Travel Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
rvflyer

Travel Insurance

Post by rvflyer »

Anyone have some info on best rates and coverage for travel protection insurance?

Will be renting a house in FL at Christmas for multiple families but our last advance payment is due mid October yet I have at least one family who may not make it due to work related scheduling issues that they will not know about until mid Nov. It could cause the entire effort to fold. Full refunds are not possible after mid October. I am nervous. This is a year chock full of surprises!

Thanks in advance.
user5027

Re: Travel Insurance

Post by user5027 »

Check out a site I've used...
https://www.squaremouth.com/
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

rvflyer wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:06 pm Anyone have some info on best rates and coverage for travel protection insurance?

Will be renting a house in FL at Christmas for multiple families but our last advance payment is due mid October yet I have at least one family who may not make it due to work related scheduling issues that they will not know about until mid Nov. It could cause the entire effort to fold. Full refunds are not possible after mid October. I am nervous. This is a year chock full of surprises!

Thanks in advance.
We strongly recommend www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But CALL them, don't just rely upon the online policy summaries, although those might be helpful for a quick overview.
The "fine print" can really matter, and the reps at TIS can ask a few questions, listen to what you are asking, and narrow down the relevant policies.

For future reference, the best choice of policies and benefits is usually available if coverage is started within 10-20 days (depending upon state) of making the *first* deposit. (Only the deposit would need to be insured then, not the full cost.). This is especially relevant for anyone needing coverage for pre-existing medical conditions (for medical care coverage or cancellation due to medical reasons).
It sounds like you might need "Cancel For Any Reason" coverage, and there's at least one insurer/policy (or there has been in the past) that can be purchased prior to final payment (narrowly defined).

We've had policies through TIS with Travel Insured, and we've had several claims, including a few relatively large claims, and never had hassles with them about payment.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

rvflyer wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:06 pm Anyone have some info on best rates and coverage for travel protection insurance?

Thanks in advance.
It sounds like what you are after is "cancel for any reason" travel insurance. Any other travel insurance is going to require you meet a covered reason for canceling (your family member not being able to make it due to work related scheduling won't likely be one of them). The cancel for any reason policies I have looked at all only cover 75% of the trip costs. If you purchase it and decide not to go, you'll be out the cost of the insurance ($500+/-) plus 25% of the trip cost. When I've looked at them in the past, I have decided it was not worth it. YMMV.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Thanks in advance.
What is it you are trying to insure? Airfare? Rental House?

What conditions are you trying to insure? One person's work situation? Pandemic?

Make sure that you are fully briefed on what the insurance will and will not cover. If it is a matter of covering someone's desire to not proceed with a trip because of work demands, pandemic fears, etc., then "Cancel for Any Reason" insurance may be the answer--an expensive answer--but one that will at least partially reimburse the claimant.

Agree with above poster that you should talk in detail with a broker about the exact situation you want to cover: "I want to buy insurance to cover our rental home in case my second cousin decides not to take the trip."

Good luck.