IRS Form 3520 Question (gift from foreign person)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
4runner818

IRS Form 3520 Question (gift from foreign person)

Post by 4runner818 »

Hello all,

In 2020, my father in law (a "nonresident alien") gifted my wife and I money which now requires form 3520 to be filed with the IRS. After reading the instructions, I am a little unsure of how to report this, and was curious if any one could be of assistance. 

Let's say the amount received was $300,000. Initially, after looking through the form, I thought I could submit one 3520 form and mark the box 1i "Check the box if you are married and filing a joint 2020 income tax return, and you are filing a joint Form 3520 with your spouse" However - in the 3520 instructions, for Joint Returns,  it states "If you and your spouse are filing a joint income tax return for tax year 2020, and you are both transferors, grantors, or beneficiaries of the same foreign trust, then you may file a joint Form 3520. If you and your spouse are filing a joint Form 3520, check the box on line 1i on page 1."

Since we did NOT receive this money from a foreign trust (it's from my FIL directly), now I am thinking we shouldn't check this box. Is this correct? And if so, does this mean my wife and I should instead file 2 separate from 3520's, with each one stating a gift of $150,000 (half of the $300,000 gift). 

Thank you