Financial tools mentioned on the forum - strengths and weaknesses

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Financial tools mentioned on the forum - strengths and weaknesses

Post by HoosierJim »

The Chicago Virtual Boglehead chapter is meeting via Zoom on March 3rd at 7 pm CENTRAL to review and discuss financial tools frequently mentioned in the the forum. Besides the tools listed below, what tools have you found useful and why? If you have used the tools below, what are the strengths and weaknesses?

Some of the tools we will be looking at include:
  • Various brokerage financial and retirement planning tools
If you feel you have expertise in any of the tools, PM me and you can be part of the presentation.

We are inviting all Boglehead local chapter members to attend our Zoom meeting - just join your local chapter or if one isn't available send me a PM and I will add you to the Chicago email distribution. You can find the local chapters here.

You can also find a calendar of upcoming events here.
Eschew_Obfuscation

Re: Financial tools mentioned on the forum - strengths and weaknesses

Post by Eschew_Obfuscation »

Tools I've found helpful: Background on my recommendation: I started my financial journey by researching topics on the personal finance and financial independence subreddit forums. Since I didn't come from a family that was very financially literate, these flowcharts helped me chart out a path initially when I didn't know what actions I should prioritize. As a side note, I stumbled into the Bogleheads forum after reading the Bogleheads Guide to Investing which was off the financial independence subreddit recommended reading list.

Thanks for sharing this post by the way. I am still familiarizing myself with some of the Boglehead wiki pages so this was helpful to me. I'll try joining the zoom meeting in March as well.
"But I confess that half the time I worry that I have too much in equities, and the other half of the time that I don't have enough in equities." John Bogle
Peter Foley

Post by Peter Foley »

The MN Bogleheads had a plenary session review of retirement calculators in 2017. We used Darrow Kirkpatrick's website as a basis.

https://www.caniretireyet.com/the-best- ... lculators/

One of our steering committee members did the research and presentation and I added in some commentary comparing I-orp to the Retiree Portfolio Model. (I had run various scenarios using both.) The presenter concentrated on more complex calculators whose focus was withdrawals and withdrawal strategies.

Calculators included were Analyze Now, ES Planner Basic, Firecalc (a favorite of many), I-orp, Retiree Portfolio Model, Fidelity Retirement Planner, and Schwab IRA Roth Conversion Calculator.

One of the conclusions was the recommendation to use more than one calculator and compare results.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Jim asked me to do a shameless plug for my own activities... I maintain several tools for Bogleheads, here are the two most used ones:
  • Simba backtesting spreadsheet: purpose is to act as a reference for historical returns, and analyzing a (passive) portfolio based on such historical data. Check the corresponding wiki page.
  • Amortization Based Withdrawal 'advanced' calculator: handy tool for flexible present-value computations to derive your annual portfolio withdrawal from current portfolio balance and future cash flows (e.g. SS, Pension, etc). See the ABW wiki page. My calculator is the one associated with the "savings portfolio focused approach". This calculator is also extensively described in this blog article.
I have a few other small things here and there, but much less commonly used.
BedHead2020

Post by BedHead2020 »

I’ve enjoyed using Flexible Retirement Planner.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Peter Foley wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:52 pm The MN Bogleheads had a plenary session review of retirement calculators in 2017. We used Darrow Kirkpatrick's website as a basis.

https://www.caniretireyet.com/the-best- ... lculators/

One of our steering committee members did the research and presentation and I added in some commentary comparing I-orp to the Retiree Portfolio Model. (I had run various scenarios using both.) The presenter concentrated on more complex calculators whose focus was withdrawals and withdrawal strategies.

Calculators included were Analyze Now, ES Planner Basic, Firecalc (a favorite of many), I-orp, Retiree Portfolio Model, Fidelity Retirement Planner, and Schwab IRA Roth Conversion Calculator.

One of the conclusions was the recommendation to use more than one calculator and compare results.
Kirkpatrick is now recommending Pralana Gold, which is why I bought it.
https://www.caniretireyet.com/product-p ... alculator/

I tried Firecalc, iORP, RPM and a few others but I am happy with Pralana as its very flexible and therefore easy to do what ifs.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
Wenonah

Post by Wenonah »

Open Source to figure out when to take SS. It was great, but the tricky thing is it will make a recommendation based on a total number over your lifetime, but we figured out that we would get 300.00 less over 30 years if I took SS at 62 & my husband at 70, but they recommended I take it at 66.
vieques

Post by vieques »

I recommend looking into the MaxiFi Planner. Pretty happy with it and I believe they usually refund in the first 30 days if it doesn’t work for you.

I did try Pralana (Bronze) but the Excel-based system (2021 update) would constantly throw errors and peg my new laptop’s CPU to 100% for a long time and become unresponsive every time I edited any input value.
WoodSpinner

Post by WoodSpinner »

OP,

Let me second the Flexible Retirement Planner for a great Monte Carlo Tool.
https://www.flexibleretirementplanner.com/wp/

Would be happy to present a few minutes worth of needed.

WoodSpinner
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

I consider this a useful resource, even if different in character from on-line calculators already cited. It provides a way to compare one's own historical returns with those of a range of low-cost robo and hybrid-robo advisory services: https://www.backendbenchmarking.com/the-robo-report/
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

vieques wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:15 am I recommend looking into the MaxiFi Planner. Pretty happy with it and I believe they usually refund in the first 30 days if it doesn’t work for you.

I did try Pralana (Bronze) but the Excel-based system (2021 update) would constantly throw errors and peg my new laptop’s CPU to 100% for a long time and become unresponsive every time I edited any input value.
It was neck and neck for me between Pralana Gold and MaxiFi and really it was the caniretireyet endorsement that pushed me to Gold.

I did try out Pralana Bronze but imo that program doesn't give a fair representation of what the Gold can do and I almost didn't buy Gold because of being unimpressed with Bronze. If I had the same technical problems with Bronze you did I'd have been even less likely to buy Gold but luckily I didn't.

What options does MaxiFi have for doing Roth conversion what ifs?
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
vieques

Post by vieques »

beernutz wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 6:09 pm
vieques wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 3:15 am I recommend looking into the MaxiFi Planner. Pretty happy with it and I believe they usually refund in the first 30 days if it doesn’t work for you.

It was neck and neck for me between Pralana Gold and MaxiFi and really it was the caniretireyet endorsement that pushed me to Gold.

I did try out Pralana Bronze but imo that program doesn't give a fair representation of what the Gold can do and I almost didn't buy Gold because of being unimpressed with Bronze. If I had the same technical problems with Bronze you did I'd have been even less likely to buy Gold but luckily I didn't.

What options does MaxiFi have for doing Roth conversion what ifs?
I haven’t used the Roth conversion features but it does look like there is first-class support for what-if planning here. https://maxifiplanner.com/does-roth-con ... save-taxes has more information with a link to the software documentation at the bottom.
SnowBog

Post by SnowBog »

I tried MaxiFi a year+ ago. I enjoyed playing with it, but don't recall anything insightful to me to justify the price. (But I have access to eMoney, Fidelity Retirement Planner, and my own custom spreadsheets.).

Ended up asking for a refund, and they were true to their word. Strongly recommend anyone giving them a try.

The last few days I purchased and checked out Parlana Gold. Between the two, it's far less polished (glorified Excel file vs. an "app") and has some idiosyncrasies. For "new" users, I'd recommend MaxiFi.

Once I got over some of Pralana uniqueness (importing/exporting not saving, no "cutting"), I like it's overall structure, how it handles Roth recommendations, SS optimization, comparing different scenarios, etc. So I'm keeping Parlana Gold.
vieques

Post by vieques »

I forgot to mention that I also heard good things about https://www.newretirement.com/ but I haven’t personally tried it out. The website seems to be well structured and it might also be useful to BH readers.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Just another reminder about our next Chicago Virtual Bogleheads meeting - March 3rd - 7pm CENTRAL - will be about various financial tools available or discussed on the Bogleheads forum & wiki.

In addition to the tools mentioned above, we have a number of site users volunteering to explain their use of tools that work for them.

The agenda is to go quickly through a number of financial tools with examples. The presentation discussion will get feedback on which tools to have future meetings for a deep review.

If you have any suggestions of these tools - please comment on this post.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter.

You can find the local chapters here.

is50xenough

Post by is50xenough »

HoosierJim wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:06 am Just another reminder about our next Chicago Virtual Bogleheads meeting - March 3rd - 7pm CENTRAL - will be about various financial tools available or discussed on the Bogleheads forum & wiki.

In addition to the tools mentioned above, we have a number of site users volunteering to explain their use of tools that work for them.

The agenda is to go quickly through a number of financial tools with examples. The presentation discussion will get feedback on which tools to have future meetings for a deep review.

If you have any suggestions of these tools - please comment on this post.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter.

Was it recorded?
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

is50xenough wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:06 am Was it recorded?
Send an email to chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com if you would like a link to the presentation.
Last edited by HoosierJim on Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

We have scheduled to followup events to deep dive into products reviewed last night.

Pralana Gold - presentation and questions & answers - March 18 at 7 pm CENTRAL time

New Retirement - presentation and questions & answers - April 7 at 7 pm CENTRAL time.

Developers and/or company personnel will be on hand to answer any questions.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter (local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation)

GoneCamping

Post by GoneCamping »

BedHead2020 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:52 pm I’ve enjoyed using Flexible Retirement Planner.
Ditto, this is what I've been using :thumbsup
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

GoneCamping wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:57 pm
BedHead2020 wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:52 pm I’ve enjoyed using Flexible Retirement Planner.
Ditto, this is what I've been using :thumbsup
I posted a request for help setting up a virtual meeting to discuss FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT PLANNER like we are doing with Pralana Gold (3/18) & New Retirement(4/7) on the FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT PLANNER forum here

If you use FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT PLANNER and would be willing to discuss your experiences on an upcoming virtual meeting, please contact me at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

We have scheduled a virtual meeting to review the financial/retirement tool FLEXIBLE RETIREMENT PLANNER. This will be a deep dive into the product and the developer will also participate and answer any of our questions. If you are a users of the tool and would like to participate, send me a PM or email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com.

The meeting is on 3/24 at 7pm central time.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter. Local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation.

beernutz

Post by beernutz »

Should be an interesting meeting!
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

The Pralana tool review virtual meeting is tonight!!!!! - send me an email if you want to join us.

We have scheduled to followup events to deep dive into products reviewed last night.

Pralana Gold - presentation and questions & answers - March 18 at 7 pm CENTRAL time

New Retirement - presentation and questions & answers - April 7 at 7 pm CENTRAL time.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter (local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation)

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

The Pralana tool review virtual meeting starts today Thursday 3/18/2021 at

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

- send me an email if you want to join us.

siamond

Post by siamond »

Jim, the cFIREsim author refreshed the tool and is back to being active on our forum. IMHO, this is a terrific tool, see this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=342822
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

New virtual meeting setup for 3/31 7pm Central to review and discuss the PERSONAL FINANACIAL TOOLBOX

Boglehead member FiveK has graciously offered to give a demonstration and answer questions on the PERSONAL FINANCIAL TOOLBOX - on the bogleheads wiki here --> https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tools_and_calculators#Personal_finance_toolbox

The agenda is:

1) Tax calculations, especially including the marginal rate chart (25 mins)
2) Form 8606 assistance (15 mins)
3) Various templates available in the 'Misc. calcs' tab (10 mins)
4) Overview of other tabs (10 mins)

Wednesday March 31 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

The developer of the free product cfiresim has graciously agreed to demonstrate the product and participate in a Q & A session on Thursday April 15th at 7 pm Central time

You can try out the product here https://www.cfiresim.com/

Thursday April 15 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder - the Chicago Virtual chapter is reviewing the PERSONAL FINANCIAL TOOLBOX 7 pm tonight 3/31/2021

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3/31 7pm Central to review and discuss the PERSONAL FINANCIAL TOOLBOX

Boglehead member FiveK has graciously offered to give a demonstration and answer questions on the PERSONAL FINANCIAL TOOLBOX - on the bogleheads wiki here --> https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tools_and_calculators#Personal_finance_toolbox

The agenda is:

1) Tax calculations, especially including the marginal rate chart (25 mins)

Wednesday March 31 at
5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm Eastern

Last edited by HoosierJim on Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

HoosierJim wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:47 am 1) Tax calculations, especially including the marginal rate chart (25 mins)
No PowerPoint slides for this one. ;)

A couple of input examples, from the wiki and forum:
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Roth_IR ... preadsheet
Backdoor Roth & Form 8606

We'll cover those and others, particularly any that the audience requests.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Still time to join our 7 pm Central meeting tonight - If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com
Transition

Post by Transition »

Good evening I am looking forward to the meeting tomorrow. Be safe
Last edited by Transition on Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder.... next meeting is tommorow night - (4/7/2020 7 pm CENTRAL) to view/review/discuss the NEW RETIREMENT planning tool with the a member of the Chicago Virtual Boglheads who works for the company and has agreed to give us a demo and answer our questions

Wednesday 4/7/2021

5 pm pacific
6 pm mountain
7 pm central
8 pm eastern

All Bogleheads and lurkers are invited (you don't have to have an account on the site - just send me chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com an email to get the invitation with zoom link)

These presentations & discussions will be a deep dive into the product and the developers will also participate and answer any of our questions.

NEW RETIREMENT 4/7/21 at 7pm central time.
GET STARTED FOR FREE link here

Please visit the websites above and try out the products to have the best discussion and questions about your situation.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL ( Email is easier for me than the PM system - thank you.) or join/and ask your local chapter coordinator.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Reminder.... next meeting is tommorow night - (4/7/2020 7 pm CENTRAL) to view/review/discuss the NEW RETIREMENT planning tool with the a member of the Chicago Virtual Boglheads who works for the company and has agreed to give us a demo and answer our questions

Wednesday 4/7/2021

5 pm pacific
6 pm mountain
7 pm central
8 pm eastern

All Bogleheads and lurkers are invited (you don't have to have an account on the site - just send me chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com an email to get the invitation with zoom link)

These presentations & discussions will be a deep dive into the product and the developers will also participate and answer any of our questions.

Please visit the websites above and try out the products to have the best discussion and questions about your situation.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL ( Email is easier for me than the PM system - thank you.) or join/and ask your local chapter coordinator.

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Wednesday 4/7/2021

5 pm pacific
6 pm mountain
7 pm central
8 pm eastern

Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Everyone is invited to tonight's (4/7/2021 7 pm CENTRAL) financial/retirement tool demo/q&a of NEW RETIREMENT. This will be a deep dive into the product and the developer will also participate and answer any of our questions.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com

The meeting is on 4/7 at 7pm central time.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm East

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com or Private Message me with your EMAIL or join your local chapter. Local chapter coordinators will be distributing the invitation.

Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

siamond wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 1:53 pm Jim asked me to do a shameless plug for my own activities... I maintain several tools for Bogleheads, here are the two most used ones:
  • Simba backtesting spreadsheet: purpose is to act as a reference for historical returns, and analyzing a (passive) portfolio based on such historical data. Check the corresponding wiki page.
  • Amortization Based Withdrawal 'advanced' calculator: handy tool for flexible present-value computations to derive your annual portfolio withdrawal from current portfolio balance and future cash flows (e.g. SS, Pension, etc). See the ABW wiki page. My calculator is the one associated with the "savings portfolio focused approach". This calculator is also extensively described in this blog article.
I have a few other small things here and there, but much less commonly used.
You are an indispensable asset to the board! Thank you for maintaining those assets and allowing us all access to so much data in an easy to use format.
investor421

Re: Financial tools mentioned on the forum - strengths and weaknesseses

Post by investor421 »

NewRetirement is presenting tonight! We will answer all of your questions about the tool.
investor421

Re: Financial tools mentioned on the forum - strengths and weaknesseses

Post by investor421 »

NewRetirement is presenting tonight! We will answer all of your questions about the tool.
Topic Author
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Everyone is invited to tonight's (4/7/2021 7 pm CENTRAL) financial/retirement tool demo/q&a of NEW RETIREMENT. This will be a deep dive into the product and the developer will also participate and answer any of our questions.

If you would like to attend the Zoom meeting please contact me via email at chicagovirtualbogleheads@gmail.com

The meeting is on 4/7 at 7pm central time.

5 pm Pacific
6 pm Mountain
7 pm Central
8 pm East