Repaying FICA Tax Deferral

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
cjohnston2

Repaying FICA Tax Deferral

Post by cjohnston2 »

I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything on this, but....

I did some Census work for the USG in 2020. For part of that time, they deferred payment on the FICA tax. Now in 2021, I will be doing no, or much less, work for the Census. Does anyone know how I will repay the deferred tax? Does anyone know of a place that might be better able to answer this question?

Thanks.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Re: Repaying FICA Tax Deferral

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

cjohnston2 wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:51 am I did a quick Google search and didn't find anything on this, but....

I did some Census work for the USG in 2020. For part of that time, they deferred payment on the FICA tax. Now in 2021, I will be doing no, or much less, work for the Census. Does anyone know how I will repay the deferred tax? Does anyone know of a place that might be better able to answer this question?

Thanks.
if your still employed by the federal government, things are different by agency/pay processor, however, some people have received notices that if they quit or terminate before its paid back this year, they will owe the government a lump sum payment.
Topic Author
cjohnston2

Re: Repaying FICA Tax Deferral

Post by cjohnston2 »

Thanks. That is helpful. A trick for me will be that I am still part time temporary for the first half of the year. Not really terminated, but not really working either. I guess they will send me a bill someday.