Credit Card sign up bonus's

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
dred pirate

Credit Card sign up bonus's

Post by dred pirate »

I used to play the credit card churning game and got some great sign up bonuses - mainly in the travel category. I haven't really done much lately due to the having a baby and well, COVID. I figured the hotels and airlines might be hurting and looking for business and wondering if anyone knows of some great sign up offers?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Credit Card sign up bonus's

Post by abuss368 »

dred pirate wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:08 pm I used to play the credit card churning game and got some great sign up bonuses - mainly in the travel category. I haven't really done much lately due to the having a baby and well, COVID. I figured the hotels and airlines might be hurting and looking for business and wondering if anyone knows of some great sign up offers?
I gave up on shopping credit cards years ago and cleaned up our credit reports. All the credit cards opened over th year are now closed and long off the credit report. We have a relationship with one bank and have the credit card there as well. This has helped from a relationship stand point and really increased our FICO scores each month.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
djheini

Post by djheini »

Doctor of Credit https://www.doctorofcredit.com/ and the Churning subreddit https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/ are two good resources for the latest news in the credit card signup world.

Amex had some good offers recently come out on the Platinum and Gold cards via Resy.

Look specifically at https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-cur ... n-bonuses/ and see if anything catches your eye
Last edited by djheini on Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
dred pirate

Post by dred pirate »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:18 pm
dred pirate wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:08 pm I used to play the credit card churning game and got some great sign up bonuses - mainly in the travel category. I haven't really done much lately due to the having a baby and well, COVID. I figured the hotels and airlines might be hurting and looking for business and wondering if anyone knows of some great sign up offers?
I gave up on shopping credit cards years ago and cleaned up our credit reports. All the credit cards opened over th year are now closed and long off the credit report. We have a relationship with one bank and have the credit card there as well. This has helped from a relationship stand point and really increased our FICO scores each month.
Not really what I asked ;-)
Not concerned about credit score, even when I opened 10 in a year my score was still >800
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

dred pirate wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:20 pm
Not concerned about credit score, even when I opened 10 in a year my score was still >800
We have received two letters over the past year or so with the bank increasing our credit line. We never asked for that! Part of the relationship which I have come to appreciate more over time. There is additional flexibility,
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I haven't done much of anything lately but the AmexPlat recently had a big sign up bonus of 100,000 points plus some other bonuses (10X points for certain purchases).

https://frequentmiler.com/incredible-12 ... -targeted/
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

Yeah, I open and cancel cards multiple times a year and it hasn't affected my credit score. And I could care less about increasing my credit line or having a relationship with a credit card company. I'm sure they don't value their relationship with me. I just get the bonuses and move on. The latest was 80K points for the Chase Sapphire Freedom (spent $4k in 3 months). This was the first Chase card I was allowed to get in a few years. AMEX is really good and I think I've gotten the Hilton Honors 120k bonus 3 or 4 times.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:24 pm
We have received two letters over the past year or so with the bank increasing our credit line. We never asked for that! Part of the relationship which I have come to appreciate more over time. There is additional flexibility,
My FiCO is 835 right now. Open and close a few cards a year. Hasn't been a problem, my credit rating has held steady. My credit lines are as high as I'd want, and unclear why I care about a better relationship with the bank. But if I did care, Chase and Citi seem to like me just fine.
HawkeyePierce

Post by HawkeyePierce »

I've curned 40+ cards over the last eight years. My credit is excellent and I have no trouble with lines of credit.
Valueinvestor2

Post by Valueinvestor2 »

Not what the OP asked. Also, if you apply for a new credit card the new line of credit will increase your total credit far more than what an expansion of credit line with one lender would be. IMO it’s a game worth playing to get all the benefits. I can’t think of the last time I paid for a flight.

Now to the point of the post. I just follow credit points guy. I have not seen any major offers that interest me yet.
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

I'd be really cautious about putting any value for that relationship. For most banks you are nothing more than numbers on the paper. Their only goal is to maximize the profit they make on you.

There used to be a time when a personal relationship with your local bank manager really mattered. Also employer-employee relationship was a tight bond - even for life.

For better or worse - those times are mostly gone.
44% VTI | 36% VXUS | 10% I-bonds | 10% EE-bonds
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

ivgrivchuck wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:38 pm
I'd be really cautious about putting any value for that relationship. For most banks you are nothing more than numbers on the paper. Their only goal is to maximize the profit they make on you.

There used to be a time when a personal relationship with your local bank manager really mattered. Also employer-employee relationship was a tight bond - even for life.

For better or worse - those times are mostly gone.
Sadly and unfortunately I would agree.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Just read the Doctor of Credit blog. They publish a monthly list of best signup bonuses.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

This topic is now in the Personal Finance forum.
Topic Author
dred pirate

Post by dred pirate »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:59 pm This topic is now in the Personal Finance forum.
thanks - sorry I clicked the wrong forum
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

UpperNwGuy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:55 pm Just read the Doctor of Credit blog. They publish a monthly list of best signup bonuses.
And unlike most other sites/blogs, they don’t have collect referral fees for credit card offers and thus don’t try to sell you stuff you really shouldn’t want or need.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

dred pirate wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:05 pm
oldcomputerguy wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:59 pm This topic is now in the Personal Finance forum.
thanks - sorry I clicked the wrong forum
No worries. :happy
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

I am also playing the credit card game. But for simplicity I focus only on cards with cash bonus or where points are easily redeemable for cash. I know this isn't optimal but it's very to make extra $1000-$1500 per year as a couple this way.

Doctor of credit or Google. These are not difficult to find.
44% VTI | 36% VXUS | 10% I-bonds | 10% EE-bonds
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

A slew of information on bonus/deals here:

https://www.milesfeed.com/