What do you dislike about the new forum versus the old one?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
modal

What do you dislike about the new forum versus the old one?

Post by modal »

Morningstar forum had fixed width posts.
test

Post by test »

Nothing. This new forum is great. :D
norm

Post by norm »

The only thing the two have in common is that they are both forums. M*'s can't compare to this one on any level.
CyberBob

Re: What do you dislike about the new forum versus the old o

Post by CyberBob »

modal wrote:Morningstar forum had fixed width posts.
Which completely negates the advantage of having a big monitor. The only reason they have it is to ensure a dedicated ad space on the right for people running their monitors at a low resolution.
test wrote:Nothing. This new forum is great. Very Happy
I agree.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Shouldn't this post be in the "Off Topic" section, rather than in this one - which is devoted to financial matters?

David

EDIT - DUH. Musta had weak coffe this AM. It IS in the "Off Topic" forum.
CyberBob

A Great Moderator

Post by CyberBob »

TnGuy wrote:EDIT - DUH. Musta had weak coffe this AM. It IS in the "Off Topic" forum.
Your coffee is probably okay. I think the moderator just moved it.

Bob
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Thanks, Bob ...... I'd hate to have to blame it on me getting any older ..... :wink:

David
Last edited by TnGuy on Fri Mar 02, 2007 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
modal

Post by modal »

This might do what I want...

Grease Monkey Script
http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/2679
Petrocelli

Worst things

Post by Petrocelli »

No TrevH or madsinger.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
Mako

Re: Worst things

Post by Mako »

Petrocelli wrote:No TrevH or madsinger.
FWIW, madsinger indicated he'd be coming over here...

http://socialize.morningstar.com/NewSoc ... vId=196040
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

Brad (madsinger) mentioned in his Madsinger's Monthly Report post on the other forum that he'll soon be posting over here (including the report).

As far as TrevH, we can only hope that he brings himself, his data and his wealth of knowledge this way sometime in the not-too-distant future, too.

David

EDIT - Mako, thanks for posting the link to the post at the other forum!
jms969

Post by jms969 »

Nothing, this forum is fantastic. M* is toast :)
I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like the passengers in his car.
Met Income

Post by Met Income »

trevh's data spreadsheets would look nice here
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

TnGuy wrote:As far as TrevH, we can only hope that he brings himself, his data and his wealth of knowledge this way sometime in the not-too-distant future, too.
Trev mentioned in another post that he was waiting for his favorites to venture over here first: Mel, Taylor, Rick, Larry.

Well, they're all here, Trev!
Nitsuj

Re: What do you dislike about the new forum versus the old o

Post by Nitsuj »

[quote="modal"]Morningstar forum had fixed width posts.[/quote]
Not a problem if people use the URL tag correctly.

[url=http://longgianturlhere]descriptive link text[/url]
MattBrennan

Post by MattBrennan »

Another vote for this forum and it's endless potential. For example, look at the Reference Library. We're just scratching the surface of ideas that can be implemented rapidly without the M* overhead.

Regards,

Matt
goggles

Post by goggles »

I really like the idea that the diehards are a community of people, and now we don't have to be beholden to a company that peddles dicey advice to scared investors.
Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon »

New forum has so many advantages. Believe its a case of not looking back and full speed ahead. M* may do something along the way I spose to recapture readers --- but prob 'too little too late.'
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”
simba

Post by simba »

TrevH is here :D

Trev - Welcome aboard!
microlepis

Post by microlepis »

It is hard to think of anything; it seems close to perfect. Moderators have been great so far. But if you twisted my arm I would note the following that make the forum not quite absolutely perfect:

1. Neither the posts in a thread, nor the threads themselves are numbered. So, when you are referencing another post, it can be hard to quickly identify what post you are referring to. This can be especially problematic in a long thread.

2. I have no problem with recognizing some posters as being special in certain respects. But I'm a little uncomfortable with suggesting there is some sort of hierarchy that makes the views of some posters more worthy of respect than others; I would rather see posts evaluated on their merits alone. I'm glad the designation "apostle", with its religious overtones, was eliminated. But I'm not sure replacing it with "Published Author in Finance" is the ideal solution. We have a wide range of posters here, many with varying types of accomplishments, in the field of investing and without, so it seems strange to highlight this accomplishment above all others.

I would suggest as an alternative that Taylor & Mel be designated as "Diehard Group Founder", and that any professional FAs who post here be designated as "Professional Financial Advisor". The latter will be especially helpful to newbies, and will help them better understand the dynamic of threads.

3. The subject line of a reply post is de-emphasized by placement, font, and the background colors. I often don't even look at these when I skim through a thread. I've stopped putting them in myself.

4. I guess I prefer a font with serifs.

My two cents,
Dr. Jim
Last edited by microlepis on Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It is better to reign in Hell [or forum purgatory] than serve in heaven" -- Milton
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

microlepis wrote:1. Neither the posts in a thread, nor the threads themselves are numbered. So, when you are referencing another post, it can be hard to quickly identify what post you are referring to. This can be especially problematic in a long thread.
Numbered threads, as implemented by M*, were always problematic because the numbers would change if a thread with a lower thread number was deleted. Likewise the only way to refer to a specific post was by post number within thread number. People made do with these awkward constructs because there was no other alternative. Now there is. As described in Finding threads you can use a standard Internet URL to reference a thread or a specific post within a thread. And, as the example in the previous sentence demonstrates, you can even give your reference a meaningful description rather than be forced to use an obscure number.
3. The subject line of a reply post is de-emphasized by placement, font, and the background colors. I often don't even look at these when I skim through a thread. I've stopped putting them in myself.
The subject line was heavily-used at M* because it was the most convenient way to refer to a previous post. So people would often use something like "Jim #14" rather than a more meaningful subject. With this forum there's no need to use the Subject for this purpose because the Quote function not only lets you conveniently include a snippet from the post you want to respond to, but it will also include that poster's name.
4. I guess I prefer a font with serifs.
Serif vs. non-serif has been a contentious issue on the Internet for as long as I can remember. Let's just say that there's no correct answer ;) Are you aware that you can set your browser to always display in serif (or non-serif)? In Firefox it's under Tools, Options, Content tab. IE has something similar.
norm

Post by norm »

I belong to a lot of phpbb forums and the ability to number threads just isn't available. You can still do a search by topic.
microlepis

Post by microlepis »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
microlepis wrote: As described in Finding threads you can use a standard Internet URL to reference a thread or a specific post within a thread. And, as the example in the previous sentence demonstrates, you can even give your reference a meaningful description rather than be forced to use an obscure number.
Thanks Bylo. The ability to link to a specific post in a long thread, rather than just the entire thread, is quite useful. I also notice that the search feature allows you to jump to a specific post in a long thread, rather than have to search through the entire thread. That is a great improvement over M*. (It should also save forum "historians" like Andy (WagnerJB) a great deal of time ;-)).

Cheers,
Dr. J.
"It is better to reign in Hell [or forum purgatory] than serve in heaven" -- Milton
simba

Post by simba »

norm wrote:I belong to a lot of phpbb forums and the ability to number threads just isn't available. You can still do a search by topic.
It is possible to show topic id/number in the forum using the mod Show Topic ID on Viewforum

Although I agree it is not very widely used I know it works. Maybe if there's consensus Phoenix/Alex might decide to install it.
CountryBoy

Thank you Phoenix

Post by CountryBoy »

This forum is very much better than the old one at M*.

Thank you Thank you Thank you

Country Boy
unclemick

Post by unclemick »

You guys need to knock it off. At least on the old forum I only lurked cause I was too cheap to cough up five bucks and didn't lose too much time away from 'home' - Dory36 on the Retire Early Home page.

Now you are free and have all these cool features. Drat!

And since I'm a convert - I've have nothing much to add - BUT since you are free - I end up pontificating.

Oh well.

heh heh heh - BTY the first 500 Index in our company 401k got me to Early Retirement. End of 1976? I believe was the start.
Last edited by unclemick on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
norm

Post by norm »

It is possible to show topic id/number in the forum using the mod Show Topic ID on Viewforum

Although I agree it is not very widely used I know it works. Maybe if there's consensus Phoenix/Alex might decide to install it.
Thanks Simba I wasn't aware that this existed.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

simba wrote:Although I agree it is not very widely used I know it works. Maybe if there's consensus Phoenix/Alex might decide to install it.
Suppose that MOD was installed here. Suppose someone refers to thread #339 for more information. How would I use that thread number to locate the thread?

(Yes, I could plug the thread number into a template URL like http://www.diehards.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=nnn but that's hardly a "user-friendly" solution.)
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

Surprisingly to most of you, the ONLY thing I don't like about this new forum is the format that requires OT posts to appear here.

I actually liked the M* forum better in that OT posts were sprinkled randomly among the on topic posts. We were sure not to miss them if we wanted to see them. Here, if you don't consciously stay on top of OT posts you miss them.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
tashina
Site Admin

Post by tashina »

fishnskiguy wrote:Surprisingly to most of you, the ONLY thing I don't like about this new forum is the format that requires OT posts to appear here.

I actually liked the M* forum better in that OT posts were sprinkled randomly among the on topic posts. We were sure not to miss them if we wanted to see them. Here, if you don't consciously stay on top of OT posts you miss them.

Chris
If you like to see the forums intermixed, here's a suggestion. After signing in, go to the entry page for the forum. Look towards the upper right corner where it says:

"View posts since last visit"

This should put the threads that have new posts in order by date. All the forums are mixed together so you don't miss anything.
fishnskiguy

Post by fishnskiguy »

tashina,

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try.

Chris
Trident D-5 SLBM- "When you care enough to send the very best."
Pam

Harder to read

Post by Pam »

Great new features here, but I do find the type much harder to read. Maybe the reason is what Dr. Jim mentioned--no serifs?

Pam
norm

Post by norm »

Maybe it's because I see other boards using this format but even with my poor eyesight I have no problem reading the posts here.
microlepis

Re: Harder to read

Post by microlepis »

Pam wrote:Great new features here, but I do find the type much harder to read. Maybe the reason is what Dr. Jim mentioned--no serifs?
I think it is probably the gray background. The gray background is more pleasing aesthetically (at least to me), but a white background can make text easier to read. Experimenting just now, I was able to configure my browser (the Mozilla suite) to change the background to white. I was not able to quickly figure out how to do that in Internet Explorer though. Perhaps it can be done in Firefox.

Hope this helps,
Dr. J.
Bylo Selhi

Re: Harder to read

Post by Bylo Selhi »

microlepis wrote:
Pam wrote:Great new features here, but I do find the type much harder to read. Maybe the reason is what Dr. Jim mentioned--no serifs?
I think it is probably the gray background. The gray background is more pleasing aesthetically (at least to me), but a white background can make text easier to read.
The forum software also makes it possible to change "Board style." This is sort of like the "Skins" that you can change on other software or the "Themes" that you can set in Windows. The styles you can select have to be installed on the forum by the administrator. Currently only one style is installed (SubSilver) however, someone posted a link to a phpBB test site where you can try out a large variety of styles that others have developed. Perhaps there's something there that people find easier to read that the administrator would consider installing.
Experimenting just now, I was able to configure my browser (the Mozilla suite) to change the background to white. I was not able to quickly figure out how to do that in Internet Explorer though. Perhaps it can be done in Firefox.
For Firefox: Tools, Options, Content tab, Colors button. Then select White background and uncheck "Allow pages to choose their own colors..."

Added: here's what things look like after setting a white background in Firefox.

CyberBob

View Posts Since Last Visit

Post by CyberBob »

Jordan wrote:"View posts since last visit"
This is one of the best features of this board, allowing you to only see things that are new since you last visited, indicated by Image

With so many new messages being posted, I don't know how you could not use it. And I read really fast! :D
Pam

Easier to read

Post by Pam »

Thanks, Bylo and Dr. Jim. Changing the background to white helps a lot!

Pam
BigFoot48

Why I'm Here For Good

Post by BigFoot48 »

I just posted this at the M* forum in the "new board = Why?" thread.

12. Time to Abandon Ship
pmurphy| 03-04-07 | 11:24 AM

I fully expected, with some dread, having to monitor both forums for the foreseeable future, but this thread has push me over the edge.

Why? Well, I read this thread yesterday and when I came back today I noticed there were some new posts. So I duly opened it and read and scrolled down the list until I reached the two new posts. It then dawned on me what I love about modern forum software: the ability to view ONLY new posts. What a time and aggravation saver that is!

The new forum has reached critical mass. I'm moving and won't be back. See all of you there, and thanks for all the fish!

Patrick
BigFoot48 over in the new digs!
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 15-time loser
bilperk

Post by bilperk »

Dr. Jim said:
I would suggest as an alternative that Taylor & Mel be designated as "Diehard Group Founder", and that any professional FAs who post here be designated as "Professional Financial Advisor". The latter will be especially helpful to newbies, and will help them better understand the dynamic of threads.
I don't agree. "Professional Financial Advisor" is an occupation. Why not let everyone put their occupation under their name, or "retired" if they have reached that status (along with a blinking gold star :lol: )

Financial Author at least means that they have enough expertise to get someone to publish them (ok not always, but usually).

Personally, I have a problem with the whole list of describers and feel they create a sort of caste system.

For example, because he posts infrequently, John Norstad will always be a "novice" So will others. Except for moderators and acknowledged forum leaders, why have anything under the name?

The system currently is mainly based on how many posts not the content of posts. Why should the folks be differentiated because of that. Why not just give the number of posts under the name. The describer is redundant.

best,

Bill

Ok...I need to pay attention. I that most of the describers are gone :oops: :oops: Just ignore this
gkaplan

"View posts since last visit"

Post by gkaplan »

I don't see "View posts since last visit" in the upper right corner of the entry page. All I see is "View Unanswered Posts."

Thanks.
Gordon
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Gordon, you have to be logged in to see all three linkable options. Otherwise you'll see only the third.

DRiP Guy

Post by DRiP Guy »

bilperk wrote:Personally, I have a problem with the whole list of describers and feel they create a sort of caste system.
Ok...I need to pay attention. I that most of the describers are gone :oops: :oops: Just ignore this
:D The cool thing is that unlike M*, here you could either edit or even remove your original post. I, of course, hope you do neither at this point, as it is a useful part of the dialog.

Isn't it neat to see not only the extra features and ease of use here, but the responsiveness of admins to suggestions like the 'describer' discussion? I think I have agreed with every decsion made so far -- pretty unusual for me, as I can be a bit crochety :lol:

Later,
DRiP Guy
8)
shadowrings

Post by shadowrings »

Only thing I'd like to be able to do really is set the number of posts per page.
:lol:
vickie
gkaplan

Bylo

Post by gkaplan »

Bylo, thanks for the information. I'll remember that the next time.
Gordon
Sunny Sarkar

I like the bold subject line at M*

Post by Sunny Sarkar »

44. I like the bold subject line at M*
Sunny | 03-05-07 | 03:17 PM
One of the things I like about the M* forum is that every post
has a bold subject line that stands out clearly, followed
by the hyperlinked user and posting time in smaller font.
The subject line in the new forum is kind of lost in the
small print like the various fees in my 401k plan.

Is there a way to customize the look & feel of this forum
to make it look like that?

Best,
Sunny
"Buy-and-hold, long-term, all-market-index strategies, implemented at rock-bottom cost, are the surest of all routes to the accumulation of wealth" - John C. Bogle
Yuba

Post by Yuba »

shadowrings wrote:Only thing I'd like to be able to do really is set the number of posts per page.
:lol:
vickie
I'm almost 99% positive that is possible to do with this forum software.

Rick dba Yuba
bob90245

Re: I like the bold subject line at M*

Post by bob90245 »

Sunny wrote:44. I like the bold subject line at M*
Sunny | 03-05-07 | 03:17 PM
One of the things I like about the M* forum is that every post
has a bold subject line that stands out clearly, followed
by the hyperlinked user and posting time in smaller font.
The subject line in the new forum is kind of lost in the
small print like the various fees in my 401k plan.

Is there a way to customize the look & feel of this forum
to make it look like that?

Best,
Sunny
Hey! I like that! I especially like the underline for links. For example:

no underline

with underline

Much easier to read links that have underlines. With this blue-grey background, it is easy to miss the regular links (that have no underlines).
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Just wanted everyone to know we will be modifying the site for readability and use of use after we move it to the diehards.org server, but right now I can't add any mods.

But please keep the suggestions coming, I'll review these threads when I have a chance to do something about them.

Alex
microlepis

Post by microlepis »

lowwall wrote: But please keep the suggestions coming, I'll review these threads when I have a chance to do something about them.
Thanks for letting us know Alex. Since you asked for more suggestions, one thing I noticed is that after you click the convenient link to "view posts since last visit", there is no option to "Mark all posts read" as there is one you are viewing recent posts from just one forum. That makes the "view posts since last visit" link rather less useful, since it does not seem to update frequently throughout the day and it is difficult to really tell which of the posts you have already read. This has forced me to go back to the old method of looking at new posts forum by forum.

Regards,
Dr. J.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

microlepis wrote:there is no option to "Mark all posts read" as there is one you are viewing recent posts from just one forum.
There is, however, such an option on the forum index page.