Filing taxes: Medicaid nursing home patient

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Weathering

Filing taxes: Medicaid nursing home patient

Post by Weathering »

I’ve offered to help my sister-in-law with my father-in-law’s tax filing for 2020. A tax filing needs to be done for him to get the $600 stimulus $ (he received the first stimulus $ but the 2nd one says ‘not enough info’. He didn’t file taxes in 2019 because he doesn’t need to. He is on Medicaid in a nursing home. They take all his monthly income (social security and a small government pension) except for $30.

Is there a simple way to do the tax filing, such as only noting the $30/month income, or do I need to enter his social security and pension income minus the medical care that exceeds 7.5% of that amount?
Any insight would be appreciated.
fabdog

Re: Filing taxes: Medicaid nursing home patient

Post by fabdog »

you'll need his SSN, address, DOB etc to get a valid return. If there is income, enter it, so it doesn't get a letter later with income not reported.

You would need to enter the full pension and SS amounts, then take the medical deduction (if needed). If he has no taxable income when you put in the pension and SS with the standard deduction, I'd just do that. If it shows tax, then you need to enter the medical

Mike
Topic Author
Weathering

Re: Filing taxes: Medicaid nursing home patient

Post by Weathering »

Thank you for the reply. I’ll work with my sis-in-law to get the social security statement and pension statement. Then get rolling on a 1040-SR