CitiBank $700 Offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
azianbob

CitiBank $700 Offer

Post by azianbob »

I have a CD coming due next month, and with the dearth of savings and no penalty CDs available, I was strongly considering this.

You just have to put a combined $50k into savings (0.1% interest currently) or checking at Citi for 60 days and you get $700 bonus 90 days after.

So I figure I would be putting $50k away for 5 months and earn about $20 of interest during that time, plus get the $700 bonus. I don't see anything else out there currently that's much better.

I read through the terms and there seems to be no direct deposit required, and can withdraw after you get the bonus.

Anyone else has done this or considering?

https://banking.citibank.com/cbol/check ... /700/offer
Last edited by azianbob on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makaveli

Re: CitiBank $700 Offer

Post by Makaveli »

$30 monthly service fee.

Nevermind, 50k relieves that burden.
ohboy!

Post by ohboy! »

azianbob wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:18 pm I have a CD coming due next month, and with the dearth of savings and no penalty CDs available, I was strongly considering this.

You just have to put a combined $50k into savings (0.5% interest currently) or checking at Citi for 60 days and you get $700 bonus 90 days after.

So I figure I would be putting $50k away for 5 months and earn about $100 of interest during that time, plus get the $700 bonus. I don't see anything else out there currently that's much better.

I read through the terms and there seems to be no direct deposit required, and can withdraw after you get the bonus.

I just completed the one for citi gold. Their customer service is some of the worst. Supposedly the bonus money came through and I closed the account just waiting for the closing check by mail.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Makaveli wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:24 pm $30 monthly service fee.

Nevermind, 50k relieves that burden.
Right, make sure to withdraw and close in one fell swoop to avoid these fees.

I have a bunch of Ally CDs mature this year and will look for offers like this.
Last edited by TravelGeek on Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
azianbob

Post by azianbob »

ohboy! wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:25 pm I just completed the one for citi gold. Their customer service is some of the worst. Supposedly the bonus money came through and I closed the account just waiting for the closing check by mail.
Do you have to close and get the final check by mail? You can't transfer out your money electronically and then call/online to close the $0 balance account?
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I've done Citi bonuses before. They are worth it, but Citi is the worst bank in the world. So put your tiger underwear on. And check my post history so you can understand how to close the account without paying a service fee, gleaned from data points on the worst bank in the world.
drk

Post by drk »

I did one with Citi a couple years ago. When it came time to pay out the bonus, they didn't do it automatically, so I called and had to submit a ticket to get them to look into it. When they tried to deny the bonus again, I sent over the receipts of the terms, deposits, etc. Eventually they paid up, but it was more work than any other bank bonus I've done.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I'm still waiting on my bonus for the $400 offer, terms met Sept 4... It's mid Jan.

I probably wouldn't give them $50k on a $700 bonus
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

drk wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:29 pm I did one with Citi a couple years ago. When it came time to pay out the bonus, they didn't do it automatically, so I called and had to submit a ticket to get them to look into it.
I am currently going through the same thing with Amex at the moment for their $25k/25k MR Savings Account offer from last year.

I guess once that is resolved, I can transfer the funds to Citi for the next scam/hassle.
ChowYunPhat

Post by ChowYunPhat »

whodidntante wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pm I've done Citi bonuses before. They are worth it, but Citi is the worst bank in the world. So put your tiger underwear on. And check my post history so you can understand how to close the account without paying a service fee, gleaned from data points on the worst bank in the world.
Whodidntante, can you reference a post or share how best to close out a Citi account to avoid fees? Appreciate you weighing in on the thread.

CYP
A wise man and his money are friends forever...
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

ChowYunPhat wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:41 pm
whodidntante wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:28 pm I've done Citi bonuses before. They are worth it, but Citi is the worst bank in the world. So put your tiger underwear on. And check my post history so you can understand how to close the account without paying a service fee, gleaned from data points on the worst bank in the world.
Whodidntante, can you reference a post or share how best to close out a Citi account to avoid fees? Appreciate you weighing in on the thread.

CYP
whodidntante wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 5:24 pm
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:55 pm
whodidntante wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:05 am
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:58 pm
student wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:50 pm

Citi is still at 1.05%. (It only applies in certain areas, I think places with no citi branches.)
Citibank also offers a $400 bonus on a $15000 deposit x 60 days with no direct deposit required. We opened two accounts last month. The interest was something trivial though, so we’ll bail out after the bonus materializes.
I just completed this bonus. It went fine for me. People seem to have various complaints about Citi. I just went in assuming they are the worst bank in the world. Low expectations are the key to happiness. :happy

Currently executing a scheme to rescue my 10k (avoid fees) and close the account without visiting a branch. This has been easy at every bank I've dealt with except for a few regionals, but with Citi, you need a plan.
Don’t they simply let you withdraw your remaining balance via ACh after the bonus shows up and then request the account be closed? My plan was just to pull (as opposed to push) the balance back into the CapOne360 account that I originally used to fund the Citi accounts. Would be annoying to have to show face in a branch.
I have successfully closed the account.

Here is what I did was:
0. Drawdown my balances to 10k to avoid fees.
1. Call to convert my interest checking account to a non-interest bearing one. The chat person or successful Turing test could not do it.
2. Move all the money in savings to checking, leaving $0 in savings and 10k in checking.
3. Wait for the interest to post, which happens at the close of a statement cycle.
4. Withdraw all the money, leaving $0 in everything. I used an ACH pull from an outside account.
5. Wait for the transaction to go from pending to posted.
6. Use secure message to close the account.
7. Verify both accounts are closed by logging in the next day.

I will check again next month just to make sure. With most banks steps 4-6 are sufficient. Maybe it is with Citi, too. But data points say otherwise.
Goal33

Post by Goal33 »

I did it and it went fine.
calvin+hobbes

Post by calvin+hobbes »

Yep, my current citi accelerate savings account has a monthly withdrawal limit of $10,000 which is absurd. I got a $500 bonus and it's taking months to pull my money out to the account minimum. I think I will just go ahead and close it because it's essentially useless if I actually want to move money around.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I would pay them to move my accounts to another bank for me.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

My wife and I have both done multiple CitiBank bonuses. We always just went to the bank and asked to close the account. CitiBank always provided a complimentary cashier's check.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 »

calvin+hobbes wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:57 pm
Yep, my current citi accelerate savings account has a monthly withdrawal limit of $10,000 which is absurd. I got a $500 bonus and it's taking months to pull my money out to the account minimum. I think I will just go ahead and close it because it's essentially useless if I actually want to move money around.
Lol wow...i didnt realize the withdrawal limit is 10k.

Are you saying you cant transfer more than that to another non-citi account if u wanted to close the account?
justsomeguy2018

Post by justsomeguy2018 »

azianbob wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:18 pm I have a CD coming due next month, and with the dearth of savings and no penalty CDs available, I was strongly considering this.

You just have to put a combined $50k into savings (0.1% interest currently) or checking at Citi for 60 days and you get $700 bonus 90 days after.

So I figure I would be putting $50k away for 5 months and earn about $20 of interest during that time, plus get the $700 bonus. I don't see anything else out there currently that's much better.

I've done this bonus before, I will 2nd (or 3rd or 4th) that they are an awful bank to deal with. Just nonsensical in their approach to the customer.

In my case I did get the bonus, transferred the funds and "closed" the account, then this month I noticed the "closed account" had a -$64 balance, they had charged a $30 maintenance fee since there wasn't $50k in it then a $34 overdraft penalty fee because the account had no money in it to pay the $30 maintemance fee.

So I had to call them again to close the account, the rep I spoke with was probably the most competent of any I had dealt with and reversed the fees and closed the account (I think and hope...).
invest4

Post by invest4 »

I also took advantage of this offer and closed within the last few months.

* Be sure you closely follow the appropriate links and corresponding process for setting up the account

* I always deposit an extra $50 or $100 beyond the requirement for safety (makes me feel better anyway).

* Confirm the account is setup properly (call them)

* As other have noted, customer service is generally poor...thus why I suggest to take some care to ensure it set it up correctly and confirm it.

* Withdrawing funds is not so simple due to limits they place on transfers. I went ahead and paid the fee for a wire which does the trick...well worth it vs the alternative. However, due to the amount you may still be asked to provide some additional information to the fraud dept. before they will send it through. May be as simple as your debit card number or a series of questions from your credit history.

* Closing the account is straightforward enough...call them and close.

* Also, if you have a spouse and sufficient funds, you can double the fun by opening two individual accounts.

Hope the above is helpful. Best wishes.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

azianbob wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:18 pm
...Anyone else has done this or considering?

Nope, not based upon the dreadful reviews of Citibank on this forum and elsewhere.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
calvin+hobbes

Post by calvin+hobbes »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:33 am

Are you saying you cant transfer more than that to another non-citi account if u wanted to close the account?
I haven't had time during business hours to call and close it, so I don't know.

I presume if you close it, they can transfer everything out. Over the summer I wanted to move 30k from Citi to a separate checking account for a large purchase but I literally could not because of their ridiculous limit. Had to pull from other savings accounts instead. It took 3 months of scheduled monthly withdrawals to draw the account down to the required minimum to avoid service fees.
Topic Author
azianbob

Post by azianbob »

Is there a monthly withdrawal limit if we walk into a branch and close the account? If I drop $50k, wait 5 months and get the bonus, walk into a branch (COVID willing) and close out the account?
SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor »

justsomeguy2018 wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:33 am

You can't transfer if you push from Citi. I think you can pull from another account. Or if you have a local Citi, you can visit and get a cashier's check.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

I did the $400 one some years ago. They wait to start the clock and require you to stay until their clock runs out. What do I mean? So I open the account and am ready to ACH over the funds. It took a good week for the small deposits and verifications to all clear. Then I ACH over and they hold it for a week. In all, from my actual opening to the "clock starting" meeting all the requirements was a solid month. I don't remember any issues getting all the money out in one withdrawal.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I had a similar deal with CitiBank for 15k about 3 years ago. They messed up and I lost out. I will not deal with them again.
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

My wife and I each did a $200 bonus with Citi a couple of years ago. I think we had to deposit $5k into each account to earn $200 per account. So it was a smaller bonus but a better yield. We got the bonuses without issue a few months later.

I had already earned checking account bonuses at just about all the other banks giving bonuses at the time so thought I'd try Citi too. However, they would be among my last choices as people report lots of headaches in dealing with them. Based on those reports, I was prepared to not earn a bonus with Citi.

In my case, I was depositing $5k for 6 months to possibly earn a yield of 8% if the bonus did, in fact, come through. I decided to roll the dice and it worked out fine. A $700 bonus requiring $50k for 6 months results in an annual return of 2.8%. I am not sure the upside of the $700 bonus is worth the downside of the risk that you might get nothing or possibly have to deal with problems trying to get the bonus.

Only you can decide if it's worth it to you to take the chance. In short, CitiBank doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation when it comes to bonuses. If you've already earned bonuses elsewhere, though, and don't have other good places to put the money, perhaps you'll get lucky like I did and actually get the bonus without a problem. If you go for it, I wish you luck (you may need it!).
Buffetologist

Post by Buffetologist »

We did Citigold back in 2016. I completely documented that we would get the bonus in online chats with representatives and then didn't get it. I couldn't believe it. They said that it was a targeted offer. After a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, with all of the documentation from my online chats, we got eventually got the bonus. This was the one and only time that a bank ever defaulted on an obligation to me. I don't do business with Citibank any more. It took a lot of work to get that bonus. Their offers are attractive until you consider the default risk. This is not a CD.
Immelmann

Post by Immelmann »

I moved our emergency fund to Citi to get the $700 bonus. I was expecting to wait another month, but the bonus just hit after 4 months (opened mid Sept).

Now to figure out how to extricate myself without paying any fees.... and to figure out what else to do with the emergency fund in this environment. Current plan is to go back to our capitalone savings which pays a little bit of interest.
citih8r

Post by citih8r »

Long time lurker, thank you everyone for this wonderful community!

I opened a Citi account and attempted a $15k ACH push from my Credit Union on 12/3/2020 in service of the $700 bonus. On 12/7 Citi's fraud department called and asked me to hold while they tried to contact my CU for some sort of authentication. Upon learning that'd entail a hold for a CU CSR, Citi told me to call back later instead. Three hours later I did. Citi said they'd already rejected the ACH.

After a few days funds hadn't been returned to my CU, and I started making calls. Repeatedly over several calls multiple Citi reps claimed they had proof funds were back at my CU but were totally unable to share a trace number or any sort of documentation. It's apparently a very slow process getting my CU to dispute an ACH I admit I authorized, but that's what Citi wanted me to do. I kept calling Citi every few days while working on the dispute, but always got the same story: CU has the money, Citi can't help, not our problem, please dispute via CU.

Then, on January 12 -- 36 days after the 12/7 date Citi insisted repeatedly funds had been returned successfully to my CU -- I got an automated email from Citi saying they were rejecting the ACH. The next morning I had my money.

There appears to be some consensus that Citi's the worst of all possible banks, and I'm inclined to agree, it's not just a rep or ten, it's clearly an institutional issue. Churn with a clean conscience, if you dare. I sure don't.
Last edited by citih8r on Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Immelmann

Post by Immelmann »

citih8r, thank you. I think you convinced me to actually go into branch and try to walk out with a closed account and cashier's check.
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

FWIW - I did this last year. Opened the account online and had no issues funding it from my BOFA account. Got the bonus almost exactly 4 months after funding the account (so about 2 months after hitting the 60-day requirement). Had some issues closing the account and transferring out the funds, so went to my local branch in person. The cashier was not particularly competent, but after waiting for about 15 minutes they figured it out, closed the account, and gave me a cashier's check for the account balance. I've heard a lot of complaints about Citi so may have dodged a bullet, but was worth it overall for me.
Immelmann

Post by Immelmann »

Just to close the loop on my experience. Based on the comments that transferring/closing is problematic, I put on my KN95 mask and went to a citi branch. I was the only customer inside this morning. Out a few minutes later with a cashier's check, all citi accounts closed, no fees. Across the street ( literally) to Chase where I have an account, deposited. Done in 10 minutes. Now where to park the emergency fund? Capitalone pays 0.4%...
02nz

Post by 02nz »

I've done a bunch of these Citi offers. Agree with the poster above who said Citi is the worst (at least of the major banks I've dealt with). But the advantages of the Citi offers are that 1) there's no direct deposit requirement; 2) with interest rates so low now the opportunity cost is minimal; and 3) they are pretty easy to churn, the offers seem to be always available and you only need to wait 180 days after closing to do it all over again.
HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 »

Just another data point that Citi is the worst. Battling with them to get previous bonus actually paid, transfer out limits tie up money once there, fees on way out. Not worth all of the headaches or hours. Never again with them. YMMV.
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato
money2churn

Post by money2churn »

I'm thinking of taking my chances and doing the $300 ( 15K deposit) offer, it's actually a better deal. Can Citi be worse than Wells Fargo? I guess I'll find out.
dcw213

Post by dcw213 »

I did a $400 deal with them about 4 or 5 years ago and it was a big hassle. Had to call many times and often had trouble reaching people that could help. They tried to tell me I was ineligible and I had to prove it. Last year I signed up for another bonus and got email and paper mail confirming my account was opened but when I logged in there was nothing there. Several calls told me it was set up for online banking but I could see nothing. I wound up not depositing anything and told them to close the account. Apart from an old cash back credit card with some good rotating 5% categories, I am done with them as a bank.
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

This thread was a big help. I just received their offer in the mail today, and it seemed pretty good.

But based on these experiences it's not going to be worth the trouble. After taxes, I'd get at max $250.

It's not going to be worth my time. I'll rather do one extra credit card offer...
45% VTI | 35% VXUS | 10% I-bonds | 10% EE-bonds
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ivgrivchuck wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:48 pm This thread was a big help. I just received their offer in the mail today, and it seemed pretty good.

But based on these experiences it's not going to be worth the trouble. After taxes, I'd get at max $250.

It's not going to be worth my time. I'll rather do one extra credit card offer...
I was tempted by the $400 offer last year, partly because there weren't the usual requirements to do debit transactions, but all the reports of difficulties were discouraging so I decided it wasn't worth it.

I used to live within walking distance of a branch thirty-plus years ago, and was very happy with my passbook savings account; it paid very competitive interest at the time.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I opened up a Citi Accelerate Savings account a couple of months ago (no bonus, I was just looking for a HYSA to park funds for emergency purposes, and Citi had a relatively good rate at the time). I don't recall seeing anything about a monthly limit in the fine print when I signed up - just the usual federal limit on number of transactions. I guess I won't be adding any funds beyond what I have there now.

Not to derail the $700 bonus discussion, but it looks like the withdrawal limit can vary:

e5116

Post by e5116 »

CardinalRule wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:32 am
I opened up a Citi Accelerate Savings account a couple of months ago (no bonus, I was just looking for a HYSA to park funds for emergency purposes, and Citi had a relatively good rate at the time). I don't recall seeing anything about a monthly limit in the fine print when I signed up - just the usual federal limit on number of transactions. I guess I won't be adding any funds beyond what I have there now.

Not to derail the $700 bonus discussion, but it looks like the withdrawal limit can vary:

Yeah my limit is $10k month. I did a $300 bonus last year for $15k deposit so had to withdraw down to $10k this past month, and have to wait to withdraw the rest until next month. I just hope I don't get like 3 cents of interest that hasn't been paid but I guess I'd still close the account with that and they can send me check if needed most likely (and I don't care if I don't get that) but don't want account open/monthly service charge after I get the $10k outta there. My experience in doing this has been fairly painless, just took a while....my account rules require $10k to avoid service charges.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I have to agree with the poster who said that Citibank is the worst bank in the world. I've never had the "pleasure" of dealing with Citibank until recently because my husband uses them and I handle the monthly bills since he has a more stressful career.

They had trouble refunding charges on a mistake they made. And then they gave me a lot of trouble to refund something like a measly $5 interest charge I had incurred because I had entered a wrong number when paying off the card statement balance. Nothing at all like your friendly credit unions, who are always bending over backwards to actually help.

Worst part is the constant bouncing by the reps to the fraud department; the fraud department then says there's no reason for me to have been transferred to the fraud department because there's nothing wrong with the account. And their voice verification security system doesn't work too. We're both men, but we don't sound alike. Or maybe it's alright as long as I get the passphrase correct ...
Buffetologist

Post by Buffetologist »

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Buffetologist wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:36 am Just another data point

https://abc11.com/man-loses-life-saving ... t/9918015/
Interesting. I am now having my first-ever horrible experience with Citi. It all started earlier this week when I received an email notification from Identity Guard: "Identity Verification Transaction Detected." I logged onto Identify Guard and saw that it was related to Citi.

I called Identity Guard and was given a number to call at Citi. The human I finally reached was naturally unable to help, and she referred me to the fraud group. The person on Citi's fraud team then told me that I would receive a letter with instructions, but that she was unable to tell me more.

No idea what's going on. The only recent activity in my savings account has been some online transfers-in, from another bank. I generated a virtual credit card number to pay a subscription online with my credit card last week, but that's about it.

Anyway, really frustrating, and after reading the article above, kinda scary. Citi has no brick-and-mortar locations where I live. Hopefully I will receive the letter today and straighten this out. Online access to my relatively new accelerated savings account and longstanding Mastercard are blocked in the meantime. I intend to close the credit card and my $25,000 savings account, which is supposed to be something of an emergency fund. :annoyed

So go for bonuses, but be wary of Citi. I now know why so many folks dislike it.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

A little OT but since there was such a consensus here that Citi is the worst bank, I thought some might chuckle at this article on how Citi mistakenly wired hundreds of millions of dollars and can't get it back:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-transfer
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

Caduceus wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:08 pm I have to agree with the poster who said that Citibank is the worst bank in the world.
Citi is truly horrible. I had decided to close my account, which had the $10,000 balance required to avoid monthly fees. Citi wouldn't allow me to transfer funds out of the account to my bank, instead insisting on sending me a check. So instead of moving the funds quickly and securely, I have to wait for "10 to 15 business days" for my check to (hopefully) arrive in the mail.

And this was after trying to deal with maddening "chat bot" on citi.com. :annoyed
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

02nz wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:35 pm A little OT but since there was such a consensus here that Citi is the worst bank, I thought some might chuckle at this article on how Citi mistakenly wired hundreds of millions of dollars and can't get it back:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... n-transfer
If Citi can't keep track of its own money, how can anyone expect Citi to keep track of theirs? :shock: