheets, 1099's, etc (about 140 pages total) that were related to my return, so I'm sure I'll need to cut that down by extracting some pages first.

Will it only import the final forms that were filed, or will it read in and understand more than that?

Can I do the same sort of pdf import for my state return ?
livesoft

Re: H&RB tax software first-time user, help with importing pdf

Post by livesoft »

I haven't ever tried to import from a PDF. What happens when you try it? You are in the best position to answer your own question it seems to me.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Do you still have last years Tax Act on your computer? If so, I would expect that H&R Block will get what it needs from those files rather than from a PDF.
Bob
Topic Author
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

Livesoft: I'd rather not fumble around trying to figure out what to delete and how, or what didn't get imported right.
The answer to my question must exist somewhere. The software has to have designed limitations in what it can properly import from pdf.

CABob: HRB's website says it can only import HRB and Turbotax data files, not Taxact unfortunately.
Topic Author
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

I ended up stripping down my large pdf to just the federal forms that were filed, since I figured it would have to be able to read those forms at a minimum. It appears to have read all the federal forms fine. In the import pdf, I also included the state forms I filed last year, but I don't think it read those (I figured that would be a long shot), but it didn't give an error or say how many pages of the pdf it didn't read, which would have been helpful info. I'm guessing once I finish federal and move on to state, it might ask to import a state pdf separately.

Data entry has been fairly straightforward so far, though obviously a bit different from the way Taxact works. Entering ESPP and RSU sales threw me for a loop at first, but eventually I figured it out I think. Providing I did that right, and knowing how to do it now, I'd say it's a tad easier that Taxact for ESPP and RSUs.

H&RB asks for a lot less info than Taxact when entering 1099 payer data manually (no need to enter addresses and TIN of payers), so that made things a bit easier.

It doesn't seem like there's a way to save all the forms, schedules, and worksheets that you've needed, to a custom pdf (unless I'm missing something), so that's about the only thing where I'd say I liked Taxact better.

All things considered (and granted I'm not done or filed yet, but I should be done with entry that involves prior year data except for the state return) I'd say the switchover from Taxact has been fairly painless.
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

Tamales wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:13 pm It doesn't seem like there's a way to save all the forms, schedules, and worksheets that you've needed, to a custom pdf (unless I'm missing something), so that's about the only thing where I'd say I liked Taxact better.
When you print (including print to PDF), you have 3 options:
Official return
Official return plus worksheets
Selected forms / materials

I use option 1 for hard-copy printing just so I can have something easy to read next year.
I use option 2 for saving as PDF to my backup disk for 'forever'.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Tamales wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:13 pmH&RB asks for a lot less info than Taxact when entering 1099 payer data manually (no need to enter addresses and TIN of payers), so that made things a bit easier.
Do not be surprised if HRB asks for this information in the verification step before you e-file or print your return for mailing.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.