Electric Vehicles

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
workerbeeengineer

Electric Vehicles

Post by workerbeeengineer »

We live in California and I just read that the Governor signed off on a bill that will ban the sale of gas powered cars starting in fifteen years (2035). I do not want to debate on the politics of this and get the thread locked. Rather, just want to focus on strategy for a new car purchase we will likely make in about two years. As we tend to keep our cars for the long haul, the 2035 timeframe is relevant. One concern is that gas stations will start getting hard to find long before 2035. I’m thinking perhaps by 2030. Conversely, when will electric charging stations become really widely available? I’m also concerned with the reliability of the electric grid in California. The thought of being totally dependent on SCE or PG&E to fuel my vehicle seems very foolish. Then of course, there is the cost. Teslas seems very expensive to me. I just want a good, reliable vehicle with a bit of creature comforts. So bite the bullet and go electric or one more gas powered vehicle?
Normchad

Re: Electric Vehicles

Post by Normchad »

Personally, this wouldn’t factor too much into my thinking in two years, one way or another.

If it is truly implemented, traditional gas cars will still be very common on the roads for at least a decade after it takes effect. So finding a gas station or mechanic shouldn’t be an issue. At least not one that I would worry about.

So in 2 years, buy whatever makes sense for you at that time.....

Electric vehicles should become more prevalent and less expensive as time goes on. So the longer you wait to consider buying one, the better off you are likely to end in terms of price and choices.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

15 years in the future, and then a ban on sale not use, if in fact it really happens.

Not worth factoring into the decision.

I don't live in CA, although I am nearby and sometimes go there. I have just bought a gas-powered vehicle.
tj

Post by tj »

I don't think you have to worry about "gas stations not being around" until at least 2045-2050
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a vehicle that didn't already have the infrastructure to support it in place. Anticipating that it might happen wouldn't push me towards it.
I wouldn't even rule out that some other technology, or game-changing transportation (or lack of need for same types of transportation), steals the electric vehicle momentum. A ban on "gas cars" doesn't necessarily mean electric cars take over. As it is, electric vehicles still don't offer the range I need, and are very problematic for people without garages.

Also, what "Bill" is this? When I search all I saw was something about an "executive order" (which isn't a bill / law).
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

CA will have gas stations as long as they have a tourism industry (which will be forever). 8-)
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Topic Author
workerbeeengineer

Post by workerbeeengineer »

Well, this will probably lock the thread, so again thanks for the advice.
cyclist

Post by cyclist »

I'm anticipating a purchase in a couple of years as well (and compulsively comparison shopping in the interim).

That's about the time when Volkswagen, Nissan and others should be entering the US EV market in a more serious way. That'll mean some more serious competition for Tesla, and that can only be good for car buyers.

We anticipate doing fairly regular inter-city trips, so longer-range vehicles are appealing, as is Tesla's Supercharger network. We don't care about going fast, just going safely and conveniently.

Heads there's a competitive alterative to Tesla that we prefer and we buy one. Tails there's a bit of competition and Tesla improves its offerings or lowers its prices. We win either way.

Cyclist
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

Do you have any reason to prefer gas over electric? Do you have any interest in electric? If they ban sales starting in 2035, I would think any gas car you buy now should be fine. Might as well buy the car you want. Worst case scenario, you sell it to someone in Alabama using Carvana.

That said, electric cars have a lot of things going for them, regardless of state mandates. No oil changes, no exhaust system/spark plugs/transmission maintenance to worry about. Never have to set foot in a stinky gas station. Cheaper to drive. $7500 tax credit (depending on model). Lots to like.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Some political talk has been removed. Thread has run its course.