How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
jebmke

Re: Federal tax refund

Post by jebmke »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:07 pm I filed BIL's taxes April 12, via H&R Block, refund received yesterday, April 21.

Haven't filed our return yet, as we owe a bit.

Broken Man 1999
DD or check?
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Broken Man 1999

Re: Federal tax refund

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

jebmke wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:12 pm
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:07 pm I filed BIL's taxes April 12, via H&R Block, refund received yesterday, April 20.

Haven't filed our return yet, as we owe a bit.

Broken Man 1999
DD or check?
Direct Deposit.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Info_Hound

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Info_Hound »

Info_Hound wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 10:52 am Still waiting, IRS states they have received it, but have not processed it yet. Filed mid-February. Received my state refund about 3 weeks later. It was a simple standard tax return, efiled.
I now suspect my efiled return may have fallen into this, it was efiled around the right time frame and I did claim the credit.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 344076002/
Some taxpayers have claimed the Recovery Rebate Credit if they were eligible for any remaining stimulus money from the first two rounds of payments when they file their 2020 returns.

Any corrections to the Recovery Rebate Credit or verification of the 2019 “look back” election are being manually processed by the IRS’s Error Resolution System. The IRS is placing those returns in “suspense” until an IRS employee can review them to verify their 2019 income or their prior Economic Impact Payment. The return is essentially in a queue waiting to be reviewed and processed.

To put that into perspective, the IRS’s ERS unit doesn’t suspend returns during a normal filing season when it’s fully operational since it is able to review and process them as they come in, according to Collins.
hnd

Post by hnd »

i did the same.
BruinBones

Post by BruinBones »

BruinBones wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:08 pm E-filed with H&R Block on 3/6, accepted same day. Refund deposited 10 days (6 working days) later on 3/16.
Despite receiving my refund so quickly last month when I personally e-filed, the CPA at a local H&R Block office who filed my elderly parents’ income taxes last week told them it will likely take 2-3 months for them to receive their refund.
JPatch

Post by JPatch »

Mine is finally pending in my checking account. I e-filed February 19.
djmbob

Post by djmbob »

E-filed using H&R Block Deluxe on 3/25, IRS & OK accepted that same day.
IRS = "still processing." :annoyed
OK State refund deposited on 3/31. :D

Cheers,
Ray

5/2/2021 Just checked and refund expected to hit bank on 5/6/2021 for $1.36 more than my return indicated. :sharebeer
Last edited by djmbob on Sun May 02, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thomas716

Post by thomas716 »

I e-filed on Feb 27 and it was accepted by AZ and the IRS within minutes. My state refund was deposited by the end of the next week. The IRS is still processing.
Ours was an unusual year last year. Normally we owe some, but due to circumstances we ended up with a refund just under $11k. I hope that never happens again!
thomas716

Post by thomas716 »

And of course, after giving up and looking, I decided to check the IRS site and it says they adjusted the amount of my refund, which I’m not sure why. It went down aboot $800, but they say it is approved and should be deposited by May 3.
thawing

Post by thawing »

Federal efiled, accepted 3/5, refund still being processed. This does include EV credit.
State accepted and got it pretty quickly.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

thomas716 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:04 pm And of course, after giving up and looking, I decided to check the IRS site and it says they adjusted the amount of my refund, which I’m not sure why. It went down aboot $800, but they say it is approved and should be deposited by May 3.
I really hope i don't have to wait the 2+ months you had to.. I have a large refund due to unusual circumstances (severance mandatory withholding).

I've waited a month since it was "accepted" already and it hasn't been processed.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Is there a place to figure out how or why the refund got adjusted? We filed on April 15th with H&R Block software saying IRS accepted it that same day. I didn't check the IRS Refund tool until today because that's when a deposit for a different amount appeared. Using the tool, I entered the refund amount I expected, and the IRS website shows the slightly larger refund amount (less than 0.1% more) including some cents.

Is this some interest on the refund that we might need to then count as 2021 income?
Soon2BXProgrammer

harikaried wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:06 am Is there a place to figure out how or why the refund got adjusted? We filed on April 15th with H&R Block software saying IRS accepted it that same day. I didn't check the IRS Refund tool until today because that's when a deposit for a different amount appeared. Using the tool, I entered the refund amount I expected, and the IRS website shows the slightly larger refund amount (less than 0.1% more) including some cents.

Is this some interest on the refund that we might need to then count as 2021 income?
eventually you should get a letter. You might be able to "figure it out" if you log into irs.gov and pull your "transcripts" there are a couple different types. "figuring it out" might be easy, or might be a challenge depending on what it is.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:16 amYou might be able to "figure it out" if you log into irs.gov and pull your "transcripts" there are a couple different types.
Oh thanks! This was easier than expected. The transcript for federal tax 2020 shows "Refund issued 04-28-2021" for the actual refunded amount and "Interest credited to your account 05-10-2021" in the amount (negative) matching our excess refund. I wonder if this means IRS will be taking back that early interest payment…
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

e-filed my return on 4/26th. Accepted in 4 minutes. IRS shows it as still in process, as I'd expect.

e-filed another return on 4/20, accepted right away. IRS shows check will be sent by May 7.
timboktoo

Post by timboktoo »

Our return was finally processed.

Accepted: 2/12/2021
Processed: 5/3/2021

- Tim
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

timboktoo wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 11:32 pm Our return was finally processed.

Accepted: 2/12/2021
Processed: 5/3/2021

- Tim
Congratulations!!

IRS most likely took time because of large refund amount.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
basspond

Post by basspond »

We received ours within 2 weeks but my daughter took about 4. We too had a huge refund due to the 2020 stimulus credit(our AGI was too high in 2019), didn’t want to be under on our first year of estimating payments, and didn’t account for college credits. At least we applied some of our refund to 1st quarter estimate.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

thawing wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:17 pm Federal efiled, accepted 3/5, refund still being processed. This does include EV credit.
I also claimed the EV credit. Fed accepted 2/23 - still processing.
Filed state on paper and refund came quickly.

Will update when I get a refund.
Outafter20

Post by Outafter20 »

E-Filed Federal & State return on 3/14. Received state within 3 weeks. Still waiting on Federal. No special credits claimed and used the standard deduction. The only thing that I can think of that is holding it up is the large direct rollover (upper seven figures) reported on my return from several retirement funds into my Vanguard IRA. Refund is around $1500.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Efiled Fed 2/28/21 with H&R Block. IRS accepted it on 3/1/21. Still waiting on refund. Substantial changes will be made by IRS. $10,200 Unemployment exclusion put us under $150,000 AGI changing our refund, changing our Recovery Rebates, and made us eligible for CARES ACT payments, which we weren’t eligible for using 2019 AGI.
Filed NY on paper shortly after Fed and received refund in a few weeks. Have yet to file MA as we owe $519. (Worked in NY, live in MA)
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

e-filed federal on Apr 16 on T-Tax, received (small) ACH refund today. Sent state via snail mail. Don't expect a response for months.
4runner818

Post by 4runner818 »

Efiled via Turbo Tax on 4/15. Fed Refund received via direct deposit on 4/26.

I had a newborn in 2020 (my first). I was fully expecting to get his 3rd stimulus check payment in 2022 when I sent in my 2021 return. However, after submitting my 2020 tax return, it appears the IRS recomputed the stimulus automatically, recognizing there was now a new dependent, and out of nowhere I received $1400 via direct deposit in my account on 5/3.
Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound »

Finally!

efiled on 2/19/2021 and accepted within 30 mins.
State refund issued 3 weeks later
Fed refund posted to bank account on 5/6/2021....with an additional $7.69, assuming it is interest paid on stimulus credit claimed.
SteelyEyed

Post by SteelyEyed »

I mailed ours in on 2/23/2021 (I had to include an attachment that FreeTaxUSA did not support). I got our refund today with $6 more than I had expected.
L. H.

Post by L. H. »

I e-filed with FreeFileFillableForms on 2/14/2021, had the money in my account 2/22/2021. Considering I submitted on a Sunday, they actually only took 5 business days to get it to me. Very nice.

Had two different state taxes due to a move. I used each state's own e-file system to file them. My old state took only a couple days to get my refund to me, and the other (new) state took over a month. Might be because I was new in their system and they needed to do more stuff. We'll see if it is that slow next year.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

I e filed in early February and had the small refund in 6 days.

I then helped a friend e file on February 19. That return still shows “pending”.

Local elected officials will be involved shortly. This behavior is boarding on criminal. I strongly advised this friend to adjust their holding so that next year they owe money. Enough is enough...
bgf

Post by bgf »

I think it was 2-3 weeks, late April we got it. I also received what I believe is a "plus-up" payment or an advance of my 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit on 5/5/21. Total surprise to see that hit the account but I'll take it!
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"
hnd

Post by hnd »

i talked to a family friend CPA. he mentioned they are going through the Stimulus things by hand and for those with new dependents, they are also going to try and catch up on the 2021 payment too. so who knows. we took on a foster child July 2nd so I feel like thats throwing a monkey wrench in everything.

still waiting on federal after 3/4 acceptance.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

SquawkIdent wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 1:38 pm I e filed in early February and had the small refund in 6 days.

I then helped a friend e file on February 19. That return still shows “pending”.

Local elected officials will be involved shortly. This behavior is boarding on criminal. I strongly advised this friend to adjust their holding so that next year they owe money. Enough is enough...
In general, no reason to loan the government money (aka get a refund). The sole exception being I guess if you want to get an extra $5K worth of I-bonds as your refund.

While I don't think it is "bordering on criminal", it is irritating. And a very opaque process. I filed April 8. Still waiting, the IRS "Where's my refund" just says
Your tax return is still being processed.

A refund date will be provided when available.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Assume I'll be waiting quite a while for the additional promised automatic recalculated refund due to early filing followed by change in tax treatment of unemployment benefits at the federal level.
Topic Author
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

OP here - my sad, updated information:

• Return e-filed on TurboTax and accepted: 02/20/2021
• Refund ($9,000) received (direct deposit): still being processed as of 5/15/2021

On the other hand, I just filed a return for my elderly patients recently, and this is their status.

• Return e-filed on TurboTax and accepted: 05/10/2021
• Refund ($900) to be direct deposited by 5/18/2021
Last edited by CardinalRule on Sat May 15, 2021 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Does seem hit & miss. I e-filed 4/26 and received the direct deposit on May 11. My return is not terribly complex.
Soon2BXProgrammer

CardinalRule wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 1:28 pm OP here - my sad, updated information:

• Return e-filed on TurboTax and accepted: 02/20/2021
• Refund ($9,000) received (direct deposit): still being processed as of 5/15/2021
We are in the same boat. I've been waiting a long time, and still waiting for my refund.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

efiled about 8 weeks ago...got a notice a week ago I needed to verify my identity... after several calls I finally was able to(kept getting a recording saying they were not taking calls at this time and to try again later. I think it’s gonna take another 8 weeks now that I verified my identity (never had to do this before...strange) anyhow my quarterly taxes are due in about 3 weeks which is about 5x my refund. ....somewhat laughable. My brother submitted his a week before me and got his in 2-3 weeks....I was so lucky to have to have a set of human eyes look over my stuff I suppose.
marep

Post by marep »

For the first time we hired a CPA to do our taxes. He electronically filed them on 2/26. That evening I realized he made two errors that affected our adjusted gross income plus he did not include a required form! I immediately contacted him and he filed an amended return on 3/5. Before the IRS received the amended return I went on their Where's My Refund website and it did say they received the original return and it was in process. But after he filed the amended return it said they had no information.

So I went on the Where's My Amended Return website and it said they received the amended return and is in process.

So here we sit waiting. We are seniors newly retired and no pension and not collecting SS yet. Living off cash savings to cover monthly expenses so very low income overall for now.

The refund due from the original return is $4309 and on the second return is $768. This is the first time in our lives we are entitled to such a huge refund. So naturally it figures we did not get it. In the past we always got our small refund very quickly, which we then had to turn over to NYS which we always owed taxes to. Now we thankfully live in NH so no state taxes to deal with.

We want our money but good luck getting any specific information or help from an IRS rep IF you can even get through to them.

We even mailed Form 911, request for Taxpayer Advocate Service Assistance to the local federal office in our state. No response.

Lesson learned for us- get a new CPA - or maybe even go back to doing them myself and save $350 if I can find a program much less than that that makes it worth it - and next time do not file until the last minute and make sure you check everything the CPA does before we sign the return.

Our son-I did his taxes for him and filed his return in February also. He owed a little money ($350) but figured file it and then pay the money due by April 15. Wouldn't you know then they change the rule about having to claim taxes on unemployment for 2020, of which he was on for quite a while over the summer after being furloughed due to COVID. So now he is waiting to get his money back for that. They very quickly took the $350 out of his checking account though!

Lesson learned for him- prepare taxes early but don't submit them until the last minute from now on.

[Trolling comment removed by moderator oldcomputerguy]
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

e-filed on May 12, refund pending in bank on May 18, cleared on May 20. Lots of forms (1040, schD,schC,8801,1116,schB,plus lots more)
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

eddot98 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:09 pm Efiled Fed 2/28/21 with H&R Block. IRS accepted it on 3/1/21. Still waiting on refund. Substantial changes will be made by IRS. $10,200 Unemployment exclusion put us under $150,000 AGI changing our refund, changing our Recovery Rebates, and made us eligible for CARES ACT payments, which we weren’t eligible for using 2019 AGI.
Filed NY on paper shortly after Fed and received refund in a few weeks. Have yet to file MA as we owe $519. (Worked in NY, live in MA)
Update:
Still waiting on Federal, still shows as processing.
Mailed MA return in with check for balance owed on 5/14. MA DOR cashed check a week later.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

alpenglow wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:00 am
thawing wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:17 pm Federal efiled, accepted 3/5, refund still being processed. This does include EV credit.

Fed says will post 5/26 with $6.00 interest. :moneybag

EDIT: Is the interest from the Fed taxable? :)
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

alpenglow wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 3:51 pm
alpenglow wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 7:00 am

Fed says will post 5/26 with $6.00 interest. :moneybag

EDIT: Is the interest from the Fed taxable? :)
Yes, but < $10 I don't know that they will issue a 1099?
Joe Public

Post by Joe Public »

I submitted my federal and state (CA) returns via U.S. mail on March 3. I requested a direct deposit refund for both.

State: refund received on March 19
Federal: refund received on May 19
jj

Post by jj »

E-filed with Turbo Tax on Sunday, 28th March

Refund in my bank account on Monday, 12th April
...it is madness to risk losing what you need in pursuing what you simply desire. Warren E. Buffett
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

E-file with HRBlock on May 16. Refunds on May 26. That's for two separate tax returns filed in our household.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

E-filed with TurboTax on May 17th, received fed refund yesterday, May 25th. I don't have a state return.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

I filed online in Feb and received the refund IIRC in April. I normally don't get a refund but this was by far the longest wait.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

E-filed Fed on 4/4 and return was confirmed accepted that day. Still waiting current status as of now "Your tax return is still being processed." So coming up on two months. Normally I don't have a major refund but thanks to a legal (but not really actual) employer change last year my SS got double withheld so that sucks but at least I will soon be getting 3% courtesy of the IRS on my money so there is that. Nothing special about my taxes compared to year's past and none of the COVID credits or other complications applied. This is by far the longest I have waited and there are folks on other forums who have been waiting even longer.

State was a mess this year too. VA requires you to file in VA with either standard deduction or itemized as you claimed on Federal taxes. I did standard HoH Fed but VA was convinced that my $300 CARES act deduction for cash donations last year meant itemized and said I owed them more in taxes. Thankfully just today they agreed with my mailed in response and my refund is pending.
Last edited by THY4373 on Wed May 26, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nickpete123

Post by nickpete123 »

Filed & Accepted February 17th, 90% of refund deposited today, exactly 14 weeks.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

E-filed with TurboTax on May 16th. Fed and state accepted the next day on May 17th. Feds took their payment 3 days later on May 19th. CA State refund received 8 days later on May 24th. Easy Peasy!
jackrabbit14

Post by jackrabbit14 »

Sure wish the IRS would get around to refunding my excess APTC for 2020...
Soon2BXProgrammer

3/31 - IRS Accepted Return
As of today (just changed):
Refunds site says: Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available.
Record of account transcript shows: Refund will occur on 6/1 with greater than $10 of interest...

Will i get a 1099-int from the IRS?