Weigh in on job decision

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
MBB_Boy

Weigh in on job decision

Post by MBB_Boy »

Fellow Bogleheads,

Coming to the forum for wisdom on a possible job change. I've been in discussions with a company in my industry for a new role that's a big upgrade in title, responsibility, and pay. Like the company, like the people, like the job..........don't like the location. Company is around 3 hours away, and my wife and I aren't willing to move at this time. I tried to softly back out, but was then asked what it would take to get me to take the job. So I sort of figure I have to "shoot my shot", and figure out what I would need to get to yes and ask for it. All they can do is say no, and that's the decision I had already come up with.

A few pertinent details:
Pay: Would go from ~$200K to ~$300K
Location: Current job is now full remote, before then I went in a few days a week. Drive was about an hour away. New role is 3 hours away, going back and forth isn't tenable. They aren't open to me being fully remote
Family: Just DW and I, younger 30s. No kids, but plan to put a bun in the oven next year
Income: $380K household (200k for me, 180K for her). We save around 50% of our after-tax income
Financials: Passed the $1M net worth mark earlier this year. Do have lots of low interest debt laying around (100K student loan at 0.18%, ~400K mortgage at 2.75%, 40K car at 2.79%)

Thoughts:
1. If this job was local, I would jump in with both feet. If it was 100% remote, I would jump in with a foot and a half (some anxiety around doing such a high level role for the first time without being around in person). So I want the job in a vacuum, I'm just wary of changing the nice comfy life we've built
2. I like my current job, and was not looking to move. This opportunity came from my network. Talked to boss, and there's no path to a similar role or comp anytime soon, likely ever.
3. I've done the road warrior thing, and didn't have a problem with it (was in management consulting, per name). I have NOT done the road warrior thing when client wasn't flying me in and paying for all my expenses, nor when I've had children
4. Very aware that this decision will negatively impact my wife - her job requires (not now) travel, so with a kid eventually it's not possible for us BOTH to be away. She will either have to change career or we have to move. She may change careers anyway, who knows
5. This is a BIG move for career advancement. Like, years ahead of schedule. Seems REALLY hard to turn down $100K + big advancement at my age.
6. Resistance to moving is based on a few things. 1) We are currently close to my parents 2) We really like our friends and network here 3) I grew up in the area so am very comfortable 4) the new place is my LEAST favorite city in our state.

Questions:
1. All I can come up with is either even MORE money to lessen the pain and provide more ability for my wife to downshift career, or some sort of flex travel arrangement. They are currently working remote like most, but signaled strong resistance to anything less than "3-4" days a week in the office. I'm thinking of offering a full week a month, as opposed to a few days every week week just to cut down on the back and forth. What else could I ask for to lessen the geography pain?
2. Would it be slimy to agree to a level of travel I'm not comfortable with for now, and basically plan on fighting back in 6 or whatever more months when it seems likely things would be back to normal? (Obviously no one has a crystal ball on this). I sort of figure if my first few months are remote and effective, I have a good argument to keep things going
3. Part of this job would require me to build (and subsequently manage) a team. I don't think being geo-flexible is going to hurt my ability to do this - am I being naive? I may run into this same issue when I'm recruiting - they may want to be remote too
4. Do we "need" the money? We don't spend what we have now and are well on track for financial independence, retirement, etc. But money = options, and with plans to start a family soon and uncertainty with wife's career...... (especially if I take this role)
5. Is there something I haven't considered? What are my blind spots?
Tingting1013

Re: Weigh in on job decision

Post by Tingting1013 »

Ask for more money and an agreed upon “in-person once a month” schedule.

As ex-MBB in your 30s, you should be well into the 300s. Good luck.
buzzbee

Post by buzzbee »

They aren't open to me being fully remote
Did they say why? In this age of COVID, I'm surprised that is their policy. How's the culture? What does Glassdoor say?

The reason I ask is because it seems incredibly narrow-minded to have a policy like that. It might be a yellow flag as to other aspects of their culture.
jmg229

Post by jmg229 »

I had a similar experience not so long ago, where a position I was very interested in and that would've been a big step forward for my career wanted me in a different city hours away and where my partner could not/did not way to move at the time. I managed to get them to agree to a trial period remote for about a year with me coming into the office about a week a month (they paid). During that time we'd see how it went and there was an expectation that I would try to make the move work for my family. When the year was up, I had become much more interested in moving to the city than I had expected, having been there so much and gotten a different feel for it. It still wasn't working for my spouse's career, so, now with a year of strong performance behind me, we tried to work out some sort of flex travel arrangement (more often, me taking on more of the expenses for it) in exchange for a salary increase to incentivize the family difficulty it was sure to create. They decided to keep the status quo (me remote, in the office a week a month) for a while longer. Pressure eventually grew to make the move, my partner got a dream position elsewhere in the country, and I moved on, using that role as a stepping stone.

My overall experience was, I could get them working with me on something that would work with an expectation to reevaluate in the future, and when the future came, my performance only gave me more leverage to re-negotiate.

A couple other random thoughts: I started this job at a similar age as you right as our first kid was born. The travel for those two years was rough. The role had a lot of other travel too, but needing to unexpectedly go to the home office on short notice when **** hit the fan occasionally was rough on our relationship and was part of the decision to move on after only 2 years and change. I also began to build out a team in those years and taking on others from elsewhere in the company who I knew and had worked with worked great, no issues with being remote; hiring on new people to the company, when they were in the office with everyone else and I wasn't, didn't go as well. I feel like some of my peers picked up on small issues with acclimating that I couldn't because I wasn't there and it just made for a bit of a weird dynamic.
jmg229

Post by jmg229 »

buzzbee wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm Did they say why? In this age of COVID, I'm surprised that is their policy. How's the culture? What does Glassdoor say?

The reason I ask is because it seems incredibly narrow-minded to have a policy like that. It might be a yellow flag as to other aspects of their culture.
This also resonates. It ultimately ended up being a bit of a flag as to the general culture of the place in my experience. That said, it worked out great for me as stepping stone after a couple of years, having negotiated a situation that I could make work for my life.
oldfort

Post by oldfort »

Decline the job outright unless you can get your wife onboard. You can't have a 6 hour commute everyday and find time to sleep. You can't stay in a hotel 5 nights a week with a newborn, have a spouse with a full time job, and act surprised when your wife serves you with divorce papers.
Willmunny

Post by Willmunny »

Based on what you state, if it were me, I would offer to come into the office for a couple overnights per month (4 days in the office per month - two hotel nights per month) and the remainder remote. I would tell them that if they can't do that or something similar, you are flattered by their interest but it is not something you and your family will be able to do.

You have a solid financial footing and, with that, I wouldn't uproot my life for a 50% pay increase.
BV3273

Post by BV3273 »

Willmunny wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:57 pm Based on what you state, if it were me, I would offer to come into the office for a couple overnights per month (4 days in the office per month - two hotel nights per month) and the remainder remote. I would tell them that if they can't do that or something similar, you are flattered by their interest but it is not something you and your family will be able to do.

You have a solid financial footing and, with that, I wouldn't uproot my life for a 50% pay increase.
+1

If they want you that bad make them work for it.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

You have the type of income and net worth now that should allow you to decline opportunities like this one that aren’t a good fit. This sounds like it’s not a good fit—away, will require wife to change career, you dislike the new location. Sounds like more of what you don’t really need in exchange for a lot of what you aren’t prepared to give.
Topic Author
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

buzzbee wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:29 pm
They aren't open to me being fully remote
Did they say why? In this age of COVID, I'm surprised that is their policy. How's the culture? What does Glassdoor say?

It's a small company growing quickly, getting pretty aggressive, and that's just kind of the way its always been done. I suspect that they may re-evaluate this in the future (like many companies with this stance), but aren't "there" yet. Or not "there" enough to promise it to a new senior exec they haven't worked with before. They did say some flex was possible - hence the initial 3-4 days a week talk. I bet they could kind of talk themselves into 2-3 days a week as well, but even that isn't tenable to me. I sort of had the light bulb of realizing its about minimizing the back and forth, not necessarily the days there.
Topic Author
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

jmg229 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:35 pm My overall experience was, I could get them working with me on something that would work with an expectation to reevaluate in the future, and when the future came, my performance only gave me more leverage to re-negotiate.
Thanks for sharing, wanted to pick up a bit on the above. I've also had this thought, but am worried about being disingenuous counting on that going in. Overreaction?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

You shouldn't take the job if you're going to be miserable. It sounds like a place you don't want to be, geographically. Staying put because the spouse wants to stay put is 100% reasonable.

Maybe you should take this offer to your current employer, get a raise from them, and stay put.

If the new company juices the offer enough to get you to take it, there is always a risk that you will end up hating the new job and want to leave. Or worse yet, their expectations for you might be so high or unreasonable that it will be impossible to satisfy them.

It's a tough choice. I wish you the best of luck.
portfolio123

Post by portfolio123 »

Agreed with others that no way a commute that long or even 2-3 days per week in office where you stay overnight is going to be reasonable - especially if you're planning to have kids.

See if they would let you do a few days a month in office and/or come in for big meetings. It's hard to pass up a 50% jump for sure, but keep in mind that there may be other opportunities for this in the future that better fit into your lifestyle. Also, THEY WANT YOU and you already have solid income and existing savings, so I wouldn't be making a decision for financial purposes entirely if it's going to uproot a life you already love in a significant way. Said another way, you'll likely live a more enjoyable life at $380K household income where you love where you live and have a short commute (while being financially independent) vs. a super long commute and/or you hate where you live with an extra $100K income. Like, how is that $100K going to make your life that much better vs. existing life (good problem to have).

Aside - is there an area between where you are now and this new job you could move to that you might enjoy? e.g., maybe it's 30-60 minute commute to the office each day, but you're still not super far from your current town.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

I think you need to really try to understand if they'd be fine with you only coming in 1 week a month. It's still not ideal if you are going to have kids soon though.

Are you both planning to work after having a baby? Since you both have similar high income careers, you need consider how this impacts her career if you both continue to work. Your household income will go from 380k to 480k but marginal taxes are high so you might make an extra 50-65k? At some point your other considerations (location, less travel, stress, etc) become much more important.

Are there similar opportunities in your current location? If so, I'd lean towards turning down this job in a location you don't prefer.
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

8foot7 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:54 pm You have the type of income and net worth now that should allow you to decline opportunities like this one that aren’t a good fit. This sounds like it’s not a good fit—away, will require wife to change career, you dislike the new location. Sounds like more of what you don’t really need in exchange for a lot of what you aren’t prepared to give.
100%. You already have an income and net worth greater than 99% of the people your age. Different strokes for different folks but why would you throw away all of the positives you have for an extra $100k a year? If you were going from $75 to 150 I would maybe understand but you're in the area of diminishing returns IMO.

Choose a great well rounded life over living/working somewhere you hate and forcing your wife to make decisions fully based on what you want. My two cents
EDosi

Post by EDosi »

Too many negatives for my liking. I would decline the offer. Good luck!
Topic Author
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

PowderDay9 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:38 am I think you need to really try to understand if they'd be fine with you only coming in 1 week a month. It's still not ideal if you are going to have kids soon though.

Are you both planning to work after having a baby? Since you both have similar high income careers, you need consider how this impacts her career if you both continue to work. Your household income will go from 380k to 480k but marginal taxes are high so you might make an extra 50-65k? At some point your other considerations (location, less travel, stress, etc) become much more important.

Are there similar opportunities in your current location? If so, I'd lean towards turning down this job in a location you don't prefer.
RE: taxes. That's a REALLY good point - I was so focused on the geographic / lifestyle question I sort of took the 100K at face value. With the jump from 24% to 35% tax bracket (standard deduction + maxed 401Ks), I'm seeing a 65K increase in net income. That makes it a lot less attractive. Then when I start subtracting differences in benefits (e.g., lower match), any money spent on a secondary location (good chance I can stay with a friend, but I would obviously give them something), etc I'm starting to look at only $50K. THEN the unknowable effect on wife's earning power (she again may choose to switch career or stay home with kids regardless of this decsion) -- all of a sudden, this looks a lot less attractive. Again, I like the job and think I would enjoy it / be excited, but that's a lot of change and risk and stress for an extra $50K. You may have killed this

I'll probably talk about what I want from a flexibility perspective first - if that's a non-starter, then comp negotiation isn't even worth it. If I can pass that hurdle, I still have an out if I can't negotiate the comp once I have all the facts (again, haven't gotten offer in hand)
Tingting1013

Post by Tingting1013 »

MBB_Boy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:23 am
PowderDay9 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:38 am I think you need to really try to understand if they'd be fine with you only coming in 1 week a month. It's still not ideal if you are going to have kids soon though.

RE: taxes. That's a REALLY good point - I was so focused on the geographic / lifestyle question I sort of took the 100K at face value. With the jump from 24% to 35% tax bracket (standard deduction + maxed 401Ks), I'm seeing a 65K increase in net income. That makes it a lot less attractive. Then when I start subtracting differences in benefits (e.g., lower match), any money spent on a secondary location (good chance I can stay with a friend, but I would obviously give them something), etc I'm starting to look at only $50K. THEN the unknowable effect on wife's earning power (she again may choose to switch career or stay home with kids regardless of this decsion) -- all of a sudden, this looks a lot less attractive. Again, I like the job and think I would enjoy it / be excited, but that's a lot of change and risk and stress for an extra $50K. You may have killed this

I'll probably talk about what I want from a flexibility perspective first - if that's a non-starter, then comp negotiation isn't even worth it. If I can pass that hurdle, I still have an out if I can't negotiate the comp once I have all the facts (again, haven't gotten offer in hand)
This is a bit short sighted.

Which is more likely to take you to $500k and above, your current job or the new job?

Again, you are ex-MBB. Your ticket is punched. Now you just need to cash in.
leeks

Post by leeks »

EDosi wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:08 am Too many negatives for my liking. I would decline the offer. Good luck!
+1
toocold

Post by toocold »

As an x-MBB, I moved to take such opportunities (with a supportive wife). I would consider this less about comp and more about career trajectory. 30s is when your career should accelerate, landing you a spot to run a business unit or a C title or higher, depending on how big the company is, your level of interest, and luck. Past mid-40s, the trajectory gets tougher and narrower. Good luck with your decision.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

To me, it seems your net worth is such that these types of decisions shouldn’t be solely or even mostly based on compensation. As others have mentioned, I don’t think the offer is worth it from a comp perspective, given the effects the job likely would have on your personal/family life.

I do think you probably should view job offers mostly as a matter of career advancement and what will be the best opportunity to move in the direction you want, whatever that is.

If you like the current offer for the career advancement aspects, then maybe look for other opportunities in your current geographic area. If you and your wife aren’t willing to move to the area where this current offer is located, I don’t think it’s worth taking the job, unless maybe it could be fully remote or they agree to allow you to come into the office one week per month, but maybe even that sort of arrangement isn’t ideal.

ETA: it sounds like you have received confirmation from your current employer that there are no advancement options there or there are very unlikely to be any. I think that’s good data. If you want advancement opportunities, then now you know that you need to be looking for another job. Where and which job will depend on various factors, such as future plans and personal goals.

It sounds like you and your wife need to figure out what you want for both of your careers and your family planning, and then assess which moves will best facilitate those plans/desires.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

toocold wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:37 am As an x-MBB, I moved to take such opportunities (with a supportive wife). I would consider this less about comp and more about career trajectory. 30s is when your career should accelerate, landing you a spot to run a business unit or a C title or higher, depending on how big the company is, your level of interest, and luck. Past mid-40s, the trajectory gets tougher and narrower. Good luck with your decision.
very true

have worked for a mega-corp for a long time and can verify this. once you pass up a 'prime' opportunity or two -- they will stop asking because you have positioned yourself as a 'homesteader'

the question is more about work / life than it is about $$. you need to assess your marriage and prospective family situation and see how the next 24-36 months could likely play out.

my advice would be -- if your marriage is strong and like-minded -- take it and bank it. that lays out a whole new set of opportunities in 36 months assuming you are successful. the point of 'the grind' in your 30s is to set you up to make decisions in your 40s and 50s on YOUR terms

if all you're going to do with enhanced compensation however is squander it on 'lifestyle creep'-- then no amount of pay increase is of significant value

you have some significant debt that I'm sure you are keen to pay off sooner than later
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

The only other thing I would say is, with some rare exceptions, work/life balance does not improve the further up the ladder you get. Your career is either your primary focus or a years-long means to an end. If the latter, then at some point you have Enough. You and your wife should figure out when that would be.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Family: Just DW and I, younger 30s. No kids, but plan to put a bun in the oven next year
6. Resistance to moving is based on a few things. 1) We are currently close to my parents 2) We really like our friends and network here 3) I grew up in the area so am very comfortable 4) the new place is my LEAST favorite city in our state.
This stood out to me. As one gets older, things like this far outweigh extra compensation IMO.

(Echo - for 100k taxed down to 50-65k as referenced above.....)

Good luck w/ your decision.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

removed now that OP has read and received feedback.
Last edited by BogleFan510 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Tingting1013 wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:33 am
MBB_Boy wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:23 am

This is a bit short sighted.

Which is more likely to take you to $500k and above, your current job or the new job?

Again, you are ex-MBB. Your ticket is punched. Now you just need to cash in.
Thanks for the comment. Neither one will take me to 500K above on its own, but the new position is at least a step in that direction and the possible foundation for such a move later.

So are you saying you would take the position? Or is your point more that I should be looking for moves in this direction, if not with this position then another one?
Topic Author
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

toocold wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:37 am As an x-MBB, I moved to take such opportunities (with a supportive wife). I would consider this less about comp and more about career trajectory. 30s is when your career should accelerate, landing you a spot to run a business unit or a C title or higher, depending on how big the company is, your level of interest, and luck. Past mid-40s, the trajectory gets tougher and narrower. Good luck with your decision.
Thanks for weighing in. If nothing else, this may be a sign that I should do a search and see what's out there. This opportunity came to me out of the blue when I wasn't looking - maybe a search helps me find something similar that's a better fit. But as you point out, the clock is ticking and its probably time to make a move
Topic Author
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

BogleFan510 wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:37 am
mr_brightside wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 am
very true

have worked for a mega-corp for a long time and can verify this. once you pass up a 'prime' opportunity or two -- they will stop asking because you have positioned yourself as a 'homesteader'

the question is more about work / life than it is about $$. you need to assess your marriage and prospective family situation and see how the next 24-36 months could likely play out.

my advice would be -- if your marriage is strong and like-minded -- take it and bank it. that lays out a whole new set of opportunities in 36 months assuming you are successful. the point of 'the grind' in your 30s is to set you up to make decisions in your 40s and 50s on YOUR terms

if all you're going to do with enhanced compensation however is squander it on 'lifestyle creep'-- then no amount of pay increase is of significant value

you have some significant debt that I'm sure you are keen to pay off sooner than later
Good post. Opportunities will come and go, but it seems you need to decide on your trajectory. Only you can decide where you want to go, but you are fortunate to have many options. This will not be your 'one shot.'

* My first point is that you will be financially secure regardless. Keep that in mind. The pay level you are targeting creates more wealth than is necessary for a good life.
* The second point is that the capitalist system will tempt you with power, fame and money forever. The mindless beast always wants your productive labor and what it demands in return is lifestyle, family time, freedom. It is up to you to tame this beast.
* My third point is that your ego, the part driving you to succeed, will have regrets and what ifs. It is inevitable.

You are in control though. Be clear about what works for you and it will be fine, regardless.
Thanks a lot. Your post (and the ones quoted) really weighed on me, and thanks for sharing your experience. Among the themes coming out in the thread is that this won't be the only time I'm faced with a decision like this / this likely won't be the only opportunity. I'm starting to wonder if the fact that this came as a surprise / through my network created a sense of attachment / ego that is making this seem more attractive than it is.

Will do some thinking on this - would I feel this way if I had come across this while doing a search? Or would I have dismissed it as soon as I saw that it wasn't local (the way I dismiss other opportunities that I've seen).
Last edited by MBB_Boy on Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Thanks all - going to talk to the woman tomorrow and hold the line on full remote. If no go, then no go. It's where I was on Thursday anyway, and more money doesn't solve the fundamental issue regarding geography and lifestyle. As many of you pointed out, I have plenty of money.

But because more money is more options, and I obviously am feeling a bit restless to advance, I will be starting a search for opportunities regardless. If nothing else, this forced a conversation with current company that revealed I basically have nowhere to go here. A great opportunity popped up with no action on my part - that's a good sign that there's probably other jobs out there that can advance my career if I actually look for them. And if not......I am still in a good position!
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

MBB_Boy wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:58 pm Thanks all - going to talk to the woman tomorrow and hold the line on full remote. If no go, then no go. It's where I was on Thursday anyway, and more money doesn't solve the fundamental issue regarding geography and lifestyle. As many of you pointed out, I have plenty of money.

But because more money is more options, and I obviously am feeling a bit restless to advance, I will be starting a search for opportunities regardless. If nothing else, this forced a conversation with current company that revealed I basically have nowhere to go here. A great opportunity popped up with no action on my part - that's a good sign that there's probably other jobs out there that can advance my career if I actually look for them. And if not......I am still in a good position!
Sounds like a good plan. But, if the new company agrees to 100% remote, will you take it, or will you still look for different/better opportunities?

I'm all for doing what's best for you, but pursuing the very best career opportunity for you will probably require a compromise someplace. Either moving, tough hours, frequent travel, or something like that. If possible, figure out with your wife what compromises you guys are willing to make, and which ones you just can't tolerate.

Again, best of luck to you. Looks like you have a bright future ahead of you.