Evaluating possible jobs

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Thegame14

Evaluating possible jobs

Post by Thegame14 »

I got laid off in July, retained for 10 weeks to transition my job to CFO. Now I have finally gotten some traction in my job search, I am actively interviewing with 4 companies. They are all super different and trying to rank them. I highly prioritize work life balance, my kids are 5 and 21 months and hoping to have one more or if God blesses us, maybe 2 more. I have a side business managing Facebook ads, which is small, but it has the potential to scale up to potentially six figures. I am in the accounting field and my last position was Controller at a Non-profit firm

Job 1 State job - pay $100K-$110K. government job, state benefits, state pension, literally zero overtime 8:30-4:30, govt holidays, 15 sick days which you can roll over, 13 PTO days 2 floating holidays, and 2 other days off, forget what they called them. Seems like the obvious choice, but my headhunters tell me if I take this job, I will never be able to go back to the "private sector" again. So I will be forever waiting for my one boss to retire to get promoted, but as stable job as you can get, and would love to have a defined benefit pension plus my current 401K and I would still do a 403B as well. remote work for next 6 plus months then commute into a small city probably 45 minutes, not likely long term work from home

job 2 Non Profit pay likely $110K-$120K, good hours, but not zero overtime, but likely no weekends and no checking emails at night. CFO is a very nice lady who has been there for a year, company is far away but remote work for now, when the world gets better, it is 90 minute commute, but boss says remote work will be assumed likely 1-2 days in office.

Job 3 Pharma company, Pay $130K range, work from home for now, will be in office at some point when corona is over, but commute is 1 hour 15 minutes away, would likely try to get 2 days from home, but no assurance, they claim they have GREAT benefits since they are pharma, but they said ONLY 3 weeks vacation which is a joke to me, my last job was 6 weeks plus 5 days sick. and benefit they said we have them all, medical, dental, vision, 401K is 4% match on your 5% contribution but they claim that is great since it vests immediately, plus AD&D and life insurance, to me those are standard benefits and subpar vacation by a lot, I would think anything under 4 weeks is an insult to a Controller level person with 20 years experience. Online reviews are terrible they say long hours, lots of turnover and they say to ask about "mandatory saturdays", that has me worried there is never ever a reason to work a saturday unless it is year end close and should be EXTEREMLY limited, and compensated above and beyond....

Job 4 Asst Controller with a large HVAC company, dont know much about them, first phone screen is tomorrow.

I am ranking them in the order I prefer, but worried about job 1 being state job, love the stability and pension and no overtime, so I can build my side business and spend time with my young kids, but worry about being locked into a gov't job and if something happened, then what, but I guess you kinda have a job for life with the gov't. Job 2 again sounds great, but do I want to work for another Non-Profit, this could lead to same issues as job 1, where I am seen as only able to work for Non-Profits, and not the "private sector" Job 3 I hear hours are horrible, lots of turnover and I dont even want to talk about "Mandatory Saturdays". Job 4 not enough information.
geerhardusvos

Re: Evaluating possible jobs

Post by geerhardusvos »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:42 pm
Job 2 again sounds great, but do I want to work for another Non-Profit, this could lead to same issues as job 1, where I am seen as only able to work for Non-Profits, and not the "private sector" Job 3 I hear hours are horrible, lots of turnover and I dont even want to talk about "Mandatory Saturdays". Job 4 not enough information.
Sorry to hear about your situation. Stay positive, and nice job landing interviews.

Job two sounds like the winner except that it sounds like the company might not be stable? If your position in the company will be stable, go with job two. Don’t do something that is horrible hours, it’s not worth it. If you have this many interviews, wait until you get something that is a solid fit. Or except one of these jobs that might be acceptable in the interim while you keep looking.
VTSAX and chill
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

geerhardusvos wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:46 pm
Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:42 pm
Job 2 again sounds great, but do I want to work for another Non-Profit, this could lead to same issues as job 1, where I am seen as only able to work for Non-Profits, and not the "private sector" Job 3 I hear hours are horrible, lots of turnover and I dont even want to talk about "Mandatory Saturdays". Job 4 not enough information.
Sorry to hear about your situation. Stay positive, and nice job landing interviews.

Job two sounds like the winner except that it sounds like the company might not be stable? If your position in the company will be stable, go with job two. Don’t do something that is horrible hours, it’s not worth it. If you have this many interviews, wait until you get something that is a solid fit. Or except one of these jobs that might be acceptable in the interim while you keep looking.
Job two is an education company who has a year of cash in the bank, but their main product was impacted by covid, they have switched to an online product offering as well, this position and another below it were in a hiring freeze until now. So I am glad to hear about the large cash reserves, I have worked for too many companies that were startups or even large companies like Toys R Us who have gone bankrupt and have had a few layoffs on my resume, so stability is very impportant
tj

Post by tj »

I'd take the govt job. You might qualify for retiree health care, too, which is huge!
rob

Post by rob »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:42 pm I have a side business managing Facebook ads, which is small, but it has the potential to scale up to potentially six figures.
If this is true, then that would be my priority, so take whatever side job gives you the most time to work on this as the main job. A 6 figure non labor time based job far exceeds a labor based job.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Are these commutes round trip or one-way?

Among these options, I’d probably lean toward Job 1. Shorter commute (I wouldn’t even want to do 45 minutes one-way though) and guaranteed to be reasonable hours.

The extra time could be spent with your kids, on hobbies, and/or developing your side gig, which seems lucrative. How can I get into that? :)
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:42 pm Job 3 Pharma company....
...but they said ONLY 3 weeks vacation which is a joke to me, my last job was 6 weeks plus 5 days sick...
...I would think anything under 4 weeks is an insult to a Controller level person with 20 years experience.
I don't know anything about the corporate finance world, but I'm used to seeing corporations with 10-15 days of vacation (including sick days), with maybe up to 4 weeks with seniority. If under 4 weeks is an insult, than either a) Controller-level finance people get some seriously amazing time off, or b) you've been spoiled and maybe you wouldn't want a private sector job at a for-profit corporation as it might not be such a good fit for you
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I can’t relate to "ONLY three weeks vacation". You want a month and a half of vacation per year?

If you want a lot of benefits for not a lot of work, take the state job. Probably the best bet nowadays. Sure, advancement is limited, but eventually likely if you have any competence at all.

Plus, sounds like the least commute.

JT
neb2020

Post by neb2020 »

While I don't like govt jobs (been there, done that)... those non-govt jobs aint giving you much more than the govt job. So if you're ok with the govt job being your "deadend" career move, why not?
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

tashnewbie wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:23 pm Are these commutes round trip or one-way?

Among these options, I’d probably lean toward Job 1. Shorter commute (I wouldn’t even want to do 45 minutes one-way though) and guaranteed to be reasonable hours.

The extra time could be spent with your kids, on hobbies, and/or developing your side gig, which seems lucrative. How can I get into that? :)
yes one way, job 1 once commuting is 45 minutes, job 2 is 90 minutes, job 3 is 75 minutes and job 4 also 60-70 minutes, these are ONE WAY..... traffic in NNJ sucks my last job was 14 miles away and took 45 minutes each way..
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

bottlecap wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:42 pm I can’t relate to "ONLY three weeks vacation". You want a month and a half of vacation per year?

If you want a lot of benefits for not a lot of work, take the state job. Probably the best bet nowadays. Sure, advancement is limited, but eventually likely if you have any competence at all.

JT
I have been working in "private industry" for 20 years, the last time I had 3 weeks was 18 years ago at a top 20 fortune 500 company and my first year at Toys was 3 weeks, every other job was 4 weeks, PTO, and last job was 25 PTO days and 5 sick days, year 1 and 30PTO days and 5 sick days year 2 and can carry over up to 200% of yearly allowance. So basically in a 20 year career, have had 3 weeks vacation for 4 years, 4 weeks for 13 years, 6 weeks for 1 year, and 7 weeks last 2 1/2 years...

How can anyone have only 3 weeks off with kids in school, when they get off winter break, spring break, MLK day, presidents day, snow day, teacher convention, and all these random days that no employee gets off, so you HAVE to take vacation just to stay home with your kids.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:34 pm How can anyone have only 3 weeks off with kids in school, when they get off winter break, spring break, MLK day, presidents day, snow day, teacher convention, and all these random days that no employee gets off, so you HAVE to take vacation just to stay home with your kids.
Welcome to America?

https://www.thebalancecareers.com/how-m ... et-2064018
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:42 pm Job 1 State job - pay $100K-$110K. government job, state benefits, state pension, literally zero overtime 8:30-4:30, govt holidays, 15 sick days which you can roll over, 13 PTO days 2 floating holidays, and 2 other days off, forget what they called them. Seems like the obvious choice, but my headhunters tell me if I take this job, I will never be able to go back to the "private sector" again. So I will be forever waiting for my one boss to retire to get promoted, but as stable job as you can get, and would love to have a defined benefit pension plus my current 401K and I would still do a 403B as well. remote work for next 6 plus months then commute into a small city probably 45 minutes, not likely long term work from home
Based upon what you are saying, you want to prioritize work/life balance with your family and have time to work on your side gig (which might eventually be your main gig). Given your priorities, job #1 seems like the clear winner by a country mile. No contest:
1. No overtime
2. Generous time off and benefits (including a pension which is worth gold)
3. Shortest commute
4. Stable employer

It sounds like the only "concern" is based upon what your headhunters have told you. Do you trust them? This may be a cynical view, but headhunters might have a conflict of interests if steering you towards one of the other jobs gives them a higher commission.

Even if the headhunters are correct, it still might be the right move given your priorities. If you take one of the other positions, you might find yourself looking for another job in a few years as you struggle with work/life balance due to overtime, long commute, etc.

Jobs #2 and #3 don't even compensate you with a higher salary than Job #1. I could see considering the other jobs if the salary was so much better, but it isn't.

If you truly value work/life balance, you'll take Job #1 without hesitation.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Most pharma companies have some stock included in their compensation or an ESPP plan that can boost the compensation considerably. Something to investigate, but I wouldn't sign on for mandatory Saturdays or a 1.25 hour commute for an extra $10k. In fact, I would probably gracefully tell them that the compensation wasn't competitive for the hours that are expected when I declined the role.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

From the flavor of your OP, job #1 is the hands-down winner for you.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Two young kids with aspirations for two more: Government job.
IMO

Post by IMO »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:34 pm
bottlecap wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:42 pm I can’t relate to "ONLY three weeks vacation". You want a month and a half of vacation per year?

JT
I have been working in "private industry" for 20 years, the last time I had 3 weeks was 18 years ago at a top 20 fortune 500 company and my first year at Toys was 3 weeks, every other job was 4 weeks, PTO, and last job was 25 PTO days and 5 sick days, year 1 and 30PTO days and 5 sick days year 2 and can carry over up to 200% of yearly allowance. So basically in a 20 year career, have had 3 weeks vacation for 4 years, 4 weeks for 13 years, 6 weeks for 1 year, and 7 weeks last 2 1/2 years...

How can anyone have only 3 weeks off with kids in school, when they get off winter break, spring break, MLK day, presidents day, snow day, teacher convention, and all these random days that no employee gets off, so you HAVE to take vacation just to stay home with your kids.
Balancing time off with kid's schedule's is difficult period if both parents work. But you figure out how to make it work with daycare, finding day camps, weeklong stayover camps, finding babysitters, sending them off by themselves to stay with other family during breaks, etc. Spouses split the vacation time, one stays at work and the other takes the kid(s). It's of course worse for very young kids when they often get sick and cannot be at daycare.

What's really difficult is if your work will NOT allow you to take off the day (even if you have the PTO) even if your kid is sick. Ask me how I know how difficult that is . . . . and there is no such thing as work from home .... and you have no family anywhere near you to help out ..... and your essentially living as a single parent.

I've known people to hire Nanny's as a solution.

It is advisable to explore your child care options as they relate to one's new job, especially when long commutes are involved.
BlueCable

Post by BlueCable »

Gov't job, and grow the side business as your stepping stone back into private sector, if the gov't position really is an issue.

You never mentioned your long-term career goals. Will you be satisfied if you stay in this position the rest of your career? I discovered that as my family grew, less of my identity was associated with my work, and work with low job satisfaction bothered me much less than when I was childless.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

BlueCable wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:46 pm Gov't job, and grow the side business as your stepping stone back into private sector, if the gov't position really is an issue.

You never mentioned your long-term career goals. Will you be satisfied if you stay in this position the rest of your career? I discovered that as my family grew, less of my identity was associated with my work, and work with low job satisfaction bothered me much less than when I was childless.
I agree 100% I place ZERO identity on a job, a job should be a nothing, just a place I go to to earn a living, it isnt status, I dont care about title, all that matters is spending the absolute minimum time at work, so I can spend the most time with my kids and growing my first side business so I can eventually grow my second side business and maybe eventually a third side business if I get there.... First side business facebook advertising, second side business bookkeeping remotely, third maybe CFP and do financial planning.
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:34 pm

JT

Your best fit is definately the state job - none of the others come close.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

Job #1 seems like it would allow the stability and flexibility you're seeking. Your side business, if it grows, could be your way back into the private sector if you want it, and the regular, stable schedule with young kids seems to be me to be very valuable. The other jobs would have to pay more to make the tradeoff worth it.
tj

Post by tj »

Thegame14 wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:02 pm
BlueCable wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:46 pm Gov't job, and grow the side business as your stepping stone back into private sector, if the gov't position really is an issue.

I agree 100% I place ZERO identity on a job, a job should be a nothing, just a place I go to to earn a living, it isnt status, I dont care about title, all that matters is spending the absolute minimum time at work, so I can spend the most time with my kids and growing my first side business so I can eventually grow my second side business and maybe eventually a third side business if I get there.... First side business facebook advertising, second side business bookkeeping remotely, third maybe CFP and do financial planning.
It seems like there's a glut of people in the FB advertising space. How do you stand out?
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

tj wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:02 pm

It seems like there's a glut of people in the FB advertising space. How do you stand out?
Most people just run ads, I do an operational audit, I coach on lead follow up, I coach on social media engagement and I help them start their customer list building, so I hope those things help set me apart from someone who will just run an ad and send you leads...
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Thegame14 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:34 pm How can anyone have only 3 weeks off with kids in school, when they get off winter break, spring break, MLK day, presidents day, snow day, teacher convention, and all these random days that no employee gets off, so you HAVE to take vacation just to stay home with your kids.
After the oldest kid hits 12 or so, depending on state law, you can leave the kids home alone.
vinhodoporto

Post by vinhodoporto »

I would not put too much effort in to ranking them until you have actual offers to decide between but that’s just me.

A few other things to consider:
Is moving closer to work an option if you take one of the farther away jobs? Seems like this could neutralize commute as a differentiator but understand there may be other factors at play.

What Is the long to medium term trajectory in each of the roles? It sounds like in role 1 it will be a long time before you have the opportunity for promotion and since it’s government the raise will probably be small. Does role 2, 3, or 4 put you in a situation where you could be earning a lot more in a few years either through promotion or through gaining skills/experience that will make you more valuable in the market?

What is the $ value of the pension and the job security with job 1? Also, are the benefits better / cheaper? If you do that math job 1 may be the best option financially, even excluding the extra time it gives you to scale up your side hustle.

Is the culture at any of these roles going to be an issue? Sounds like there are concerns with job 3. If you’ve never worked in government before I’d make sure you get a good read on the culture at job 1. Some things to think about from my experience with gov:
- Are you comfortable in an environment that values following the process precisely more than getting results?
- Are you comfortable in an environment where people leave because it’s a certain time even if the work isn’t done?
- Are you comfortable in an environment that values seniority more than competence?
- Are you comfortable in an environment where some people are deadweight or toxic but it’s easier to try to ignore them than to get rid of them?
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Your vacation/sick set-up seems similar to mine. I am in CT, not sure where you are.

State bennies are 'ok-to-decent'. You didn't mention where or I missed it. If in CT feel free to private message me.

You do get a scarlet letter of sorts once you work for the state government. (atleast that's what I feel and hear).

I have young kids as well and didn't take a 40% pay increase job recently because... work-life balance. That was a priority for me.

As you mention, you might get stuck working within the town/state/government. That being said, that does not mean it has to be the same job with the same agency/department. So yes, your pay might not grow much - but that doesn't mean you can't do different jobs within the town/state/gov.

You didn't mention your age. It's a different discussion if you're 28 with kiddos or 45 with kiddos.

Job stability - depending on the state/town ofcourse - should be good.

Edit:
You mention you worked in corporate for 20 years - so you're not a spring chicken anymore.
Take the government job. Ageism exists and in 10? 10-ish? years you're gonna be glad you did.

Check if you get retiree healthcare like someone mentioned.

If my portfolio is big enough to sustain our spending, I can go at 58 with 50% of pension but full normal state employee healthcare at a really low cost. Retiree healthcare is where it's at :)
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

To be blunt, why are you even posting this question? Given your priorities, job #1 is clearly the best fit for you. It is not even close!!

I am genuinely curious why you even have the smallest of doubts.
GreendaleCC

Post by GreendaleCC »

humblecoder wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:11 am

To be blunt, why are you even posting this question? Given your priorities, job #1 is clearly the best fit for you. It is not even close!!

When I read “all that matters is spending the absolute minimum time at work,” I wondered the same thing.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

well first there is no guarantee that I am offered that job, I am interviewing for all four, so that is first. Second I am worried that if something happens to the govt job my head hunter says basically I am unemployable in the "private industry", which is like 90% of the job market, so that is a big concern.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

Took only a cursory read. Given young kids and predictable hours + shortest commute I'd go for boring government job. My 2 cents.
tj

Post by tj »

Thegame14 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:05 am

well first there is no guarantee that I am offered that job, I am interviewing for all four, so that is first. Second I am worried that if something happens to the govt job my head hunter says basically I am unemployable in the "private industry", which is like 90% of the job market, so that is a big concern.
That makes no sense. You aren't being offered a politician job.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

tj wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:25 pm

I am just telling you what he said. There is a perception that since Govt employees dont work overtime that they will continue to expect no overtime when they take a new job even if the new job is in "private Industry" most people view govt employees as lazy and not productive since they dont have deadlines, they just work hours, they dont work on deadlines.
tj

Post by tj »

Thegame14 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:47 pm

I am just telling you what he said. There is a perception that since Govt employees dont work overtime that they will continue to expect no overtime when they take a new job even if the new job is in "private Industry" most people view govt employees as lazy and not productive since they dont have deadlines, they just work hours, they dont work on deadlines.
That seems odd. Overtime is certainly required for some government employees. It depends what the job is.

Furthermore, my government job only has deadlines. If I don't complete my work in the expected time frame, my manager will start asking questions.

Government jobs (or really, any unionized job) makes it a lot harder for a slacker to get fired, that doesn't mean that government work does not have expectations about the work that is completed.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

tj wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:00 pm

That seems odd. Overtime is certainly required for some government employees. It depends what the job is.

Furthermore, my government job only has deadlines. If I don't complete my work in the expected time frame, my manager will start asking questions.

Government jobs (or really, any unionized job) makes it a lot harder for a slacker to get fired, that doesn't mean that government work does not have expectations about the work that is completed.
This job I was told hours are standard state hours of 8:30-4:30, they said overtime is literally not allowed. Both my parents worked for the state and had the same thing. whatever wasnt done at 4:30 would just get done the next day.
tj

Post by tj »

Thegame14 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:15 pm

This job I was told hours are standard state hours of 8:30-4:30, they said overtime is literally not allowed. Both my parents worked for the state and had the same thing. whatever wasnt done at 4:30 would just get done the next day.

It's interesting that you wouldn't have a 30 minute lunch break. Predictable consistent hours sounds perfect for someone trying to build 3 businesses. :confused
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

tj wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:20 pm

It's interesting that you wouldn't have a 30 minute lunch break. Predictable consistent hours sounds perfect for someone trying to build 3 businesses. :confused
what do you mean, you get an hour lunch break, it is a 35 hour work week.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

Job #1 & enjoy your side hustle.
Can you talk to people in your profession to see what they say about the possibility of returning to private sector work if you decide to?
From your other comments, it sounds like the "no possibility of future private sector work" is bothering you more as a "possible worlds" limitation than as something that would actually cause you distress in real life.
There's a lot of variety in the other jobs you're looking at, and who knows what the future will bring? Seems implausible that a gov't job would ever disqualify you for all exciting private sector jobs. (Although I certainly would believe that headhunters want everyone to stay in the private sector, network and job hop--they are not making money off people who take up gov't jobs and enjoy them.)
tj

Post by tj »

Thegame14 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:42 pm
tj wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:20 pm

what do you mean, you get an hour lunch break, it is a 35 hour work week.
Even better! How is this even a question? I guarantee none of those other jobs have 35 hour work weeks.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

Consider that the head hunter might have a vested interest in steering you away from the government job. I am not in your field, but I have never heard of any such stigma against government employees. I live in the Baltimore/DC area where the government is a big employer, so if it was the case that private industry wouldn't hire a former government employee, they wouldn't have anybody to hire!
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

humblecoder wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:54 pm

Consider that the head hunter might have a vested interest in steering you away from the government job. I am not in your field, but I have never heard of any such stigma against government employees. I live in the Baltimore/DC area where the government is a big employer, so if it was the case that private industry wouldn't hire a former government employee, they wouldn't have anybody to hire!
Maybe there is a difference in a Gov't job vs a State job, but I am not sure. When I say a gov't job I mean a job working for the state of NJ. I had a second round interview with the Non-Profit or Job #2, they are saying they may stay work from home forever, and they have a 12% dollar for dollar 403 B match and supposedly great work life balance and benefits, but didn't give me details of the benefits so they are moving the fastest, but told me that if hired I wouldnt start until Jan 2021 since they are closed after Xmas, so they said they might make an offer in a week or so but start date in January. I have first interview with the state job next week, not sure how fast they will move.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I too am not in your line of work, but you did ask here for opinions. In my view, clearly Job #1 is your best fit. When you stated that your #1 goal was to spend as little time at work as possible you are setting yourself up not to succeed in #2 and #3.

Your best bet is to understand your own priorities, and act accordingly.
joetro29

Post by joetro29 »

Doubt your option 1 will really just be 40 hours. My state govt job isn’t. Most salaried jobs aren’t either. I do love my benefits tho.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

joetro29 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 2:58 pm Doubt your option 1 will really just be 40 hours. My state govt job isn’t. Most salaried jobs aren’t either. I do love my benefits tho.
Where is the doubt, they already told me hours are M-F 8:30-4:30 with 1 hour lunch and absolutely ZERO overtime is allowed, they LITERALLY kick you out at 4:30
joetro29

Post by joetro29 »

When you can’t get all the work done in that time you’ll take some home.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

random_walker_77 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:30 pm
...but they said ONLY 3 weeks vacation which is a joke to me, my last job was 6 weeks plus 5 days sick...
...I would think anything under 4 weeks is an insult to a Controller level person with 20 years experience.
I don't know anything about the corporate finance world, but I'm used to seeing corporations with 10-15 days of vacation (including sick days), with maybe up to 4 weeks with seniority. If under 4 weeks is an insult, than either a) Controller-level finance people get some seriously amazing time off, or b) you've been spoiled and maybe you wouldn't want a private sector job at a for-profit corporation as it might not be such a good fit for you
6 weeks of vacation time is way above market — at least in private sector. I’m not even sure my company has 6 weeks in its vacation band. If so, you’d probably need over 30 years with the company to qualify.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Government job in finance sounds horribly borrowing. At least in private sector in a good role you’d be a partner in growing the business and facilitating making strategic decisions.
Topic Author
Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 »

Firemenot wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 pm
6 weeks of vacation time is way above market — at least in private sector. I’m not even sure my company has 6 weeks in its vacation band. If so, you’d probably need over 30 years with the company to qualify.
My last job was 25 vacation days year 1 and 5 sick days, then 30 vacation days year 2 and 5 sick days..... so that was 7 weeks time off....
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Find a new recruiter - it's garbage. People transition from private to government and vice versa all the time. If you can land Job 1 take it. Now, consider this, unless this recruiter is doing the headhunting for Job 1, losing you as a potential recruit will cost the recruiter because if he doesn't place you, he doesn't get paid. Also, recruiters once having placed you, may try to recruit you again for other positions at other firms in say 1-2 years, essentially flipping you to have them earn another commission.

My advice, is to put these negative thoughts out of your head. You don't want any negativity shining through at any of your interviews. Focus on landing the job first, when you have the offers in hand, then you can weigh the pros/cons. Right now, Job #1 offers you the best mix of tangibles and intangibles that I'm just not seeing in any of the other 3 opportunities. Certainly interview for all 4, but really try to land Job #1. As another poster said, there is something to be said for ageism, it's alive and well in the private sector, this will matter in less than 10 years for you. If your side business takes off, you might earn enough to pull the plug in 20 years completely.

Good Luck!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Thegame14 wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:54 pm
Firemenot wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:54 pm
My last job was 25 vacation days year 1 and 5 sick days, then 30 vacation days year 2 and 5 sick days..... so that was 7 weeks time off....
99 percent of employers in for profit private sector won’t care and will just put you on their much less generous schedule.
Firemenot

Post by Firemenot »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:12 am

Find a new recruiter - it's garbage. People transition from private to government and vice versa all the time. If you can land Job 1 take it. Now, consider this, unless this recruiter is doing the headhunting for Job 1, losing you as a potential recruit will cost the recruiter because if he doesn't place you, he doesn't get paid. Also, recruiters once having placed you, may try to recruit you again for other positions at other firms in say 1-2 years, essentially flipping you to have them earn another commission.

My advice, is to put these negative thoughts out of your head. You don't want any negativity shining through at any of your interviews. Focus on landing the job first, when you have the offers in hand, then you can weigh the pros/cons. Right now, Job #1 offers you the best mix of tangibles and intangibles that I'm just not seeing in any of the other 3 opportunities. Certainly interview for all 4, but really try to land Job #1. As another poster said, there is something to be said for ageism, it's alive and well in the private sector, this will matter in less than 10 years for you. If your side business takes off, you might earn enough to pull the plug in 20 years completely.

Good Luck!
I’m not sure it’s “garbage”. I know tons of people at my Fortune 100ish company I can’t think of even one that has a government job in their bio. Not sure what that says though.

That said, I don’t think a shortish stint would be toxic. One could always say government work wasn’t a good fit for them.