Selling home FSBO guide

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Bshowalter

Selling home FSBO guide

Post by Bshowalter »

Can anyone provide a link to a good guide for the paperwork required when selling a home FSBO? I have a home in WV inherited when my father passed away and I believe I am close to an agreement to sell it to my cousin.

I have a lawyer that I used when settling the estate. I plan to use him to review everything but wanted to get an idea on what to expect before contacting him.
jfn111

Re: Selling home FSBO guide

Post by jfn111 »

The paperwork required is slightly different in each state. Why not just have the attorney draw up the contract?
Topic Author
Bshowalter

Post by Bshowalter »

The sale will occur in WV. I can certainly have the attorney draw up a contract. I guess that is what I am asking, what do I need to ask the attorney to do and what else needs done to complete the sale? Do I have to find/hire a title agency to do a title search and perform the closing?

Most of the stuff I've found deals with listing and marketing a by owner sale. I'm looking for a step-by-step for what to do to complete the sale once I have a buyer and have agreed on price.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

https://fsbo.com/

Might be a good resource. They have contract packages for each state.

$99 non MLS.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

In my state, and I think it is similar in other states, you can find online and download the standard contract realtors use. That's what I would do. Have the lawyer make any additions/subtractions needed. I wouldn't have a lawyer reinventing the wheel. I've done that 3 times.
hand

Post by hand »

Have you considered a dedicated real-estate attorney? Seems like there might be some domain and location specific information that may not be best handled by your estate attorney - I'd pay the right expert so I didn't have to know what questions to ask.