Etiquette Question: Job offer while in middle of other interviews

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
marathonfi

Etiquette Question: Job offer while in middle of other interviews

Post by marathonfi »

Hey BH,

My girlfriend and I were hoping to that her employer which she interned with this past summer would extend her a full time offer after she graduates this year. She waited to hear back from them for a few months now, and the situation was becoming more bleak (no email responses) so she just assumed the business was bad and started looking and interviewing at other places. Interview prep was/is tough for tech in addition to her classes but she's managed fairly well. She's currently in the middle of interviewing with 2 companies (likely on-site invitation for company A and possible 2nd round for company B) and now her former supervisor reached out to her with good news of a potential offer, presumably loosening budget restrictions due to COVID. The supervisor wants to know if she's still available to start next year.

What's the proper way to respond? My gut feeling is to wait few more days to hear back from company A before responding, but at the same time, we also don't want to send the wrong signal to her former supervisor by not responding quickly.
fabdog

Re: Etiquette Question: Job offer while in middle of other interviews

Post by fabdog »

I'd let the former employer know she is still available. The former boss mentioned potential offer, so nothing done yet. She can also continue her interviews with company a and b. Only when there's a firm offer in hand from one of the 3 firms (that's acceptable to her) should she let the other 2 know she has a firm offer and if they are planning to move forward she needs to hear from them.

Given the current economy it's unclear which company will get you an offer first... but no need to discourage the place where she interned, since she was hoping for an offer for them. But don't stop talking to A and B

Mike
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

In my experience there's no such thing as a “potential job offer”…

Everything is still in play until you have a job offer in writing with explicit salary, benefits, and start date. Until she gets there you don't owe anyone anything. Keep interviewing, express interest in all viable opportunities, keep your options open.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

I'd say she's available.
I'd keep interviewing.
Get offer in hand, then go from there.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Is this her dream company to work for?

The former supervisor reached out to your girlfriend to say she is a possible candidate for a possible job. If I was in this position, I would wait a day and respond back along the lines that I:
- enjoyed my time at the company
- am actively looking for employment beginning in xx/21 preferably doing xyz
- am very interested to hear the specifics of the company’s offer

This will buy her at least a few days while the former supervisor puts together an actual offer. I wouldn’t reject great offers from other companies while waiting for an offer from the former company that might not materialize soon enough or ever. She should consider the health of all potential employers. It’s not unheard of for offers to be rescinded in uncertain times.

Best of luck!
BrooklynInvest

Post by BrooklynInvest »

Great question. Answer honestly and accurately -

"Great to hear from you! I am currently available but am interviewing aggressively. Can we chat soon?"
jerrysmith

Post by jerrysmith »

I play the game until it's done including accepting multiple offers.
Business is cutthroat and most places would toss you if they thought it would save them a buck so I do likewise in the pre-hire phase.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Yes, she is completely available to start next year.

Best case scenario, this potential job offer actually comes to fruition while she is still interviewing. She can mention to these companies that she has received an offer that she is considering.
sparksfly

Post by sparksfly »

+1 to what others have already said. She should be available and entertain all conversations until she has a firm offer in hand from one of them. Once that's in place, she can inform others (either to close the threads or to push them for expedite their offer if she isn't too excited by the first offer).
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I'd just respond with a "Yes, I am still interested in discussing an employment opportunity with the company. Look forward to speaking about it soon."

In the meantime, she should continue with the job search. Once she has an offer/offers in hand, then it is time to start making decisions. Until then, she should keep all options open.
Topic Author
marathonfi

Post by marathonfi »

Thanks. That's a good point. A potential offer isn't a real offer. We will proceed with that in mind. :happy
pseudoiterative

Post by pseudoiterative »

I don't think there's much point in delaying responding promptly if no firm job contract has been locked in. Reply promptly.

From the other side of the interview table: large companies will interview hundreds of applicants, and some companies that are very attractive places to work will only make a job offer to 1% or 0.1% of applicants who apply. Good hires are rare and expensive for the company to identify.

One bit of advice: one of the best possible times to negotiate for an attractive market-rate salary is when you have multiple competing job offers from multiple companies at the same time. One of the biggest possible factors in achieving a good outcome from salary negotiation is having strong competing offers.

If possible, try to slow down the hiring process for the opportunity that has advanced the furthest (e.g. try to schedule interview dates a little into the future) and try to speed up the hiring processes for competing opportunities that are earlier in the pipeline. Once you receive the first actual firm job offer then you can share parts of that information with the other companies where you're still going through the hiring process -- to see if they can expedite their hiring process or make a better offer. Before accepting any job offer it is a good idea to stall for time ("hmm. that's an interesting offer. i'll need some time to talk that through with my family and get back to you tomorrow") ,and then negotiate. See also: Salary Negotiation: Make More Money, Be More Valued

Places you probably don't want to work for will become less interested in hiring someone who has competing job offers -- because they know they can't match the offer, or are only looking for cheap employees, not good employees. Places you probably do want to work for will become more interested in someone who has competing job offers -- because it is additional evidence that the person would be valuable to have on board.
Topic Author
marathonfi

Post by marathonfi »

pseudoiterative wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:40 pm I don't think there's much point in delaying responding promptly if no firm job contract has been locked in. Reply promptly.

From the other side of the interview table: large companies will interview hundreds of applicants, and some companies that are very attractive places to work will only make a job offer to 1% or 0.1% of applicants who apply. Good hires are rare and expensive for the company to identify.

One bit of advice: one of the best possible times to negotiate for an attractive market-rate salary is when you have multiple competing job offers from multiple companies at the same time. One of the biggest possible factors in achieving a good outcome from salary negotiation is having strong competing offers.

If possible, try to slow down the hiring process for the opportunity that has advanced the furthest (e.g. try to schedule interview dates a little into the future) and try to speed up the hiring processes for competing opportunities that are earlier in the pipeline. Once you receive the first actual firm job offer then you can share parts of that information with the other companies where you're still going through the hiring process -- to see if they can expedite their hiring process or make a better offer. Before accepting any job offer it is a good idea to stall for time ("hmm. that's an interesting offer. i'll need some time to talk that through with my family and get back to you tomorrow") ,and then negotiate. See also: Salary Negotiation: Make More Money, Be More Valued

Places you probably don't want to work for will become less interested in hiring someone who has competing job offers -- because they know they can't match the offer, or are only looking for cheap employees, not good employees. Places you probably do want to work for will become more interested in someone who has competing job offers -- because it is additional evidence that the person would be valuable to have on board.
I just skimmed through the link you sent. Wow looks like a post packed with gem. I hope to revisit it in the near future. Thank you!
Watty

Post by Watty »

She may also be expected to interview again with that company and this may be more of invitation to apply for a job than an actual job offer.

Even if they do not want to interview her, she should still insist on interviewing them to make sure that everything is clear about just what the job is.

If there budgets are real tight they may also come up with a real low job offer.
stimulacra wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:23 pm Everything is still in play until you have a job offer in writing with explicit salary, benefits, and start date. Until she gets there you don't owe anyone anything. Keep interviewing, express interest in all viable opportunities, keep your options open.
It is also not unheard of for companies to rescind offers they make before your actually start at the job. This happened a lot in the financial crisis in 2008.

I would keep interviewing with other companies up to the day you actually start work.

I have also seen situations where someone started at a company then got a much better job offer from another company that they have previously interviewed at then left for the better job during the couple of weeks on the job. I would not do that for a marginally better job but if you are offered a job with 30% higher pay or a fantastic career opportunity people will understand even if they are not happy about you leaving.

In the long term it is actually in the first companies best interest if you do leave since you are unlikely to happy in a job that pays 30% less and will likely leave in a few years anyway. Working in that job for a year just because you feel an obligation is on no one's best interest.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

galawdawg wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:39 pm I'd just respond with a "Yes, I am still interested in discussing an employment opportunity with the company. Look forward to speaking about it soon."

In the meantime, she should continue with the job search. Once she has an offer/offers in hand, then it is time to start making decisions. Until then, she should keep all options open.
That's exactly what I would do. No need (and no advantage) to tell them you're interviewing somewhere else until you're having an actual conversation. And even then, do it when it's relevant in the conversation, or if they ask.
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

arsenalfan wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:24 pm I'd say she's available.
I'd keep interviewing.
Get offer in hand, then go from there.
+1
BigMoneyNoWhammies

Post by BigMoneyNoWhammies »

marathonfi wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:08 pm Hey BH,

My girlfriend and I were hoping to that her employer which she interned with this past summer would extend her a full time offer after she graduates this year. She waited to hear back from them for a few months now, and the situation was becoming more bleak (no email responses) so she just assumed the business was bad and started looking and interviewing at other places. Interview prep was/is tough for tech in addition to her classes but she's managed fairly well. She's currently in the middle of interviewing with 2 companies (likely on-site invitation for company A and possible 2nd round for company B) and now her former supervisor reached out to her with good news of a potential offer, presumably loosening budget restrictions due to COVID. The supervisor wants to know if she's still available to start next year.

What's the proper way to respond? My gut feeling is to wait few more days to hear back from company A before responding, but at the same time, we also don't want to send the wrong signal to her former supervisor by not responding quickly.
Until there is an offer in writing from the former internship employer, she doesn't have a job offer, period. "Potential offer" means nothing. I'd tell them yes I'd be available to start next year should a written offer be proffered. She should absolutely continue to go on interviews with other employers.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

marathonfi wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:08 pm The supervisor wants to know if she's still available to start next year.

As of now she had no job and is available to start next year. I'd say yes.

Hell, if I accepted one of the job offers I'd still say I'm available....
beyou

Post by beyou »

I have both been a hiring manger in IT and my son just went through the college IT recruiting process successfully.
When I say successfully, he went to a very highly regarded tech school and got interviews at many of the high profile tech firms,
a few onsite 2nd round interviews etc. One of the most exciting was Microsoft final round onsite in Seattle. Turns out they bring in
4 college grads for each single spot they want to fill, so while he thought the interview went extremely well, he was very disappointed to not get the offer there. My only point is, doesn't matter what you think, until you have a written offer you have NOTHING. The advice to slow one of them down is not a good idea when you are in college and have little work experience (maybe in a few years when you are more marketable).

In the end returning to an the internship was the best opportunity. 2 of 3 internships asked him to return, none of the interviews without prior internships went past 2nd or 3rd round interviews. It is very competitive especially if you are focusing on the top names. Unfortunately my son didn't listen when I told him take the signing bonus from one of his internship offers. He waited hoping one of the big ones would come through. He got a smaller signing bonus (from same firm) by waiting until he last minute to accept, but he got the job and some bonus. These firms have no loyalty to you, but he was trying to be ethical and not rush into something that he might back out of. I said take it if you would be happy with it, doesn't mean something much better can't come along unexpectedly. Worked out but shows the importance of landing something when are right out of college, don't worry about optimizing opportunities at that age. Get experience by getting an OFFER.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

"I'm so excited to hear that I may be considered by the company for a position. I would love to know more details about the position and compensation."

<and, if she really wants to stay at her current company or wants to maintain great relationships with her supervisor, I'd add>

"While I would love to continue working here, I want to let you know that I have been approached by two other companies, and have had initial discussions with them. Because of this, I would need to know more details about the offer here. Hopefully, this information can be given to me shortly."
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

"yes I am looking for a job for next year".

It is appropriate to indicate that you are looking up until the moment you accept a position.
prozario01

Post by prozario01 »

until you have offer letter on hand - there is no such thing as potential offer. I have had consulting offer where i' got the offer, ready go out for drug test & start in a week - and then they call saying they no longer have the position. So until you get offer, clear any drug test/background test etc - offer is not guaranteed. Even full time employment offer - where i had job locked up after interview - took months to get actual offer.

Of course you say - yes I'm available and interview interview interview.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Till you got an offer you got nothin’
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

"Great to hear from you! [Nice positive personal note if she knows the contact well.] I am available -- let's chat soon."
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

...She's currently in the middle of interviewing with 2 companies (likely on-site invitation for company A and possible 2nd round for company B) and now her former supervisor reached out to her with good news of a potential offer, presumably loosening budget restrictions due to COVID. The supervisor wants to know if she's still available to start next year. ...
Re the "potential offer" that others here have mentioned: how did you determine it was potential? Did the supervisor say this? If so, did she ask what he meant by that and if she didn't ask, does she now plan to? I would suggest that if she is still interested in this former company that she clarify this "offer." I would also want to know when "next year."

Otherwise, the bottom line for all the prospects is which one she is most interested in and why. Otherwise, it's just implied, or at least not clear to me, that the former company is the one she prefers.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

pseudoiterative wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:40 pm I don't think there's much point in delaying responding promptly if no firm job contract has been locked in. Reply promptly.

I have to counter some of this. Too many incompetent HR places extend offers to candidates while still interviewing. Just watched a friend be told they hired someone else for a spot that they were still interviewing for. It was absurd

Don't delay or speed up anyone until after you have an offer.
neb2020

Post by neb2020 »

In America, employment is at will. There is no "guarantee". Even with written offers, it can be rescinded like in the Great Recession.

How I play things is that I keep interviewing up to the very moment I start the new job. In the last job application, I also accepted more than 1 offer, with the secondary offer having a start date a few weeks after the first. Once I started the primary job and was sure that was where I wanted to be, I renege on the other offer. That's actually the safest route to play. OP is actually playing the most dangerous route, by stop interviewing even before you have a written offer!

Obviously, you have to pick who you renege too. The secondary offer was a backup company that I had no intention of working for and wouldnt mind crossing.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

neb2020 wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:23 am In America, employment is at will. There is no "guarantee". Even with written offers, it can be rescinded like in the Great Recession.

How I play things is that I keep interviewing up to the very moment I start the new job. In the last job application, I also accepted more than 1 offer, with the secondary offer having a start date a few weeks after the first. Once I started the primary job and was sure that was where I wanted to be, I renege on the other offer. That's actually the safest route to play. OP is actually playing the most dangerous route, by stop interviewing even before you have a written offer!

Obviously, you have to pick who you renege too. The secondary offer was a backup company that I had no intention of working for and wouldnt mind crossing.
This is the approach you want to take. There are many candidates out there and entry level is especially tough right now. Companies have no problem wasting a lot of time with "potential opportunities". Get as many offers as you can and take the best one(s).
Last edited by ClevrChico on Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Nothing wrong receiving multiple offers. Just say she's still available to start next year, because she is (in the sense that she is still in the interview process and hasn't accepted any offers).

The former supervisor is only talking about a 'potential' offer, anyway. This might not even materialize.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

TLDR. Think about it like being married. It doesn't matter how much the bloke professes his love for her, it isn't official until he puts a ring on it.

The same should be true about her employment status, until she gets and offer and passes all pre-employment checks, its not official. Even then think about it being engaged, yes, you might burn a bridge, but if a better bridewealth comes along, maybe you take that one.
Topic Author
marathonfi

Post by marathonfi »

Quick update:
The supervisor gave her a verbal offer this morning and we're now waiting on the formal offer to come through (probably Friday with 2-3 days to decide). She shared the offer news with company A to inquire about the onsite status, and they got back to her quickly and will be moving forward to the final stage!
We were planning to follow up with company B (1st interview was this Monday) tomorrow morning. I believe they only have a final technical round. Things are moving quickly. Should we go ahead and do it today? Also, would it benefit or hurt her case to share that she has an offer currently? We don't want them to walk but it looks like things need to accelerate in order for the offer dates to align properly.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Yes, it is appropriate to let others know that you have a verbal offer and a deadline of xxx. Companies encounter this all the time, and oftentimes, will accelerate their timetable if they're interested (and talent that others are trying to snap up is inherently more interesting).

A verbal offer is in the gray zone -- it's an expectation that there's likely to be an offer soon, but ultimately it's only worth the paper it's printed on ;)

See if you can get a full 1 week (or 2 weeks) to consider the offer.
Topic Author
marathonfi

Post by marathonfi »

Update:
So we accepted the offer in December but her visa paperwork had some delays, and we are few weeks late into her official start date. Her company actually wanted her to start early in January (we did too) but unfortunately she couldn't without the paperwork. It was also possible that the company might pull the offer at anytime because we don't know how long the delay will be on the gov side for employment document approval. Company B, the one we didn't hear back and had given up on when we accepted the offer, came back and invited her for virtual onsite interview earlier this month. To mitigate our risks, we went forward with it, and after few more rounds, she actually received an offer--one that we cannot refuse, with about 50% more in total compensation.

Her employment document situation will be resolved in a few weeks, so things are really improving. Now how do we move forward? How do we have this difficult conversation? We feel really bad about giving the bad news to the manager who's been patiently waiting. Even if she had started working (<3 months), I think we would change jobs if an opportunity like this comes up, so it probably is better than she hasn't started yet. We plan to tell the manager as soon as things are formalized with this new company, so that they can move on with another candidate.

Any suggestions on how to have this difficult conversation with her manager?
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

This isn’t going to be welcome news to the Company 1 manager but it happens. You need to do what’s right for you. Have the conversation by phone (not email) ASAP so the manager can start looking for another candidate. Keep it brief (let them know you are withdrawing your acceptance as your circumstances have changed) and thank them for the offer. Don’t over apologize or over explain. Even if asked for further explanation, I wouldn’t offer any details about taking another job with more pay. Most managers will be reluctant to probe a vague explanation like the one I suggested further as the circumstances might involve personal issues like health, etc.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Congrats! Is the visa approval going to be an issue for the new company too? If so, does that restart the clock on processing times?
Exchme

Post by Exchme »

You don't owe the original company anything other than politeness. You learned something valuable about them - they were too slow and procedure heavy to compete effectively for talent. Tell them she will keep them in mind if her current position doesn't work out.
simas

Post by simas »

there is no such thing as "potential offer" - there either is an actual offer with title, start date, compensation,etc or there isn't

Proper response from her - sure, would love to hear from you when you are ready , enjoyed working with you in 2020, I am currently looking/interviewing now. All true. if they want to move->they move. if they are worried of potentially 'losing her' -> they can up the offer . If they care about neither -> then nothing happened.
jarjarM

Post by jarjarM »

You may burn the bridge with company one but if TC is 50% higher than it's probably worth it. Just word it properly in your response to company 1, they may come back with a counter so make sure you don't shut that door completely.
simas

Post by simas »

marathonfi wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:19 am Update:
So we accepted the offer in December but her visa paperwork had some delays, and we are few weeks late into her official start date. Her company actually wanted her to start early in January (we did too) but unfortunately she couldn't without the paperwork. It was also possible that the company might pull the offer at anytime because we don't know how long the delay will be on the gov side for employment document approval. Company B, the one we didn't hear back and had given up on when we accepted the offer, came back and invited her for virtual onsite interview earlier this month. To mitigate our risks, we went forward with it, and after few more rounds, she actually received an offer--one that we cannot refuse, with about 50% more in total compensation.

Her employment document situation will be resolved in a few weeks, so things are really improving. Now how do we move forward? How do we have this difficult conversation? We feel really bad about giving the bad news to the manager who's been patiently waiting. Even if she had started working (<3 months), I think we would change jobs if an opportunity like this comes up, so it probably is better than she hasn't started yet. We plan to tell the manager as soon as things are formalized with this new company, so that they can move on with another candidate.

Any suggestions on how to have this difficult conversation with her manager?
Blame immigration - things changed here and there, we had to change it , sorry this did not work out.
As manager, this is not uncommon and no hard feelings
Topic Author
marathonfi

Post by marathonfi »

HomeStretch wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:02 pm This isn’t going to be welcome news to the Company 1 manager but it happens. You need to do what’s right for you. Have the conversation by phone (not email) ASAP so the manager can start looking for another candidate. Keep it brief (let them know you are withdrawing your acceptance as your circumstances have changed) and thank them for the offer. Don’t over apologize or over explain. Even if asked for further explanation, I wouldn’t offer any details about taking another job with more pay. Most managers will be reluctant to probe a vague explanation like the one I suggested further as the circumstances might involve personal issues like health, etc.
Thanks for your input. We will do that ASAP and get it over with.
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

Most things have been addressed.

Until you have an actual offer, you are available.

Once you get an offer from company 1, arrange a reasonable amount of time to complete interviews and get offers everywhere you're engaged with, so you can make an informed decision. This may mean pushing company 1 and the others. If you think the offer is precarious, you can decline to push for more time, but reasonable employers will give you some flexibility.

Once you accept, no more looking. Interviewing when you have accepted an offer is doing so in bad faith. If you back out of an accepted offer, expect to be blacklisted.

For 50% more from a company you were already talking to? Hard to say not to take it when they reached out to you. Apologize, expect to be blacklisted, if you want it. Few probably wouldn't do it.