How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
EnjoyIt

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by EnjoyIt »

TurboTax e-filed April 15th. Still waiting.

As noted above, it appears you either get it right away, or you wait 3-4 months. I hope I get it any day now

:fingers crossed:
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

E-filed via TurboTax on 4/10. Refund, with 3% interest, pending for tomorrow. Finally.

In my case there were no issues, no revisions from IRS, no letters or notices. Roughly 120 days.
chrismj

Post by chrismj »

Received ours on Monday with interest, filed in mid-May.

Over those few months I triple checked my 1040 to see if I had made a mistake but these were the simplest taxes I've done in years, only a standard deduction and some childcare FSA. I guess it's just a backlog issue.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Anyone know what the date that interests begins accruing assuming timely filed?

RT
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

UPDATE:
filed April 15th
IRS.gov says it is approved and I will get my refund on August 18th to my bank.
Doing the math it appears I am getting an additional ~1% which accounts for the IRS paying 3% interest for 4 months being delayed.

Plus. I just noticed my bank account has an additional $129 in it from the IRS labeled IRS TREA 310. From what I gather doing an online search this is some kind of stimulus check for overpayment of unemployment benefits. I never collected unemployment so not sure what this is. I would call the IRS to find out, but no one ever picks up over there so I guess I'll just sit on it.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

Is the $129 equal to the interest? Sometimes it is separate.

The IRS would not refund unemployment if you didn’t collect unemployment.

They are also refunding the Premium Tax Credit from Form 8962, if you had marketplace insurance.

Generally anything extra or odd should get an explanation letter within 30 days.
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Asyouwish wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 1:56 pm Is the $129 equal to the interest? Sometimes it is separate.

The IRS would not refund unemployment if you didn’t collect unemployment.

They are also refunding the Premium Tax Credit from Form 8962, if you had marketplace insurance.

Generally anything extra or odd should get an explanation letter within 30 days.
No, the interest is part of the refund. This is something else.

The bank statement call is IRS TREA 310
Online search talks about some unemployment credit or maybe child tax credit.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

legio XX wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:35 pm I won't even try to guess when the refund and missed stimulus will crawl in.
It crawled in on August 3. :D Now, if only NY State would get its act together ...
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

e-filed the last day (May 17), just got it (plus interest) via direct deposit this week.
TSintheATL

Post by TSintheATL »

My accountant e-filed for me on June 22nd. Received Federal refund in the mail about a month later. Still awaiting State (Georgia) refund.
Klewles

Post by Klewles »

Mailed paper return on April 25, it requested refund be applied to 2021 taxes. Nevertheless, I received a refund check in mail August 23, it included nearly 4 months interest. Account transcript says return received on April 30, processed on August 20.
epargnant

Post by epargnant »

epargnant wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 4:50 am E-filed May 19th and still waiting. It seems you either get the refund within 21 days or else wait 3-4 months. Though some people have been waiting 4+ months and that is concerning. Our refund is big due to an adoption tax credit and is earmarked to pay off the minivan we bought. My frustration is tempered by the fact that we're supposedly earning 3% interest on the refund while the car loan is .9%.

Thanks for all those who have updated when they received their refunds- it's been very helpful and eases the anxiety that there's something wrong with our return. Most likely, it needs a human to sign off on it and it's just in a backlog.
Today my status bar came back on where’s my refund & says refund approved, with refund expected Sept 2nd. So that’s within the 3-4 months many people are experiencing.

I thought about filling out my congresswoman’s online help form but decided to wait for 4 months based on replies here. Glad I didn’t have to go that route.
Gd_Enf_56

Post by Gd_Enf_56 »

It took 5 months and 6 days - and yes I was counting :P .

Our 2020 federal tax return was delivered on Mar 16th since we were denied the efile option. The strange thing is the refund was direct deposited to our checking account on Aug 25th. I guess they finally figured out that DH's Social Security payments are already direct deposited.

I plan to owe the Feds going forward. :sharebeer

Still waiting on the 2020 State tax return. Called them and they are still working thru the backlog.
KSOC

Re: IRS Tax Refund - 10 Weeks w/o a Refund?

Post by KSOC »

KSOC wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:55 pm
HoosierMike wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:50 pm [Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

-Is anyone experiencing long delay in receiving your 2020 federal tax refund?

-I filed electronically on March 14 via TurboTax. A simple return, Married filing Joint with Pension, SSA, and some investment income.

-File was accepted by IRS March 15 with estimated Fed Refund Date of April 5

-As of today, May 26, (72 days later), the IRS "Where is My Refund?" site tells me my return is being processed :(

-I called IRS today and after the lengthy "press this number if you are calling for..." routine received this message: "The IRS is extremely busy and unable to talk to me at this time. Please call back another time."

-It's now been 72 days since IRS received my return. Never had a delay like this one.

Not sure where to go next.
Filed and accepted 3/1. State took my payment immediately. Fed still says processing. I tried creating an IRS account, but because I moved states in 2020, they could not identify me online. So they say they will send me code by mail, and stated it should arrived in 5-10 business days. It's now been 3 weeks, no letter. I'll give it until 6/1, then I'm contacting my House Rep & Senators. This is ludicrous.
Update: Finally received refund today. Included was $36 interest. I received a letter from the IRS June 21st stating my 1095-A forms (3 total) didn't match their records. So I tripled checked the data I entered into the tax program. I stood by my numbers, made copies of the forms and mailed back to the IRS. I guess my numbers were right. Start to finish, 6 months and 1 week. My House Reps office was very helpful in the process.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

Update:
Filed February
Request for info returned in June (not anything they did not have, CPA said it was for related to identity fraud efforts)
Refund in bank this am.

It would have been better if the IRS was realistic and open in timing.
Pale Blue Dot
KarenC

Post by KarenC »

KarenC wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 6:47 am E-filed on May 13th and my refund is still "processing."
Just got the refund (so, approximately 4 months after filing).
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself—and you are the easiest person to fool." — Richard P. Feynman
bugleheadd

Post by bugleheadd »

about two weeks after i filed early May
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

Filed by mail at the end of May. WIMR always returned the "You may have entered the wrong information" message, so that on the 15th we faxed the taxpayer advocate. That very same night the message changed to "Your tax return is still being processed", so at least they got it.
It may have been just by chance, but many years ago in a similar situation (not knowing if the return had been received with the deadline approaching) I did the same and within 24 hours WIMR showed the return being processed. The taxpayer advocate never contacted me.

We have a $5k refund and requested savings bonds; it would be nice if they were issued by October.
HasHas

Post by HasHas »

We mailed ours in on the last day (May 17th). I just checked the refund status and it says: "You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again." We sent it through USPS and the package is being shown as "delivered" on the USPS website.

Do folks here have any suggestions on the next steps? Shall we just stay put since our wait does not seem to be out of the ordinary based on the other posts in this thread? Or is it better to contact the taxpayer advocate? If so, do we do that by filling out form 911? Thanks.
Dude2

Post by Dude2 »

Finally got it after 3 months. Filed electronically end of June, received end of Sept. (IRS site claims you should expect 21 days for an electronically filed return).

Meanwhile, I did 3 returns myself for 2020 (for family), and my company did mine. The delays did not prevent the IRS sending us a letter for one of the family returns, which, after waiting on hold trying to get through to the 1-800 number practically all-day, turned out to be a mistake on their part (applied the check sent with the return to the wrong tax year).

Not scoring any points with me IRS. Stress is not good for one's health. Somebody should come up with a better system.

BTW, the IRS site never acknowledged the receipt of my return. The refund just showed up one day in my bank account. Also, they actually sent me more money (with no explanation) which I attribute to missing out on at least one stimulus payment. Who knows, maybe they'll fine me later for giving me back too much.

Had an incident in a prior year where we sent an amended form with a check for tax on some missed gains. They cashed it, then couple of months later sent a check back saying it was a mistake on our parts. Then couple of months later, received an official letter, letting us know of the mistake we made and asking us to send the amount owed plus interest. Blah, blah. You get the picture. You can't even do things right and expect the right results.
Then ’tis like the breath of an unfee’d lawyer.
iamblessed

I amended my taxes in May. The state sent the check no check from the IRS is this normal?

Post by iamblessed »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I heard they are way behind.
jebmke

Re: I amended my taxes in May. The state sent the check no check from the IRS is this normal?

Post by jebmke »

they are way behind. My brother is still waiting for refund from an amendment that he sent in September, 2020.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged iamblessed's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I'm still waiting on refunds for 2019 and 2020.
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
boglefab

Post by boglefab »

I am still waiting for mine. Filed on 4/15/21.
AlohaJoe

Re: Is anyone still waiting on the IRS tax refund like me?

Post by AlohaJoe »

Chris001122 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:30 am Is anyone still waiting on the IRS tax refund like me?
Sure, lots of people. We haven't received ours. Same thing happened last year, too. I don't remember exactly how long it took. A year? Long enough that I discovered they only issue paper check refunds after a certain period of time has passed. Something like "if it has been more than X months then we cannot automatically deposit it to a bank account".
What are my options? They have failed to provide this after months of waiting.
You could try calling your local House of Representatives member and asking for constituent services. But I doubt that's actually going to do anything. There are simply millions of refunds, changes in tax law that came at the last minute, covid shutdowns, and years of massively underfunding the IRS that have all come together. It isn't like they are sitting there doing nothing. They are processing returns every day in the order they were received.

Last year mine was "we haven't even received it yet" for months and months and months. Then one day it was suddenly "oh, we received it and are processing it" and then a day or two later it was done. I imagine the same thing will happen this year.

For what it is worth, I understand the frustration. The minimal amount of interest we receive for a late refund seems like small consolation for being in limbo for months on end. It makes it hard for me to even do things like tax loss harvesting since I don't really have 100% complete confidence in my carryover loss from last year since the IRS hasn't accepted my return.
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

I’m on the opposite side of the long wait! E filed on Oct 15 and received federal rebate on the 25th and state rebate yesterday.
carolc

Post by carolc »

I filed an amended return on 4/15/2021 for 2020. Still waiting for the refund.

carolc
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Still waiting.

Have received none of the advance child credit either :oops:
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged Chris001122's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

Ditto. Sent our 2020 paper return via FedEx in late May, and still no evidence that it has been processed.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

I filed electronically the beginning of February 2021. Took 6 weeks to get the response "your tax refund is being processed" ~ and it has been "in process" ever since. Thanks to a modest Roth conversion, and filing my 2020 tax return pre-pandemic, I didn't qualify for any of the stimulus checks ~ which is why I'd really like to get my refund. :annoyed
SleepyChef

Post by SleepyChef »

Filed a paper return in May (mailed on the 14th). Tracking showed that it arrived but I now see that they are processing it as of Wednesday (10/27). I was beginning to think it was lost and debated resending until I saw this thread :shock: . All in looks like it took 5 months for it to begin being processed. Maybe the refund will arrive just in time for Christmas :D
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

Filed a paper return on Oct 15.

After 5 weeks, they haven't started processing it. We'll see...
25% VTI | 25% VXUS | 12.5% AVUV | 10% AVDV | 2.5% VWO | 25% BND/SCHR/SCHP
earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan »

Filed electronically on Oct 14, received Fed within 3 weeks. Haven't heard from State yet. Guess I'm a lucky one!
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

earlywynnfan wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:01 am Filed electronically on Oct 14, received Fed within 3 weeks. Haven't heard from State yet. Guess I'm a lucky one!
Definitely lucky. Filed electronically in April. Still waiting :oops:
balbrec2

Post by balbrec2 »

3 wks
moneyflowin

Post by moneyflowin »

ivgrivchuck wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:57 am Filed a paper return on Oct 15.

You're gonna be waiting a while. I paper filed Federal and state forms several weeks before you did and my 1040 still has the status "hasn't been received", even though the tracking number showed it was delivered. My state processed my return within 3 weeks. Fortunately I wasn't due a refund.

Anyone notice how when you owe money, they take it within 24 hours but when they owe you money, they suddenly have Covid-related issues causing it to take months?
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

On August 23rd, Mom received a letter notifying they had adjusted her refund up by $1200 over what we filed. Expect payment in 4-6 weeks. That was 12 weeks ago.
AQ

Post by AQ »

Another month passed, and still waiting for my refunds. Debating with myself keeping waiting or calling IRS...
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

moneyflowin wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:40 pm
ivgrivchuck wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:57 am Filed a paper return on Oct 15.

You're gonna be waiting a while. I paper filed Federal and state forms several weeks before you did and my 1040 still has the status "hasn't been received", even though the tracking number showed it was delivered. My state processed my return within 3 weeks. Fortunately I wasn't due a refund.
You were right. 7 weeks passed (and counting), no signs in the IRS site about them even receiving the return, so it probably is still in the unprocessed pile... Maybe they'll get into it next year, who knows...

State return (CA) was processed in a few weeks without any issues.
Sprucebark

Post by Sprucebark »

Filed mid April. Paper return (there was no way to do an efile in this case). Still waiting 8 months later.
Jimi

Post by Jimi »

Not very quickly ~

I filed electronically 2/16/21.
Today (12/7/21) I received my refund.
They dinged me $200 for some reason ~ supposedly going to get a letter by 12/13 explaining.

Two weeks ago I camped out on the phone and finally made contact with a live IRS person.
The reason they gave for not processing my refund was that they had to verify my ID.
Even though I had an IRS generated ID for submitting my tax return, this is some other process that entailed reviewing
the W2 info on my 2019 tax return. In theory I was supposed to receive a letter explaining
all this and a phone number to call.

Long story short, I never received that letter. I spent close to 7 hrs on the phone
getting verified between the incorrect phone numbers I was given by the IRS,
the hold times, computers being off-line etc.

Once my ID was verified it took 10 days(even though I was told it would take 9 to 16 weeks to get my refund)
to get my return processed and my refund electronically deposited.

:?
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

Sprucebark wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:50 am Filed mid April. Paper return (there was no way to do an efile in this case). Still waiting 8 months later.
That's pretty extreme... Wouldn't it be the time to contact them?
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

ivgrivchuck wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:32 pm
Sprucebark wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:50 am Filed mid April. Paper return (there was no way to do an efile in this case). Still waiting 8 months later.
Same here. Mailed hardcopy April 16, still waiting. (It was a Final return for dad, and Final returns cannot be filed electronically.) Called before Thanksgiving and IRS couldn't even say if they had received the return in the mail; did say to not send another copy.
drk

Post by drk »

drk wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:18 pm Filed Feb 27th, accepted within an hour, still processing. If they've hit mid-Feb, maybe I get mine in early May.
For some reason, my refund was split in two. The first chunk arrived in July. Now my tax transcript indicates that the second is on its way, although it hasn't hit my account yet.
A useful razor: anyone asking about speculative strategies on Bogleheads.org has no business using them.
Tachyon

Post by Tachyon »

This thread made me feel better. Filed paper return 9/13/21, certified mail, still waiting, thought something must be wrong. Then saw all the posts here. Ok I'm guessing I'll be lucky if I get my refund prior to 2021 filing season.
Sprucebark

Post by Sprucebark »

ivgrivchuck wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:32 pm
I think I’m not the only one going on this long. I’ll probably let it run until the year mark and then follow up.
financiallycurious

Post by financiallycurious »

Still waiting. Filed in early fall after an extension.
Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 »

Still waiting.

I filed in early April.
The IRS sent a letter asking me to file Form 8283. This was in September.
So at least I know they received my return.