Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
User avatar
Topic Author
thethinker
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:15 am

Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by thethinker »

I’m searching for just a little extra income and continue to come across different ways to make money using amazon. There are so many YouTube videos suggesting 6-future income it has me worried about a scam. Though I’m not trying to turn this into a career, I’m trying to earn some extra money that allows me to make money from home during non 9-5 workday hours. So the $100 per hour pitch might be a scam but that doesn’t make the whole method of selling with amazon a scam.

If anyone has had success or failure with amazon or another online income stream (ideally the more passive the better), please reply below or PM me.
runner3081
Posts: 3837
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by runner3081 »

Yes, a little bit through reselling items via merchant fulfilled.
User avatar
Topic Author
thethinker
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:15 am

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by thethinker »

runner3081 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:08 pm Yes, a little bit through reselling items via merchant fulfilled.
Personal items you had around the house?
Or did you find/buy the items and resell them on Amazon?
runner3081
Posts: 3837
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2016 3:22 pm

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by runner3081 »

thethinker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:14 pm
runner3081 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:08 pm Yes, a little bit through reselling items via merchant fulfilled.
Personal items you had around the house?
Or did you find/buy the items and resell them on Amazon?
Garage sales, Craigslist and Thrift stores.
Uncle Morris
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:13 pm

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by Uncle Morris »

thethinker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 pm I’m searching for just a little extra income and continue to come across different ways to make money using amazon. There are so many YouTube videos suggesting 6-future income it has me worried about a scam. Though I’m not trying to turn this into a career, I’m trying to earn some extra money that allows me to make money from home during non 9-5 workday hours. So the $100 per hour pitch might be a scam but that doesn’t make the whole method of selling with amazon a scam.

If anyone has had success or failure with amazon or another online income stream (ideally the more passive the better), please reply below or PM me.
It was easier years ago. If these guys are trying to make money by making videos instead of selling on Amazon, that says a lot about how hard it is now. If it were so easy, they wouldn't be wasting their time on YouTube.
J295
Posts: 2800
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by J295 »

It is possible. However it isn’t low hanging fruit. You have to be smart and be prepared to work.

I early retired and have no interest in doing the necessary work. However, I am personally familiar with two specific businesses that are Amazon-based. In both instances products are manufactured in China and then sold through Amazon in the United States.

To have have the best chance of success you will need a mentor and/or education through one of the intensive courses that are offered, and a skill set similar to that of a strategic consultant/chief operating officer.
MishkaWorries
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by MishkaWorries »

thethinker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 pm I’m searching for just a little extra income and continue to come across different ways to make money using amazon. There are so many YouTube videos suggesting 6-future income it has me worried about a scam. Though I’m not trying to turn this into a career, I’m trying to earn some extra money that allows me to make money from home during non 9-5 workday hours. So the $100 per hour pitch might be a scam but that doesn’t make the whole method of selling with amazon a scam.

If anyone has had success or failure with amazon or another online income stream (ideally the more passive the better), please reply below or PM me.

Not to veer off topic but I know several people who are doing contact tracing from their homes on nights and weekends.

Hopefully that will not be necessary soon but it'll be around for awhile.
We plan. G-d laughs.
User avatar
KneePartsPro
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:52 am

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by KneePartsPro »

This small town college student purchases items returned to Amazon by the truckload then auctions them off individually. Not sure if this fits your criteria for "makes money through Amazon" or not. https://www.facebook.com/vrtiskabrothers/
I can tell you almost anything about artificial knees used in knee replacement, and almost nothing about investing.
Hyperchicken
Posts: 521
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by Hyperchicken »

There is official forum for Amazon sellers. You can read it for first-hand experience of what it is like. Amazon can be ruthless and the forum is full of horror stories of how sellers got shot down by Amazon. Or was few years ago, anyway.

I sold some used items on Amazon, sort of a garage sale for things I did not need. It went well and I had good experience with them, but this is completely different from running this as a business to generate side income. If anything goes wrong, be ready to lose both the item and the money.

It also became more difficult in the last few years to sell items on Amazon. Some 3rd party sellers are playing dirty and are taking over the product pages and mark them as collectibles, so that ordinary sellers cannot list on these pages.
qwertyjazz
Posts: 1490
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:24 am

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by qwertyjazz »

Do not do it myself but r/flipping seems to have some good guides and an active community to ask questions
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
seligsoj
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:44 am

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by seligsoj »

As a side hustle, I bought a niche website which promotes training jack russell terriers and an e-book. I sell the e-book on the website as well as on amazon kindle.
User avatar
Topic Author
thethinker
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:15 am

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by thethinker »

MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:18 pm
thethinker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 pm I’m searching for just a little extra income and continue to come across different ways to make money using amazon. There are so many YouTube videos suggesting 6-future income it has me worried about a scam. Though I’m not trying to turn this into a career, I’m trying to earn some extra money that allows me to make money from home during non 9-5 workday hours. So the $100 per hour pitch might be a scam but that doesn’t make the whole method of selling with amazon a scam.

If anyone has had success or failure with amazon or another online income stream (ideally the more passive the better), please reply below or PM me.

Not to veer off topic but I know several people who are doing contact tracing from their homes on nights and weekends.

Hopefully that will not be necessary soon but it'll be around for awhile.
Is that something done online? Over the phone?
Is it set up through the county/state or health business?
I’d like to hear more if you can share please. PM me if you’d like
MishkaWorries
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:39 pm

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by MishkaWorries »

thethinker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 pm
MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:18 pm
thethinker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 pm I’m searching for just a little extra income and continue to come across different ways to make money using amazon. There are so many YouTube videos suggesting 6-future income it has me worried about a scam. Though I’m not trying to turn this into a career, I’m trying to earn some extra money that allows me to make money from home during non 9-5 workday hours. So the $100 per hour pitch might be a scam but that doesn’t make the whole method of selling with amazon a scam.

If anyone has had success or failure with amazon or another online income stream (ideally the more passive the better), please reply below or PM me.

Not to veer off topic but I know several people who are doing contact tracing from their homes on nights and weekends.

Hopefully that will not be necessary soon but it'll be around for awhile.
Is that something done online? Over the phone?
Is it set up through the county/state or health business?
I’d like to hear more if you can share please. PM me if you’d like
I don't know too much. I just hear people talking about it. I know it is all done at home and mostly telephone contact. No one has to go out and find people.

I looked online right now in my area snd there are lots of these type jobs. The university and state health is looking but those look full-time. A small nearby city has positions for "remote contracted contact tracer" available. Indeed and Glassdoor also have jobs listed but I don't know if they are reputable websites.

Hop online and look. No reason you have to limit search to your area. I'd just do a nationwide search. Hope that helps. Good luck!
We plan. G-d laughs.
User avatar
Topic Author
thethinker
Posts: 299
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:15 am

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by thethinker »

MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:38 pm
thethinker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 9:10 pm
MishkaWorries wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:18 pm
thethinker wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:50 pm I’m searching for just a little extra income and continue to come across different ways to make money using amazon. There are so many YouTube videos suggesting 6-future income it has me worried about a scam. Though I’m not trying to turn this into a career, I’m trying to earn some extra money that allows me to make money from home during non 9-5 workday hours. So the $100 per hour pitch might be a scam but that doesn’t make the whole method of selling with amazon a scam.

If anyone has had success or failure with amazon or another online income stream (ideally the more passive the better), please reply below or PM me.

Not to veer off topic but I know several people who are doing contact tracing from their homes on nights and weekends.

Hopefully that will not be necessary soon but it'll be around for awhile.
Is that something done online? Over the phone?
Is it set up through the county/state or health business?
I’d like to hear more if you can share please. PM me if you’d like
I don't know too much. I just hear people talking about it. I know it is all done at home and mostly telephone contact. No one has to go out and find people.

I looked online right now in my area snd there are lots of these type jobs. The university and state health is looking but those look full-time. A small nearby city has positions for "remote contracted contact tracer" available. Indeed and Glassdoor also have jobs listed but I don't know if they are reputable websites.

Hop online and look. No reason you have to limit search to your area. I'd just do a nationwide search. Hope that helps. Good luck!
I will do that. Thank you
User avatar
fishandgolf
Posts: 633
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: Does anyone here make money through Amazon?

Post by fishandgolf »

J295 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:10 pm It is possible. However it isn’t low hanging fruit. You have to be smart and be prepared to work.

I early retired and have no interest in doing the necessary work. However, I am personally familiar with two specific businesses that are Amazon-based. In both instances products are manufactured in China and then sold through Amazon in the United States.

To have have the best chance of success you will need a mentor and/or education through one of the intensive courses that are offered, and a skill set similar to that of a strategic consultant/chief operating officer.
+1000

....a wise man once said ........see above.........

Good Luck!
Post Reply