Did I get scammed?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
kevin99

Did I get scammed?

Post by kevin99 »

I have been submitting a bunch of refinance applications online and been getting a lot of calls and texts from these companies. I also get constant spam/scam/fraud calls that I mostly don't answer or when I do pick up are obvious scams.

I got a call today and happened to pick up. The person claimed to be from loandepot (one of the sites I had started an application on) and said they needed some more information to complete the process and assign a loan officer to me. They had my name, and said that they didn't have my home address, which I then gave them. They then mentioned an estimate of how much I owed on my current mortgage (which was correct, but I do owe a very round number which could have easily been guessed). They then asked what I thought my current home was worth, which I provided to them. At this point they said they would connect me to a loan officer and put me on hold. They came back after 30 seconds and said that all the loan officers were on other calls and if they could call me back. I said I would prefer an email (I didn't provide them my email address during this call). They said that would be fine and ended the call.

I am usually suspicious of anyone calling asking for information but I must have been tired and off my guard. Did I get scammed for some kind of identity theft, rental fraud, loan fraud...etc? What can be done with the information I gave them and should I take any actions to protect my credit or bank and investment accounts (I already use a password manager and two factor auth apps for all my accounts).
software

Re: Did I get scammed?

Post by software »

What information did you give them? If it was just an address verification and an estimated property value, that information is easy to lookup and isn’t really of value to a scammer.

If you gave out additional information besides what you mentioned it could be a different story.
Topic Author
kevin99

Post by kevin99 »

Thanks for the reply. The only information I gave was my address and estimated home value.

I did call back the phone number they called from just out of curiosity and I got a message that the number is disconnected. . A quick google search also showed that a lot of others have been getting robocalls from this number.

I hope this was just some scammer collecting information to sell in bulk and not someone targeting my home or family directly for some kind of fraud.
dlrkw9mu

Post by dlrkw9mu »

This actually sounds a lot like how loan depot operates. I dealt with them back in September and they would call, speak to me briefly, and then put me on hold while they connect me to a loan officer. They did this a couple times and I hung up after several minutes of waiting to speak to an officer
neverpanic

Post by neverpanic »

dlrkw9mu wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:38 pm This actually sounds a lot like how loan depot operates. I dealt with them back in September and they would call, speak to me briefly, and then put me on hold while they connect me to a loan officer. They did this a couple times and I hung up after several minutes of waiting to speak to an officer
Their main scam is getting people to sign up for "build your credit" signature loans at 150% interest.
I am not a financial professional or guru. I'm a schmuck who got lucky 10 times. Such is the life of the trader.
Topic Author
kevin99

Post by kevin99 »

Ah ok, that's good to know.
presto987

Post by presto987 »

I am doing a refi with LoanDepot and agree that this is typical of how they operate.

I got a call from them when I was close to my closing date. They asked for my birthdate or last 4 of my SS just so they could tell me that I was assigned to a loan processor and that my file was almost complete. I was thinking: why are you asking for personal info when YOU are calling ME? And when I have no way of verifying who you are?

The call was pretty silly in the first place since I had already been in regular touch with my processor. Then the next day someone else calls with exactly the same thing!

I was able to confirm that they recognized my Loan Processor’s name, so don’t think these were scammers. But it sure sounded like it!
yules

Post by yules »

kevin99 wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:33 pm I have been submitting a bunch of refinance applications online and been getting a lot of calls and texts from these companies. I also get constant spam/scam/fraud calls that I mostly don't answer or when I do pick up are obvious scams.

I got a call today and happened to pick up. The person claimed to be from loandepot (one of the sites I had started an application on) and said they needed some more information to complete the process and assign a loan officer to me. They had my name, and said that they didn't have my home address, which I then gave them. They then mentioned an estimate of how much I owed on my current mortgage (which was correct, but I do owe a very round number which could have easily been guessed). They then asked what I thought my current home was worth, which I provided to them. At this point they said they would connect me to a loan officer and put me on hold. They came back after 30 seconds and said that all the loan officers were on other calls and if they could call me back. I said I would prefer an email (I didn't provide them my email address during this call). They said that would be fine and ended the call.

I am usually suspicious of anyone calling asking for information but I must have been tired and off my guard. Did I get scammed for some kind of identity theft, rental fraud, loan fraud...etc? What can be done with the information I gave them and should I take any actions to protect my credit or bank and investment accounts (I already use a password manager and two factor auth apps for all my accounts).
Any update? Did they call you back or email you?

Yules
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

I got a similar call from Loan Depot after I'd filled out an application a few weeks earlier.

Was offered a great deal. Currently in process with the refi. Not a scam.

FWIW, I got a similar call from Better after I had already locked with Loan Depot.