Mortgage for Retiree?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
March2009

Mortgage for Retiree?

Post by March2009 »

If I'm a retiree with $3M in investments and no debt, approximately how much mortgage could I qualify for? Also do asset depletion mortgages have about the same interest rate as a regular mortgage?
In bear markets, stocks return to their rightful owners. - J.P. Morgan
cadreamer2015

Re: Mortgage for Retiree?

Post by cadreamer2015 »

The following is based on my experience getting an asset depletion mortgage and research on the subject: If your $3 million in investments are in retirement accounts, you should have a calculated income of $3 million divided by 30 years or $100,000 per year. They will qualify you for a mortgage based on usual qualification standards for that income income level. In my experience the interest rate was the same as other more conventional mortgages. Not every mortgage lender makes asset depletion mortgages. They are generally not sold by the originator into the secondary market - they are more commonly held in the originating institution’s portfolio.

My advice is to identify a couple of institutions that do asset depletion mortgages and start talking to them early in the process. The paperwork required is more than a conventional mortgage and the loan approval process takes a bit more time. But it is certainly doable.
De gustibus non est disputandum
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

March2009 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:38 pm If I'm a retiree with $3M in investments and no debt, approximately how much mortgage could I qualify for? Also do asset depletion mortgages have about the same interest rate as a regular mortgage?
Last year we qualified for a mortgage based on income of SS , very small pension , & our most recent RMDs from our retirement accounts - additional asset depletion amounts were superfluous in our case - my advice is to provide your lending institution(s) with everything they ask for and see what happens - underwriting departments have certain debt/income benchmarks but they also have some discretion - the rate we got was the same as a regular mortgage .
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Are you a 36 y.o. retiree or a 66 y.o. retiree?
Rocket science is not “rocket science” to a rocket scientist, just as personal finance is not “rocket science” to a Boglehead.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

As mentioned by a poster above , it is true that not all lenders will consider assets in their underwriting process for loan qualification but , for lenders that do, I don't think it's generally true that they merely divide a borrower's assets by 30 to produce another income component .
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

March2009 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:38 pm If I'm a retiree with $3M in investments and no debt, approximately how much mortgage could I qualify for? Also do asset depletion mortgages have about the same interest rate as a regular mortgage?
My wife and I applied for an asset depletion mortgage from US Bank last summer.

We were approved for a jumbo ARM, 20% down in 5 days.
The bank considered:
Investment income
Wife’s pension
Social Security
No RMDs yet.
delamer

Post by delamer »

cadreamer2015 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:59 pm The following is based on my experience getting an asset depletion mortgage and research on the subject: If your $3 million in investments are in retirement accounts, you should have a calculated income of $3 million divided by 30 years or $100,000 per year. They will qualify you for a mortgage based on usual qualification standards for that income income level. In my experience the interest rate was the same as other more conventional mortgages. Not every mortgage lender makes asset depletion mortgages. They are generally not sold by the originator into the secondary market - they are more commonly held in the originating institution’s portfolio.

My advice is to identify a couple of institutions that do asset depletion mortgages and start talking to them early in the process. The paperwork required is more than a conventional mortgage and the loan approval process takes a bit more time. But it is certainly doable.
I think they generally only consider 70% of assets to account for market fluctuations: https://www.kiplinger.com/article/retir ... tgage.html
sawdust60

Post by sawdust60 »

A credit union can also be good. Sometimes loans are kept in house. Regardless of your lender, ask to speak with someone experienced with loans for retirees and/or asset based loans. 'Loan officers' know how to qualify borrowers based on monthly income, but the rules are more complex for qualifying borrowers when assets are the basis for repayment. It likely becomes an exercise in calculating a monthly income equivalent.

I also found that SS does not count, unless you are already drawing it. Somewhat true for IRA accounts, if you are not making withdrawals. But there is a formula lenders can follow for IRA balances. Another anomaly is that Roth conversions count, as they are reported as income on the tax return.

This program might be of interest, if you have some funds in after tax brokerage account. Up to 100% financing.
https://mlaem.fs.ml.com/content/dam/ML/ ... ayment.pdf

-- from another thread --
galawdawg wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Here are the underwriting guidelines for both Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac. They will outline what is acceptable for income verification.

https://selling-guide.fanniemae.com/Sel ... Borrowers/
https://guide.freddiemac.com/app/guide/topic/5300

BFR

Post by BFR »

From what I can gather, on asset depletion mortgages, the banks will give you leverage equal to 20-25% of your net worth.
bberris

Post by bberris »

schachtw wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:14 pm

The bank considered:
Investment income
Wife’s pension
Social Security
No RMDs yet.
These are regular income that would be counted in any loan. Are you saying that these were in addition to consideration of assets?
schachtw

Post by schachtw »

bberris wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:14 am
schachtw wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:14 pm

The bank considered:
1. Investment income (taxable & tax deferred)
2. Wife’s pension
3. Social Security
No RMDs yet.
These are regular income that would be counted in any loan. Are you saying that these were in addition to consideration of assets?
Correction/clarification:
We’re both retired, no earned income.
Our mortgage was approved on the basis of the three items listed above, plus our net worth (forth item considered).

Sorry for the omission.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

As has been noted already, retirees can get a mortgage, but many lenders aren't interested. It can be a trying process.

I'm wondering why you would want a mortgage in retirement as having one increases your sequence of returns risk by making poor returns even worse via leverage.
“It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.” J.R.R. Tolkien,The Lord of the Rings
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

One reason for wanting a mortgage in retirement might be if essentially all your assets are in pre-tax retirement accounts, a several hundred thousand dollar withdrawal from those accounts will put you in a much higher tax bracket, plus put you in a higher IRMAA tier for at least a year.
De gustibus non est disputandum