H&R Block 2020 software offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
MisterMister

Re: H&R Block 2020 software offer

Post by MisterMister »

fsrph wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:57 am I'm interested in this H&R Block product but had a few questions:

How difficult is it to switch from TaxAct?

Looks like this H&B product does not include state filing fee. Correct?

Thanks,

Francis
The biggest nuisance I've found, having made the same switch, is that there is no way to enlarge fonts in HRBlock. This is especially annoying when viewing forms, since the fonts are quite small.

The workaround is to use the Windows magnifier. It works well enough but is a bit of a pain to use. Also, the fonts, when enlarged, are somewhat blurry and pixelated.

It's a minor but valid complaint. I doesn't appear to be something Block cares to improve. Aside from that I am perfectly happy with the Block software and did not see any major shortcomings as compared to TaxAct.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I switched from TaxAct 3 years ago. The software will accept a TaxAct PDF file for import. How do I import last year’s return into my H&R Block Tax Software?

You may end up with a few entries that didn't import. You'll need to double-check everything after the import, as a few fields may not transfer. At worse case, you'll need to enter the info by hand.

This is true for importing tax returns for any software product. It's never 100% for anything other than that product's own files.

Just be sure to save everything you possibly can in PDF format before the switch - all forms (used for the return) and worksheets.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

I only see the download. Will they have it in CD format (at least for Federal) like in previous years?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

bsteiner wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:13 am I only see the download. Will they have it in CD format (at least for Federal) like in previous years?
who is "they"? Newegg....Walmart...Amazon....H&R Block?
hudson

Post by hudson »

MisterMister wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:00 am there is no way to enlarge fonts in HRBlock. This is especially annoying when viewing forms, since the fonts are quite small.
The workaround is to use the Windows magnifier. It works well enough but is a bit of a pain to use. Also, the fonts, when enlarged, are somewhat blurry and pixelated.
You can wait forever for a company to make its stuff fit your wants or needs. The answer is a good work-around!
I like using the Windows Snipping tool. You probably know that you save the snip as a JPG or picture file then you can enlarge it. That may or may not help with the blurry fonts.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

tibbitts wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:50 am
dodecahedron wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 pm Buying on Black Friday enables me to lock in a very good price AND automatically entitles me to all future updates.
Umm... that would imply that not buying on Black Friday (buying earlier or later) doesn't entitle you to all future updates?
Not at all what I meant to imply--I was just responding to a previous poster above who advised holding off buying until January after the "final update" will be available by pointing out that buying now does not in any way preclude me from getting all subsequent updates.

And if Amazon does not lower the price sufficiently today, I may as well wait at least a day or two for Cyber Monday. Last year, I bought Deluxe plus State on Thanksgiving Day itself for a good price (low 20s) but it subsequently fell to high teens on Cyber Monday. So by "Black Friday," I just meant generically on or around Black Friday.

I am not feeling in a huge hurry this year--based on past history I think it is likely there will be a good Amazon price worth jumping on in the next few days. In the greater scheme of things, getting the best possible price is just a fun game. (There is typically also a one day drop in January, but I am usually too busy to play the game at that time of year.) Maybe this will turn out to be the year that LadyGeek turns out to be right in retrospect by jumping on the Amazon price a few weeks ago.
LadyGeek wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:25 am I don't see any deep-dive discounts on Amazon. It's currently $37.99: H&R Block Tax Software Deluxe + State 2020

For once, I may have lucked out by purchasing this a few weeks ago ($29.22).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ I should have clarified. I got it directly from H&R block via a 3rd party site. The prices are still valid:
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 5:01 pm I just got a reminder email from H&R Block repeating the discount offer. Out of habit, I decided to check if I could find cheaper offers elsewhere. Yup.

The usual coupon code sites came in about $1 higher, but PCWorld (of all places) had the software for $5 less than H&R Block.

See: H&R Block Coupons November 2020, then click on "35% offer" --> "See offer" to get a pop-up window.

Clicking on "See discount at H&R Block Tax" will kick-in your browser's ad blocker due to DoubleClick.net. Copy-n-paste the URL after the '?' as:

Code: Select all

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/?otppartnerid=7821&irclickid=T7KRis21zxyLU7owUx0Mo38PUkE2YoT2Nzws080&otppartnerid=1318738&campaignid=af_mcm_0475_569149&partner_id=0475
It still works if you shorten it to (what I used):

Code: Select all

https://www.hrblock.com/tax-software/?otppartnerid=7821
Basic - $12.97
Deluxe + State - $29.22
Premium - $42.22
Premium & Business - $51.97

Click on "Download now" to place your order. The software is available now.

I don't know how long these prices will last, as my first email said that I was getting pre-order pricing and the software would be released November 9. The software is available now and my new email didn't have a release date.

I downloaded Deluxe + State and installed the software, all OK. Forms won't be updated until January 4, 2021.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
beernutz

Post by beernutz »

EagleTom wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:31 am I just bought that newegg offer also for the Deluxe+State. Thanks for that link!

The 2019 version wasn't supported on Win7 either but it worked (I had checked with their support line and was told it was not supported by HR Block because Microsoft was stopping its support but it would work). I am expecting the same situation this year. I'll let you know if I have a problem with this new version on my Win7 system.
FWIW, I downloaded Deluxe+State from newegg yesterday and it ran and updated fine on my WIndow 7 Pro laptop.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. --Will Rogers
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

SciurusVulgaris wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:48 am Amazon shows 20% off all the H&R 2020 products I checked today, but only for prime members, until December 31st. I assume if you use the Amazon credit card you'd still get 5% cash back.

I opted to buy Deluxe+State from Newegg, using the link above. It was $22.50 with the Newegg coupon vs $34.20 at Amazon. I believe Amazon has some benefits though, in that you can download as many times as you want. Newegg seems to charge $5 for that.
I am tempting to consider Newegg. I have never shopped there before myself but my late husband did and I know he liked them. And Newegg does seem to have their devotees. But I don't belong to the Newegg "Premiere" membership plan (sort of like Amazon Prime but I doubt I would find it worthwhile given my buying patterns) and I would prefer to avoid paying the $5 Newegg fee to secure the option of additional downloads in the event that I need them down the road.

As far as credit card cash back, that is not a reason to favor Amazon over Newegg or any other online source. My BoA Cash Rewards gives me 5.25% on all online purchases anywhere.
Topic Author
CABob

Post by CABob »

The Newegg price seems to be good. What are chances that Amazon will have a better price for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Anyone have any thoughts based on past experience?
Bob
samsmith

Post by samsmith »

bsteiner wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:39 am
celia wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:33 am ... I'm also a trustee for a new trust in another state that will be filing its first return for 2020. I'll let a CPA in that state take care of it this year as it involves the cleanup of an estate and sale of real estate. My goal for this trust has always been to make things simple/automatic so the successor trustees don't give up after I'm gone.
If you're the trustee, you should check to see in what state(s) you have to file returns. If the grantor or testator was in a different state, you may not have to file in that state if the trust doesn't have any real or tangible property there and doesn't have any income from that state of a type on which a nonresident would be taxable. On the other hand, you may have to file in your own state. If you have to file in both states, your home state may give a credit for the tax paid in the grantor's or testator's home state.

About half the states tax trusts based on where the grantor or testator lived. Many of these states exempt trusts if there's no trustee in the state, no real or tangible property in the state, and no income from sources in that state of a type on which a nonresident would be taxed. These include New York and New Jersey. New York has a throwback rule, though it's not as comprehensive as California's.

About half the states tax trusts based on where the trustees are located, or where the trust is administered. These include California and Colorado.

Some states have other factors as well.

Finally, in the case of an revocable trust after the grantor dies, the trustees of the trust and the executors of the estate (or the trustees alone if there's no estate) may elect under Section 645 to treat the trust as part of the estate for income tax purposes for a limited period of time. One of the important factors in deciding whether to make this election is whether it will save or cost state income taxes based on the state where the grantor lived and the states where the trustees live.

It would help to know in what state the grantor or testator lived, and whether the trust had been a revocable trust during the grantor's life.
I have heard this before about state tax issues and trusts - including where trusts are not taxable to any state. So if a trust created by a NY grantor at the time it becomes irrevocable (such as a revocable trust at the death of a NY grantor) and then has no trustee in NY, no real or tangible property in NY, and no income from sources in NY of a type on which a nonresident would be taxed - that trust would not be taxed to NY. And if the successor trustees were in states that taxed trusts based on on where the grantor lives than the trust may not be taxable to either state. I think (as I believe bsteiner is implying this is something that happens on occasion and is fact specific. I wonder if bsteiner can add to his post regarding:

1) What he means " New York has a throwback rule, though it's not as comprehensive as California's."?
2) If a revocable trust owned the NY grantor's home at time of his death ( at this was only "nexus" to NY) and sold the home during that same year - so trust owned no NY property at year end (and no profit on the home sale since sale was soon after grantor's death and thus the home's basis (step up at death) reasonably equaled the sale price. Does this require a NY tax return for trust?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

like some here, wondering/waiting on Amazon price to improve. In the past it was often in the $20-25 range.

If anyone sees it, please do post up! Nice to keep it all in one place. Far easier for many reasons.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads -

If interested, please also look at and consider Free Tax USA. The Federal e-filing is free and you only pay by State. For Pennsylvania, I enter our tax return directly into the State website so I only use Free Tax USA for Federal with no fees.

Once I left public practice, I was in the market for a new tax software after using the firms software for 15 years. I compared Turbo, H&R Block, and Free Tax USA. I found all very good and easy to navigate. I had experience with Turbo and H&R Block. I learned about Free Tax USA on this website.

At the end of the day all three are excellent options.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

CABob wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:10 pm The Newegg price seems to be good. What are chances that Amazon will have a better price for Black Friday or Cyber Monday? Anyone have any thoughts based on past experience?
I posted my personal history of buying here. (Note that in years when I described a price as obtained on "Black Friday," it was not necessarily on Black Friday itself. Last year, for example, I obtained my price on Thanksgiving Day itself. So really that "Black Friday" annotation just means Black Friday week.)

But looking at CamelCamelCamel for prior year software reveals that some years there was an even lower price than what I paid in a Black Friday week just a few days afterwards (on Cyber Monday.)

That said, the NewEgg price posted above is a very good one. If I were starting out fresh, I might be inclined to go with it if I did not care about the $5 archive fee.

But I like the idea of having all my ducks in a row (with my archived tax software library for many consecutive years all at Amazon) and feel confident I will get a good enough deal at Amazon by next Monday. So I have set CamelCamelCamel to notify me when the Amazon price goes down and will post here as well.
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

dodecahedron wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:06 pm ... and I would prefer to avoid paying the $5 Newegg fee to secure the option of additional downloads in the event that I need them down the road.
It's not necessary. Simply download the file and copy it to your Google Drive for backup. If you are unfamiliar with how to do that I'm sure someone will be happy to help.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

MisterMister wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:24 pm
dodecahedron wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:06 pm ... and I would prefer to avoid paying the $5 Newegg fee to secure the option of additional downloads in the event that I need them down the road.
It's not necessary. Simply download the file and copy it to your Google Drive for backup. If you are unfamiliar with how to do that I'm sure someone will be happy to help.
My GoogleDrive is a sad and disorganized tangle of files. Amazon makes it easy to find my software library.
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

dodecahedron wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:29 pm
MisterMister wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:24 pm
My GoogleDrive is a sad and disorganized tangle of files. Amazon makes it easy to find my software library.
Ah, a common problem. Perhaps a simple note in your tax file would help as to the location of the backup, else it might be worth the $5 fee charged by Newegg. :happy
Angst

Post by Angst »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:06 am Just ordered HRB 2020 Deluxe Fed only, physical disc. Was $17.50 once a promo code that appears with the item listing is applied. https://www.newegg.com/h-r-block-tax-so ... lsrc=aw.ds
Thanks!

When it popped up, I clicked icon to change from "Deluxe Fed only, physical disc" to "Deluxe + State Windows Download"
Using the promo code that came up with it brought the price down from $44.99 to $22.49, no tax. :beer
Last edited by Angst on Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
charis23

Post by charis23 »

Decided to pull the trigger on the Newegg $22.50 deal. Felt like it wasn't worth it to keep checking / waiting to save a few more dollars :happy
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The HRB software requires a newer version of Mac/OSX than is on my laptop, so I am spending some time to do the OSX upgrade. I suppose it is about time. I do not live in the Apple ecosystem, so I had to get an AppleID and figure out what an AppStore is. Have no pity on me.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:47 pm The HRB software requires a newer version of Mac/OSX than is on my laptop, so I am spending some time to do the OSX upgrade. I suppose it is about time. I do not live in the Apple ecosystem, so I had to get an AppleID and figure out what an AppStore is. Have no pity on me.
If you don't live in the Apple ecosystem, why didn't you get the Windows version of HRB? Or do you live in some exotic ecosystem (Linux?) that does not run standard tax software?
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

dodecahedron wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:21 pm ...feel confident I will get a good enough deal at Amazon by next Monday. So I have set CamelCamelCamel to notify me when the Amazon price goes down and will post here as well.

Thanks. :thumbsup

Same boat, except the lake is currently frozen. :happy

haven't heard 'Cyber Monday' much on any commercials this year. Will keep eye on Amazon.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

dodecahedron wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:50 pm
livesoft wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:47 pm The HRB software requires a newer version of Mac/OSX than is on my laptop, so I am spending some time to do the OSX upgrade. I suppose it is about time. I do not live in the Apple ecosystem, so I had to get an AppleID and figure out what an AppStore is. Have no pity on me.
If you don't live in the Apple ecosystem, why didn't you get the Windows version of HRB? Or do you live in some exotic ecosystem (Linux?) that does not run standard tax software?
I don't live in Windows either. I have a Google (Android) phone, an old MacBook Air that I use for some things, but not as an Apple user would use it. I generally use Linux/Unix commands and non-Apple software on my MacBook because I can type faster than I can use a mouse or trackpad.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Ethelred

Post by Ethelred »

The current Walmart price of $17-50 for Deluxe (no state) is the cheapest I've ever paid. Not sure why it says it's reduced from $24-97. The only problem is that I get an error message when I try to add it to the cart.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

fsrph wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:57 am I'm interested in this H&R Block product but had a few questions:

Looks like this H&R product does not include state filing fee. Correct?

Thanks,

Francis
I switched last year from TaxAct to H&R and had no issues. H&R got the previous years data by reading the PDF of the previous years tax return.

I suggest you use the link to H&R download at Newegg . com - $22 with the coupon ID they supply during ordering. Hard to go wrong at that price.
urumbu

Post by urumbu »

Switching on desktop software after years of online prep at taxact ( they keep raising prices :( )
Bought this download deal at Newegg.
Downloaded the dmg file (installer)

1. How does the software activation work?
1.a Does it use the product key in the email ?
2. Can i install this in multiple computers ( assuming i switch computers during the tax prep time ) ?
2.a No i dont plan to share the software with others ( in case jumps at me for that angle)
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:26 am
bsteiner wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:13 am I only see the download. Will they have it in CD format (at least for Federal) like in previous years?
"They" is the manufacturer. Presumably most sellers will carry whatever the manufacturer makes available.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

Walmart has Premium 2020, PC, deal for 32.50 today. Successfully purchased.
charis23

Post by charis23 »

urumbu wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:16 pm Switching on desktop software after years of online prep at taxact ( they keep raising prices :( )

2. Can i install this in multiple computers ( assuming i switch computers during the tax prep time ) ?
2.a No i dont plan to share the software with others ( in case jumps at me for that angle)
You have to type in the product key in a screen after you install the software. I've installed on multiple computers no problem. I just keep a folder called Software in my Dropbox and store the activation code in a text file in the same folder as the .dmg file.
urumbu

Post by urumbu »

charis23 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:33 pm
urumbu wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:16 pm Switching on desktop software after years of online prep at taxact ( they keep raising prices :( )

You have to type in the product key in a screen after you install the software. I've installed on multiple computers no problem. I just keep a folder called Software in my Dropbox and store the activation code in a text file in the same folder as the .dmg file.
:sharebeer
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

bsteiner wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:18 pm
"They" is the manufacturer. Presumably most sellers will carry whatever the manufacturer makes available.
I have not noticed any CD versions available anywhere this year.

But I have not been looking too hard. Personally, I am happier with the download version and archive. CDs are getting to be dinosaurs. It has been years since I have had a computer that had a CD drive. Sleek modern computers are trying to squeeze out every ounce of unnecessary weight.

Somewhere in the house, I *probably* have a portable CD reader I could connect to my Macbook via USB, but it is easier to log into my Amazon account and download it from my software library there. And even if you have a CD, you still need to download the most recent update after you stick the CD in the drive.
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

Ethelred wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:09 pm The current Walmart price of $17-50 for Deluxe (no state) is the cheapest I've ever paid. Not sure why it says it's reduced from $24-97. The only problem is that I get an error message when I try to add it to the cart.
This may or may not help. I’ve had some problems with buying at Walmart online recently with Chrome. If you are using Chrome try another browser like MS Edge.

Not sure what my issue is. Edge works fine and I am still having problems with Chrome.
bsteiner

Post by bsteiner »

samsmith wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:12 pm ... if a trust created by a NY grantor at the time it becomes irrevocable (such as a revocable trust at the death of a NY grantor) and then has no trustee in NY, no real or tangible property in NY, and no income from sources in NY of a type on which a nonresident would be taxed - that trust would not be taxed to NY. And if the successor trustees were in states that taxed trusts based on on where the grantor lives than the trust may not be taxable to either state. I think (as I believe bsteiner is implying this is something that happens on occasion and is fact specific. I wonder if bsteiner can add to his post regarding:

1) What he means " New York has a throwback rule, though it's not as comprehensive as California's."?
2) If a revocable trust owned the NY grantor's home at time of his death ( at this was only "nexus" to NY) and sold the home during that same year - so trust owned no NY property at year end (and no profit on the home sale since sale was soon after grantor's death and thus the home's basis (step up at death) reasonably equaled the sale price. Does this require a NY tax return for trust?
This happens more than just "on occasion." With state and local income tax rates as high as 13.3% in California,12.696% in NYC, and in the 10% range in some other states, we consider state income taxation of trusts whenever we're creating trusts, or preparing Wills that provide for beneficiaries in trust. Where it's practical, we try to avoid having trusts be subject to state income tax. Since (except for retirement benefits) trusts mainly receive dividends and capital gains, avoiding state income taxes can substantially reduce the income tax burden on a trust.

Revocable trusts are not commonly used in New York. However, if an estate will receive a large amount of income during the administration period, that might be a case where a revocable trust would make sense.

Like many states, New York treats a trust as a resident trust if it was created by a New York grantor or testator. However, if there's no trustee in New York, no real or tangible property in New York, and no New York source income, it won't be taxable in New York. The trustee will file a return and claim exempt status on Form IT-205-C: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_form ... ill_in.pdf.

If the trust owned real estate in New York (such as the grantor's or testator's home), then, at least until the property is sold, it won't qualify for the exemption. The gain on the sale of the property, if any (there might not be any gain if it was a revocable trust) would be taxable, as would any other income through the date the real estate was sold. (TSB-A-10(4)I says that you bifurcate the year if there ceases to be a New York trustee during the year, which suggests that you would also bifurcate the year if the New York real property is sold during the year: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/advisory_opi ... a10_4i.pdf.

New York enacted a throwback rule in 2014. It's based on the pre-1998 Federal throwback rule, a form of which still exists for foreign trusts. If a New York exempt resident trust accumulates income in one year and distributes it to a New York resident beneficiary in a later year, the beneficiary will be taxable on that income. It's complicated (see the form, https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_form ... ill_in.pdf, and the instructions, https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it205ji.pdf). As set forth on the instructions, there are exceptions, including income accumulated before 2014, income accumulated before the beneficiary became a New York resident, income accumulated before the beneficiary reached age 21, and capital gains not included in distributable net income.

California's throwback rule is more comprehensive.
Ethelred

Post by Ethelred »

MisterMister wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:55 pmThis may or may not help. I’ve had some problems with buying at Walmart online recently with Chrome. If you are using Chrome try another browser like MS Edge.

Not sure what my issue is. Edge works fine and I am still having problems with Chrome.
Thanks. Yes, I just tried Edge before you sent this, and it worked fine. Not sure why there's a problem.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

NewEgg search does show the CD version, and there is some kind of coupon on the select page, but says it's out of stock and won't accept an order.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Alternate suggestion: Purchase the Download version, then burn it to a CD.

Tip: Create a text file containing the license key / registration info and burn that on the same CD.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

MisterMister wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:01 am

Thanks,

Francis
The biggest nuisance I've found, having made the same switch, is that there is no way to enlarge fonts in HRBlock. This is especially annoying when viewing forms, since the fonts are quite small.

It's a minor but valid complaint. I doesn't appear to be something Block cares to improve. Aside from that I am perfectly happy with the Block software and did not see any major shortcomings as compared to TaxAct.
Right-click on a blank area of the windows desktop, and select display settings. Go to the "scale and layout" section and change the size of text there. If you have poor vision or a small, high-resolution screen you might want to scale text permanently larger.

The text will not be blurry if you do it this way.
nif

Post by nif »

Walmart has it for $22.50 Deluxe + State.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/H-R-Block-Ta ... gIVlfD_BwE
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

OK. HRB no longer markets a retail CD version, but will sell you an aux CD as an option.
https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/supp ... ernatives/
runner26

Post by runner26 »

Ethelred wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:57 pm
MisterMister wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:55 pmThis may or may not help. I’ve had some problems with buying at Walmart online recently with Chrome. If you are using Chrome try another browser like MS Edge.

Thanks. Yes, I just tried Edge before you sent this, and it worked fine. Not sure why there's a problem.
Purchased from Walmart this morning using Chrome with no problems.
Topic Author
CABob

Post by CABob »

Also purchased from Walmart, $22.50 for Deluxe Fed and State.
So Amazon can now tell me about a cheaper price like usual.
Bob
fsrph

Post by fsrph »

I'm in on the Wal-Mart deal also.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie
dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron »

^ I am tempted to just cave and join the folks going for Walmart, but looking at CamelCamelCamel to see last year's roller coast price history for this product encourages me to wait longer for Amazon to do one of their characteristic random drops to the low $20s (including storage in the free archive library, which stores all my access codes as well as the software links for all prior years I have purchase the program from Amazon.)
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

For all those who recommended the Walmart offer, thank you, thank you, thank you.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

CABob wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:38 pm Also purchased from Walmart, $22.50 for Deluxe Fed and State.
So Amazon can now tell me about a cheaper price like usual.
+1

Bought the Newegg version for 22.50 - now waiting for CamelCamelCamel to pop with a lower price! (oh well.... :happy )
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Offer seems to be over. It is now $45 at NewEgg and $38 at Amazon.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

neilpilot wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:08 pm
OK. HRB no longer markets a retail CD version, but will sell you an aux CD as an option.
https://www.hrblock.com/tax-center/supp ... ernatives/
That's weird. I just ordered the cd version from newegg and didn't notice there was anything different about it
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

dodecahedron wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:04 pm ^ I am tempted to just cave and join the folks going for Walmart, but looking at CamelCamelCamel to see last year's roller coast price history for this product encourages me to wait longer for Amazon to do one of their characteristic random drops to the low $20s (including storage in the free archive library, which stores all my access codes as well as the software links for all prior years I have purchase the program from Amazon.)
Gdrive, free diy software archive
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:29 pm
MisterMister wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:01 am

Thanks,

Francis

Right-click on a blank area of the windows desktop, and select display settings. Go to the "scale and layout" section and change the size of text there. If you have poor vision or a small, high-resolution screen you might want to scale text permanently larger.

The text will not be blurry if you do it this way.
Yes, it is definitely a major improvement to set display scaling to 125%. I've found an additional improvement in sharpness is gained by setting the HR Block startup shortcut's Compatibility setting for High DPI Scaling Override to "System (Enhanced)".

Thanks for this tip.
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

$17.50 at Amazon today (2020, Deluxe, federal only). Just bought it.