H&R Block business 2020

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
bsteiner

H&R Block business 2020

Post by bsteiner »

When I try to open the H&R Block business 2020 on Windows 10, I get an error message saying the program has encountered an unexpected error and has to close.

Now that I have the 2020 program, the same thing happens when I try to open the 2018 or 2019 H&R Block business.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I could switch to TurboTax but I've been using the H&R Block software for about 30 years back to when it was Andrew Tobias' TaxCut, and then Kiplinger's TaxCut.
fabdog

Re: H&R Block business 2020

Post by fabdog »

Well, it's always a reasonable path to uninstall, reboot, and re install.

Have you changed antivirus or firewall software since the last time you used the programs?

If that doesn't help... have you gone online to H&R Block support?

Mike
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

This doesn't sound like an HRB issue, it sounds like a windows issue. Someone else already mentioned AV/Firewall.

It could also be that something else changed in windows (registry cleanup process, permissions changes, etc.). Do you have another computer (machine B)? You could try to install one of your years over there, and open up your old tax file, and verify everything works.

I would try that first, and if that goes ok, then I would try to figure out what's up with machine A.
ehousey

Post by ehousey »

I have the same problem. I just updated the software (2/1/2021) and it still crashes when I try to open my taxes that I previously had saved. I had the same problem last year (2019 taxes), installed on a different laptop with a different os (Windows 8.1 then vs 10 now) but somehow last year the software managed to let me finish the taxes enough to print and submit them. This time it is really "stuck".

When the software crashes it produces a stack traceback than can be copied to my clipboard. I have sent this off to H&R Block customer support 3 times now but I have not heard a response from them. I can't believe everyone isn't seeing the same thing. I may have to sit on the phone waiting for H&R Block customer support to answer - last time it was over an hour wait and I had to give up.
ivy001

Post by ivy001 »

I am having the same problem and 2018 and 2019 also close with encountering an unexpected error. If you solve the problem, please let me know.
tfb

Post by tfb »

bsteiner wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:42 am Now that I have the 2020 program, the same thing happens when I try to open the 2018 or 2019 H&R Block business.
For 2019 and later, follow the instructions here:

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution/000107040/000107040

For 2018, follow these instructions:

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution/000104154/000104154
Harry Sit has left the forums.
CBBSLLC

Post by CBBSLLC »

I am having the same problem. I got through the federal forms fine, uploaded the state, could see the forms but it would not allow mw to load them. Decided a restart may be in order, now all I get is the error. After a frustrating effort to reach HR Block tech support (1.25 hours on hold and rep hangs up on me after I tell her I've uninstalled and reinstalled software, etc). My IT person looked through everything and found nothing. I resorted to deleting my return and starting from scratch, which it allowed me to do UNTIL I got to the state forms. Now I can't proceed.
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

tfb wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:41 pm
bsteiner wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:42 am Now that I have the 2020 program, the same thing happens when I try to open the 2018 or 2019 H&R Block business.
For 2019 and later, follow the instructions here:

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution/000107040/000107040

For 2018, follow these instructions:

https://support.cch.com/kb/solution/000104154/000104154
Called H&R Block Support, tried the method on the first link, and it didn't work. The program loads but none of my returns are available. I'm expecting a follow-up from a Tier 2 support person sometime within the next day or so.
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Update: learn from my stupidity and don't make the same mistake I did. For Step 7, make sure you put the file in C:\Program Files (x86)\H&R Block Business\H&R Block Business 20YY, not C:\ProgramData\H&R Block Business\H&R Block Business 20YY! This fixed it.
beachlover

Post by beachlover »

Does anyone here know how and where H&R Block Business program saves the individual return files these days? They used to save clearly identifiable ATX files, with filename chosen by user. Now (at least with 2020, perhaps 2018 and 2019 if I recall correctly) I can't find them anywhere, even though within the program they list with the names I've given them - e.g. I can search entire disk using fragments of the name of the return, search for ATX files, etc., to no avail). Browsing the usual HRBLOCK data directories doesn't show anything promising either. I am able to export a backup ATX20EXPORT file to a location of of my choosing, but the original return files remain a mystery. Am I missing something? Are they now stored within an unrecognizable program data file? Online help seems silent on this and, like others above, my recent tries to get through to block user support have been unsuccessful. Thanks for any insight anyone might have.
diane330s

Post by diane330s »

Thank you so much! I did the same thing yre4ce did for step 7 - as soon as I corrected it this solution worked for me! You just saved days of my life. :sharebeer
TNReader

Post by TNReader »

I updated my Windows 10 to the Windows 10 20H2. Now I can't open either the 2019 or 2020 versions of the Block Business program. I follow the instructions at the solution above, but on Step 10, when I open the program, there is no Restore Database option under Help>Customer Support. The only options are Online Customer Support and Refresh App Configurations. So stuck. I have called Block and been upgraded and to receive call from Tech Support within 20 hrs.
Any other suggestions/solutions updates?
Thanks for any help.
knight_aj

Post by knight_aj »

I am having the same problem as you, TNReader. Was Block able to provide a solution?

Thank you
samsmith

Post by samsmith »

I continue to have this problem.
HR block customer support totally unhelpful. They saud they would call me back 6 weeks ago - still waiting.
And yes it somehow "broke" my prior year HRblock business programs.
I have used CTRl-ALT-dEL to stop the program and then reboot the computer. Sometimes have had to do this multiple times.
When I get the program to open - I do NOT shut it down. The program seems to work when opened, but is somehow getting stuck when it boots.
ncbill

Post by ncbill »

TNReader wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:14 am I updated my Windows 10 to the Windows 10 20H2. Now I can't open either the 2019 or 2020 versions of the Block Business program. I follow the instructions at the solution above, but on Step 10, when I open the program, there is no Restore Database option under Help>Customer Support. The only options are Online Customer Support and Refresh App Configurations. So stuck. I have called Block and been upgraded and to receive call from Tech Support within 20 hrs.
Any other suggestions/solutions updates?
Thanks for any help.
Same problem running it via Parallels emulator on a Mac.

Please post here if anyone finds a solution.
TNReader

Post by TNReader »

I again went back through each step of the solution and when I got to Step 10 and opened the program, there was a Restore Database option under Help. The only thing I can think of that I might have overlooked before that is not specifically in the instructions, is that on Step 5 after you click Apply, you also have to click OK. Otherwise I don't have a clue what I was doing different. I also had to implement this solution on my 2019 program to enable the 2020 program to pull in the prior year info. I was getting the error that prior year info could not be accessed as the 2019 program was running, which it was not.
I will echo the comments above re the Block Business (nonexistent) support. Allegedly my issue got sent up to a higher level tech area which was supposed to contact me within 24 hrs, but I have not heard from them a week later.
RIMDBogle

Post by RIMDBogle »

I am able to install HR Block Business 2020 on Win 10.

Any one able to complete 2020 1120_S using this software? There are challenges to enter QBI info, 2020 ERC etc.

Please share your experiences.
tweist

Post by tweist »

If you are still wondering, here is the directory where H&R Block Business 2020 keeps all the raw data in Win 10:

C:\ProgramData\H&R Block Business\H&R Block Business 2020

Original return files are now in csv format (nnnnnn.csv). For whatever reason, the file names are not obvious. Just digits, not the actual tax return name. Always a good idea to create a back up ATXnnEXPORT copy using the HRB Business software. Hope this helps.

beachlover wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:24 pm Does anyone here know how and where H&R Block Business program saves the individual return files these days? They used to save clearly identifiable ATX files, with filename chosen by user. Now (at least with 2020, perhaps 2018 and 2019 if I recall correctly) I can't find them anywhere, even though within the program they list with the names I've given them - e.g. I can search entire disk using fragments of the name of the return, search for ATX files, etc., to no avail). Browsing the usual HRBLOCK data directories doesn't show anything promising either. I am able to export a backup ATX20EXPORT file to a location of of my choosing, but the original return files remain a mystery. Am I missing something? Are they now stored within an unrecognizable program data file? Online help seems silent on this and, like others above, my recent tries to get through to block user support have been unsuccessful. Thanks for any insight anyone might have.
helpfulbear

Post by helpfulbear »

How I got my 2020 hrblock business return on old computer into hrbock 2021 on new computer. Installed hrblock 2021 on new and old computers. On old computer imported 2020 business into 2021 business, it worked seamlessly just like it should. Then used File>Backup return to create a backup: myname 2020 businessreturn.atx21Export. Saved file to new computer. Opened blockbusiness 21 program on new computer. used File> Restore return to bring in myname 2020 businessreturn.atx21Export. Then used File>Open saved return to make that return active and renamed it to myname 2021 business return. I tried many other things before I tried this, including installing hrblock2020 on new computer, and importing the .atx20Export file into it. This gave me my 2020 business return on my new computer, but the 21 business program on new computer gave me the Unable to access prior year return information because it is currently in use error when I tried to import last years data in the usual way through the program interview. Possibly reinstalling the 21 software would have fixed this issue, but I had already reinstalled the software once to fix another issue, so I tried above workaround first which worked. Hope this helps someone.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

I used the program this year for the first, and hopefully last, time to create an estate 1041. I really wish there was a way to just use a fillable PDF where I could type in the values I wanted.
samsmith

Post by samsmith »

Purchased HRBlock Business again this year.

Program remains "buggy" but the theoretical combination of estate, partnership and corporation returns is what I need.
A
nyway, once again having trouble entering some data and get error messages preventing me from efiling.
Have now spent hours trying to get through to customer support. When you get a person, they usually don't understand the Business program, and one just hung up, or they transfer me back into a que or they say someone will call me back (which never happens).

Anyway, two questions:

1)Has anyone used Drake? I end up doing multiple returns and they have a program that, while several hundred dollars, seems to include personal, business, and estate. My Dad, who was an accountant, used Drake prior to his passing

2) Is there an online forum for HRBlock? Maybe that might help. The help website (see below) has not even been updated with 2022
https://www.hrblock.com/customer_suppor ... tml?pfid=1.

PS: Just got transferred again. Spoke to someone - who gave me the "correct" number to call. Which was the initial number I called 90 minutes ago and started the transferring process..
talzara

Post by talzara »

samsmith wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:32 am 1)Has anyone used Drake? I end up doing multiple returns and they have a program that, while several hundred dollars, seems to include personal, business, and estate. My Dad, who was an accountant, used Drake prior to his passing
There are several Bogleheads who are considering professional tax software this year. In the past, they'd just override the calculation and file on paper. The IRS has a year-long backlog for paper returns this year, so people are willing to pay $300+ to e-file.

You might consider TaxAct Professional, which also includes all three forms: 1041, 1065, and 1120. The initial price is lower, but it doesn't bundle any free e-files, so it depends on how many returns you're filing. If you're familiar with Drake, then it'll be easier to stay with Drake.
samsmith wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:32 am 2) Is there an online forum for HRBlock? Maybe that might help.
H&R Block shut down its Community Forum after the 2017 tax year.
Newaygo

Post by Newaygo »

Shutting down the H&R Block tax community forum was a great loss. Everyone helped each other and would arrive at a solution. You could also report bugs and the H&R Block moderator would follow up with corporate. I asked on H&R Block's Facebook page what happened to the site. The response was we do not know what you are talking about.

Several years ago, I had four years of H&R block business tax software that would not open. Something had changed. I called H&R Block support and they sent me software so I could uninstall and reload the prior years. After this, the prior years started working. I should probably test them to see if they are still working.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

talzara wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:45 pm
samsmith wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:32 am 1)Has anyone used Drake? I end up doing multiple returns and they have a program that, while several hundred dollars, seems to include personal, business, and estate. My Dad, who was an accountant, used Drake prior to his passing
There are several Bogleheads who are considering professional tax software this year. In the past, they'd just override the calculation and file on paper. The IRS has a year-long backlog for paper returns this year, so people are willing to pay $300+ to e-file.

You might consider TaxAct Professional, which also includes all three forms: 1041, 1065, and 1120. The initial price is lower, but it doesn't bundle any free e-files, so it depends on how many returns you're filing. If you're familiar with Drake, then it'll be easier to stay with Drake.
Can anyone "just" buy such fancy software and file their own return? Or do they have to get signed up with the IRS as a paid preparer and so forth.

I guess the alternative is to e-file using personal software under whatever limitations it imposes, then immediately file a paper amended return to fix what it couldn't do correctly.
talzara

Post by talzara »

Makefile wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:01 pm Can anyone "just" buy such fancy software and file their own return? Or do they have to get signed up with the IRS as a paid preparer and so forth.
Anyone can buy professional tax software. You have to have a PTIN, but anyone can register with the IRS as a tax preparer. Just consider the IRS fee to be part of what you're paying for the software.
Makefile wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:01 pm I guess the alternative is to e-file using personal software under whatever limitations it imposes, then immediately file a paper amended return to fix what it couldn't do correctly.
You suggested this in the form 1116 changes thread, and someone replied that the IRS had trouble processing the amended return: viewtopic.php?p=6522669#p6522669

Since amended returns can now be e-filed, IRS employees have less experience processing paper amended returns. They're more likely to make an error on a 1040-X than a 1040.