What % of your Net Worth is Home Equity? What % is total value of RE relative to net worth?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
ponyboy

Re: What % of your Net Worth is Home Equity? What % is total value of RE relative to net worth?

Post by ponyboy »

We dont factor our home in our net worth. Never have, never will.
fizxman

Re: What % of your Net Worth is Home Equity? What % is total value of RE relative to net worth?

Post by fizxman »

About 8% and 23% respectively. I don't include equity or home value in my net worth so if I did those percentages would be a little less.
willyd123

Post by willyd123 »

1. 11.8%

2. 11.8%
LITeacher

Post by LITeacher »

ponyboy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:35 am We dont factor our home in our net worth. Never have, never will.
Just curious as to why you don't calculate it in your net worth? I know that you're not the only one to do that, but even though a house may be more illiquid than a retirement account or a taxable account, if you and a renter had the same assets (except you owned a $500k home) surely your net worths would not be equivalent?

It's something I've been thinking about lately because my wife and I decided to put $400K down on a house that we bought. By your calculations, our net worth would be higher had we only put 20% down but taken on more debt as long as our bank account was higher?
London

Post by London »

LITeacher wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:10 am
ponyboy wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:35 am We dont factor our home in our net worth. Never have, never will.
Just curious as to why you don't calculate it in your net worth? I know that you're not the only one to do that, but even though a house may be more illiquid than a retirement account or a taxable account, if you and a renter had the same assets (except you owned a $500k home) surely your net worths would not be equivalent?

It's something I've been thinking about lately because my wife and I decided to put $400K down on a house that we bought. By your calculations, our net worth would be higher had we only put 20% down but taken on more debt as long as our bank account was higher?
For whatever reason, this is a majorly contentious topic on BH. There’s a large group of people that don’t include their home in net worth. From a definition standpoint, this is illogical to me. But it’s turned into a virtue signaling thing around here. There will never be agreement on this topic and there are probably hundreds of posts on both sides of the issue.

The key to not including your home in net worth is to state that loudly in any topic where you can shoehorn it in.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

1. 15% maybe. Depends.
2. Outside R/E holdings are a "business" so not included in anything.

There are a lot of preferred and "CPA by the book" calculations of "net worth" when it is needed for various purposes.

Actionably: How is the relationship between "Home Equity" and "Net Worth" related to Investment Finance strategy and planning and/or retirement planning?

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

1) 5%
2) 10%

I include it because home equity is an asset. But whatever.

It's pretty small for us, which I think means we live in a home well below our means.
ruhigste

Post by ruhigste »

1) 11.9 %

2) 11.9 %
ruhigste

Post by ruhigste »

ruhigste wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:09 am 1) 11.9 %

2) 11.9 %
2) Should be 0 %. Misunderstood
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

Non revenue producing assets:
Home (summer) - 8%
Home (winter) - 7%

Revenue producing assets:
Commercial real estate - 25%
Bonds, CDs, cash - 25%
Stocks - 35%
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

For those who rent, does the outgoing cash flow decrease net worth every month to a greater extent than those with a mortgage in which technically equity goes up. That being said the value of the home is potentially variable day to day, month to month and year to year.
Candor

Post by Candor »

London wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:17 am

For whatever reason, this is a majorly contentious topic on BH. There’s a large group of people that don’t include their home in net worth. From a definition standpoint, this is illogical to me. But it’s turned into a virtue signaling thing around here. There will never be agreement on this topic and there are probably hundreds of posts on both sides of the issue.

The key to not including your home in net worth is to state that loudly in any topic where you can shoehorn it in.
So true.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
Candor

Post by Candor »

22% for both.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
marti038

Post by marti038 »

Equity = 16.8% of net worth

Home Value = 34.6% of net worth

We own about 50% of our house and are in no hurry to pay down our 3% mortgage.
“Having, first, gained all you can, and, secondly saved all you can, then give all you can.” - John Wesley
Bud

Post by Bud »

Home - 19%

RE - 38%
bampf

Post by bampf »

Perhaps a another question is "What should your home equity be in terms of NW". Is 50% too much? 33%? 20%?

It certainly depends on portfolio as well. Interested in that question.
Nescio
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

bampf wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:18 am Perhaps a another question is "What should your home equity be in terms of NW". Is 50% too much? 33%? 20%?

It certainly depends on portfolio as well. Interested in that question.
Mine's around 30% but some of this is out of my control, as my house would fluctuate in value. I think 50% is too high though, it means half of your NW is into HE which you can't really touch unless you do HELOC and all that jazz.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

1) 40% (it is a 2 unit building so both our primary and a rental)
2) 105%

We plan to buy another multi-unit as a new primary in the next year and keep our current 2-unit as 2 rental units, so #2 will likely be closer to 200% then.
chipperd

Post by chipperd »

home equity=21% of NW
home value=41% of NW
"A portfolio is like a bar of soap, the more it's handled, the less there is." Dr. William Bernstein
saveinvestbecomefree

Post by saveinvestbecomefree »

1. ~6%. Paid off home in LCOL area. Retirement plan including moving to a more expensive area so ~15% (max) expected in the next few years.
2. ~8% (minimal REIT investments).

We don't consider our primary residence as an investment than can provide us money for spending so we don't include it in our net worth/portfolio.
sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 »

about 20% of my net worth is in my home equity
I probably have some realestate in my index funds so ~23% or so total realestate.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Ron Ronnerson wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:25 pm 1) 44%
2) 73%
You sure can tell who owns a CA here. :P My NH home is a drop in the bucket compared to the what redfin thinks my CA home is worth.

1) 5%
2) 55%
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

mmmodem wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:18 am
Ron Ronnerson wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:25 pm 1) 44%
2) 73%
You sure can tell who owns a CA here. :P My NH home is a drop in the bucket compared to the what redfin thinks my CA home is worth.

1) 5%
2) 55%
I know what you mean! I'd never before calculated the value of owned real estate as a percent of net worth. My numbers looked sort of strange after comparing them to what a lot of others posted here. There's nothing I can do about the fact that my Bay Area home keeps appreciating. I guess there are worse problems to have.
luminous

Post by luminous »

Xrayman69 wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:38 am For those who rent, does the outgoing cash flow decrease net worth every month to a greater extent than those with a mortgage in which technically equity goes up. That being said the value of the home is potentially variable day to day, month to month and year to year.
I'm a renter. I've been renting for a long time and am lucky enough to have a nice rent controlled apartment which meets my family's needs. I pay less in rent than the mortgage would be for a comparable condo or home, and I'm disciplined about investing the difference. Even after a home is paid off there is property taxes and maintenance, which would be nearly the cost of my rent!

I hope to downshift and semi-retire soon, so for me the tie-breaker between buying and renting was liquidity: I can sell stocks that have appreciated, but I can't easily use the equity in a home to buy groceries.
67/12/21 US stock/international stock/bonds. Bonds capped at 10x annual spending. Semi-retired as of 2022.
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

The ratio of my home value to my portfolio value is about 0.04 or 4%. I'm guessing at the tiny value of my home.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
kbjeffrey

Post by kbjeffrey »

40% for home. (no other real estate)
vanpan

Post by vanpan »

primary home 25% - fully paid
All real estate 40% - fully paid
Vogatrice

Post by Vogatrice »

Once I finish my "lavish" house renos in January, I'll be at 10% for both numbers. (Quotes indicate sarcasm - the renos are not particularly lavish, but are cosmetic and not strictly necessary. Setting us up for a comfortable retirement, then I'm done with fancy house stuff.) And I don't intend to ever own two houses at the same time.
parisinthespring

Post by parisinthespring »

1. 41.2% equity in home, or rather 35.3% after netting out costs of a future sale (agents' fees, CGT). I still carry a mortgage and will do so until I retire/sell in about 3 years if all goes according to plan.
2. 50.0%. Live in a VHCOL area.

Plan is to sell the home and retire in about 3 years; will use about a third of the net proceeds to purchase a home in the retirement location (no mortgage) and use the other third to add to the portfolio. Assuming this works out, the %ages for 1. and 2. should then be about 21.5%.
NerdicSkier

Post by NerdicSkier »

1. 15%
2. 40%

These values are based on a conservative estimate of home value, too, having enjoyed appreciation since we bought 5 years ago.

I'm not comfortable being this real-estate heavy and it was a stretch for us to buy this house when we did, but we are over the hump of raising a family and wanted to enjoy a lifestyle while the kids were at home. It was part of the plan to downsize in a few years, but now that looks less likely due to the real estate market in our area.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

IMO, people like to include their home to pad their number. Lets look at it a different way. Would you rather have $1million in cash, or a home that is worth $1million?

You probably heard the term house poor...people who buy too much house and they are teetering on financial ruin if they lose a job, if a major repair is needed, etc.

I dont view someone who has $0 in savings/retirement/investments but has a house worth $1million the same as someone who has $1million in cash and a house worth whatever, or no house for that matter. My BIL/sister are in the category. He constantly talks about equity in his home, but is in debt up to his eyeballs.

For me personally, my house is a money pit. Between property taxes, school taxes, utilities, insurance, upkeep...at a minimum, it costs us $10,000/year to keep/maintain our house. Almost all that comes from taxes/insurance...not a lot of upkeep. If I had money in a fund that lost $10k each and every year right off the bat, I wouldnt have that fund anymore.

The bottom line is, if you include your home, it makes your numbers look better, theres no way around it. We owe $90k on our house, and we could sell it pretty easily for $400k. Why would I pretend that I magically have an extra $310k? (disregarding capital gains) Its silly talk.

I guess on the bright side...we're much more wealthy than what I calculate according to a lot of people. But like others said, from a definition standpoint, you should include all assets in net worth. I just dont agree with it and it gives a false sense of security.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

ponyboy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:35 am

IMO, people like to include their home to pad their number. Lets look at it a different way. Would you rather have $1million in cash, or a home that is worth $1million?

You probably heard the term house poor...people who buy too much house and they are teetering on financial ruin if they lose a job, if a major repair is needed, etc.

I dont view someone who has $0 in savings/retirement/investments but has a house worth $1million the same as someone who has $1million in cash and a house worth whatever, or no house for that matter. My BIL/sister are in the category. He constantly talks about equity in his home, but is in debt up to his eyeballs.

For me personally, my house is a money pit. Between property taxes, school taxes, utilities, insurance, upkeep...at a minimum, it costs us $10,000/year to keep/maintain our house. Almost all that comes from taxes/insurance...not a lot of upkeep. If I had money in a fund that lost $10k each and every year right off the bat, I wouldnt have that fund anymore.

The bottom line is, if you include your home, it makes your numbers look better, theres no way around it. We owe $90k on our house, and we could sell it pretty easily for $400k. Why would I pretend that I magically have an extra $310k? (disregarding capital gains) Its silly talk.

I guess on the bright side...we're much more wealthy than what I calculate according to a lot of people. But like others said, from a definition standpoint, you should include all assets in net worth. I just dont agree with it and it gives a false sense of security.
Interestimg take on home equity. Ignoring fees, I'd say $1m cash and $1m home are equivalent. Either will be fine by me. I can trade in the home for $1m cash or I can buy a $1m. They're the same thing to me.

I call $10k a year for tax and maintenance, cheap rent. If I owned a fund that provided me a place to live and went down $10k every year, I'd have no issue owning it.

I don't consider including my home equity magically making my numbers better. I include it to have an accurate count on my net worth. Home prices can go down too just like my investments. Including my homes offers me no extra sense security. In fact, including my rental adds anxiety as it puts larger percentage of net worth in real estate.

I understand, we disagree. It's curiously interesting to see a different point of view. :wink:
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

LFKB wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:50 am Curious to see what the breakdown is...

1. What % of your net worth is in home equity (including vacation or rental properties to the extent you have them)?
Example: if you have $100k equity in your home and $1M net worth then 10%

2. How much is the total value of your owned real estate as a % of your net worth?
Example: if you own a $500k house and have a $1M net worth then 50%

1. ~5% Paid for house

2. ~10% House + ~70 acres of paid for timber/farmland

Estimates based on property tax valuation.

I live in a VLCOL area.
davemanjam

Post by davemanjam »

By definition the equity in your home counts towards net worth.
You can have some other metric that you define a different way, but its not "net worth".

I guess facts and definitions don't matter anymore in 2020 though.
London

Post by London »

ponyboy wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:35 am

You bemoan your BIL being up to his eyeballs in debt yet to maximize your “net worth” metric, you should finance a house at 100%.

A house is an asset that can be converted to cash. It’s not about looking better, it’s just a finance term.
beandeveloper

Post by beandeveloper »

1. 14%

2. 14%

BTW - I'm finding the sub-discussion re including home value in NW calculation very interesting. While I joined this site a number of years ago I've decided to re-engage here.

My view: Net worth is net worth. The term itself doesn't discriminate or put a qualifier on degree of liquidity or type of worth or anything like that. So if one is to be precise in calculating Net Worth I think it would be incorrect to NOT include home value. If one fell over and died the house is as much a part of what defines the estate as a brokerage account with $X in it.

Now, if we want to have discussions about Liquid Net Worth, or Investable Assets, or something like that.......that's a different kettle of fish.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

beandeveloper wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:45 am 1. 14%

2. 14%

BTW - I'm finding the sub-discussion re including home value in NW calculation very interesting. While I joined this site a number of years ago I've decided to re-engage here.

My view: Net worth is net worth. The term itself doesn't discriminate or put a qualifier on degree of liquidity or type of worth or anything like that. So if one is to be precise in calculating Net Worth I think it would be incorrect to NOT include home value. If one fell over and died the house is as much a part of what defines the estate as a brokerage account with $X in it.

Now, if we want to have discussions about Liquid Net Worth, or Investable Assets, or something like that.......that's a different kettle of fish.
Home value is absolutely a part of your NW. Now, whether you should count 100% of estimated value or not is up for debate. My rule of thumb is to discount 7% from that (3%/3% and 1% closing cost / staging etc etc).
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

#1 - 7.8% (3 homes all paid for)
#2 - 7.8%
ad2007

Post by ad2007 »

Our spreadsheet have NW with and without RE. Since we're retired the NW without RE number is important. That number tells us what we can spend. The home value can cover long term care if it come to that, but more likely go to the kids. The rentals will either be 1031 into a vacation home or go to the kids, so we tend to completely ignore that number.

I can understand the home value/equity relative to net worth would be important if one is to downsize at some point. Portion of that home value will become available for spending.
Barsoom

Post by Barsoom »

#1. about 6.7%
#2. about 7.5% - 8.5%

-B
kinless

Post by kinless »

1. 52.4% (CA residence) + 12.3% (AZ rental) = 64.7%
2. 83.7% (CA residence) + 45.7% (AZ rental) = 129.4%

Obviously I can’t help that my residence has appreciated more than 50% in the 10 years I’ve lived in it. After maxing out the usual eligible contributions I decided to take advantage of low interest rates this year and buy an investment property in AZ (where I plan to retire) which currently earns much better than a “high-yield” savings. It’s already appreciated a few percentage in 3 months time and I plan on keeping it for many years.

I don’t know why we can’t solve that silly debate and recognize two definitions: Total Net Worth (TNW) including all illiquid assets and Liquid/Investable Net Worth (LNW/INW). Choose the one that best fits your mindset or situation and roll with it. I personally focus on TNW right now since the primary residence isn’t my forever home and plan to make more efficient use of the realized gain after selling.
HenryG

Post by HenryG »

Home paid off.
1. 6%
2. 6%
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

1. 22%
2. 22%
fyre4ce

Post by fyre4ce »

Neither do we. I definitely include mutual funds, and I also include stocks and ETFs, except those with other than three characters in the ticker. No one can ever convince me to include these. I also include checking balances but not savings, except that I do include money market funds. I include the value of my car, but not my wife's. I also include all un-secured loans a negative, but exclude secured debt like car loans and mortgages. I figured if I'm going to make up my own definition for "net worth" I might as well not stop after excluding real estate.
grettman

Post by grettman »

17%. Home is paid for and it is our only RE investment.
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

About 11-12% for both. Home debt free
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
dewey

Post by dewey »

Roughly 17% of net worth for both questions.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

I don't usually count home equity as part of net worth, but if I did ...

12.7%, according to tonight's fund quotes and Zillow's home estimate.

No other RE, and the house is paid off, so the percentages are the same for both questions.