Considering relocation to Connecticut, seeking general relo advice

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
pingizzle

Considering relocation to Connecticut, seeking general relo advice

Post by pingizzle »

Hi all -

I have been offered a new role within our business and am being asked to relocate from Austin, Tx to the Hartford Connecticut area. I have not seen the proposed compensation package yet, but in preparation for that discussion I am trying to get my head around the differences in cost of living between the two.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an easy way to frame up and compare the cost of living differences? I can find the basics like Tax rates, housing cost, etc. and have also done some googling, but the sites I found have a wide variances between them.

Any advice is much appreciated.
pshonore

Re: Considering relocation to Connecticut, seeking general relo advice

Post by pshonore »

Hartford and Central CT has been in the economic doldrums for the last 30 years. Unlike TX we have an income tax (~ 4.5%) and a sales tax of 6.35%. Property taxes vary by town but are probably less than Austin. Schools are generally excellent except for the large cities. Traffic is not heavy unless you're in lower Fairfield county. Local airport is highly rated. Energy is not cheap (around 20 cents per kW). Figure on using AC in July and August. Today is dry and sunny - temp around 70 degrees with a lot of Fall color.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

For me I always find it best to build my own spreadsheet in a situation like this. I want something specific to my situation not generic. As an example I would spend a little bit of time researching housing in CT and use an actual monthly rent or purchase price for something that I would buy rather than a formula that says housing in Hartford is X% of Austin. I would not worry about price of gas per gallon unless I was buying thousands of gallons per year (long commute).

Is this for your own budgeting purposes or do you have an opportunity to negotiate an incentive or raise when you accept the transfer? Will your employer provide any relocation benefits? If you will negotiate an incentive remember that its taxable income so bump up your ask by your federal and state tax rate.
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

Here’s a link to Cost of Living comparison. Others may post about culture, climate and quality of life issues.

https://www.bestplaces.net/cost-of-livi ... d-ct/95000
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Compared to Austin, Hartford is an armpit. I know. I lived there for a while. The comp would have to be awfully generous for me to consider a move!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Connecticut has huge differences from one town to the next or even from one section of town to the next. Prince of Bel Air in one town, resident of Compton in the next. Are you actually working right in "Hartford" or just somewhere in the region. Big difference between East Hartford and West Hartford. Are you actually working IN Hartford, or maybe Farmington or Windsor Locks or Wallingford? If you work farther north (Bloomfield, Simsbury, Windsor Locks), you might want to consider living over the border in Mass as prices drop significantly.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
pingizzle

Post by pingizzle »

Office is in West Hartford. I am looking at houses West and North of there.
Topic Author
pingizzle

Post by pingizzle »

Outer Marker wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:28 am Compared to Austin, Hartford is an armpit. I know. I lived there for a while. The comp would have to be awfully generous for me to consider a move!
It is a big jump and I think very generous comp! That is part of the struggle, Austin is great and have never lived in the Northeast.
prd1982

Post by prd1982 »

CT has 169 towns with their own schools, police, and property tax rates. here are the town property tax rates from 2019: https://patch.com/connecticut/southbury ... -pays-most

Sadly, school quality varies greatly.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

pingizzle wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:50 am
Outer Marker wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:28 am Compared to Austin, Hartford is an armpit. I know. I lived there for a while. The comp would have to be awfully generous for me to consider a move!
It is a big jump and I think very generous comp! That is part of the struggle, Austin is great and have never lived in the Northeast.
In fairness, Hartford is not awful and it is within 2-3 hours drive of NYC, Boston, Skiing in VT, etc. Its just that Hartford itself does not have a lot to offer. I didn't hate my time there, but was glad when it came time to move somewhere more exciting.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

pingizzle wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:47 am Office is in West Hartford. I am looking at houses West and North of there.
There are plenty of nice houses in West Hartford, although the place is almost fully developed. Farmington, Avon and Simsbury are the big money towns. Burlington, Canton and Granby are a little more rural to the West and North. All of them have excellent schools and there are a bunch of private schools in the area as well. East of the CT River is Glastonbury and a few more down Rt 2, but while getting through Hartford in the morning is doable, living West is better if the office is in West Hartford.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

pingizzle wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:47 am Office is in West Hartford. I am looking at houses West and North of there.
There are some nice areas out there. I'd recommend getting far enough out where it is no longer "urban." I had an apartment in West Hartford close to downtown. New Acura was stolen out of the complex parking garage. It showed up a few weeks later, stripped and in a parking lot in Springfield MA with more than 10,000 new miles on it. Cops thought it had been used for running drugs up from Florida. Bottom line: you want to be well outside the city.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Outer Marker wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:40 pm
There are some nice areas out there. I'd recommend getting far enough out where it is no longer "urban." I had an apartment in West Hartford close to downtown. New Acura was stolen out of the complex parking garage. It showed up a few weeks later, stripped and in a parking lot in Springfield MA with more than 10,000 new miles on it. Cops thought it had been used for running drugs up from Florida. Bottom line: you want to be well outside the city.
There has been a rash of car thefts in the CT suburbs. In a lot of cases, the key (or the fob) has been left in the car. The young folk evidently go up and down suburban streets and driveways at 3 am and lift door handles to see if the car is locked. If it is, they just go to the next house/car. Locking car doors is a easy way to prevent a lot of thefts. Motion activated security lights and cameras help as well.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

pshonore wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:55 pm There has been a rash of car thefts in the CT suburbs. In a lot of cases, the key (or the fob) has been left in the car. The young folk evidently go up and down suburban streets and driveways at 3 am and lift door handles to see if the car is locked. If it is, they just go to the next house/car. Locking car doors is a easy way to prevent a lot of thefts. Motion activated security lights and cameras help as well.
Its been a persistent rash! That was 1991 and the car was locked and secured. These guys were professionals, knew what they were doing, and defeated the locks and security system. Hartford and Springfield are long depressed, high crime areas. If you live out in the beautify countryside and commute in to work, you'll like be fine. But, coming from a vibrant downtown like Austin, its going to be a bit of culture shock. Just sayin' . . .
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

pingizzle wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 am Hi all -

I have been offered a new role within our business and am being asked to relocate from Austin, Tx to the Hartford Connecticut area. I have not seen the proposed compensation package yet, but in preparation for that discussion I am trying to get my head around the differences in cost of living between the two.

Does anyone have any suggestions on an easy way to frame up and compare the cost of living differences? I can find the basics like Tax rates, housing cost, etc. and have also done some googling, but the sites I found have a wide variances between them.

There's a couple good towns around Hartford itself. Mill rates 30-34.
Feel free to message me for town recommendations around the area.

Housing should be pretty inexpensive to Austin. The area itself is just sprawling suburbia.
Tax rates shouldn't be too bad relative to Austin. (I guess)

per Zillow Austin is 426 k average
Newington CT - 336k
Berlin CT - 290k
Cromwell CT 241k - a bit further, but a nice town.

Shoot me specific questions as they come up - I am in the area and have been since '98 or so.

Avon, CT has the best schools in the area (arguably) - but the drive stinks a bit. This depends obviously where you're going to be working.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

You're also moving in time for the winter, correct? :)
Not the best way to start if it's your first time in Nee England, haha.
unstartable

Post by unstartable »

Home prices vary significantly from town to town. If you're looking for a home in a "nice" suburban neighborhood with the best schools they start around $250,000. Most of the housing stock is on the older side. If you must have a new home that is over 2500 sq feet it's probably going to be significantly more expensive than that. I mostly agree with the stats posted, energy and food are probably a lot more expensive than Texas, and the housing costs are very variable.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Generally speaking you probably want to rent in the beginning anyways. See if CT/New England/Northeast is for you.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

Plenty of great towns to live in CT and commute to Hartford.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Hopefully the company is offering some kind of comprehensive relocation package? (not just physical move, but home sale/purchase assistance, paid visit to the new area, etc.) If so, make sure there is a gross up for any taxable benefits. You definitely need to go out and visit the area.
CPA without a cause

Post by CPA without a cause »

to me this isnt a financial decision, this is a lifestyle one. you are moving from somewhere warm year-round to somewhere with 4 seasons, but 3 of those 4 seasons i would consider cold. i lived in the area my whole life and never liked the cold. i actually just moved to florida and would never consider living in a cold climate again. but thats me.

the area itself, weather pending, is gorgeous. the hartford area has urban, suburban, and rural areas, all within reasonable drives of each other. if you like antique style houses then the housing stock will be up your alley. west hartford in particular has some gorgeous old houses from the early 1900's, and the arent too expensive to buy...but the property taxes can be insane (like $15k-$25k) per year. add that to the sales tax and income tax and that is why connecticut is net losing residents.

If i had to live in the northeast i would strongly consider the hartford area, rivaled only by the Worcester, MA area.

but again, i think this comes down to weather. how do you feel about being cold 8 months a year.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

CPA without a cause wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:24 pm to me this isnt a financial decision, this is a lifestyle one.
That really hits the nail on the head. I grew up in Vermont, love to ski, don't mind cold, etc. But, you almost couldn't pay me enough to move to Hartford. Its boring. I went to Grad school in New Orleans and loved it. Austin, although I've never been there, seems to have a lot in common with a great music, culture and restaurant scene. Hartford is nothing like that. Think Applebees for your meals out and "nice" restaurants being upscale B&B type Inn settings. Very old New England.

I'd have to budget a lot for regular weekend trips to NYC and BOS to get what I need.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

CPA without a cause wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:24 pm to me this isnt a financial decision, this is a lifestyle one. you are moving from somewhere warm year-round to somewhere with 4 seasons, but 3 of those 4 seasons i would consider cold. i lived in the area my whole life and never liked the cold. i actually just moved to florida and would never consider living in a cold climate again. but thats me.

the area itself, weather pending, is gorgeous. the hartford area has urban, suburban, and rural areas, all within reasonable drives of each other. if you like antique style houses then the housing stock will be up your alley. west hartford in particular has some gorgeous old houses from the early 1900's, and the arent too expensive to buy...but the property taxes can be insane (like $15k-$25k) per year. add that to the sales tax and income tax and that is why connecticut is net losing residents.

If i had to live in the northeast i would strongly consider the hartford area, rivaled only by the Worcester, MA area.

but again, i think this comes down to weather. how do you feel about being cold 8 months a year.
Some of us seems to less susceptible to cold it seems. I'm 'only' cold 4 months per year in the area :)
Dale_G

Post by Dale_G »

I lived just east of Hartford for 52 years. The positives for the Hartford area are:

1. The weather is decent in late spring, most of the summer and in early fall.

2. There are plenty of good pizza joints almost everywhere and a variety of good Italian restaurants in the Franklin Avenue area of Hartford, although I wouldn't go there at night.

3. No other positives come to mind.

The negatives: Suffice it to say that businesses have been moving out of CT for decades, and CT is only 1 of 7 States that is seeing a population decline.

For sure, there are some nice areas away from Hartford proper, but in the long term, I have little hope for the State, and I will never return there.

Dale
Volatility is my friend
Topic Author
pingizzle

Post by pingizzle »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:02 pm

Hopefully the company is offering some kind of comprehensive relocation package? (not just physical move, but home sale/purchase assistance, paid visit to the new area, etc.) If so, make sure there is a gross up for any taxable benefits. You definitely need to go out and visit the area.
Yes, the package offered is a full relocation package as described. We are planning on making a trip to visit mid November.
Topic Author
pingizzle

Post by pingizzle »

CPA without a cause wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 4:24 pm to me this isnt a financial decision, this is a lifestyle one. you are moving from somewhere warm year-round to somewhere with 4 seasons, but 3 of those 4 seasons i would consider cold. i lived in the area my whole life and never liked the cold. i actually just moved to florida and would never consider living in a cold climate again. but thats me.

Should have noted this earlier, I am originally from Utah, so actually really enjoy winter, snow skiing etc. Truth be told I much prefer seasonality. Austin is great in the winter, but the summers have been absolutely brutal here the past several years.
Topic Author
pingizzle

Post by pingizzle »

Dale_G wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:25 am I lived just east of Hartford for 52 years. The positives for the Hartford area are:

1. The weather is decent in late spring, most of the summer and in early fall.

2. There are plenty of good pizza joints almost everywhere and a variety of good Italian restaurants in the Franklin Avenue area of Hartford, although I wouldn't go there at night.

3. No other positives come to mind.

The negatives: Suffice it to say that businesses have been moving out of CT for decades, and CT is only 1 of 7 States that is seeing a population decline.

For sure, there are some nice areas away from Hartford proper, but in the long term, I have little hope for the State, and I will never return there.

Dale
This is a great point. I am most concerned about the long term viability of the Connecticut economy and how that may affect home/property values as well as opportunities for my children. Appreciate the advice and responses.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

pingizzle wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:52 am I am most concerned about the long term viability of the Connecticut economy and how that may affect home/property values as well as opportunities for my children. Appreciate the advice and responses.
Its a little more complicated than that. CT is one of the wealthiest states in the country, per capita:
1 District of Columbia $45,877
2 Connecticut $39,373
3 New Jersey $37,288
4 Massachusetts $36,593

That wealth is, however, very unevenly spread. If you work in the financial industry with one of the big insurances companies in Hartford, or are an investment banker in Stamford, you're extremely wealthy. But, there are a lot of downtrodden and displaced blue collar workers, and the community as a whole is not thriving. Unlike Texas, where everyone seems to be doing reasonably well.

If this is a great professional opportunity, title advancement, etc. you might want to consider it for a few years with an eye towards moving up and moving around. Just for me, personally, I would not want to plan on living in the Hartford area for the long term.
jimmac9

Post by jimmac9 »

Your going to feel like a Salmon swimming upstream since everyone in CT is fleeing to Texas and Florida. I could have tunneled out of that state. The government regulates everything, and taxes it as well. I'm loving it in Florida

Search YouTube for why Joe Rogan hates CT, hes 100% on point.
dziuniek

Post by dziuniek »

Lots of hate for my state :)

The taxes do stink, but the property taxes are probably not that bad when compared to Austin.

As far as tax positive I can think of one of the top of my head:
You can deduct the 529 plan contributions up to $10,000 annually from your state income taxes.

Things that are kind of expensive here:
- electricity.

Though with your income, it's not that much of a consideration, I would imagine.

Someone mentioned their children's future job opportunities.
- pretty good schools overall.
- lots of opportunity in health.
- insurance industry, sure.
- some pharma opportunities.
- lots of opportunities for blue collar folks, idk why people say that's not the case. (lots of my friends work in manufacturing for $20-35 . hr + OT

Also, as far as children - NYC and Boston are close if your children decide to live in a big city. That's not a bad drive to visit them.

State schools are expensive in CT. I read a thread here recently how the average 4yr public college tuition is around $ 10k nationally.
UCONN - ct flagship public school 20-21 tuition per their website:

Storrs Main Campus In-State Out-of-State
Tuition $14,406 $37,074
University & Student Fees1 $3,428 $3,428 - the fees are mandatory.

So that's approx 18k/yr/kid right now.

You mention you enjoy seasons, go sooner rather than later and keep checking CT's travel advisory/ban/ whatever it's called - this sometimes changes week to week. (don't plan your trip too far out or get insurance / be able to fully cancel).
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

pingizzle wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:48 am Yes, the package offered is a full relocation package as described. We are planning on making a trip to visit mid November.
As of October 13, if you are visiting CT from TX you are required to complete a Travel Health Form and self-quarantine for 14 days. If that is still the case in mid-November, you would need to visit CT for more than two weeks in order to see anything outside of your hotel room.
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

As many others have noted, the lifestyle change here is probably as important as the money.

I would rather live in Hartford area (probably further east on 84) than Austin, but that's me. It's a really, really contrasting difference.
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I relocated from CA to NH. One thing I learned from a mentor is that your calculations are only as accurate as your input. I had a spreadsheet set up to compare but in the end I realize, there were a lot of unknowns in my new location like size of the house and how I would be heating it. If I'm going to put in an estimate here along with countless other things, should I bother with an calculation delta for my car registration and food budget.

In the end, the spreadsheet was so nebulous, that I just did a survey of cost of living calculators that I got off the web. That served me well enough. Once I got here, I realized property tax between towns varies more than it did in CA and is a much bigger factor than health cost differences. In other words, I knew nothing and cost of living calculators was as good for a comparison as my detailed spreadsheet.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

You can live a great suburban/country upper middle class life outside of Hartford. Schools in the right towns are great. Plenty of countryside living as well. There are beaches in RI and along the southern CT coast/Mystic. Skiing just a couple hours away. Boston and NY 2 hrs away. UConn for sports, XL center and the xfinity pavilion get all the major shows/concerts/tours.

It’s all about what life you want. If you want that suburban/country life. You can have exactly that. If you want a vibrant urban center with lots of culture you will not get anything like that.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

pingizzle wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:02 am

There are wide variations in cost of living in the Hartford area. CT has some of the most economically depressed cities and some of the wealthiest and toniest suburbs in America. It really depends where you choose to live.

You probably need to first explore the area thoroughly and decide where you would consider living and what you can afford, before you can compare cost of living.

Ultimately (and this is just my two cents, coming from a retiree) I would not let the tail wag the dog. CT is very different than TX. If you have a choice between living in CT or TX, first you should ask yourself where you and your family will be happiest (that could involve family, climate, recreation, politics, job situation, whatever is important to you). Only after answering that should you think about cost of living (since most people with jobs can afford to live almost anywhere in the US, the difference being size of home, neighborhood etc.) Make money. Don't let money make you.
Finnegan

Post by Finnegan »

I grew up in Connecticut, but left for Florida, never to return, in 2017. Boating on Long Island Sound is some of the best in the nation, but the property tax on my 2 BR condo hit a penny per minute and just kept climbing.There is one week in the spring and the fall when neither the furnace nor the air conditioner is running. The winters are arctic, the summers Saharan, leaf fall in autumn is measured in feet, and then there's the mud season.
Scooter57

Post by Scooter57 »

I spent 10 years in the Hartford suburbs from 1984-94. I moved there from Dallas. The worst part about Hartford is how hard it is to make friends with the locals. We would invite people over and they would never reciprocate. People had lived there all their lives and their social circle was their extended family and their friends from high school. The few friends we made had moved from elsewhere. We had a robust social life in Dallas.

I loved the natural beauty. We lived in Simsbury which had wonderful swimming pools for the kids and the is a great nature area in Canton. The ocean. is a readonable drive away. But culturally it was a vacuum. We would go up to Northampton MA, a 50 minute drive, to eat and hear music.

More recently there was a decent live music scene in the Springfield area with some original music and very good musicians before the Great Shutdown. That is accessible to Hartford suburbs.

If you are single Hartford is probably a very bad choice.
totallynotsure

Post by totallynotsure »

i wouldn't do it simply because i dislike the state of CT.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

totallynotsure wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:01 am i wouldn't do it simply because i dislike the state of CT.
What do you hate about the state? Is it the trees? There are certainly lots of trees in Connecticut. Do you hate the fact that they build the newest nuclear submarines at Electric Boat? Do you hate the mountains to the west? The ocean to the south? The homes of some of the richest people in the country? (sparky of instagram fame and his son live in Glastonbury. He owns many Paganis, a Koenigsegg and lots of Lamborghinis and Ferraris. He runs his own hedge fund)

Oh wait. It's the transportation engineers who designed I84 through Hartford. Yes, those people should be strung up by their thumbs. Or maybe its Yale, who should be heartily beaten by Harvard on the Charles annually.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Beehave

Post by Beehave »

pingizzle wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:50 am
In case it is any help - - -

Before retiring from IT work I used to handle critical situations in the Mid-Atlantic through Connecticut/upstate NY area for a mega-tech IT h/w and s/w provider. I dealt with clients who were, based on the circumstances, under pressure. I found the people in Connecticut (my experience was with some defense industry but the great majority insurance industry) to be class-acts who behaved with mature civility under pressure and genuine friendliness when the pressure subsided. Ditto for the local account teams within my company that would call me in to support them and who would host me.

I hope your experience with Connecticut is similar to mine - I enjoyed working with the folks there a lot.
drake19

Post by drake19 »

I am from TX and my husband's family lives in CT. West Hartford is great. Some great restaurants and amenities. Wonderful schools. If you are interested in living in another part of the country, Central CT is great for exploring New England. You are close to major urban centers like NYC and Boston as well as amazing outdoor recreation areas like vermont, new hampshire and maine. Since you are from the west, you will consider the entirety of New England within driving distance for trips. Biggest downside for me is cold weather. If you don't like Austin summers, central CT will seem like heaven in comparison. People are definitely friendlier in TX. You will have to be proactive to develop a friend group in CT.

If you are ready for a change, and the compensation is right, I would go for it. Sounds like you could benefit from the salary hike for a few years then move on for more money elsewhere, if that is what you want.
BionicBillWalsh

Post by BionicBillWalsh »

I’d personally take a pay cut to not have to move there.
Jerry Garcia: If I knew the way...I would take you home.