Already large home but can we afford this renovation?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
investingfan

Already large home but can we afford this renovation?

Post by investingfan »

We want a new sun room and a new deck. Three general contractors quoted between 30K-40K. Bought the house early last year at 500K with 20% down 3% 30 year. Lender appraised the house last week 635K. Taking out 50K will be at 3.50% HELOC.

Financial situation 2 kids ten plus years from college. I work from home and partner works part time 2 days a week. Household income total 103K. Spending 65K a year. We have 6-month emergency fund. Retirement total 650K, a rental property out state worth around 320K. Mortgage balance on the rental is less than 50K. Gross rent 24K a year, net 10K after expenses. This addition will add another 500-600 square feet to our current 3500 square feet log cabin home on 25 acres. We are 41 and 36 living in California. I forgot to mention partner will get a lifetime trust payment in 2 year of 21K a year. Thanks.
exodusNH

Re: Already large home but can we afford this renovation?

Post by exodusNH »

investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am We want a new sun room and a new deck. Three general contractors quoted between 30K-40K. Bought the house early last year at 500K with 20% down 3% 30 year. Lender appraised the house last week 635K. Taking out 50K will be at 3.50% HELOC.

Financial situation 2 kids ten plus years from college. I work from home and partner works part time 2 days a week. Household income total 103K. Spending 65K a year. We have 6-month emergency fund. Retirement total 650K, a rental property out state worth around 320K. Mortgage balance on the rental is less than 50K. Gross rent 24K a year, net 10K after expenses. This addition will add another 500-600 square feet to our current 3500 square feet log cabin home on 25 acres. We are 41 and 36 living in California. I forgot to mention partner will get a lifetime trust payment in 2 year of 21K a year. Thanks.
Is that an intro HELOC rate? If so, when does it reset? Is it variable? What are the limits on adjustments?

I had a HELOC that I opened back in the fall of 2019. It had a great rate of 3.49% for the first year, then variable after it. When I closed on it, the banker said to call once the rate reset since they usually have promotions. Well, I did and they didn't have anything. The new rate was 6.31%. Even after I told them I was simply going to pay off the balance, they couldn't / wouldn't offer a better rate. So now they get 0% in interest.

If you're not able to itemize your taxes to take the interest deduction, you're paying for that loan with after-tax funds. In that case, the interest rate is really 3.5% / (1-your tax rate) -- so somewhere between 4% and 5%.

With an open balance on the HELOC, you may not be able to refinance your first mortgage without their permission. HELOCs are just second mortgages with different name because back in the day "second mortgage" carried negative connotations.
Watty

Post by Watty »

investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am a rental property out state worth around 320K. Mortgage balance on the rental is less than 50K. Gross rent 24K a year, net 10K after expenses.
What not sell the rental to raise the money you want?

I am not a real estate investor but aren't those numbers pretty bad for a rental property?
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

Sounds OK to me.

We moved in October to a house with a big deck and more space. I can understand why you'd want a sun room and larger deck!
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

Sounds OK to me.

We moved in October to a house with a big deck and more space. I can understand why you'd want a sun room and larger deck!
Topic Author
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

exodusNH wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:38 am
investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am We want a new sun room and a new deck. Three general contractors quoted between 30K-40K. Bought the house early last year at 500K with 20% down 3% 30 year. Lender appraised the house last week 635K. Taking out 50K will be at 3.50% HELOC.

Is that an intro HELOC rate? If so, when does it reset? Is it variable? What are the limits on adjustments?

I had a HELOC that I opened back in the fall of 2019. It had a great rate of 3.49% for the first year, then variable after it. When I closed on it, the banker said to call once the rate reset since they usually have promotions. Well, I did and they didn't have anything. The new rate was 6.31%. Even after I told them I was simply going to pay off the balance, they couldn't / wouldn't offer a better rate. So now they get 0% in interest.

If you're not able to itemize your taxes to take the interest deduction, you're paying for that loan with after-tax funds. In that case, the interest rate is really 3.5% / (1-your tax rate) -- so somewhere between 4% and 5%.

With an open balance on the HELOC, you may not be able to refinance your first mortgage without their permission. HELOCs are just second mortgages with different name because back in the day "second mortgage" carried negative connotations.
Is that an intro HELOC rate? Yes, after introduction is variable between 3% to 6%.
Topic Author
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

Watty wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:44 am
investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am a rental property out state worth around 320K. Mortgage balance on the rental is less than 50K. Gross rent 24K a year, net 10K after expenses.

I am not a real estate investor but aren't those numbers pretty bad for a rental property?

We want to keep the rental. Thanks.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:28 pm Is that an intro HELOC rate? Yes, after introduction is variable between 3% to 6%.
You want to find out what the margin is. Your rate is probably going to be prime rate + margin, which could push it to 6%+. 6% after-tax interest is 7.5%+ of investment returns.

Not saying you shouldn't do it, but just to be informed, since you may not be able to renegotiate it when it resets and if you won't have the cash to zero it out, it might hold your primary mortgage hostage should you want to refi.

I was floored when BoA told me they couldn't do better on the rate, even though I told them I would just pay off the balance. The loan office I spoke to -- who was quite nice -- said that HELOCs were in a weird state right now. If I wanted to open a new account, I could get a $100K disbursement at 3%ish, but my $16Kish balance at 6.31% was the best they could do.
Watty

Post by Watty »

investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm

With the addition you would have about a million dollars in real estate between your house and the rental property. Between the mortgages on your house, the rental, and a new HELOC you would have about a half a million dollars in debt.

With your income(even with the trust in a few years) that may be too much unless you have a lot of other assets that you did not mention.

There are several variations on the saying, "You can have anything you want but not everything you want." You may want both the rental property and to expand your house but at some point you can't have everything.

I would put the expansion on the back burner until you can pay cash for it.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

This could qualify in the "pay cash for your toys" area. But I won't say that.

Ooh. I just did I guess. :D
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

What about a cash-out refi? I bet you can get a rate below 3% on a 30 year fixed.
queso

Post by queso »

Dang...I wish I had your contractor where I live. I got a quote on replacing my existing deck with Trex and it was $82k. :(
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

Watty wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:02 pm
investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:29 pm

With the addition you would have about a million dollars in real estate between your house and the rental property. Between the mortgages on your house, the rental, and a new HELOC you would have about a half a million dollars in debt.

With your income(even with the trust in a few years) that may be too much unless you have a lot of other assets that you did not mention.

There are several variations on the saying, "You can have anything you want but not everything you want." You may want both the rental property and to expand your house but at some point you can't have everything.

I would put the expansion on the back burner until you can pay cash for it.
That’s is exactly what I was thinking. How in the world would be able to afford it on that income? Even the current debt right now seems a lot to carry.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

And for your additional consideration, plan for the work to go 20% over budget. They're likely to find something that needs to be fixed (e.g. a rotting sill plate), get surprised by how something was built, or you'll wind up making small tweaks to what you want. Change orders are a contractor's best friend.

You also need to think about the cost of new furnishing as well as additional utility and maintenance costs.

Finally, your property taxes are likely to increase. Not anything life-altering, but something to keep in mind.
Topic Author
investingfan

Post by investingfan »

exodusNH wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:33 pm
And for your additional consideration, plan for the work to go 20% over budget. They're likely to find something that needs to be fixed (e.g. a rotting sill plate), get surprised by how something was built, or you'll wind up making small tweaks to what you want. Change orders are a contractor's best friend.

You also need to think about the cost of new furnishing as well as additional utility and maintenance costs.

Finally, your property taxes are likely to increase. Not anything life-altering, but something to keep in mind.
Property tax is based on the purchase price. Utility is low due to higher elevation - no summer heat. We harvest your own firewood for heat in the winter about 2 cold months a year. Property insurance is high almost $2500 a year due to constant threat of wildfires.
Last edited by investingfan on Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retire57

Post by retire57 »

I'd wait and pay cash.
checkyourmath

Post by checkyourmath »

Most renovations make their money back almost instantly. You should do it.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:53 pm Property tax is based on the purchase price.
That's fascinating and not how it works around here. You add a new room? Boom. Evaluation goes up, property taxes go up.
Lexx

Post by Lexx »

In California remodels don't increase your assessment. However a room addition adds square footage and thus that part of the house will receive an assessment and thus a supplemental tax bill (or they may just add it to the bill for the rest of the property).

That's why we bought an older home and then gutted it. We got the house for a song and then remade it into what we wanted. Except for converting the 3 car garage into an office and a home theater, there was no reassessment.
exodusNH wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:20 pm
investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:53 pm Property tax is based on the purchase price.
That's fascinating and not how it works around here. You add a new room? Boom. Evaluation goes up, property taxes go up.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Lexx wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:52 pm In California remodels don't increase your assessment. However a room addition adds square footage and thus that part of the house will receive an assessment and thus a supplemental tax bill (or they may just add it to the bill for the rest of the property).

That's why we bought an older home and then gutted it. We got the house for a song and then remade it into what we wanted. Except for converting the 3 car garage into an office and a home theater, there was no reassessment.
Thank you for the education!
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Lexx wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:52 pm In California remodels don't increase your assessment. However a room addition adds square footage and thus that part of the house will receive an assessment and thus a supplemental tax bill (or they may just add it to the bill for the rest of the property).

According to California assessment rules, taking a building down to the studs is considered an assessable event which means likely it was done illegally or without the proper permits.
Assessable
[*]Bathroom remodel - the addition of one, or structural changes, upgrading of plumbing and/or electrical systems, changing the floor plan, increasing the size, replacing cabinets, countertops, flooring or fixtures with upgraded material and finishes
[*]Kitchen - structural changes, upgrading of plumbing and/or electrical systems, changing the floor plan, increasing the size, replacing cabinets, countertops, flooring or built-in appliances with upgraded material and finishes
[*]Completely renovating a property or portion thereof, i.e. down to studs
[*]Change of use, i.e. converting from industrial to residential use
[*]Upgrading eletrical capacity from 110v to 220v
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am We want a new sun room and a new deck. Three general contractors quoted between 30K-40K..

Household income total 103K. Spending 65K a year.
Yes you can afford it. Sounds like you have $38k per year to spend on it.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

Actually if you do a remodel down to the studs the assessor can assess "like new". Ask me how I know. :oops:
Every day I can hike is a good day.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

lthenderson wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:01 pm

According to California assessment rules, taking a building down to the studs is considered an assessable event which means likely it was done illegally or without the proper permits.
Assessable
[*]Bathroom remodel - the addition of one, or structural changes, upgrading of plumbing and/or electrical systems, changing the floor plan, increasing the size, replacing cabinets, countertops, flooring or fixtures with upgraded material and finishes
[*]Kitchen - structural changes, upgrading of plumbing and/or electrical systems, changing the floor plan, increasing the size, replacing cabinets, countertops, flooring or built-in appliances with upgraded material and finishes
[*]Completely renovating a property or portion thereof, i.e. down to studs
[*]Change of use, i.e. converting from industrial to residential use
[*]Upgrading eletrical capacity from 110v to 220v
I just saw your post. I think it also depends on who you get reviewing your permit. My bathroom remodels were done with full permits and were down to the studs. No reassessment in 2014. My family and laundry room remodel was reassessed. It wasn't much but still annoying especially given how much turnover the County was experiencing with long term homeowners moving out. I called the appraiser but he wasn't going to back down. Seemed so petty...
Lexx

Post by Lexx »

Not true. The assessor actually walked through the entire house. No change in assessment. Only the theater room and office were added because those were part of the 3 car garage originally, and thus not considered living space. We also built a separate garage which was also assessed.

ALL work was done with full permits. I have the orange permit folder with ALL signatures and checkboxes marked. I personally met with the inspector myself on a few occasions.
lthenderson wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:01 pm

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

JoeRetire wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 pm
investingfan wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:14 am We want a new sun room and a new deck. Three general contractors quoted between 30K-40K..

Are you sure? I think the $38k difference is taxes and retirement savings. I believe the wiggle room is much tighter.

This is a want not a need. OP - what would it cost to refi the rental with cash out? You have high equity in the property.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Carefreeap wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 pm I just saw your post. I think it also depends on who you get reviewing your permit. My bathroom remodels were done with full permits and were down to the studs. No reassessment in 2014. My family and laundry room remodel was reassessed. It wasn't much but still annoying especially given how much turnover the County was experiencing with long term homeowners moving out. I called the appraiser but he wasn't going to back down. Seemed so petty...
He is king of his very small world.
Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap »

exodusNH wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:39 pm
Carefreeap wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:31 pm I just saw your post. I think it also depends on who you get reviewing your permit. My bathroom remodels were done with full permits and were down to the studs. No reassessment in 2014. My family and laundry room remodel was reassessed. It wasn't much but still annoying especially given how much turnover the County was experiencing with long term homeowners moving out. I called the appraiser but he wasn't going to back down. Seemed so petty...
He is king of his very small world.
Lol. Thanks for making me smile. Drove me nuts at the time. We are literally talking about a value of $35k and the houses around our neighborhood were selling for a minimum of $1M. :oops: :oops: :oops: My inner "Karen" was starting to come out!
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:39 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:16 pm

Are you sure? I think the $38k difference is taxes and retirement savings. I believe the wiggle room is much tighter.
(shrug) I interpreted "Spending 65k" as including everything other than retirement savings (which could be halted). Only the OP knows for sure.
It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | It's the end of the world as we know it. | And I feel fine.
Olemiss540

Post by Olemiss540 »

At what amount of debt would you feel "uncomfortable"?

You are fairly well leveraged as it is. I personally would wait until the rental home was paid off or otherwise pay cash for the deck project given your debt to income ratio.
I hold index funds because I do not overestimate my ability to pick stocks OR stock pickers.