Personal capital: Retirement plan review and $100

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Stanczyk

Personal capital: Retirement plan review and $100

Post by Stanczyk »

Personal capital is offering me a free portfolio review and $100 for talking to them. Has anyone done this? The $100 would be deposited into a personal capital cash account.
SmileyFace

Re: Personal capital: Retirement plan review and $100

Post by SmileyFace »

No - but I tried out their software for a $20 Amazon Gift Card a couple of years ago (which did lead to them calling me; but I never answered).
I would take the call and the $100 if you can fit it into your schedule. I am sure they will try to sell your their services so be prepared to stand firm.
benihanna

Post by benihanna »

They'll listen to your financial goals, not answer any questions you have, and push their 89bp one-size-fits-all pseudo-indexing strategy. I would probably sit through it for $100 but it took place over 2 hour-long sessions.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

I saw this prompt once. How many times have you seen it?
villen

Post by villen »

Thrifty Femme wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:17 pm I saw this prompt once. How many times have you seen it?
I got a postcard in the mail. Thinking about it...

I used to use them, BB (Before Bogleheads); I'm surprised that didn't disqualify me from the offer.
lgb

Post by lgb »

They may call occasionally, mainly as they have sales people churn so you just end up on their list to call as you're an easy lead for them (since you've signed in/created an account for free - you had 'interest' so they can practice with you potentially on converting to a sale etc..)....

I've been using their software for some time to have a better 'overall' view of Investments, Cash, Assets - by just entering in everything manually (not actually connecting accounts/account numbers) works well... Great if you have your investments across multiple custodians. Probably even better if you actually have your accounts connected. I don't use it to track monthly expenses, but if you had things actually connected I've heard it does well for that.

Has good tool to show your investments and their expense fees and overlap of your investments 'overall' which was why I had an initial interest etc... (to have a better global view)

I only had 1 prolonged discussion just expressing interest in the platform initially and they of course want to do a review, but just tell them not at this time and then they'll put you on their longer term tickler to call back and inquire. Any sales person that isn't just dense - would realize after months or so of non-call backs - that you're a low potential target - but like I said they churn through their sales people and the new guy will call to harass (err, sell..).
2babogle

Post by 2babogle »

I'm curious why you get picked for this offer. Seems like their algorithms would know that your portfolio is not likely to improve with their added fees. I inherited an account at ameriprise. They immediately started telling me how I can save on fees. I also immediately transferred it away from ameriprise.
I don't believe they would intentionally waste their money. Maybe something about your MN accounts warrants review anyway. Just thinking out loud.
villen

Post by villen »

2babogle wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:53 pm I'm curious why you get picked for this offer. Seems like their algorithms would know that your portfolio is not likely to improve with their added fees.
In my case, their "Portfolio Analyzer" consistently wants me to change my allocations, slightly (add alternative investments, more foreign equities) and reduce my cash.

I'm sure the offer is just tied to their PA tool flagging anything they think they can "improve". I'm also sure their "review" is going to suggest exactly the same thing.
hnd

Post by hnd »

I got a postcard too.

a coworker did it. he said it took like 3 hours. My time is worth more than $33 an hour doing something I don't want to do.

Its funny they say its a 800 dollar value. lmao.