Used Car Purchase, No Title. Need Advice

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
whaleblow

Used Car Purchase, No Title. Need Advice

Post by whaleblow »

In August, my son (age 25) purchased an almost new car from a car dealer in Chicago. The car was a former lease with 2,000 miles on it, a 2020 model year BMW in excellent condition. The Carmax report indicated that the car had no prior issues or problems. My son lives in Maryland, and he discovered the car on the BMW Dealer's website. As it was near the end of the 2020 model year, it was one of the few remaining cars that fit his specs for model and features. He drove to Chicago in Mid-August and purchased the car, using cash he had saved as well as a bank loan for the balance of payment. Total cost was about $47,000 with his trade in.

He received from the Dealer all of the required documents (bill of sale, warranty, buyers order, odometer disclosure). However, the Dealer informed him that the original Illinois Title would follow in the mail once the loan application had been processed. It was expected to take from a few days to a week for the Title to arrive. He also received a one month temporary Illinois registration taped on the inside rear window. He returned to Maryland with the car.

Fast forward two months. The original Illinois Title has not been delivered. The temporary Illinois registration expired in mid-September, but without a Title my son has been unable to legally drive the car, nor can he register the car in Maryland. He is in regular communication with the Chicago dealership about the status of the Title, but to little effect. Every week the sales manager has the same tired story about a mix up at the original Dealership from which the BMW Dealer acquired the car. The claim made is that the Title is always "arriving in just a few days". There was briefly a story about waiting for the Title to be reissued and sent by mail from the main BMW Office in Germany, but that explanation appears to have lost favor. The question is what to do next.

We presume that it's illegal to sell a car without a Title. An official BMW Dealer would know this. What pressure can be brought to bear on a car dealer to either complete the transaction (provide a legal Title), or take other measures (return the car and repay the money; provide a different car with title) that would resolve the matter in a timely and satisfying way. A civil lawsuit (breach of contract?) would probably work eventually, but is there a quicker and less costly way to resolve this? And what if any damages or compensation might my son be entitled to for having suffered through this painful episode? Further, if a lawyer becomes involved, do we need to hire an Illinois lawyer in order to litigate a case involving an Illinois car Dealership? (and how does one find a good lawyer in Chicago?)

We would be grateful for any advice (legal or other) or any ideas that might bring an end to this sorry episode. Once again, life gets to be stranger than fiction. Many thanks in advance for any and all advice on finding a way forward.
Soon2BXProgrammer

Re: Used Car Purchase, No Title. Need Advice

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

TLDR -- Ask the dealership to buy the vehicle back for full value.
Last edited by Soon2BXProgrammer on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

whaleblow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 am In August, my son (age 25) purchased an almost new car from a car dealer in Chicago. The car was a former lease with 2,000 miles on it, a 2020 model year BMW in excellent condition. The Carmax report indicated that the car had no prior issues or problems. My son lives in Maryland, and he discovered the car on the BMW Dealer's website. As it was near the end of the 2020 model year, it was one of the few remaining cars that fit his specs for model and features. He drove to Chicago in Mid-August and purchased the car, using cash he had saved as well as a bank loan for the balance of payment. Total cost was about $47,000 with his trade in.

He received from the Dealer all of the required documents (bill of sale, warranty, buyers order, odometer disclosure). However, the Dealer informed him that the original Illinois Title would follow in the mail once the loan application had been processed. It was expected to take from a few days to a week for the Title to arrive. He also received a one month temporary Illinois registration taped on the inside rear window. He returned to Maryland with the car.

Fast forward two months. The original Illinois Title has not been delivered. The temporary Illinois registration expired in mid-September, but without a Title my son has been unable to legally drive the car, nor can he register the car in Maryland. He is in regular communication with the Chicago dealership about the status of the Title, but to little effect. Every week the sales manager has the same tired story about a mix up at the original Dealership from which the BMW Dealer acquired the car. The claim made is that the Title is always "arriving in just a few days". There was briefly a story about waiting for the Title to be reissued and sent by mail from the main BMW Office in Germany, but that explanation appears to have lost favor. The question is what to do next.

We presume that it's illegal to sell a car without a Title. An official BMW Dealer would know this. What pressure can be brought to bear on a car dealer to either complete the transaction (provide a legal Title), or take other measures (return the car and repay the money; provide a different car with title) that would resolve the matter in a timely and satisfying way. A civil lawsuit (breach of contract?) would probably work eventually, but is there a quicker and less costly way to resolve this? And what if any damages or compensation might my son be entitled to for having suffered through this painful episode? Further, if a lawyer becomes involved, do we need to hire an Illinois lawyer in order to litigate a case involving an Illinois car Dealership? (and how does one find a good lawyer in Chicago?)

We would be grateful for any advice (legal or other) or any ideas that might bring an end to this sorry episode. Once again, life gets to be stranger than fiction. Many thanks in advance for any and all advice on finding a way forward.
Check with your son's DMV on steps to take.

Otherwise, just start searching on how to get a title and the steps needed to take...

https://legalbeagle.com/7309189-do-titl ... t-one.html
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel
thatme

Post by thatme »

Agreed - a reputable BMW dealer (as opposed to a sketch buy here-pay here car lot) should have long ago offered to buy back the car, send him a new temp plate while this is sorted out, offer a year of free service for the trouble, etc... I assume they will sort it out but it seems like a lot of BS.

I was very much expecting a "I bought a car for $2K on Craigslist type story" and not a 2020 BMW.
radius9918

Post by radius9918 »

With COVID changes at the DMV in my state, I've noticed that DMV transactions, based on a few that I've had to do the last few months, that are relatively quick are now taking a much longer time to execute. It seems like the best solution would be to ask the dealership for another temp registration until the paperwork gets sorted out unless for some reason he REALLY wants to get rid of the car.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

whaleblow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 am ...He drove to Chicago in Mid-August and purchased the car, using cash he had saved as well as a bank loan for the balance of payment.

He received from the Dealer all of the required documents (bill of sale, warranty, buyers order, odometer disclosure). However, the Dealer informed him that the original Illinois Title would follow in the mail once the loan application had been processed.
Can you clarify this? Did your son have bank financing prearranged and take a bank check for the loan amount to the dealer or did he apply for financing at the dealership?

Does the bank/lender have a lien or security interest on the vehicle? Generally, when a vehicle is financed the vehicle owner does not receive the title until the loan is paid in full, at which time the lienholder releases the security interest and sends the original title to the owner.

If the bank/lender has a lien on the vehicle, has your son contacted the lender and/or Maryland MVA to ascertain what he can do to get the vehicle registered and get a tag?
gr7070

Post by gr7070 »

whaleblow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 am ... but without a Title my son has been unable to legally drive the car,
Unsure why that would be the case. He doesn't need to possess the title to drive it.
c1over8

Post by c1over8 »

gr7070 wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:25 am
whaleblow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 am ... but without a Title my son has been unable to legally drive the car,
Unsure why that would be the case. He doesn't need to possess the title to drive it.
He probably means his son hasn't been able to get it registered and tagged without the title
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

If there is a lien on your son's vehicle, here are the steps he must take according to Maryland MVA:
Proof of ownership – This is the vehicle’s existing title that identifies you as the owner. If there is a lien against your out-of-state title:
  • Make an appointment​ to visit MDOT MVA.
  • If you do not have the title document or certificate, the MVA will provide you with a letter (form #VR-056) to send to your lien holder requesting the title(s) be sent to the MVA. Note: Please have the following information for the letter: Name of vehicle owner, MD address, phone number, VIN number, year, make of vehicle, lien holder's name, lien holder's address, lien holder's fax number, state where currently registered/titled and lien account number.
  • Upon receipt of the title document(s), the MVA will write or call you to inform you that we have received the title(s). We will inform you of the excise tax due and ask you to send your completed Application for Certificate of Title (form #VR-005), the MD Safety Inspection Certificate, and payment (check or money order made payable to the MVA) to the MVA. The check should include payment for the following: Title fee, Fee to record the lien, excise tax and tag fees
Last edited by galawdawg on Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

All the title stuff will depend on the state. I don't know Maryland, but in Mass, you must have the title in your hand to register the car. The title will list the lienholder on the title and the DMV will keep that title and issue a new title in the name of the new owner and mail that new title to the lienholder (or to the new owner....with a lienholder marked...I don't remember).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

I'm not familiar with buying cars from used car dealers - or anyone - without having the title to be processed right there at the sale.

Is there any chance this car was stolen, or that someone else still thinks that they own it for whatever reason?
That could explain why there is no title "available" for OP.

What "lender" has this loan? Is it a real bank or other proper financial institution?
Any chance, IF this vehicle has/had questionable ownership that the scam is to just get whatever cash is offered, and there's not really a loan? How much was the cash vs the loan?

RM
Last edited by ResearchMed on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

whaleblow wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:47 am In August, my son (age 25) purchased an almost new car from a car dealer in Chicago. The car was a former lease with 2,000 miles on it, a 2020 model year BMW in excellent condition. The Carmax report indicated that the car had no prior issues or problems. My son lives in Maryland, and he discovered the car on the BMW Dealer's website. As it was near the end of the 2020 model year, it was one of the few remaining cars that fit his specs for model and features. He drove to Chicago in Mid-August and purchased the car, using cash he had saved as well as a bank loan for the balance of payment. Total cost was about $47,000 with his trade in.

Your son will not receive the title until he pays off the bank loan as he doesn't own the car--the bank does. The title shows ownership. Your son does not own the vehicle. Once he pays the bank loan, they will release the title to him.

If he's making payments on it, then no biggie.

The car dealership has done their part. Your son just takes all the paperwork to the treasurer's office/courthouse where he lives to register the car. The dealership is misinformed about the title.

We purchased a vehicle a few years ago; paid cash and took out a loan. The title was retained by the bank we took out the loan with. When we paid it off, then it was sent to us showing that the loan had been paid.
MichDad

Post by MichDad »

Your son could file a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General's Office against the dealership.

MichDad
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

galawdawg wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:51 am If there is a lien on your son's vehicle, here are the steps he must take according to Maryland MVA:
Proof of ownership – This is the vehicle’s existing title that identifies you as the owner. If there is a lien against your out-of-state title:
  • Make an appointment​ to visit MDOT MVA.
  • If you do not have the title document or certificate, the MVA will provide you with a letter (form #VR-056) to send to your lien holder requesting the title(s) be sent to the MVA. Note: Please have the following information for the letter: Name of vehicle owner, MD address, phone number, VIN number, year, make of vehicle, lien holder's name, lien holder's address, lien holder's fax number, state where currently registered/titled and lien account number.
  • Upon receipt of the title document(s), the MVA will write or call you to inform you that we have received the title(s). We will inform you of the excise tax due and ask you to send your completed Application for Certificate of Title (form #VR-005), the MD Safety Inspection Certificate, and payment (check or money order made payable to the MVA) to the MVA. The check should include payment for the following: Title fee, Fee to record the lien, excise tax and tag fees
Yes, there must be state specific rules with respect to registering vehicles.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

I would send a letter to BMW's North America General Counsel politely explaining the problem and asking him to intervene. cc the dealership.

https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease. ... 80&mid=421
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

This is confusing.

If there is a bank loan involved and the car was collateral for the loan, in some states the physical paper title goes to the bank holding the loan for safekeeping, and in other (mostly electronic titling) states the title is recorded electronically with the lien holder listed in the record. In this financing situation, the bank should be hollering that they haven't gotten title yet, as they've loaned out money that is currently unsecured. If they are not, perhaps a ping to the bank will get the proper wheels in motion on this.

If the bank loan was not secured by the car, like a Lightstream loan, then the dealership can file an application for lost title with the Illinois DMV and after some period get a title which can then be sent to your son. This may involve them needing to post a bond to cover the cost of them being wrong about the ownership. I would demand proof this application has been made within 48 hours; if it has not, then your son should drive the car back to Chicago and get his money back as the dealership sold a car they never owned. I would sit in the dealership GM's office until a check was cut for the full amount of the transaction and let them know they're lucky he's not pressing for damages as well.
wilked

Post by wilked »

This is hard to follow

What was purchase price? What was the loan amount? The bank should receive the title, not your son
bikesandbeers

Post by bikesandbeers »

Way too early to talk about legal action. It sounds the Chicago dealer has no idea how to get it registered in Maryland. Take info provided here and get clear directions sent to the dealer, including documentation of what you've been through so far. Copy BMW corporate.
Contacting the lending institution makes sense too.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Find out if they can supply a new temporary tag. My understanding is that this depends on the state.

I would get the lien holder involved. It sounds like they are the real owner of the auto anyway. I know this is all annoying. But since this was bought from a BMW dealership, you know that the son will not be out. My out of state new car purchase took 3 months before all the paperwork and taxes were settled. And that was without the delays from the COVID-19 impact.

I was told by my DMV just to drive with the sales contract. I do not know if this would go over well if I had been stopped.
Last edited by Katietsu on Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Outer Marker wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:36 am I would send a letter to BMW's North America General Counsel politely explaining the problem and asking him to intervene. cc the dealership.

https://www.bmwusanews.com/newsrelease. ... 80&mid=421
No way would I start with the GC office. Instead, contact BMW NA's VP for Aftersales or the VP for Central Region USA: https://www.bmwusanews.com/bios.do?&mid=421
Topic Author
whaleblow

Post by whaleblow »

Thank you one and all for the good advice you have given re the matter of my son's missing car Title. We now have more options to consider re how to possibly resolve this dilemma. I think the key take away is that no two States have the same regulations on cars, and half the battle is figuring out where you fall in the separate ways that States deal with and regulate individual personal property. We are most grateful for your collective input.

The bank loan (about $27K) was obtained separately from USAA and we need to find out if they might have the Title. The Dealer had no hand in the financing. The loan was made electronically, bank to bank, so we were never involved in the process. However, the Chicago Dealership has indicated all along that they ought to have had the Title, and have had difficulty in obtaining it from the previous dealership and/or owner who leased the car for two months. They have consistently promised that they were "oh so close" to obtaining it and that once they had it they would deliver it to my son asap. One would think that if the loan company had the Title, that the Car Dealership would be aware of that fact. We still have to determine how Illinois handles these matters. It's always been a bit murky as to where the Title had gone missing, and why. My experience is that whenever you deal with cars, and especially used cars, there is always going to be gray areas that will remain forever impenetrable. Trade secrets...

One is I think generally always wary of car dealers when buying a car. But this is the one outcome that we never imagined nor predicted might happen. C'est la vie. Thanks again for your generous help.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

don't understand how the dealer can obtain the title when your son financed the purchase. As many have stated, the bank would have the title.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:55 am don't understand how the dealer can obtain the title when your son financed the purchase. As many have stated, the bank would have the title.
If the dealer never had the title to begin with, it couldn't transfer that title to the bank. That seems to be the issue here; all roads go through the dealer.

* Dealer accepts old title when it buys the car as a trade-in or purchase from its old owner. If the old owner had a lien on the title, then perhaps the old owner's financial institution has not released its lien and sent the title to the dealer, or perhaps the payoff never got sent from the dealer to the old lienholder, or some other administrative error. That the dealer is being cagey about it suggests the dealer is at fault, but one can't be sure.
* Dealer re-applies for title in new owner's name when the new purchaser comes in, and either the lienholder is listed electronically in the state's DMV or the paper title is sent by the DMV after the dealer's application to the lienholder.
AB609

Post by AB609 »

I would talk with USAA since they hold the loan and it is unsecured without the title. It is likely something they are used to dealing with. I would also ask the dealer or BMW to either provide or pay for a loaner car since you can't drive the car they sold you due their inability to produce the title.
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

8foot7 wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:15 am * Dealer accepts old title when it buys the car as a trade-in or purchase from its old owner.
OP said it was a lease-return, not a sale or trade-in. The previous lessee would not have had a title in the first place, the finance company did - and still does. If this was an in-state purchase, the dealer would have filed the paperwork at the IL DMV to register the lien and get plates. Since it was a sale to an out-of-state buyer, the dealership normally won’t do the legwork to register the car for the buyer but they will generate a bill of sale for the buyer to use at the DMV of the state of their residence.

As others have stated, you don’t need the “title” since the bank owns/has a lien on the car. You just need the bill of sale and a record of what sales tax was collected at the time of the sale.
sd323232

Post by sd323232 »

I have never heard of anyone getting title without paying off car loan first.

Is the car paid off? If not, you will not get the title, the car loan financial company will hold title until it is paid off.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Boy....lots of confusion here. I'm going to take the liberty of assuming some facts, which I'll state.

Dealer got the car. Let's assume someone traded the car in. So the old owner had a loan. The old owner takes his new car pays/gets a loan. The amount owed to his loan is sent by the dealer to pay off the loan. Assuming that bank held that old owner's title, they receive the money and then send the title.

So at that point, the dealer would have the OLD title. Dealers do not need to title the car. They have the signed off, lien free title and car. What appears to have happened is that the OP's son bought the car before the dealer received the title from the old owner's bank.

When the OLD title comes, the dealer will send it to the OP's son. (in my state, MA, this is how it's done). The son will take that old, signed off title, now signed off by the dealer with the box for lien checked. Son takes this title to the DMV to register his car. The DMV takes the old title and will now issue a new title. THIS is the point where the title may go to the lien holder.

I had something similar happen to me once, but fully within my state. I traded a car in for a Jeep. Because I traded a car, I was entitled to put the plate from my old car on my Jeep and carry my registration along with the sales agreement and it is legally on the road for 7 days. (my state has no such thing as temp tags). For some unknown reason, it took about 2 weeks for the dealer to get me the signed off title that came to them from the loan company. After the first 7 days, I had to leave my Jeep in the garage. The signed off title came to me and I then brought that to our Registry of Motor Vehicles to register it.

If someone (old owner's loan company) lost the title, they would have to apply to the state for a duplicate, which would take some time. Maybe this is why the dealer doesn't have it. We don't know. Maybe someone at the dealer lost it and now they have to apply for a duplicate. We don't know.

I hope the son saved a gazillion dollars on this deal (I doubt it).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

I think a key detail here is that it was a two-month lease return. My supposition now is that the initial purchase of the car had not fully been completed before the car was returned, creating a confusing situation.

With leases, the title to the vehicle is generally put in the name of a leaseholder trust. Due to the short timeframe of the lease and with COVID delays, I suspect the initial title on the car has not yet been processed, or perhaps the title has not yet been delivered from DMV to the leaseholder trust. (Delays at our state's DMV reached over 60 days at one point.) If the leaseholder trust doesn't have the title or can't process it, they can't release it/send it to the dealer so that the dealer could give it to your son for registration in MD.

Given your son purchased in August, I can easily envision a situation in which it took longer than 30-45 days for the DMV in Illinois to register the initial lease of the car, and then more delays when the Illinois DMV sent the title to the leaseholder trust, and then further delays in getting that title/payoff from the leaseholder to the dealer.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Katietsu wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:06 pmI was told by my DMV just to drive with the sales contract. I do not know if this would go over well if I had been stopped.
I would consider following this advice, though it does risk being pulled over. Also, besides the sales contract, I'd make copies of all the communications and attempts to fix this and put it in a folder to discuss this with any official. You might get someone who doesn't care, but if you made a good faith effort and have proof, you might get some more sympathy. And who knows, maybe a suggestion or idea that hasn't come up that might be helpful.

Will trying to start over and register the vehicle with no title confuse things? Guess there's the issue of recording the lienholder.

https://mva.maryland.gov/Pages/vehicle- ... ns.aspx#48

Have any fees been paid? " title fee, fee to record the lien, and excise tax and tag fees"

Did you pay any of these to the dealer? Where are the monies right now? And do you have any documentation or information show so? "Dealer says they did xyz" is insufficient. Your contract showing $$$ paid to dealer is a good start. Follow the money. DMV is going to say we didn't receive anything, and it could be anywhere from the dealer's office to the DMV mailroom. If a lender is involved, more places to get lost or delayed. Checks or transactions of money being transferred and receipts are all produced, so you should try to see if you can get a hold of all that documentation and help bridge the gaps.

Try to make sure your DMV got the payments they want. A lot of the penalties are for nonpayment. If there are administrative paperwork delayed, like a missing title, there may not be any fines or if there are, may be forgiven. It's easier to rubber stamp some paperwork or click some approval boxes than to come up with some funds and explain a budget report.
Topic Author
whaleblow

Post by whaleblow »

Good news - - the original Illinois car title arrived in the mail today. As some have suggested, it looks as if the title was caught up in the Illinois State bureaucracy as it wound it's tortured way from agency to agency, office to office. Tomorrow my son will go to the Maryland DMV and transfer the title to Maryland. Case closed. Many thanks to all for your sage advice and support. Long live Bogleheads...
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

whaleblow wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:13 pm Good news - - the original Illinois car title arrived in the mail today. As some have suggested, it looks as if the title was caught up in the Illinois State bureaucracy as it wound it's tortured way from agency to agency, office to office. Tomorrow my son will go to the Maryland DMV and transfer the title to Maryland. Case closed. Many thanks to all for your sage advice and support. Long live Bogleheads...
Terrific.

Please update the thread title by adding something like "RESOLVED".

RM
Topic Author
whaleblow

Post by whaleblow »

RESOLVED
Topic Author
whaleblow

Re: Used Car Purchase, No Title. Need Advice. - - RESOLVED

Post by whaleblow »

RESOLVED
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

whaleblow wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:26 pmRESOLVED
The titie! :wink:

Go to your first post, and "edit" it.
Then look for the little 'pencil' icon in the upper right corner.
Click that, and edit your title, and if you wish, add something at the top of the text.

RM
BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn »

What great news!!
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:32 pm
whaleblow wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:26 pmRESOLVED
The titie! :wink:
😳
ctfish

Post by ctfish »

Why does a 25 year old drive a $47k car? Figured that for this discussion on this forum.