H&R Block 2020 software offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
PowderDay9

Re: H&R Block 2020 software offer

Post by PowderDay9 »

dodecahedron wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:43 am
PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:25 am On Amazon for deluxe, Fed + State ($22.49) is now less expensive than Fed Only ($24.97). Somebody at Amazon needs to coordinate these discounts better. The timing has been wacky this black friday season.
Believe it or not, there may be method to this madness. There are economists who construct models of how this kind of apparently incoherent pricing behavior increases profits.
That makes sense but don't you risk losing the customers who are price conscious? Isn't this why some of us left turbo tax because of the inconsistent pricing and add on fees?
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:45 am
dodecahedron wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:43 am
PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:25 am On Amazon for deluxe, Fed + State ($22.49) is now less expensive than Fed Only ($24.97). Somebody at Amazon needs to coordinate these discounts better. The timing has been wacky this black friday season.
Believe it or not, there may be method to this madness. There are economists who construct models of how this kind of apparently incoherent pricing behavior increases profits.
That makes sense but don't you risk losing the customers who are price conscious? Isn't this why some of us left turbo tax because of the inconsistent pricing and add on fees?
You are forgetting. Amazon, not Block, is the one with the incoherent retail pricing scheme (pricing Deluxe plus State at less than Deluxe alone.) Amazon does not care whether its customers switch back and forth between Block and Turbo Tax. And even then, these incoherencies are brief blips, which most customers are not even paying much attention to. And those few who do pay attention and want Deluxe know enough to watch for the price to fall again.

The software publishers make a lot more money from the folks who buy the online products (as opposed to the download products), especially those who procrastinate and put off efiling until the end. There is no way to lock in a price ahead of time on the online products.

Bogleheads (and their kindred spirits) who buy Black Friday/Cyber Monday download bargain deals are a tiny portion of their market and profits. (But our recommendations/word of mouth likely influences a lot of the more profitable procrastinators.)
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

There were people buying from Walmart and Newegg this year instead of Amazon because Amazon took longer to offer the same 50% off prices.
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

For backup concerns: I have purchased Block from newegg for the two years. My orders history at newegg has download links for those as well as the activation codes needed for the software. They say software can be downloaded 20 times, and that the links do not expire. They have order history for me going back at least to 2015.

As far as I can tell, for backup purposes newegg is about as good as Amazon, though I'd personally not rely on either if I were really concerned about having a backup of the install (I'm not, primarily because I keep PDF copies of all returns backed up to the hilt and don't think I'll ever use the software again after a year or two).
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Fed Only was $17.49 yesterday on Amazon for Cyber Monday. It will probably go back to there again at some point.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 am There were people buying from Walmart and Newegg this year instead of Amazon because Amazon took longer to offer the same 50% off prices.
Same story last year
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

nalor511 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:17 pm
PowderDay9 wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:21 am There were people buying from Walmart and Newegg this year instead of Amazon because Amazon took longer to offer the same 50% off prices.
Same story last year
Last year Amazon was 50% off on black friday. This year you had to go to Walmart or Newegg if you wanted that on black friday.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

My "program" from Newegg arrived in the mail today - a box with a download address and the activation key. The install went fine, but if If I want to make a local backup there is no zip or compressed file, only the launcher in the download directory. do I just archive the whole HRBlock 2020 folder or is the zip hidden somewhere?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

You only need to backup three things:

1. The "program" that you downloaded
2. The activation key
3. The tax files you created with the program

To restore the software, all you need to do is run (install) the downloaded program again and activate it with the key provided. Then, copy your backed up tax files into the directory where you saved them before.

I recommend putting the activation key info into a plain text file (use notepad) and saving it together with the program. You can burn it to a CD or save it to a USB drive.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Same story last year
You are missing the point. Amazon is not all that interested in whether we buy a relatively cheap piece of software at a possibly loss-leader price from them.

Their random somewhat unpredictable loss leader pricing strategy is designed to train us like lab rats in a maze to get us visiting their site frequently and hopefully be sucked into buying other (higher margin) stuff. How many of us wound up buying something *else* in our multiple visits in search of our tax software. (Raises hand sheepishly! But the other things I bought were at least stuff I had already been planning to buy and I feel pretty good about the prices I got them at, though those other things were not 50% discounted off list.)
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

Thanks!
My current rig does have a DVD reader/writer that burns both DVD's and CD's so that is the plan. I was unsure if the launcher file and the activation code was enough of a backup....
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

dodecahedron wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:27 pm
Same story last year
You are missing the point. Amazon is not all that interested in whether we buy a relatively cheap piece of software at a possibly loss-leader price from them.

Their random somewhat unpredictable loss leader pricing strategy is designed to train us like lab rats in a maze to get us visiting their site frequently and hopefully be sucked into buying other (higher margin) stuff. How many of us wound up buying something *else* in our multiple visits in search of our tax software. (Raises hand sheepishly! But the other things I bought were at least stuff I had already been planning to buy and I feel pretty good about the prices I got them at, though those other things were not 50% discounted off list.)
So true - ended up buying Willmaker from NOLO. I was planning to buy sometime, but the price was good so I pulled the trigger... They got me.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

My records show I purchased H&R Block 2018 Deluxe + State from Amazon for just $18 on November 23, 2018 (Black Friday).

CamelCamelCamel shows that the "low" pricing for H&R Block 2019 Deluxe + State from Amazon was $22.49, expect the price went temporarily lower to $19.99 on just one day [Friday, January 17, 2020].

I have no idea what was special about January 17, 2020, but that was just a $2.50 price reduction from the next lowest price.
I couldn't find reliable price history for H&R Block 2017.

Also note that certain credit cards currently have 5% cash back for Walmart and Amazon at the moment. NewEgg too via PayPal.
Watty

Post by Watty »

There were several posts than mentioned that the CD version is not available this year.

As a prior customer H&R Block has sent me a CD in the mail each year for years now but the price has been highish.

Ironically they sent me a mailer today but they sent it in an empty CD case that is the size of a paperback book just like they did in prior years.

Where the CD goes there is a round paper disk saying "no CD required". :oops:

The prices were;
Deluxe Federal only $19.95
Deluxe Federal and state$29.95
Premium $49.95
Premium and business $64.95

at least the Deluxe Federal and state is not a bad price if you missed the sales.

There does not seem to be any special code needed for this and the website is

GetHRBlock.com/RASP
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

I always liked the disc in the mail - if you didn't buy and tried to exit the disc, they would give a 5 dollar discount to continue - with a price that was about the same as Amazon with the discount.....
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Some/many Macs don't even have disc drives anymore (nor ethernet ports), guessing PCs will eventually head in a similar direction? and/or CD drives will be an option/upgrade at purchase (?), so no CD isn't quite a surprise to me (?)

How far back can the IRS go anyway? 7 years? how many years of programs do you really need to save?
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

F150HD wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:07 pm Some/many Macs don't even have disc drives anymore (nor ethernet ports), guessing PCs will eventually head in a similar direction? and/or CD drives will be an option/upgrade at purchase (?), so no CD isn't quite a surprise to me (?)

How far back can the IRS go anyway? 7 years? how many years of programs do you really need to save?
Statute of limitations (SOL) is
  • three years back from due date (or from date filed, whichever is later) for most issues.
  • six years back for substantial omissions of gross income (omitting 25% or more of gross income)
  • forever for alleged civil fraud
But keep in mind that the IRS has the right to examine specific items from a closed year IF those items affect an open year. This often happens in the context of carryforwards. So let's say that you itemized your deductions on your 2017 return, which is definitely an open year. And let's say that those deductions included charitable donation carryforwards from 2012, because you made a very large donation in 2012 that was too big to deduct all in a single year, so you exercised your right to carry the excess forward up to five years. Although 2012 is a closed year, if you carried forward charitable donations from 2012 to your 2017 return, the IRS has the right to examine the items related to the calculation of the charitable donation carryforward on your 2012 return.

Some carryforwards are unlimited in length. For example, some taxpayers did massive tax loss harvesting (TLH) in 2008-9 and they may have many years worth of TLH carryforward capital loss deductions (up to $3K per year against ordinary income). Before TCJA, net operating loss (NOL) deductions had up to a 20-year carryforward, but TCJA allowed NOL deductions to be carried forward indefinitely. So an audit of an open year return that involves either TLH or NOL carryforwards could require examination of those particular issues on old returns many years prior.
HasHas

Post by HasHas »

H&R BLOCK Deluxe + State 2020 is still available for a discount on Newegg (perhaps elsewhere as well?).

I have always filled out my tax forms manually but that will likely have to change from this year because of the growing complexity of my situation. I am considering purchasing this software, especially given the price.

I have a question for those of you who have used this software in the past. In most years, I get small honoraria from things like seminars and thesis reviews (in addition to my regular salary). However, there are usually no tax forms (such as 1099) associated with these payments. When I did my taxes manually, I just reported these in line 21 of schedule 1 of form 1040 (using 2018 form for reference) and included a print out of the transaction details from my bank's website for reference.

Will there be a way to include such income (which is not accompanied by a formal tax form like 1099) in the above version of H&R BLOCK? Thanks.
Last edited by HasHas on Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

HasHas wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:27 am H&R BLOCK Deluxe + State 2020 is still available for a discount on Newegg (perhaps elsewhere as well?).

I have always filled out my tax forms manually but that will likely have to change from this year because of the growing complexity of my situation. I am considering purchasing this software, especially given the price.

I have a question for those of you who have used this software in the past. In most years, I get small honoraria from things like seminars and thesis reviews (in addition to my regular salary). However, there are usually no tax forms (such as 1099) associated with these payments. When I did my taxes manually, I just reported these in line 21 of schedule 1 of form 1040 (using 2018 form for reference) and included a print out of the transaction details from my bank's website for reference.

Will there be a way to include such income (which is not accompanies by a formal tax form like 1099) in the above version of H&R BLOCK? Thanks.
You can report income that is not documented but I believe it will prevent e-filing of your return. Just have to mail it in.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Monster99 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:44 am
HasHas wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:27 am H&R BLOCK Deluxe + State 2020 is still available for a discount on Newegg (perhaps elsewhere as well?).

Will there be a way to include such income (which is not accompanies by a formal tax form like 1099) in the above version of H&R BLOCK? Thanks.
You can report income that is not documented but I believe it will prevent e-filing of your return. Just have to mail it in.
This is nonsense. All income subject to taxation needs to be reported, 1099 or no, and of course returns reporting such income can be efiled. I have regularly reported small payments of the sort that HasHas described and have successfully efiled the return using Block Deluxe (as well as other brands of software in the past, for myself and for clients at my VITA site.)

If the payments are part of a "trade or business" in which I am regularly engaged, they get reported on a Schedule C. If they are not part of my trade or business (e.g., jury duty pay, stipends for participating as an experimental subject, etc.), they get reported as "Other Income" on Schedule 1.

There are many situations where taxable income is earned and needs to be reported but no 1099 is issued. (E.g., I pay my landscaping guy for his work on my personal home but am not required to issue him a 1099-MISC. Some of his clients are businesses who are required to issue him a 1099-MISC for his work. He needs to report *both* types of revenue on his Schedule C.) The IRS requires tax software to have ways to report all income subject to taxation.
Last edited by dodecahedron on Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

He mentioned that he printed out and Included a form from his bank account - not sure how that get e-filed.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:06 am Just ordered HRB 2020 Deluxe Fed only. Was $17.50 once a promo code that appears with the item listing is applied. https://www.newegg.com/h-r-block-tax-so ... lsrc=aw.ds
Just checked this for a friend, and it appears the 50% off price of $17.50 is available thru end of the day today.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

Monster99 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:03 am He mentioned that he printed out and Included a form from his bank account - not sure how that get e-filed.
He simply enters the dollar income figure from that printout into the appropriate place in the tax software as described above. He does not need to mail the supporting documentation to the IRS as part of the return filing process. (It would be a IRS paperwork nightmare if everyone did that with every piece of income not documented by a 1099.) Just find the appropriate place to report the income, enter the dollar amount, and efile the return.

He can simply retain the information he has printed out in his files. If and when the IRS wants to see it, e.g., in the case of an audit, they will ask him for it.
HasHas

Post by HasHas »

dodecahedron wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:12 am
Monster99 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:03 am He mentioned that he printed out and Included a form from his bank account - not sure how that get e-filed.
He simply enters the dollar income figure from that printout into the appropriate place in the tax software as described above. He does not need to mail the supporting documentation to the IRS as part of the return filing process. (It would be a IRS paperwork nightmare if everyone did that with every piece of income not documented by a 1099.) Just find the appropriate place to report the income, enter the dollar amount, and efile the return.

He can simply retain the information he has printed out in his files. If and when the IRS wants to see it, e.g., in the case of an audit, they will ask him for it.
Thank you both. This has primarily been the reason why I never e-filed until now (because I thought I need to send it the supporting documents) and there was never a way to "attach" them with the return in the tax softwares (at least the free ones I dabbled with).

Btw, dodecahedron, do I need to go with H&R Block 2020 Premium (or Premium & Business) in order to access the appropriate fields of Schedule 1 where this information (about income without 1099) will be reported or is this is something that should be there in the cheaper H&R BLOCK Deluxe + State 2020 version as well.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

HasHas wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:29 am
dodecahedron wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:12 am

Thank you both. This has primarily been the reason why I never e-filed until now (because I thought I need to send it the supporting documents) and there was never a way to "attach" them with the return in the tax softwares (at least the free ones I dabbled with).

Btw, dodecahedron, do I need to go with H&R Block 2020 Premium (or Premium & Business) in order to access the appropriate fields of Schedule 1 where this information (about income without 1099) will be reported or is this is something that should be there in the cheaper H&R BLOCK Deluxe + State 2020 version as well.
Block Deluxe will do just fine. I have never used Premium. Deluxe has always sufficed to report all my income.
HasHas

Post by HasHas »

dodecahedron wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:35 am Block Deluxe will do just fine. I have never used Premium. Deluxe has always sufficed to report all my income.
Thank you. I will order it today.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Though I don't have a problem paying $22 for Deluxe + state, since I don't need it now I'm going to hold out for a better deal. I doubt I will wind up paying more.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:20 am Though I don't have a problem paying $22 for Deluxe + state, since I don't need it now I'm going to hold out for a better deal. I doubt I will wind up paying more.
"better deal" meaning......$20? save $2?

$17? save $5?
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

F150HD wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:05 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:20 am Though I don't have a problem paying $22 for Deluxe + state, since I don't need it now I'm going to hold out for a better deal. I doubt I will wind up paying more.
"better deal" meaning......$20? save $2?

$17? save $5?
Yes, pretty much. The software (and probably some forms) are not finalized so what is the rush? If you've planned well and they don't owe you, you've got over 4 months until April 15th.
tfb

Post by tfb »

Watty wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:03 pm As a prior customer H&R Block has sent me a CD in the mail each year for years now but the price has been highish.

Ironically they sent me a mailer today but they sent it in an empty CD case that is the size of a paperback book just like they did in prior years.

The prices were;
Premium $49.95

at least the Deluxe Federal and state is not a bad price if you missed the sales.

GetHRBlock.com/RASP
They have the same "save $5 before exit" hidden deal on this special site. After the page loads, let it sit for some seconds. Now move your mouse toward closing the tab but don't close it yet. A "wait, save $5" offer will pop up. Accept the offer, and now add the product to cart. You will see the $5 off in the cart.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.
bigtex

Post by bigtex »

Why do you use the software download version vs the he block online product where everything is stored online?
hudson

Post by hudson »

bigtex wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:28 pm Why do you use the software download version vs the he block online product where everything is stored online?
With the software download version, everything is saved on your computer.
Nothing is saved at H&R Block. The tax return can be sent to the IRS or to a state.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

hudson wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:18 pm
bigtex wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:28 pm Why do you use the software download version vs the he block online product where everything is stored online?
With the software download version, everything is saved on your computer.
Nothing is saved at H&R Block. The tax return can be sent to the IRS or to a state.
Also, with download version you lock in a known price at time of purchase.

With online version, you do not pay anything until you are ready to submit your efile, but the price you pay is the one in effect at that time. And the price goes up during times when most people want to efile. But by that time, you are effectively a captive audience because you have spent so much time entering data that you don't want to start again at another software vendor.

Also, the download price allows you to efile up to five federal returns (e.g., for yourself and family members.) It will also allow you to prepare any number of paper returns to be mailed for no additional charge. And you can prepare and save multiple scenarios in the download version (in particular, you can use it as a quick and dirty projection of future year's tax planning scenarios.)

The online version pays for ONE federal efile or, alternatively, to print out one version of your taxes formatted for paper filing. It also does not let you see "under the hood" as much as the downloaded version does.

Edited to add: Forum member tfb has an excellent blog post on this subject here:

https://thefinancebuff.com/tax-software ... sktop.html
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

The fact that I can see (and change) the raw form data is reason enough to prefer the *download* version.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:34 pm The fact that I can see (and change) the raw form data is reason enough to prefer the *download* version.
I agree. That is what I meant above when I said that download allows you to "see under the hood" as you are preparing. The online version of tax software typically does not even let you look at the forms until you pay and tell it you are ready to efile (or print out a return formatted for mailing.) I would find that completely exasperating.
Tejfyy

Post by Tejfyy »

I just downloaded from Block's website, the premium was $42.22. Deluxe+state $29.22.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Someone at Amazon also needs to train their warehouse workers better. I snagged that price and opted for the mailed code (I honestly didn't notice the mailed code didn't come with a disc like it did in years past, as my Internet is flaky so I like to get the discs when I can). The worker grabbed the entire sealed case of 12 codes and put it in my order instead of grabbing one code envelope out of the case. So now I have 12 codes for $22.49.

Amazon chat support says I can keep, donate, or trash the extra 11 codes. I thought about donating them to the low-income tax workshop the local university holds, but I suspect they won't be holding those this tax season. I'll still reach out to them and ask, along with a local non-profit that also runs tax workshops.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:51 am
Someone at Amazon also needs to train their warehouse workers better. I snagged that price and opted for the mailed code (I honestly didn't notice the mailed code didn't come with a disc like it did in years past, as my Internet is flaky so I like to get the discs when I can). The worker grabbed the entire sealed case of 12 codes and put it in my order instead of grabbing one code envelope out of the case. So now I have 12 codes for $22.49.

Amazon chat support says I can keep, donate, or trash the extra 11 codes. I thought about donating them to the low-income tax workshop the local university holds, but I suspect they won't be holding those this tax season. I'll still reach out to them and ask, along with a local non-profit that also runs tax workshops.
LOL. so you paid like $1.87 for it then. Best deal on the board. :moneybag

Agreed timing/pricing is quirky this holiday season.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

F150HD wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:48 pm

LOL. so you paid like $1.87 for it then. Best deal on the board. :moneybag

Agreed timing/pricing is quirky this holiday season.
You should have seen me opening the Amazon shipping envelope.... First there was the perplexed "did they send me a retail box instead of their normal envelope" followed quickly by "but why would they put it in a box and then put the box in an envelope" reaction. Then I opened the case and went "wait a minute, there's no disc in these and why are there so many". So I went back to my order and saw there wasn't supposed to be a disc and I looked more closely at the box and saw it was labeled as a case of 12, shipped from H&R Block to Amazon originally. It was quite the parade of emotions in such a short time.

Normally I'd just take shipping mistakes like this to work and pass them out to co-workers. Amazon's mistake is the team's good fortune. But we're all on remote work except for necessary on-site visits to fix a server or when authorized to pick something up from our offices that we forgot to take home (less of those requests these days). I'm not going to go through the headache of packaging and shipping them to co-workers or friends. I'd be willing to ship them to immediate family, although my father doesn't want one.

So really it's still $22.49 for one usable code for me and 11 extra codes that I have no idea what to do with, unless one of the tax workshop groups will accept it as a donation.
tuningfork

Post by tuningfork »

Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:07 pm Normally I'd just take shipping mistakes like this to work and pass them out to co-workers. Amazon's mistake is the team's good fortune. But we're all on remote work except for necessary on-site visits to fix a server or when authorized to pick something up from our offices that we forgot to take home (less of those requests these days). I'm not going to go through the headache of packaging and shipping them to co-workers or friends. I'd be willing to ship them to immediate family, although my father doesn't want one.

So really it's still $22.49 for one usable code for me and 11 extra codes that I have no idea what to do with, unless one of the tax workshop groups will accept it as a donation.
You can photograph the codes and email them.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

tuningfork wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:35 pm
Mudpuppy wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 3:07 pm Normally I'd just take shipping mistakes like this to work and pass them out to co-workers. Amazon's mistake is the team's good fortune. But we're all on remote work except for necessary on-site visits to fix a server or when authorized to pick something up from our offices that we forgot to take home (less of those requests these days). I'm not going to go through the headache of packaging and shipping them to co-workers or friends. I'd be willing to ship them to immediate family, although my father doesn't want one.

You can photograph the codes and email them.
Yeah, I realized that after the caffeine kicked in. Although I'm insisting on cell numbers to text the picture to them. Even after all of this remote work, some of them have not given me their cell number to contact them in case of an emergency. Most of the ones I'm missing are not doing super-critical tasks so it's worked to email them about items that are needed, but this is a good carrot to dangle to get them into the contact list.
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

For anyone who missed the earlier offers, there's now a newegg offer with coupon code to get a download (mac or pc) for:

premium: $29.99
federal + state: $21.49
deluxe (federal-only): $16.49

https://slickdeals.net/f/14700956-h-r-b ... -16-49?v=1
tenkuky

Post by tenkuky »

random_walker_77 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:31 pm For anyone who missed the earlier offers, there's now a newegg offer with coupon code to get a download (mac or pc) for:

AAARGH
I spent $1 more on Black Friday sale. Shoulda waited. :oops:
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

tenkuky wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:35 pm
random_walker_77 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 5:31 pm For anyone who missed the earlier offers, there's now a newegg offer with coupon code to get a download (mac or pc) for:

AAARGH
I spent $1 more on Black Friday sale. Shoulda waited. :oops:
Historically the best prices comes right after Christmas and/or mid January. It won't be much cheaper than now though, maybe a few dollars so don't feel bad.
loveeatingpizza

Post by loveeatingpizza »

For those who use DELUXE, does it have ALL the forms and schedules (C, D, 8606,), etc? I don't necessarily need to do the Q&A interview. I couldn't find that info on the HR block site. Trying to figure out deluxe vs premium.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

loveeatingpizza wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:39 am For those who use DELUXE, does it have ALL the forms and schedules (C, D, 8606,), etc? I don't necessarily need to do the Q&A interview. I couldn't find that info on the HR block site. Trying to figure out deluxe vs premium.
Yes, the Block Deluxe download version has all the forms you mentioned (C,D,8606) and many more. Only reason to get Premium download would be additional handholding.

Note that the online versions (as opposed to download version) of Deluxe and Premium may not work the same way. But if you are getting the download version, Deluxe has handled everything I have ever tossed at it (and my returns have been pretty complex.)
loveeatingpizza

Post by loveeatingpizza »

Thanks for the reply about it having all the forms. For $21 I will try it out. Unfortunately I have to move the info from taxact to HR block.
Seasonal

Post by Seasonal »

Generally, hitting 100% accuracy is much more expensive than occasionally making a mistake and then fixing it if necessary.
indexinvestor101

Post by indexinvestor101 »

Watty wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 7:03 pm There were several posts than mentioned that the CD version is not available this year.

As a prior customer H&R Block has sent me a CD in the mail each year for years now but the price has been highish.

The prices were;
Premium $49.95

GetHRBlock.com/RASP
i bought using hrblock link above and got an email on activation code/receipt. however, it does not have a download link in the email. does anyone have a 2020 deluxe download link?
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The links are customized for your purchase, so there's nothing to post.

I assume you got an email titled "It's time to download your H&R Block 2020 Deluxe Federal + State". The download link is a green button "Download program".

The link under the green button is Additional Installation Help.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.