Bank with no debit/ATM card?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Bank with no debit/ATM card?

Post by NYCaviator »

Does anyone have a bank account with no debit or ATM card? If so, how do you deal with cash? Just stop by the branch once a month?

I am almost 100% cashless, but sometimes I need to pull out $20-40 for places that don't take a card. I recently had a lost wallet scare and it was a pain to cancel the debit card. In this day and age, the debit card seems like such a liability, since its linked directly to your checking account. I'd love to go debit card-less, but worry that I may need to use it once in a while.
jebmke

Re: Bank with no debit/ATM card?

Post by jebmke »

Why not get an ATM-only card and keep it somewhere other than your wallet?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

My banks offer debit cards, but they can be exchanged for ATM-only cards, which I have done. They let me get cash from an ATM, but I can't use them as debit cards. This entails getting a new card as the debit card has the MC/VISA logo on it, which no longer applies to an ATM-only card.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I have neither an ATM or debit card.

My business takes in a lot of cash daily, which was where I get cash if needed.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

Wells Fargo allows this with their lowest tier checking account.
boosnark

Post by boosnark »

Get an AMEX Bluebird card, and top it up once a month with enough cash for your needs (via wire transfer from your bank account). You can use it just like a credit card or withdraw cash at an ATM. Sure someone can steal it, but it wouldn't be your checking account.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I have Ally checking, where via their phone app you can disable the card, or only allow certain transactions like ATM only or no international.
Tattarrattat

Post by Tattarrattat »

With the Ally card control app, you can leave the card disabled most of the time, then just enable it from the cell phone app when you need it. If you lose it, it should already be in disabled mode.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

jebmke wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:08 pm Why not get an ATM-only card and keep it somewhere other than your wallet?
I'm finding most banks aren't doing this anymore. You ask for an ATM only card and they say they only offer visa debit. I could just leave the debit card at home, but I feel weird not having the ability to pull cash while I am out, just in case I need it.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

mindboggling wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:12 pm My banks offer debit cards, but they can be exchanged for ATM-only cards, which I have done. They let me get cash from an ATM, but I can't use them as debit cards. This entails getting a new card as the debit card has the MC/VISA logo on it, which no longer applies to an ATM-only card.
Can you use an ATM only card internationally?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Another option is to get an online account with ATM/debit card and keep a minimal balance in the account. Minimal risk.

I rarely keep much cash in our checking account so I tend not to think about risk of lost card. And, I can't recall the last time I used currency - probably the first week in March when I was tipping a van driver at the airport. Even before the pandemic, a hundred bucks would last me 6-8 weeks or so.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I don't operate without a debit/ATM, but I could do it...
All of my expenses (including rent) are charged to a rewards credit card...
The credit card allows me to pay the bill by linking a bank account to debit.
I can (and have) linked it to my credit union share/savings account (that does not offer bill pay or an ATM card unless you also have a checking account).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
prudent

Post by prudent »

My bank used to have ATM-only cards but stopped issuing them. But they do allow you to set a limit on debit card purchases, so we set it to $1. Maybe your bank has the same feature.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Bank 1: ATM only card (this is the one I use).
Bank 2: Debit/ATM. Keep disabled using the app and l ave at home.
Bank 3: No card. Electronic transfer to Bank 1 set up.
Previous bank: Closed account, switched to bank 1, when they decided to charge $10 for an ATM. (Was disappointed in bank for other reasons but this was the final straw.)

MIL has never had an ATM card. She goes through the drive thru once a month while using a CC for most things. Her emergency plan is a CC cash advance but had never needed it.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

I rarely use cash (once a month during normal times).

I have a credit union account with an ATM card. Check your local credit unions to see if any offer ATM cards (I doubt it could be used internationally).

I also have Schwab checking account with a debit card that I keep locked (can quickly and easily do via the app) unless I’m traveling. I like having the ability to get reimbursement on ATM fees anywhere in the world.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:03 pm Does anyone have a bank account with no debit or ATM card? If so, how do you deal with cash? Just stop by the branch once a month?

I am almost 100% cashless, but sometimes I need to pull out $20-40 for places that don't take a card. I recently had a lost wallet scare and it was a pain to cancel the debit card. In this day and age, the debit card seems like such a liability, since its linked directly to your checking account. I'd love to go debit card-less, but worry that I may need to use it once in a while.
Some options:

Cut up the ATM/debit card. Then you effectively have an account with no card 😀. If you need cash, write yourself a check, go to the bank, and cash it. That’s what people did in the old days (wow I feel old just typing that!)

A more new school approach is to link your debit card to Apple Pay or its equivalent and use that as your debit card. I have a Bank of America account and their ATMs allow you to use a contactless payment system in lieu of your ATM card. Then you can cut up your card or lock it in a drawer but still have a safe way to withdraw money from an ATM.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

Many years ago, Wells Fargo, at card replacement time, decided on their own to send us Visa Debt Cards as a replacements for our ATM cards.

I called and said we want ATM cards, was given the song and a story about how easy it is to buy things with the Visa Debt, to which I again said I want an ATM card. The CSR said OK and about a week later ATM cards arrived. Since that time every replacement card has been ATM.

As far as I am concerned, an ATM Card is for cash withdrawals at the bank's ATM and should not be used for purchases. This isolates store terminals/systems from the checking account. With all payments on a Credit Card, I can readily check it for any errors/fraud before it's paid, whereas an ATM or Debt card is immediately transacted against the checking account.

I've finally this year got DW to start using her credit card at the food store, not her ATM. That used to be driven by her wanting $20 - $40 is cash. With CV19 concern/restrictions, most of our out-about cash expenditures have disappeared, thus a two hundred bulk withdrawal of cash is less than 1/2 used 4 months later. It helped that she also did not want bills handled by other people.
Topic Author
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

RetiredAL wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:14 pm Many years ago, Wells Fargo, at card replacement time, decided on their own to send us Visa Debt Cards as a replacements for our ATM cards.

I called and said we want ATM cards, was given the song and a story about how easy it is to buy things with the Visa Debt, to which I again said I want an ATM card. The CSR said OK and about a week later ATM cards arrived. Since that time every replacement card has been ATM.

As far as I am concerned, an ATM Card is for cash withdrawals at the bank's ATM and should not be used for purchases. This isolates store terminals/systems from the checking account. With all payments on a Credit Card, I can readily check it for any errors/fraud before it's paid, whereas an ATM or Debt card is immediately transacted against the checking account.

I've finally this year got DW to start using her credit card at the food store, not her ATM. That used to be driven by her wanting $20 - $40 is cash. With CV19 concern/restrictions, most of our out-about cash expenditures have disappeared, thus a two hundred bulk withdrawal of cash is less than 1/2 used 4 months later. It helped that she also did not want bills handled by other people.
Can the ATM only card be used at any ATM or just WF?
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

I have a checking account with schwab, you can use their ATM card to withdraw from any ATM machine and schwab covers all the fees
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:22 pm
RetiredAL wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:14 pm Many years ago, Wells Fargo, at card replacement time, decided on their own to send us Visa Debt Cards as a replacements for our ATM cards.

Can the ATM only card be used at any ATM or just WF?
I believe YES, but I don't think I have ever done so. Although I haven't done so in years, it worked at the ARCO gas pumps which were ATM card only. I know it works at all/most food store terminals. I would assume it works a stores like Kohl's too.

The security difference is that a pin is required to use an ATM card, but not for a Visa Debit card.

At a name brand store, the system security should be OK. I would never ever use an ATM card at a mom-pop place with unknown system security. I quit using Arco many years ago because gas pumps were at that time easy pickings for 'card skimmers'.

If there is an issue with a credit card, it's initially their money. With a Debit Card, it's initially your money.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

jebmke wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:40 pm Another option is to get an online account with ATM/debit card and keep a minimal balance in the account. Minimal risk.

I rarely keep much cash in our checking account so I tend not to think about risk of lost card. And, I can't recall the last time I used currency - probably the first week in March when I was tipping a van driver at the airport. Even before the pandemic, a hundred bucks would last me 6-8 weeks or so.
This is what we do. Our checking account, which has ATM/Debit cards, only ever has a couple weeks of cash in it. Additionally it does NOT have any linked accounts or line of credit as overdraft protection. So if someone got a hold of our debit card they could likely get something but it wouldn’t be much.
Eurookat

Post by Eurookat »

When I was using ally as my primary checking I had two checking accounts. Both had debit cards tied to it. One account was where my direct deposit hit and we paid our bills from it. For this account I never enabled the debit card. The other account i used for ATM withdrawals or to buy stuff like coffee or meals for the kids. For this account I keep very little, maybe $50.

In the event the card gets lost or stolen, I can simply deactivate it and report it stolen. There would be no way for someone to access my main checking or savings account.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

One of these three options should work for you:
  • Ask your bank for an ATM only card. Yes, those can be used at any ATM (check your bank for ATM network options and fees), they just don't have a Mastercard/VISA compliant number or logo and therefore lack the ability for purchase transactions, or
  • Look at your bank's app for the ability to lock/unlock your debit card instantly. Keep it locked until you need to withdraw cash from an ATM, unlock it when you arrive at the ATM and after your withdrawal is complete just lock it again, or
  • Ask your bank to set the purchases limit at zero.
If one of those three options is not available at your bank, it is probably time to find a new bank. Any bank concerned about their customer's account security will offer one or more of these options to prevent debit card fraud.
wander

Post by wander »

Just get the cards, then cut them. Problem solved.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

To those who mention cutting up the card, while that would prevent fraud involving use of a lost/misplaced card, it doesn't provide any protection from fraud involving a compromised card number that may occur as a result of a data breach.

Unlike a credit card, a compromised debit card can result in the cardholder's linked account being drained. While federal law governing fraud liability in such instances may result in most of the funds being restored to the cardholder, consumers may still be liable for $500 of the fraudulent charges if not reported within two (2) business days or the entire loss if not reported within sixty (60) calendar days of the statement in which the loss appears. In the meantime, the cardholder is also likely dealing with dishonored checks and payments and a much more onerous and burdensome process than occurs with credit card fraud where all the bad actor can access is your credit line, not your actual money. :shock:

So I recommend debit card holders do more than just cut up the card if they wish to proactively prevent fraud involving their account.
Freeadvice

Post by Freeadvice »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:36 pm
jebmke wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:08 pm Why not get an ATM-only card and keep it somewhere other than your wallet?
I'm finding most banks aren't doing this anymore. You ask for an ATM only card and they say they only offer visa debit. I could just leave the debit card at home, but I feel weird not having the ability to pull cash while I am out, just in case I need it.
Chase bank does
Point

Post by Point »

Why not lock up the card at home and use your watch or phone for secure transactions, and using the atm securely?

https://www.wellsfargo.com/mobile/payme ... -pay/index
sam1838

Post by sam1838 »

Just lock the card, and if you ever need to use it, open the app, unlock the card, complete the transaction, lock the card. There is basically no risk to having a debit card attached to an account if you follow basic security protocols. The card is useless when locked.
chalet

Post by chalet »

an atm-only card might limit the loss if stolen or copied. one day's loss might be limited to the one-day cash withdrawal limit.

could use paypal for online shopping with no debit card.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:36 pm
How often do you unexpectedly need cash right this minute? I can't ever think of a time when I was thinking DANG! I dont' have any cash - and no way to get any... Why not keep some cash at home and then plan ahead before you go out - you can put some extra cash in your wallet if you think you'll need it.

That's what I do. I keep about $50 in my wallet ($20, a $10, two $5 some singles and some change). I go thru all the crap in my wallet every week or two and so replenish the money - or if I have collected $$ I remove some of it.
I also keep $200 to $300 in cash at home. I replenish it as needed at my convenience (when I'm at the bank or ATM)
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

NYCaviator wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:37 pm
mindboggling wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:12 pm My banks offer debit cards, but they can be exchanged for ATM-only cards, which I have done. They let me get cash from an ATM, but I can't use them as debit cards. This entails getting a new card as the debit card has the MC/VISA logo on it, which no longer applies to an ATM-only card.
I have used an ATM card to make withdrawals. As long as it has the Cirrus or Plus networks (maybe others too) and is allowed by the bank to withdrawal cash at ATMs internationally it is fine.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:10 pm

How often do you unexpectedly need cash right this minute? I can't ever think of a time when I was thinking DANG! I dont' have any cash - and no way to get any... Why not keep some cash at home and then plan ahead before you go out - you can put some extra cash in your wallet if you think you'll need it.
When your car is towed while you are dinner from the parking lot because the tow company insists you left the property, but you were inside the property eating dinner, and the tow company only takes $160 in cash to allow you to pickup your car.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

In the rare time that we need the ATM, we use use the Wells Fargo app to obtain a one time code at the ATM. We have not used our ATM card in years. Really don’t have a need for it.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

Hassle of no debit card >>>>>> extremely low risk of debit card
mindboggling

Post by mindboggling »

I've only converted to ATM-only within the last year or so, so I don't know. I haven't traveled overseas lately. Sorry.
In broken mathematics, We estimate our prize, --Emily Dickinson
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

mindboggling wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 10:21 pm
I've only converted to ATM-only within the last year or so, so I don't know. I haven't traveled overseas lately. Sorry.
I've used my ATM-only cards in many countries overseas with no issues. 10 or 15 years ago, my credit union tried the "everybody gets a debit card now" line; I told them "ATM-only card or I'm moving our accounts", and haven't had an issue since - when they periodically send replacement cards they are ATM-only.
north2016

Post by north2016 »

I have an ATM only card with Bank of America. Used very rarely but available for unanticipated needs.
DocInColo

Post by DocInColo »

How many folks here have debit (or ATM) cards and don’t carry them in their wallet? Do you just leave them in a safe at home?

I asked all three of the institutions I bank with if I could get an ATM only card and they said they don’t offer them anymore, only debit (these are regional/local banks and one big online bank). I guess that’s the way things are going.
egrets

Post by egrets »

I have neither. I would not get a debit card due to their less safety issue. Once or twice a year I go into a branch and get $200 or so in cash. That's the rate at which I use cash, for things like farmers' markets, tipping at peapod pickup, etc.
egrets

Post by egrets »

criticalmass wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:20 pm

When your car is towed while you are dinner from the parking lot because the tow company insists you left the property, but you were inside the property eating dinner, and the tow company only takes $160 in cash to allow you to pickup your car.
What weirdness is this? Some scam a restaurant is running?
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

I use PNC Bank and have 2 ATM cards (to have an extra for when I travel). PNC allows me to lock them from use. I use their app to unlock them when I need to use them, then immediately lock them again. I do this while I'm in the car at the ATM. Nice solution for a lost wallet fear.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I can not wait for the day we live in a cardless society. No plastic and no need for wallets.
Last edited by abuss368 on Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:24 am I can not wait for the day we live in a careless society. No plastic and no need for wallets.
“Cashless” :?:

Thumbprints? I suppose if you can memorize your account number and PIN purchase could’ve done from a POS terminal, theoretically.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

jebmke wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:33 am
abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:24 am I can not wait for the day we live in a careless society. No plastic and no need for wallets.

Thumbprints? I suppose if you can memorize your account number and PIN purchase could’ve done from a POS terminal, theoretically.
Darn spell check! I edited to say “cardless”
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I have four checking accounts. Each of them has a debit card. I keep all four cards at home in a safe place. Three of them haven't been used since 2019. The fourth has been used a total of four times in 2020 and may not be used again until 2021. I really hate both cash and paper checks. I pay as much as possible with credit cards or ACH transactions.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:39 am
jebmke wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:33 am

Darn spell check! I edited to say “cardless”
I suppose they could use face recognition, fingerprints or voice recognition. Cards not really that onerous though.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

egrets wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:50 am
criticalmass wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:20 pm

What weirdness is this? Some scam a restaurant is running?
I started singing Steve Goodman's Lincoln Park Pirates:
"To me way, hay
Tow them away
We plunder the streets of your town
Be it Edsel or Chevy there's no car to heavy
And no one can make us shut down. "

Back in the day - when i parked my sad little car in questionable "parking spots" while bar hopping or eat at some happening tiny restaurant - the back up plan for having the car towed was to call a cab and go home. Deal with the car the next day. Thankfully, I never had my sad little car towed. And the one time the car wouldn't start at 2am, the City Tow truck crew were kind to me (and friends) and got the little car started and off we went after we pooled our remaining cash (and a dessert doggy bag) and offered it for the help. They were polite and non-scary and helpful. :)
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

I called my credit union and escalated to a phone rep who could put in a request to have the Debit feature removed from the ATM card. Said it's a rare request, but they can do it, if you get to the right department. Now it's an ATM only card, and if someone finds your wallet, they won't be able to do anything without your PIN