Credit freeze and free credit report

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
BroIceCream

Credit freeze and free credit report

Post by BroIceCream »

Earlier this summer, my wife and I placed a freeze on our credit, with the three reporting agencies.
We typically obtain an online free report each year from the three (spread evenly through the year).

However, since placing the freeze, we each attempted a free credit report online from Experian (one for each of us), we were unable to obtain it online. We need to submit a request by mail for the free report. Which was subsequently sent by return USmail.

Is this common with a Credit freeze? From Experian?
HueyLD

Re: Credit freeze and free credit report

Post by HueyLD »

Such a problem is common with or without credit freeze.

I think the big three CBs prefer not to provide such a money losing service.
cas

Post by cas »

HueyLD wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:12 am Such a problem is common with or without credit freeze.
Yes. And not just Experian. The typical symptom that this is going to happen is that they ask you a bunch of security questions that are irrelevant to your situation, so that you have to answer "None of the Above" to all the questions. If you type "credit report none of the above" into the search box at the top of this page, you'll get a bunch of threads discussing the problem.

By the way, they are usually lying when they pop up that page that says that you have to mail them a bunch of personal information before they will send you your credit report.

I've always been able to get the credit report via snail mail *without* sending them the personal information by using the phone method listed on annualcreditreport.com . They'll mail it to the snail mail address they have on file for you, though, so make sure you haven't moved recently or anything.

*How I got page that lists the phone number (which I think is even more hidden than the last time I looked):
Go to the official www.annualcreditreport.com site
Click on "All About Credit Reports" on the top menu bar
Click on "Getting Your Credit Reports" on the left menu bar
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

It's never happened to me before. My CR's have been frozen for a number of years and I download one free report from each CRA each year.

Did you use this site to access your free CR?

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

It has nothing to do with the freeze. More than likely there was some oddball security question you both got wrong.
I always need to open up an old credit report to pass the test - can't remember which year I got which credit card, etc. Toughest question for me was "Did you ever work for one of the following companies:" I never worked for any of the choices but one of the choices, CompanyX, aquired a company I had worked for shortly after I left so I guessed correctly that's the one they somehow had me connected to. If I had chosen "None of the Above" I am guessing I would have been denied.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

cas wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:10 am I've always been able to get the credit report via snail mail *without* sending them the personal information by using the phone method listed on annualcreditreport.com . They'll mail it to the snail mail address they have on file for you, though, so make sure you haven't moved recently or anything.
And note that one thing which can make it hard to get the report is that the address on file could be wrong. I once saw on a report that the bureau thought an old address had become my current address. The bank which issued a closed credit card had re-reported the account, and since I closed the account before moving, it reported the old address. My other creditors were still reporting the correct address.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
BroIceCream

Post by BroIceCream »

MikeG62 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:12 am ...Did you use this site to access your free CR?
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action
Thanks to all for your comments. I have been using the annualcreditreport.com site for years, with never a problem in obtaining the online/download version... just the last two times (coincidentally, both Experian, and within 2 months of the 'freeze'). We'll see in 4 months when it is time for my checkin with one of the other two agencies.

Some of their questions are easy, others harder to decode -- but easy with the previous years report in hand.
Thank you again for your prompt responses.
testing321

Post by testing321 »

I always have a problem with one or two CRAs using the annualcreditreport website. So I download the pdf form at annualcreditreport.com, fill it out and mail it in, which never fails. They mail the reports to me and I receive them within two weeks.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Use this form to get your credit reports from the three companies:

https://www.annualcreditreport.com/manu ... orm.action

I mailed for mine at the beginning of November and have received all three.
Best Wishes, | Joe
kaneohe

Post by kaneohe »

I would recommend calling the toll free number for annualcreditreport.com and entering your application there.......so need to snail-mailing a form w/ your SSN on it. Only had one experience where it apparently was delayed longer than normal, so had to call the Credit Bureau to send report out and subsequently got 2 reports.
In all other cases, delivery has been fast....less than 2 wks and w/o issues.