Vanguard security codes via Google Voice

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
xenial

Vanguard security codes via Google Voice

Post by xenial »

At some point yesterday, I lost the ability to receive Vanguard login security codes by text message to my Google Voice number. Does anyone know what's going on?
drg02b

Re: Vanguard security codes via Google Voice

Post by drg02b »

I noticed the same thing today when trying to log in... very frustrating.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Afaik they don't like sending 2FA to a VOIP number and they probably swept their database and flagged those recently.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

Working fine for me.
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

Just tried mine. Same issue.

I absolutely hate this garbage. I'm sick of sites not supporting VOIP numbers, or even worse, the not-major-but-legit carriers. Virtualization has been around for decades. Everything is being containerized in the cloud now. I wouldn't be surprised if Vanguard uses such tech themselves, or at the very least relies heavily on other products and services that do. Why shouldn't I be allowed to use a virtual number? How is it less secure than a carrier-specific phone number that can be lost or ported over?

Or maybe it has to do with technical complexity? I don't actually know anything how about how phone numbers work. I would assume they're just unique identifiers like IP addresses or domain names, but maybe there is some difference in how a site would contact a Google Voice number. That being said, it clearly can't be prohibitively difficult since 99% of sites work just fine with them, and Vanguard themselves worked fine until just now.

This is one of the few things that could have made me consider moving my assets, but now I seriously have to think about it. I mean, I'm a very long way away from retirement, so it's not like I need to access the site daily, but you know, I'd like to at least be able to without a hassle, just in case. If Vanguard doesn't support GV, I guess they don't want me as a customer all that much.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Hopefully everyone here with this problem will also reach out to Vanguard directly to report the problem (and raise hell when they respond back that it's "by design").
Topic Author
xenial

Post by xenial »

Thanks everyone for the replies.

I just tried logging in, and I received a security code texted through Google Voice. So it looks like there was a transitory issue rather than a policy change.
nifty-thrifty

Post by nifty-thrifty »

Mine is not working either, however, for those who log in using a security key (ie: yubikey) this may be a good thing. No fall back to be breached.
Any thoughts ?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

xenial wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:20 pm Thanks everyone for the replies.

I just tried logging in, and I received a security code texted through Google Voice. So it looks like there was a transitory issue rather than a policy change.
Seconding it's a temporary issue. My backup and worked fine. GV worked with another site, not sure what's up with VG/GV
cheerfulcharlie

Post by cheerfulcharlie »

Been spotty for me too yesterday with my Google voice number. In one case, I had to click on resend and the text came right away. In another instance, the text took 6 minutes to arrive.

Today, I couldn't receive a text, even when clicking on resend, so I had to click on resend and select the option to receive an automated call. My phone rung and Vanguard spoke out my one-time code and it worked fine.

Looks like I need to go into Vanguard and add my direct carrier phone number now in addition to my Google Voice number.

Ok, just added my 2nd phone number. Then Vanguard invited me to validate it by sending a text code. Now it looks like I can use either phone number for security login.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

I use Google Voice to forward my Vanguard 2FA codes, so I tried to use it tonight and it did not work. I called Vanguard by phone and the rep I talked to said he is not aware of any changes at Vanguard like not sending texts to Google Voice. I tried to log-in about six more times and finally a 2FA code came through via Google Voice.

I wonder if the problem could be that today, of some reason, Google Voice is failing to forward a large proportion of text messages? Maybe only in some areas of the US?

I will see if the problem goes away tomorrow. I do have my home landline set up for Vanguard 2FA codes via automated phone calls, so at least there is a way I can get my codes if Google Voice is not forwarding them.
KeepingEyesOpen

Post by KeepingEyesOpen »

dboeger1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:36 pm Just tried mine. Same issue.

I absolutely hate this garbage. I'm sick of sites not supporting VOIP numbers, or even worse, the not-major-but-legit carriers. Virtualization has been around for decades. Everything is being containerized in the cloud now. I wouldn't be surprised if Vanguard uses such tech themselves, or at the very least relies heavily on other products and services that do. Why shouldn't I be allowed to use a virtual number? How is it less secure than a carrier-specific phone number that can be lost or ported over?

Or maybe it has to do with technical complexity? I don't actually know anything how about how phone numbers work. I would assume they're just unique identifiers like IP addresses or domain names, but maybe there is some difference in how a site would contact a Google Voice number. That being said, it clearly can't be prohibitively difficult since 99% of sites work just fine with them, and Vanguard themselves worked fine until just now.

This is one of the few things that could have made me consider moving my assets, but now I seriously have to think about it. I mean, I'm a very long way away from retirement, so it's not like I need to access the site daily, but you know, I'd like to at least be able to without a hassle, just in case. If Vanguard doesn't support GV, I guess they don't want me as a customer all that much.
Why do you assume this is a Vanguard issue? It is not uncommon for Google’s services to have problems at times. Google is notorious for dropping or changing services; I would be wary of using Google Voice unless I had a backup in place to use at a moment’s notice.
hdcd

Post by hdcd »

I have been using google voice since the beginning and it has always been hit or miss with 2fa codes. They don't do much development with the software.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

hdcd wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:16 pm I have been using google voice since the beginning and it has always been hit or miss with 2fa codes. They don't do much development with the software.
I've gotten VG codes 100% of the time before Tues
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

Just curious why you use your GV number for 2fa? Security better than AT&T, Verizon, etc???
destiny

Post by destiny »

Mine not working either , they must have changed or updated something on their website this week. :oops:
once bitten, twice shy
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

dboeger1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:36 pm....I absolutely hate this garbage. I'm sick of sites not supporting VOIP numbers, or even worse, the not-major-but-legit carriers....
Yes. Using TracFone cuts me off from a surprising number of sites, including Social Security, that only support major carriers. Well, let's be accurate: I was trying to update my email address with Social Security and because I have a TracFone I had to verify my identity via paper mail instead of instantly....

Another detail. For a long time I had a personal refrigerator-door-type website that came with a bunch of "free" email addresses, which I liked to use. That is, my email addresses had a "vanity" domain. Well, too many places treat my emails as spam. That is, FirstinitialSurname@gmail.com has a better chance of getting through than FirstinitialSurname@funkydomain.com. What to say? On the one hand, it's rational. On the other hand, it's unfair.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Based on what I'm reading, it appears like the issue is on the GV side not VG.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Texts come through on my voip.ms account. Always has.
hudson

Text failed...automated call came through....but....

Post by hudson »

Trying to logon to Vanguard by getting a code through Google Voice....

The text message didn't come through.
The automated call did come through; I played the message; it said press 1 to receive your code. I couldn't press 1. I don't know how to send a "one" in the Google Voice App.

I can't figure out a work around...is there one?

I do have a security key and a backup that work fine.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

mtwhmemn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:21 am Just curious why you use your GV number for 2fa? Security better than AT&T, Verizon, etc???
The basic idea is that Google Voice or other VOIP solutions are not susceptible to SIM swap attacks.
mtwhmemn

Post by mtwhmemn »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29 pm
mtwhmemn wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:21 am Just curious why you use your GV number for 2fa? Security better than AT&T, Verizon, etc???
The basic idea is that Google Voice or other VOIP solutions are not susceptible to SIM swap attacks.
Interesting and following.
McDougal

Re: Text failed...automated call came through....but....

Post by McDougal »

hudson wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:17 pm Trying to logon to Vanguard by getting a code through Google Voice....

The automated call did come through; I played the message; it said press 1 to receive your code. I couldn't press 1. I don't know how to send a "one" in the Google Voice App.

Lower right corner of screen - show keypad?
hudson

Post by hudson »

Since Google Voice doesn't appear to work reliably, I'm exploring options.
It appears that one's choices besides using Google Voice are:

Sending a text message to cell phone.
Sending a voice message to a landline or cell phone; one has to respond with a one on the keypad.
Using an approved Yubico brand security key listed under "Profile and Account Settings," then "Security Keys", then "Security Keys Terms and Conditions."

That's all I can find. Am I missing anything?
hudson

Re: Text failed...automated call came through....but....

Post by hudson »

McDougal wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:40 pm
hudson wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:17 pm Trying to logon to Vanguard by getting a code through Google Voice....

Lower right corner of screen - show keypad?
When I tried that, Google Voice asked me to confirm my regular cell number. Voice sent a text to my cell number. I added that to a box that popped up. After all of that, it was to late to send the 1. (I probably need to give it a rest and try this a few more times. The workaround is probably there; I just can't see it.)
acljump

Post by acljump »

Can confirm the security codes are not being sent by text. The automated calls work though. Hopefully whom ever is responsible fixes the issue.
hudson

Post by hudson »

acljump wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm Can confirm the security codes are not being sent by text. The automated calls work though. Hopefully whom ever is responsible fixes the issue.
acljump,
Are you using Google Voice?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

acljump wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm Can confirm the security codes are not being sent by text.
Are you really able to confirm that? Or so you mean that you can confirm that the codes aren’t being received by your Google Voice account?
acljump

Post by acljump »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:10 pm
acljump wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:54 pm Can confirm the security codes are not being sent by text.
Are you really able to confirm that? Or so you mean that you can confirm that the codes aren’t being received by your Google Voice account?
Yes, I meant I can confirm for myself. Maybe there's someone here with GV who is able to get texts from Vanguard. Not me though.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Another data point...

I had previously logged into Vanguard using a security code sent via text message to my GV account. I had selected the option to stay logged in (it's on my private computer on my LAN) so I haven't been getting text messages for logon security codes lately.

Just yesterday I correctly received a text from Vanguard to my GV account for an alert that a transaction had been submitted (I previously configured my Vanguard account to send alerts for that). Apparently text messages via GV were working fine yesterday.

Today on my desktop computer browser, I cleared my Vanguard cookies then tried to logon to the Vanguard website. It said it sent a text with a security code, but I did not receive it in GV. I tried resending it again, but again it did not show up.

Next step was to get the security code via an automated phone call to my GV number. This worked okay.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Vanguard text to GV has stopped working for me. If I text to that GV number it shows up as usual.

Vanguard text to my cell works fine.

Based on that, I'd guess its a Google related issue. Good luck with that (sarcastic). I am a google guy, but their support and transparency can be extremely lacking.

If I go into my GV account I see a message
Important: Google plans to shut down Google Voice integration with classic Hangouts in early 2021. Read about changes to Hangouts with Google Voice.

I don't know what that means! Is it related to the Vamguard => GV problem?
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

dboeger1 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:36 pm Just tried mine. Same issue.

Yeah, and I'm sure that Vanguard will miss you that much.

Use your regular phone number and move on. Or just move your assets out of Vanguard. Problem solved.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

sycamore wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 1:45 pm Another data point...

I had previously logged into Vanguard using a security code sent via text message to my GV account. I had selected the option to stay logged in (it's on my private computer on my LAN) so I haven't been getting text messages for logon security codes lately.

Just yesterday I correctly received a text from Vanguard to my GV account for an alert that a transaction had been submitted (I previously configured my Vanguard account to send alerts for that). Apparently text messages via GV were working fine yesterday.

Today on my desktop computer browser, I cleared my Vanguard cookies then tried to logon to the Vanguard website. It said it sent a text with a security code, but I did not receive it in GV. I tried resending it again, but again it did not show up.

Next step was to get the security code via an automated phone call to my GV number. This worked okay.
Follow up...

I use my GV number at a second financial institution. I cleared cookies for their web site and tried to log in fresh. They sent a security code and I received it promptly via GV. Doesn't prove the problem is isolated to Vanguard but sure seems curious...
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

sycamore wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:31 pm Follow up...

I use my GV number at a second financial institution. I cleared cookies for their web site and tried to log in fresh. They sent a security code and I received it promptly via GV. Doesn't prove the problem is isolated to Vanguard but sure seems curious...
Pretty sure companies like Vanguard use third party solutions like Twilio for sending text messages (perhaps even part of a complete 2FA solution). So it probably is difficult to identify the actual cause of the problem with limited knowledge of the involved parties and few data points. In any case, it’s probably worthwhile letting Vanguard know that their solution isn’t working reliably. They can work out if it’s their system, a service provider’s system, or Google Voice. When talking to Vanguard, I’d probably not volunteer that you are using Google Voice as that might to a dismissal of the issue as “oh, it’s not a real phone number” without further investigation.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I just tried to login to Vanguard, can’t get the GV text.
I tested sending an sms from my cell carrier to my GV number, went through immediately, so the issue is on Vanguard’s end. Really had enough with Vanguard. They have just hit rock bottom. Can’t call them, can’t login.

Update: kept trying and on 4th try got the text.
Never have such issues using GV anywhere else but Vanguard. My test txt went through almost instantaneously while waiting on Vanguard.
hudson

Security hole plugged by non-working Google Voice?

Post by hudson »

I just tried a Vanguard's 2FA text through Google Voice. It didn't come through.
Yesterday, I tried sending the code by automated call through Google Voice. That didn't work. I got the call, but I couldn't respond with the "1" that the call requested. Therefore 2FA with Google Voice isn't working.

I have a Yubico key and a backup key. They have worked 100% of the time. I have the Vanguard app on my phone; I can access my account with my phone 100% of the time.

Therefore, I can always get online by security key or by phone app.

For me, for now, it's fine with me that the Google Voice 2FA doesn't work. If I can't use it, neither can anyone else.

Bottom Line: Since text and automated calls don't work, a security hole has been plugged. Or has it?
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Tried again, no code to GV which pops up on my laptop, but OK to my cell.

Then I "rebooted" the Vanguard Security settings by changing to automated call from text, then after refreshing the page, went back and changed to text. I then did get a text to GV that I'd chg'd to text. Alas, the next time I logged on, no text to GV.

Looks like its vanguard with the problem.

It took them multi years to fix the mobile check deposit fiasco when switching to brokerage. Any hope this will go faster?

Am I being trained to always have a phone (cell or landline) in reach?
Archean

Post by Archean »

I have been having the same problem this week where texts to GoogleVoice from Vanguard are not working, but my GV number accepts texts from other institutions.

But this work around seems fine and consistently has worked for me:

Instead of sending a text to GV from Vanguard, have it send a voice call. Have your GV window open on your computer, then answer the call (you need to enter a "1" to receive the message that contains the number), then write down the code. Not nearly as nice as a text message you can cut and paste, but it does work with GV. At least it has for me. Yes, very frustrating.
"Archean - an early geologic eon before index funds"
north2016

Post by north2016 »

Same problem. GV number receives texts from other sources but not VG.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

north2016 wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:24 am Same problem. GV number receives texts from other sources but not VG.
I'm still having the same problem.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Same here, no Vanguard texts to GV.
ChicagoJon

Post by ChicagoJon »

Same experience. Fidelity 2FA text to GV remains functional. Vanguard 2FA text to GV came through only 1 time in the last week. The Resend Code/Call approach described above has consistently worked. Thank you for reminder to send a message to Vanguard. I won't switch Vanguard 2FA back to my normal mobile cell number. Wait and see...
OuterBanks

Post by OuterBanks »

Google voice text not working tonight, but secondary home phone (Ooma) call worked for a code. Usually phone calls to Ooma line don’t work but Google voice text would.
HSA 100% FZROX, 401K 100% FSKAX, Roth IRA 100% VTWAX, Taxable 100% VTSAX.
absolute zero

Post by absolute zero »

Mine has worked 100% of the time until a week ago. For whatever reason, the past week it has been hit or miss, probably working 30% of the time. When it doesn’t work I just have them call my GV number to get the login code.
hudson

Post by hudson »

absolute zero wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:59 pm Mine has worked 100% of the time until a week ago. For whatever reason, the past week it has been hit or miss, probably working 30% of the time. When it doesn’t work I just have them call my GV number to get the login code.
Whenever I have Vanguard call my GV number, it asks for me to hit a 1; then it chokes or I do. It's a no-go.

Since I have 2 security keys and GV doesn't work, is that all bad? I can get access on my phone app.
Last edited by hudson on Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

"
Thank you for your email and the additional information.

Unfortunately, we do not support Google voice and would not be able to
troubleshoot any issues you may be experiencing with it.

We can verify that we are sending the codes immediately after you request
them; however, your service provider may be blocking or disabled
SMS codes. We recommend you contact your service provider and explain the
situation and request they enable delivery of short codes.

In the meantime, you can request a voice call that will come without delay.

I hope this information is helpful.
"
JamalJones

Vanguard and Google Voice number

Post by JamalJones »

[This topic has been merged into the existing thread on the subject- Mod Misenplace]
I've been using a Google Voice number as my 2FA to sign on to Vanguard for several years without any problems. On January 13th, it simply stopped working. I no longer received the text message.

I called Vanguard and they disabled it so I could get in and try it again. When I re-signed up with the same exact Google Voice number, it worked: and I got a confirmation text with the code to enable 2FA. However, when I logged off and attempted to log back on, it, once again, didn't work.

So now I just set it back up to use my actual cell number.

The Vanguard rep told me that sometimes Google Voice numbers "just stop working". So that's that, I suppose (I have the same Google Voice number set up for 2FA on four other accounts, and I've had no problems with it)

I'm guessing some of you use Google voice for 2FA to sign on to Vanguard (and/or other various accounts). Have you had this problem Vanguard? Are there any other texting apps you use for this?
TSP + Vanguard Roth IRA + Vanguard Taxable: 80% equities / 20% bonds | "I don't shine shoes, I don’t tape ankles, I don't cut checks - straight cash homie!!" --R. Moss
palanzo

Post by palanzo »

I have been having the same problem for several days. No Vanguard codes to GV. GV call does work. I have never had a problem before with GV.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (Vanguard security / Google voice).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
boglesmind

Post by boglesmind »

My experience is this. Wells Fargo and Chase have had similar issues for at least two years and I have had to use non-VOIP numbers with them. Any calls to their technical support elicits the response "We don't support VOIP" numbers. If it works for you good. If not don't call us!" These banks are not low-cost providers by any measure and they won't even answer questions such as "But it used to work. Did you change some thing? Did you explicitly exclude VOIP numbers?" No response other than, "if it is VOIP, don't call us".

Geico can't and won't send alerts to Google Voice numbers. My credit union's 2FA to Google VOIP number arrives about 1 day after it is sent (valid for 10 minutes from the time of issue!)

Vanguard's 2FA code to Google Voice stopped working about a week ago. 2FA Calls to Google Voice number still works. Have to press 1 after answering and easy enough to do on a smart phone (press the icon for dial pad to bring up "phone dial" and then press 1 on the onscreen dial pad).

Boglesmind