Value of higher education (for my situation)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
miamivice

Value of higher education (for my situation)

Post by miamivice »

Hello Bogleheads,

EDITED FOR PRIVACY:

I have hold a couple of degree and am pursuing more education. I am having doubts about whether additional education is beneficial to me. What do you think?
Last edited by miamivice on Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Golf maniac

Re: Value of higher education (for my situation)

Post by Golf maniac »

Will these degrees open up future promotions from current company or better positions from other companies? If you quit will you have to repay your company the money they have invested? How will you be perceived by your company if you quit? How much longer will it take? Really up to you on balance in your life.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

Retired engineering faculty here, and incidentally the possessor of two MS degrees.

I have a hard time understanding the benefit of 2 additional MS degrees. Maybe one, in a carefully selected area that advances your career. Especially if an MBA because you want to go into management. (yuck). If in engineering, a few carefully chosen courses may be as valuable as another degree.

After a certain point, it's what you have done and what you can do that matters, not more credentials.

By the way, I have two because I was finding myself, not because it was well thought out.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

You will probably get better answers from others.....

I do a lot of interviewing and hiring. And honestly, when I see a resume like that, it raises red flags for me. Without knowing any details, I always assume it's somebody who is a poor performer, and is trying to burnish the resume with credentialism. Or alternately, a person who would really rather be a life time student, and be-grudgingly works only out of necessity.

For somebody who is 40, I am most interested in professional accomplishment, and specifically what they have been doing the last 2-3 years.

I usually don't bother scheduling interviews for resumes covered in recent degrees.....

I'm certain though that it might be very different for others, or other industries.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

As a hiring manager, only a degree that feeds into the specific job is worthwhile.

And I agree that too many degrees in different subjects is a red flag. It's indicative of either a perpetual student or someone who hasn't fully committed to a career. And a graduate degree in any humanities and most social science fields is actually a negative for me. I'm not hiring for those fields and I don't want dilettantes.

If you are a developer and the degree in question is a MS or PhD in computer science, that's a plus though, or a masters in accounting for an accountant.

That being said, if someone has 5+ years doing a specific job, that's what I'm looking at. Plus, for some jobs, the quality of the education. Flagship U beats Party Rep U. And honestly, people with Stanford or MIT degrees or foreign equivalent get a second look. UNC or UIUC or Michigan is good. Southern Illinois University or Cal Poly or Appalachian State won't raise your stock with me. I won't ding someone for going to a state school, but I will ding someone for going to a non-flagship state school.
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

If you work in Education, it might make a difference. At many districts, people are paid based on where they fall on a "matrix".
X axis is years of service; Y axis has three levels; BA, MA, Phd. Go to the right "x" years of service, go up to degree level on Y axis, and the number in the "box" is the monthly salary you can expect. Additional $$ if you teach math or science, speak a needed foreign language, have expertise in special needs kids, or can coach one or more sports.

In private industry, prospective employers want to know how you will "move the needle".

Every year, we have to fill out documents describing how we "made a difference" in ways that affect the profitability of the employer. If you can leverage the information you acquire in the degree program to enable you to "move the needle", then it could be worthwhile (depending on how many years of work are ahead of you, of course, and factoring in the costs of the degree).

Otherwise, accumulating "credentials" for the sake of "appearing" more desirable, I would think most prospective employers may not be that impressed.
Last edited by backpacker61 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Your current employer is paying pretty high cost for you to get the 2 extra degrees, so I assume it sees some significant value in your having them. I hope you’ve had a conversation with them about the expectations/why they want you to get these degrees. Would you be fired/asked to resign if you didn’t complete these degrees?

I’d think at this point in your career, career advancement will be more about your work experience than any additional advanced degrees. Now if you want to change careers, then maybe another degree would be required.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

tashnewbie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:07 pm Your current employer is paying pretty high cost for you to get the 2 extra degrees, so I assume it sees some significant value in your having them. I hope you’ve had a conversation with them about the expectations/why they want you to get these degrees. Would you be fired/asked to resign if you didn’t complete these degrees?

I’d think at this point in your career, career advancement will be more about your work experience than any additional advanced degrees. Now if you want to change careers, then maybe another degree would be required.
The employer who is footing the bill, could be paying for these as a retention shackle for a valued employee. I.e. you wouldn’t want to leave anytime soon, or you’d owe them some amount of reimbursement.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

miamivice wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:22 pm Hello Bogleheads,

EDITED FOR PRIVACY:

I have hold a couple of degree and am pursuing more education. I am having doubts about whether additional education is beneficial to me. What do you think?
This is a ridiculous question. You won't tell us anything about yourself, but you expect to get advice on whether an additional, unknown degree will advance you career in an unknown field when you already have multiple unspecified degrees.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

Normchad wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:22 pm
tashnewbie wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:07 pm Your current employer is paying pretty high cost for you to get the 2 extra degrees, so I assume it sees some significant value in your having them. I hope you’ve had a conversation with them about the expectations/why they want you to get these degrees. Would you be fired/asked to resign if you didn’t complete these degrees?

The employer who is footing the bill, could be paying for these as a retention shackle for a valued employee. I.e. you wouldn’t want to leave anytime soon, or you’d owe them some amount of reimbursement.
Very true. OP should know what the terms of this arrangement are.
Misenplace

Post by Misenplace »

Since the OP has removed most of the first post, further discussion is not productive and this thread is locked.

Mod Misenplace