How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
User avatar
Topic Author
CardinalRule
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by CardinalRule »

If you have filed your 2020 federal tax return, with a refund due, how quickly did the IRS process it?

For us
• Return e-filed on TurboTax and accepted: 02/20/2021
• Refund received (direct deposit): still being processed as of 3/6/2021 (https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/i ... status.jsp)

This is very new to us - we have not had a refund for many years. :confused In our case, it's about $9,000, due to some miscalculations on estimated taxes (related to realized capital gains).
Volkdancer
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:37 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Volkdancer »

Have you checked the account into which your refund was/is to be deposited?

I received my refund within ten days. That was two weeks ago.

Checking the IRS site, it said that the return had been accepted but not processed. It still says that. Go figure.

Karl V
Grogs
Posts: 775
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:55 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Grogs »

I filed mine last Sunday, 28 Feb. Got accepted 3 minutes later and the check was deposited in my account Thursday, 4 March.
stan1
Posts: 10003
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by stan1 »

The deposit shows as pending in our credit union checking account about 3 working days prior to receipt of funds.

Was quite fast for us this year (cash in account on 6th working day).
L82GAME
Posts: 547
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:29 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by L82GAME »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:19 am For us
• Return e-filed on TurboTax and accepted: 02/20/2021
• Refund received (direct deposit): still being processed as of 3/6/2021
A very similar timeline applies to us, and we have yet to receive our refund. In past years, we experienced a quicker turnaround. However, IRS states that it may take up to 21 days from receipt, but perhaps longer under certain circumstances.
"Still I am learning." - Michelangelo
MishkaWorries
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by MishkaWorries »

We filed Friday 2/26 in the evening and friday morning 3/5 the money was in our bank account.
We plan. G-d laughs.
diy60
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:54 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by diy60 »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:19 am If you have filed your 2020 federal tax return, with a refund due, how quickly did the IRS process it?
I haven't filed yet for 2020, but for the last decade or so it usually averages about 10 business days from when I e-file to direct deposit. My refunds are typically under a $100.
HotWheels22
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:15 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by HotWheels22 »

Filed on 2/12 and got federal before the end of February, state (NC) a few days later.
User avatar
obafgkm
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by obafgkm »

Filed February 13, 2021 with H&R Block software. Received notice of acceptance about an hour later.

Received refund February 18, 2021 into my credit union account.

Received $4000 of my $5000 in paper I Savings Bonds February 27, 2021. Still waiting on my last $1000 savings bond as of this writing.
Adfmacro
Posts: 210
Joined: Fri May 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Adfmacro »

I e-filed via third party app on 2/20 and refund was in my account by Friday 2/26. It was a small refund with child tax credits, pension, and one w-2.
User avatar
cowdogman
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by cowdogman »

Filed on 2/19 and accepted by IRS about 30 minutes later. Still waiting on refund, but it is a large one--over $10K. And we had a ton of refundable credits this year--PTC, ACTC, AOC and recovery credits--which I think are an indicator of fraud for the IRS.
Last edited by cowdogman on Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
d0gerz
Posts: 290
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:45 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by d0gerz »

Filed 2/23 using Free Fillable Forms. Return accepted 35 minutes later. Refund deposited 3/3.
Candor
Posts: 445
Joined: Sat May 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Candor »

It took a little over a week e-filing with TurboTax.
Time is your friend, impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle
earlyout
Posts: 1468
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:24 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by earlyout »

8 days. Filed and accepted using Turbo Tax on Feb. 25. Direct deposit on Mar. 5.
Da5id
Posts: 2626
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:20 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Da5id »

Took 11 days to get refund for my son's federal return which I e-filed for him with TurboTax. I'm still waiting on some K-1s to file my return.
joe-kr
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:16 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by joe-kr »

Filed on 2/19 with TurboTax and accepted by IRS same day.
Still waiting on over 6k refund.
We also have ACTC, AOC and recovery credits.

When I check the IRS website, they show no record of my return.
Normchad
Posts: 2301
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Normchad »

I got my refund on February 23rd. I filed early, but turbo tax held it for a while before the IRS was ready to accept it. It was all very quick though.
mbcruiser
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:48 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by mbcruiser »

E-filed via free AARP Foundation's Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) program https://www.irs.gov/individuals/free-ta ... -taxpayers.
IRS accepted 02/25/21, direct deposit received 03/04/21.
makeitcount
Posts: 40
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:07 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by makeitcount »

02/20 filed electronically using TurboTax
03/01 received refund
User avatar
cowdogman
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by cowdogman »

joe-kr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:13 pm Filed on 2/19 with TurboTax and accepted by IRS same day.
Still waiting on over 6k refund.
We also have ACTC, AOC and recovery credits.

When I check the IRS website, they show no record of my return.
Did you check the "Where's my refund?" page at irs.gov? https://www.irs.gov/refunds My return shows as accepted and has for at least a week. I also filed on 2/19 and am waiting for a refund.
joe-kr
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:16 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by joe-kr »

cowdogman wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:55 pm
joe-kr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:13 pm Filed on 2/19 with TurboTax and accepted by IRS same day.
Still waiting on over 6k refund.
We also have ACTC, AOC and recovery credits.

When I check the IRS website, they show no record of my return.
Did you check the "Where's my refund?" page at irs.gov? https://www.irs.gov/refunds My return shows as accepted and has for at least a week. I also filed on 2/19 and am waiting for a refund.
Yes, sadly I just get this error message:
“ You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again”

I have seen other people post that they receive the same message, so I just hope it’s a glitch. Next Friday will be 21 days since I filed so then I can call to check.
kelvan80
Posts: 251
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by kelvan80 »

Efiled at irs.gov fillable forms and received refund 9 days later. Return was accepted within 24 hours.
User avatar
JoMoney
Posts: 11355
Joined: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:31 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by JoMoney »

We had a thread over here with several replies on this topic earlier:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=340996
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
User avatar
Aslan18
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:55 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Aslan18 »

MishkaWorries wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:57 am We filed Friday 2/26 in the evening and friday morning 3/5 the money was in our bank account.
+1
Impossible is a word to be found only in the dictionary of fools. ~ Napoleon Bonaparte
User avatar
Steelersfan
Posts: 3904
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Steelersfan »

I eFiled 2/24 and got notice yesterday that my refund will be in my checking account on 3/10. That's two weeks later. I'm pleased.
WillRetire
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:01 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by WillRetire »

L82GAME wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:48 am
CardinalRule wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:19 am For us
• Return e-filed on TurboTax and accepted: 02/20/2021
• Refund received (direct deposit): still being processed as of 3/6/2021
A very similar timeline applies to us, and we have yet to receive our refund. In past years, we experienced a quicker turnaround. However, IRS states that it may take up to 21 days from receipt, but perhaps longer under certain circumstances.
Same here: eFiled on 2/20. Return was accepted within a few hours, but we are still awaiting refund. Finally, Saturday morning (3/6) IRS' "where's my refund" indicated return processed and refund will arrive in a week or so. This seems later than usual for the return to be "processed". They may have had a flood of returns filed in the days after Feb 12th, including from people who wanted to register a lower 2020 AGI to get a better Stimulus v3.0.
N.Y.Cab
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:46 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by N.Y.Cab »

obafgkm wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:14 am Filed February 13, 2021 with H&R Block software. Received notice of acceptance about an hour later.

Received refund February 18, 2021 into my credit union account.

Received $4000 of my $5000 in paper I Savings Bonds February 27, 2021. Still waiting on my last $1000 savings bond as of this writing.
I’m also missing an I bond and was told to write a letter to below to investigate.

Treasury Retail Securities Services

P.O. Box 214

Minneapolis, MN 55480
844-284-2676
User avatar
obafgkm
Posts: 557
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 am
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by obafgkm »

obafgkm wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:14 am Received $4000 of my $5000 in paper I Savings Bonds February 27, 2021. Still waiting on my last $1000 savings bond as of this writing.
N.Y.Cab wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:06 am I’m also missing an I bond and was told to write a letter to below to investigate.

Treasury Retail Securities Services

P.O. Box 214

Minneapolis, MN 55480
844-284-2676
Thanks. I'll wait another week, just in case it was delayed in the mail somehow.

I'm pretty sure of the serial number; the six $50s were in consecutive numbers, and the $1000 I am missing I think would be in the middle in a series of four consecutive numbers and I received the other three.

I trust I'll be made whole with a paper bond, one way or another.
ensign
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:18 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by ensign »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:19 am If you have filed your 2020 federal tax return, with a refund due, how quickly did the IRS process it?

For us
• Return e-filed on TurboTax and accepted: 02/20/2021
• Refund received (direct deposit): still being processed as of 3/6/2021 (https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/en/i ... status.jsp)

This is very new to us - we have not had a refund for many years. :confused In our case, it's about $9,000, due to some miscalculations on estimated taxes (related to realized capital gains).
Ten days.
Sjkk0608
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:33 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Sjkk0608 »

joe-kr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:14 pm
cowdogman wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:55 pm
joe-kr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:13 pm Filed on 2/19 with TurboTax and accepted by IRS same day.
Still waiting on over 6k refund.
We also have ACTC, AOC and recovery credits.

When I check the IRS website, they show no record of my return.
Did you check the "Where's my refund?" page at irs.gov? https://www.irs.gov/refunds My return shows as accepted and has for at least a week. I also filed on 2/19 and am waiting for a refund.
Yes, sadly I just get this error message:
“ You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again”

I have seen other people post that they receive the same message, so I just hope it’s a glitch. Next Friday will be 21 days since I filed so then I can call to check.
I have the same error. Filed electronically on 2/24 and according to TT was accepted by IRS. Keep us updated!
joe-kr
Posts: 54
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:16 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by joe-kr »

Sjkk0608 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:21 pm
joe-kr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:14 pm
cowdogman wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:55 pm
joe-kr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:13 pm Filed on 2/19 with TurboTax and accepted by IRS same day.
Still waiting on over 6k refund.
We also have ACTC, AOC and recovery credits.

When I check the IRS website, they show no record of my return.
Did you check the "Where's my refund?" page at irs.gov? https://www.irs.gov/refunds My return shows as accepted and has for at least a week. I also filed on 2/19 and am waiting for a refund.
Yes, sadly I just get this error message:
“ You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again”

I have seen other people post that they receive the same message, so I just hope it’s a glitch. Next Friday will be 21 days since I filed so then I can call to check.
I have the same error. Filed electronically on 2/24 and according to TT was accepted by IRS. Keep us updated!
I just tried an experiment. I entered 1 as my refund amount, and this time it told me my return was still processing, with an expected refund of $0.00.

I hope this is just a temporary status. Please check if you see the same.
Alan S.
Posts: 10597
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 6:07 pm
Location: Prescott, AZ

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Alan S. »

e filed 2/19, accepted 2/19, refund including rebate recovery direct deposited 2/26.
dink2win
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:53 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by dink2win »

Parents efiled on 2/25, it was accepted by state on 2/26, refund was direct deposited on 3/4. Took 4 business days.

Mine was efiled and accepted on 3/7, so hopefully I get my refunds sometime later this week.
Sjkk0608
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:33 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Sjkk0608 »

joe-kr wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:28 pm
Sjkk0608 wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:21 pm
joe-kr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:14 pm
cowdogman wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:55 pm
joe-kr wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:13 pm Filed on 2/19 with TurboTax and accepted by IRS same day.
Still waiting on over 6k refund.
We also have ACTC, AOC and recovery credits.

When I check the IRS website, they show no record of my return.
Did you check the "Where's my refund?" page at irs.gov? https://www.irs.gov/refunds My return shows as accepted and has for at least a week. I also filed on 2/19 and am waiting for a refund.
Yes, sadly I just get this error message:
“ You may not have entered your information correctly. Please verify your personal tax data and try again”

I have seen other people post that they receive the same message, so I just hope it’s a glitch. Next Friday will be 21 days since I filed so then I can call to check.
I have the same error. Filed electronically on 2/24 and according to TT was accepted by IRS. Keep us updated!
I just tried an experiment. I entered 1 as my refund amount, and this time it told me my return was still processing, with an expected refund of $0.00.

I hope this is just a temporary status. Please check if you see the same.
Same thing happened for me. I hope it is temporary and they are still processing...
Dandy
Posts: 6498
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Dandy »

E filed Federal the afternoon of 2/24 received "notice" of refund in my checking account on 3/2 and reflected in the account on 3/3. Never had such a quick refund and was expecting it to take weeks/months.

Haven't heard anything about state refund.
mptfan
Posts: 6499
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by mptfan »

I received mine 9 days after efiling.
User avatar
cowdogman
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by cowdogman »

Now receiving a new message when I check "Where's my refund?":
Refund Status Results

Your tax return is still being processed.
A refund date will be provided when available
Filed on 2/19.
IRouteIP
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:51 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by IRouteIP »

Return was accepted by the IRS on Feb 13

Still waiting for my refund...

First one in, last one out??? :confused
123
Posts: 7187
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by 123 »

Federal refund was posted to our account in 1 week. Federal return e-filed 3/2/21. Federal refund posted 3/9/21.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
chw
Posts: 1041
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 4:22 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by chw »

8 days Federal
3 days State (MA)

efiled both returns with TT.
User avatar
cowdogman
Posts: 937
Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:44 pm
Location: Washington State

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by cowdogman »

IRouteIP wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:01 pm Return was accepted by the IRS on Feb 13

Still waiting for my refund...

First one in, last one out??? :confused
Did you have a relatively large refund--and was the aggregate amount of your refundable credits (1040 Lines 27-31) relatively large? Mine were, which I am guessing is resulting in the delay.
User avatar
catdude
Posts: 1857
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:11 pm
Location: Central Oregon

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by catdude »

Filed on 2/12/2021, got my refund less than two weeks later...
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)
GJ48
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 am

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by GJ48 »

CardinalRule wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:19 am If you have filed your 2020 federal tax return, with a refund due, how quickly did the IRS process it?
efiled Federal and NY on Feb 18 using TurboTax
Federal accepted Feb 18
Fed refund Feb 25
NY accepted Feb 19
NY refund Mar 9
bhsince87
Posts: 2725
Joined: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:08 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by bhsince87 »

We're still waiting on a refund from 2019!

Also about $9,000.

It was a paper file, though.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
IRouteIP
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:51 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by IRouteIP »

cowdogman wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 6:03 pm Did you have a relatively large refund--and was the aggregate amount of your refundable credits (1040 Lines 27-31) relatively large? Mine were, which I am guessing is resulting in the delay.
Nothing crazy. Refund is around $3000. Used HR Block online version.
Tdubs
Posts: 1183
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:50 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by Tdubs »

Nine days, eleven for state refund.
User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 6131
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by anon_investor »

Hmm... I filed on 3/4 after TT fixed their Form 8606 glitch, let's see how long it takes to get my refund... I would have been able to file a few days sooner if not for the TT glitch.
User avatar
Topic Author
CardinalRule
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by CardinalRule »

So as of March 13 I'm still waiting on my refund (e-filed on February 20). Glad to see that so many other folks on the forum have gotten their money fairly quickly.

Refund Status Results

Your tax return is still being processed.

A refund date will be provided when available.
User avatar
Topic Author
CardinalRule
Posts: 650
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:01 am
Location: United States

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by CardinalRule »

From a Washington Post article this weekend:

The IRS is behind in processing nearly 7 million tax returns, slowing refunds as it implements new stimulus.

The agency has a backlog of returns that have not been processed for weeks. Now it has to send out stimulus payments and change the tax code in the middle of a busy filing season.
User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 6131
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: How quickly did you receive your 2020 tax refund?

Post by anon_investor »

I efiled via TT on 3/4. The IRS website updated overnight, now showing my refund approved with 3/17 as the scheduled transfer date to my bank.
Post Reply