Zelle app does not require password?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
markcoop

Zelle app does not require password?

Post by markcoop »

I have to be missing something very basic using Zelle. I recently downloaded the Zelle app on my phone and signed up for Zelle (created a password as part of the process). As my credit union is not affiliated with Zelle, I am not logging into my bank app and using it, but rather using the Zelle app directly. I did a test and was able to use it to send money. So, I logged out and then tried to log back in. I see my phone number when I open the app. I then click on the sign in button. I expected it to prompt me for my password. But it does not. It spins for a second and then I am in. At that point I can see my history and send/receive money. I even tried restarting my phone, but get the same behavior. I called Zelle customer service. They said that's how it works and their system can detect fraudulent activity. I question how that can possibly be secure? I don't get it. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the app. It does ask me for my password that first time after installation and then I get the no-password behavior on any other subsequent login attempt.

Is this really how it is supposed to work? Anyone here have experience with this?
Mark
newguy123

Re: Zelle app does not require password?

Post by newguy123 »

markcoop wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:21 pm I have to be missing something very basic using Zelle. I recently downloaded the Zelle app on my phone and signed up for Zelle (created a password as part of the process). As my credit union is not affiliated with Zelle, I am not logging into my bank app and using it, but rather using the Zelle app directly. I did a test and was able to use it to send money. So, I logged out and then tried to log back in. I see my phone number when I open the app. I then click on the sign in button. I expected it to prompt me for my password. But it does not. It spins for a second and then I am in. At that point I can see my history and send/receive money. I even tried restarting my phone, but get the same behavior. I called Zelle customer service. They said that's how it works and their system can detect fraudulent activity. I question how that can possibly be secure? I don't get it. I tried to uninstall and reinstall the app. It does ask me for my password that first time after installation and then I get the no-password behavior on any other subsequent login attempt.

Is this really how it is supposed to work? Anyone here have experience with this?
Pretty sure it uses the phone number 2 factor text as the password (does it send you a text message?)
I don't use the zelle app but do use bank of america , it seems like to send money , it uses the phone number as the account
Would I rather relax and make money or make money and relax ?
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I don't use Zelle but I have a couple of financial apps that will log in automatically. Most of them at least have an option to log out if you want. Paypal works that way.
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

No text message asking me for a code. I went through all the options (there are very few). No auto login. In fact, that would be a horrible option to turn on by default. There is an option to logout. If I click that, it brings me back to the screen with my phone number and the sign on button. If I click the button, I am back in. No password requested. I tried to send and receive money, everything works with no request for password or a verification code via a text message.
Mark
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Is it using facial ID to let you in? Try putting on a mask and logging in.
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

Euphonium wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:35 pm Is it using facial ID to let you in? Try putting on a mask and logging in.
My Android phone does not have facial recognition.
Mark
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

Maybe try turning off your fingerprint/passcode/draw pattern security and see if that "breaks" the Zelle app? It may be just going with as long as the phone is secure, anyone with access to the unlocked phone can use it?
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

N1CKV wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:56 pm Maybe try turning off your fingerprint/passcode/draw pattern security and see if that "breaks" the Zelle app? It may be just going with as long as the phone is secure, anyone with access to the unlocked phone can use it?
There is a fingerprint option under preferences. I have played around with that, but have yet to understand where it asks for the fingerprint. I asked the customer service person on the phone and didn't get an answer I understood. She said it was my phone security and has nothing to do with Zelle. I then said, it is an option inside the Zelle app under preferences. She kept going back to it not being part of Zelle. Regardless, turning it on/off made no difference. There is no option to turn on/off passcode security. I don't see any draw pattern security in Zelle. What's even stranger is it logs me off after a certain amount of time. Then all I need to do is press the logon button again to logon without any security.

I thought about your last point too. If my phone has security, perhaps it feels the phone is secure. If that is the case, I would be shocked. Venmo and Paypal (really the same company) and every other financial app I have used requires some form of security.
Mark
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

markcoop wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:08 pm
I thought about your last point too. If my phone has security, perhaps it feels the phone is secure. If that is the case, I would be shocked. Venmo and Paypal (really the same company) and every other financial app I have used requires some form of security.
Paypal has a log out option, but if you stay logged in the app opens automatically, no password needed.
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

Hmmm...I guess my phone security is good enough for things like Google Pay. So, maybe that is what it's using. To that end, I turned off my phone security. At that point, Google Pay complained that it cannot be used without phone security. Nice. But no such message from Zelle. Zelle allowed me to log on without security even if my phone has no security.
Last edited by markcoop on Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mark
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

aristotelian wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:11 pm
markcoop wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:08 pm
Paypal has a log out option, but if you stay logged in the app opens automatically, no password needed.
Zelle has a logout option too. But all I need to do afterwards is press logon. It does not ask for my password even if I logout.
Mark
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

Interesting. What phone?

I purchased a Pixel 5 on release last October and I noticed something similar in the Walmart App. I use Walmart Pay at the register (scan a QR code to pay with saved credit card) and it used to require a fingerprint, you could turn it on and off, now it doesn't seem to matter the setting, it just opens and is ready to scan.
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

N1CKV wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:33 pm Interesting. What phone?

I purchased a Pixel 5 on release last October and I noticed something similar in the Walmart App. I use Walmart Pay at the register (scan a QR code to pay with saved credit card) and it used to require a fingerprint, you could turn it on and off, now it doesn't seem to matter the setting, it just opens and is ready to scan.
Interesting...Google Pixel 4a5g
Mark
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

markcoop wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:37 pm
N1CKV wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:33 pm Interesting. What phone?

Interesting...Google Pixel 4a5g
I think Google Pay, and most likely Walmart Pay, is designed to work that way. It relies on your phone's security and creates a virtual card number. Maybe Zelle has the same intention but there is no virtual card number and, at least on my phone, works with no phone security.
Mark
Topic Author
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

Well, I decided to uninstall Zelle from my phone. Just too easy if someone got my phone to transfer money. I do use Google Pay and even that makes me uncomfortable. But I feel I have more recourse with Google Pay if a problem occurs. Don't feel that with Zelle at this point. Besides, it has been rare that I have had the need to use Zelle. If I ever need to use it, I can install it, enter the password, give/receive money and then uninstall.
Mark