TurboTax 2020 available Nov 4

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
02nz

TurboTax 2020 available Nov 4

Post by 02nz »

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Softwar ... 08HSKNTCM/

As before, the software will not be fully functional at first, but useful for those who need to estimate taxes (e.g., to figure out how much Roth conversions to do in 2020).

(I'm not sure if Amazon still gives "slow shipping" credits for Prime as I don't think I've been offered them in a long time, but if you have them, I believe they can be used for software downloads like TurboTax.)

If you don't need it immediately, hold off as there will almost certainly be promos later in November or December.

EDIT: Amazon is running a deal today with a discount and $10 Amazon gift card, e.g., Deluxe for $50: https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Softwar ... 08KK8JLT4/
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
cadreamer2015

Re: TurboTax 2020 available Nov 4

Post by cadreamer2015 »

Thanks, I just saw that on the Amazon site.
De gustibus non est disputandum
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

We should be seeing a long "Fidelity Free Turbo Tax" thread any day now as well....
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

marcopolo wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:06 pm We should be seeing a long "Fidelity Free Turbo Tax" thread any day now as well....
Anyone know what the requirements are for Fido free TT these days?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

02nz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:47 am (I'm not sure if Amazon still gives "slow shipping" credits for Prime as I don't think I've been offered them in a long time
They do, occasionally, in my recent experience.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

Thanks.

I always buy as soon as it comes out (usually, unfortunately, at full price). Doing an early draft of my return almost always highlights some unthought of year-end tax strategies.
slalom

Post by slalom »

I wish the web version wasn’t typically several weeks later.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

marcopolo wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:06 pm We should be seeing a long "Fidelity Free Turbo Tax" thread any day now as well....
:D
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Last couple years they have offered $10 discount plus $10 Amazon gift card on December 28. I'm waiting.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:33 pm Anyone know what the requirements are for Fido free TT these days?
It has always been a mystery. I guess if Fido makes enough money from you, you will get the “free” TT offer.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Time to remind folks that all editions of TT do all tax forms. There's no reason to buy Premier or Home and Business. Deluxe will handle it unless there are major changes to TT this year. I suspect even Basic might. And if you live in a state like CT, there's no reason to buy the state software and pay TT to efile the state return. You can do your state return at the CT DOR website. CT starts with Federal AGI and only has a few adjustments - they tax SS at a max of 25%, there's a deduction for the CT 529 plan, and you have to add back non CT muni bond interest as well as a few others.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

pshonore wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:42 pm Time to remind folks that all editions of TT do all tax forms. There's no reason to buy Premier or Home and Business. Deluxe will handle it unless there are major changes to TT this year. I suspect even Basic might. And if you live in a state like CT, there's no reason to buy the state software and pay TT to efile the state return. You can do your state return at the CT DOR website. CT starts with Federal AGI and only has a few adjustments - they tax SS at a max of 25%, there's a deduction for the CT 529 plan, and you have to add back non CT muni bond interest as well as a few others.
This is only true for the download version, HR Block download version does all forms. Online (web) version of TT and HRBlock will upcharge you for additional forms beyond the edition you "pay" for.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

HueyLD wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:13 pm
nalor511 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:33 pm Anyone know what the requirements are for Fido free TT these days?
It has always been a mystery. I guess if Fido makes enough money from you, you will get the “free” TT offer.
Given that it's Halloween Fidelity free Turbotax - Page 15 - Bogleheads.org might rise from the dead in the near future....
stan1

Post by stan1 »

FiveK wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:29 pm
HueyLD wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:13 pm
Given that it's Halloween Fidelity free Turbotax - Page 15 - Bogleheads.org might rise from the dead in the near future....
Waiting for the volunteers to start calling Vanguard to ask for free tax software and then report back how curtly they were told "who do you think this is, Fidelity?"
hamhocs

Post by hamhocs »

For Premiere download version last year, here were the prices (using the Keepa extension):

Pre-Release - $90
Release - $70
12/27 to 2/15 - $55

Other versions were similar
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Along with debates on whether or not Deluxe and Premier are the same.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Amazing after 30 years they keep finding ways to charge for “upgrades”.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

nalor511 wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 3:47 pm
pshonore wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:42 pm Time to remind folks that all editions of TT do all tax forms. There's no reason to buy Premier or Home and Business. Deluxe will handle it unless there are major changes to TT this year. I suspect even Basic might. And if you live in a state like CT, there's no reason to buy the state software and pay TT to efile the state return. You can do your state return at the CT DOR website. CT starts with Federal AGI and only has a few adjustments - they tax SS at a max of 25%, there's a deduction for the CT 529 plan, and you have to add back non CT muni bond interest as well as a few others.
This is only true for the download version, HR Block download version does all forms. Online (web) version of TT and HRBlock will upcharge you for additional forms beyond the edition you "pay" for.
This is correct.
jajlrajrf

Post by jajlrajrf »

pshonore wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:42 pm Time to remind folks that all editions of TT do all tax forms. There's no reason to buy Premier or Home and Business. Deluxe will handle it unless there are major changes to TT this year.
Can you turn up the detail knob here? I've always bought Premier because based on their marketing I assumed I needed it to account for investments. Is this not true?
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

jajlrajrf wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:40 pm
pshonore wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:42 pm Time to remind folks that all editions of TT do all tax forms. There's no reason to buy Premier or Home and Business. Deluxe will handle it unless there are major changes to TT this year.
Can you turn up the detail knob here? I've always bought Premier because based on their marketing I assumed I needed it to account for investments. Is this not true?
For the download/CD version: I've been using TT for probably 20 years (usually Deluxe but also Basic a few times). I have the usual stuff over that time - wages, cap gains, dividends both qualified and nonqual, itemized deductions, non-qualified employee stock options, pensions and SS, RMDs, QCDs as well as K1 forms. Deluxe and Basic have always handled it. I've run my sons return with Self employment income and typical business expenses through it as well. I generally don't use the interview method (which is great if you're new to tax prep) but fill in the forms directly as allowed. Sometimes as a check I'll run through a portion of the interview method to see if I missed anything. The rumor is the advanced versions (Premier, Home and Business) give you more "guidance" whatever that means. If you start with Deluxe, you can always upgrade later if the going gets tough.
J295

Post by J295 »

pshonore wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:10 am
For the download/CD version: I've been using TT for probably 20 years (usually Deluxe but also Basic a few times). I have the usual stuff over that time - wages, cap gains, dividends both qualified and nonqual, itemized deductions, non-qualified employee stock options, pensions and SS, RMDs, QCDs as well as K1 forms. Deluxe and Basic have always handled it. I've run my sons return with Self employment income and typical business expenses through it as well. I generally don't use the interview method (which is great if you're new to tax prep) but fill in the forms directly as allowed. Sometimes as a check I'll run through a portion of the interview method to see if I missed anything. The rumor is the advanced versions (Premier, Home and Business) give you more "guidance" whatever that means. If you start with Deluxe, you can always upgrade later if the going gets tough.
To be sure, are you saying that Deluxe will handle self-employed income? Or at least that’s what we should try to start with?

In the past we’ve purchased business and done it over the cloud. But we couldn’t run mock calculations once we file the return, so this year I’m going to get the download version. Make sense?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I learned of a free product here on this website and have it it for a couple years. It works very well.

Consider Free Tax USA

Federal is free and state is $15 or so (if needed). I use it for Federal (which also e-files). For our state I prepare directly on states homepage at no cost.
Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA »

aristotelian wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:05 pm Last couple years they have offered $10 discount plus $10 Amazon gift card on December 28. I'm waiting.
Yep, that’s when I get mine. Setting a reminder on my calendar.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

J295 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:04 am
pshonore wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:10 am
To be sure, are you saying that Deluxe will handle self-employed income? Or at least that’s what we should try to start with?

In the past we’ve purchased business and done it over the cloud. But we couldn’t run mock calculations once we file the return, so this year I’m going to get the download version. Make sense?
Yes - Deluxe will absolutely produce a Schedule C and any other supporting forms (Depreciation, QBI, SE tax, etc). Hopefully you can use last years online return as input to this years desktop return. My understanding is TT allows that.
mouth

Post by mouth »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:07 am I learned of a free product here on this website and have it it for a couple years. It works very well.

Consider Free Tax USA

Federal is free and state is $15 or so (if needed). I use it for Federal (which also e-files). For our state I prepare directly on states homepage at no cost.
^^^ Same. This will be my 4th year and been happy so far.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

mouth wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:24 am
abuss368 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:07 am I learned of a free product here on this website and have it it for a couple years. It works very well.

Consider Free Tax USA

I have a tax background and evaluated Turbo Tax (and was initially biased there and used previously), H&R Block (which I used as well), and Free Tax USA. All three are excellent and you won’t go wrong with any.
mouth

Post by mouth »

abuss368 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:01 am
mouth wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:24 am

Consider Free Tax USA

I have a tax background and evaluated Turbo Tax (and was initially biased there and used previously), H&R Block (which I used as well), and Free Tax USA. All three are excellent and you won’t go wrong with any.
Well, other than the cost; right? :P :wink: :beer
nydoc

Post by nydoc »

The only year my form 8606 was wrong was the year I used H&R. TurboTax deluxe is good.
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

pshonore wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:22 am
J295 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:04 am ...

Yes - Deluxe will absolutely produce a Schedule C and any other supporting forms (Depreciation, QBI, SE tax, etc). Hopefully you can use last years online return as input to this years desktop return. My understanding is TT allows that.
Ditto. My spouse has self-employed income and we use the download version of TT Deluxe for Schedule C and related forms.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

cowdogman wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:47 pm Thanks.

I always buy as soon as it comes out (usually, unfortunately, at full price). Doing an early draft of my return almost always highlights some unthought of year-end tax strategies.
I used to do the same thing until I found this tax calculator. I've been playing around with it most of this year. I've compared it to my 2019 TurboTax "What if" worksheet and the results are identical.

So this year I'm doing my year end strategizing witn the tax calculator. Then, I'll buy TTax when prices are right.

mortgagecalculator.org/calcs/1040-calculator.php

Even though it says "mortgage calculator", it's still a tax calculator.

Hope the link works. If not, you might be able to copy and paste.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

1210sda wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:11 pm
cowdogman wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:47 pm Thanks.

I used to do the same thing until I found this tax calculator. I've been playing around with it most of this year. I've compared it to my 2019 TurboTax "What if" worksheet and the results are identical.

So this year I'm doing my year end strategizing witn the tax calculator. Then, I'll buy TTax when prices are right.

mortgagecalculator.org/calcs/1040-calculator.php

Even though it says "mortgage calculator", it's still a tax calculator.

Hope the link works. If not, you might be able to copy and paste.
I think that would work for a lot of people, but I have two business, i401(k)s, depreciating property, etc. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I have been developing for 20+ years that is highly accurate, but at the end of the day it's what TurboTax says that is dispositive. And I find the question/answer approach conducive to tax planning/strategies. To me it's worth the extra $20 or so to buy TurboTax when it first comes out.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

One other thing comes up when moving to different software. Most good software will track several thing from year to year over multiple years. The most obvious is capital loss carryovers. Other items would be passive loss carryovers (Real estate and MLPs to mention a couple). Another example is depreciation claimed on rental or business property. And who anyone who is collecting a pension to which they contributed (on an after tax basis) can deduct a portion of those contributions from their income until they get back the full amount.

If you "change horses in the middle of the stream", don't forget to plan for and know how to get those numbers into the new software. In most cases, that data will be buried in a worksheet in the previous software.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

pshonore wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:45 pm One other thing comes up when moving to different software. Most good software will track several thing from year to year over multiple years. The most obvious is capital loss carryovers. Other items would be passive loss carryovers (Real estate and MLPs to mention a couple). Another example is depreciation claimed on rental or business property. And who anyone who is collecting a pension to which they contributed (on an after tax basis) can deduct a portion of those contributions from their income until they get back the full amount.

If you "change horses in the middle of the stream", don't forget to plan for and know how to get those numbers into the new software. In most cases, that data will be buried in a worksheet in the previous software.
+1

Also, after-tax contributions to IRAs from previous years.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

pshonore wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:45 pm One other thing comes up when moving to different software. Most good software will track several thing from year to year over multiple years. The most obvious is capital loss carryovers. Other items would be passive loss carryovers (Real estate and MLPs to mention a couple). Another example is depreciation claimed on rental or business property. And who anyone who is collecting a pension to which they contributed (on an after tax basis) can deduct a portion of those contributions from their income until they get back the full amount.

I encountered this when I switched from TurboTax to TaxAct. TaxAct can import data from a PDF produced for filing, but not from a PDF produced by TurboTax with all the supporting worksheets, which is what TurboTax does by default.
Wiki David Grabiner
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

02nz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:47 am https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Softwar ... 08HSKNTCM/

As before, the software will not be fully functional at first, but useful for those who need to estimate taxes (e.g., to figure out how much Roth conversions to do in 2020).

(I'm not sure if Amazon still gives "slow shipping" credits for Prime as I don't think I've been offered them in a long time, but if you have them, I believe they can be used for software downloads like TurboTax.)

If you don't need it immediately, hold off as there will almost certainly be promos later in November or December.
Way too early to be talking about this since we all just filed on July 15th, a mere 3 1/2 months ago.

:sharebeer

CyclingDuo
Last edited by CyclingDuo on Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

LOL, no doubt.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

pshonore and others,
Mid-80s older gent seeking explanation of terms used in this post and its responses. Please explain the terms "CD" and "Download" versions. My understanding is that CD means I would get a physical disc to put into my desktop tower to load the program onto my desktop. I guess it would have some code associated with it that would be unique to me as purchaser. Not sure what the download method would mean and can you explain more please. Are there benefits of one over the other especially if I were to run into issues getting it onto my desktop?

For the past 18 years I have had my returns prepared in the VITA/TCE programs, but with this pandemic I may not go back to them because of possible exposure issues. I am pretty well versed in taxes and would need only the Deluxe version of Turbo-Tax. I figure my taxes out by hand and my only real concern would be the different tax rate calculation on capital gains associated with the sale of one taxable fund. Fully into the 22% marginal tax bracket for all but capital gains which I believe are at a lesser tax rate depending amount of gains with our MFJ filing status.

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.
Tom D.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

tomd37 wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:45 am pshonore and others,
Mid-80s older gent seeking explanation of terms used in this post and its responses. Please explain the terms "CD" and "Download" versions. My understanding is that CD means I would get a physical disc to put into my desktop tower to load the program onto my desktop. I guess it would have some code associated with it that would be unique to me as purchaser. Not sure what the download method would mean and can you explain more please. Are there benefits of one over the other especially if I were to run into issues getting it onto my desktop?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.
Yes, CD (compact disc) version would be on the disc that you manually install on your computer. The downloaded version is a file you download through the internet and install on your computer (my preferred method since I no longer use a CD/DVD drive). There are usually quite a few updates from initial installation as the months go by, so I prefer to wait closer to tax due date time so that the latest updates have been installed on my computer (TT checks for updates each time you open it).

TT also has an online version where the software itself is not actually installed on your computer, but you do your taxes 'online' via the Intuit Corporation servers.

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

pshonore wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:42 pmAnd if you live in a state like CT, there's no reason to buy the state software and pay TT to efile the state return. You can do your state return at the CT DOR website. CT starts with Federal AGI and only has a few adjustments...
I'll second this advice with respect to CO returns. Easy to do them on the DOR website and CO starts with the Federal TI amount (so even easier than CT's).
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

02nz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:47 am If you don't need it immediately, hold off as there will almost certainly be promos later in November or December.
Or today. Prices already reduced at Amazon.
Topic Author
02nz

Post by 02nz »

lstone19 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:28 am
02nz wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:47 am If you don't need it immediately, hold off as there will almost certainly be promos later in November or December.
Looks like a one-day deal with a $10 Amazon gift card (annoyingly, this means I can't use my Amazon gift card balance for the purchase). Here's the link for the Deluxe version, which is probably the best bet for most: https://smile.amazon.com/TurboTax-Softw ... B08KK8JLT4
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

$39.99 for Deluxe (with no state). Not bad but probably cheaper if one waits for Black Friday.
Topic Author
02nz

Post by 02nz »

pshonore wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:46 am
$39.99 for Deluxe (with no state). Not bad but probably cheaper if one waits for Black Friday.
The Deluxe + State (but no e-file for state) version I linked above is $10 more but includes a $10 Amazon gift card. That's the right buy for most people.

ETA: There's a Deluxe (no state) for $40 that does also have a $10 Amazon gift card.
Last edited by 02nz on Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

02nz wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:33 am
The Deluxe + State (but no e-file for state) version I linked above is $10 more but includes a $10 Amazon gift card. That's the right buy for most people.
I think I will buy this and stop worrying about when the optimal price will be available.

Also, as a benefit for y’all this will “guarantee” that Fidelity will make a free copy available to everyone else with at least $10 in funds at Fido. :twisted:
mrc

Post by mrc »

Watch out though, that Amazon special is for PC only. I can't find a Mac analog.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Topic Author
02nz

Post by 02nz »

mrc wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:43 am
Watch out though, that Amazon special is for PC only. I can't find a Mac analog.
There are buttons where you can choose the platform. If you click on "Mac Download" it'll show you that version, same price and $10 GC included. Or use this direct link: https://smile.amazon.com/TurboTax-Softw ... B08KJQ1MW1
lstone19

Post by lstone19 »

mrc wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:43 am Watch out though, that Amazon special is for PC only. I can't find a Mac analog.
It's available for Macintoshes but you may need to get to it indirectly. Select the PC download version, then you can change it to Mac Download.

The only one that does not seem to have a Mac version available is the "Home & Business + State + $10 gift card".
mrc

Post by mrc »

lstone19 wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:49 am
mrc wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:43 am Watch out though, that Amazon special is for PC only. I can't find a Mac analog.
It's available for Macintoshes but you may need to get to it indirectly. Select the PC download version, then you can change it to Mac Download.

The only one that does not seem to have a Mac version available is the "Home & Business + State + $10 gift card".
Found it. Thanks to you both!
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
JD58

Post by JD58 »

I've downloaded the TT software from Amazon, like every year, with my Bing rewards credit, making it for all intends free. But as is usual, getting it this early it is really a broken piece of software.

- Schedule C business section incomplete and not handling depreciation correctly yet.
- 1099-R section incomplete and forms not retaining data correctly.
- No forms available yet, as expected this early, regarding treatments of withdrawals from CARE Act (i.e., 3 years to pay taxes on COVID distribution, PPP, etc.)
- Deduction section incomplete
- education section incomplete

The list goes on.

This is standard for most tax software this early in the tax season.

I will still rely on my spreadsheet to do my tax planning for Roth conversions at year end.
deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty »

Is there any difference between the $69.99 premier version and the $69.99 premier version with $10 Amazon gift card? They both seem to be available under “editions”...