medicare advantage vs supplement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
superbobbyg

medicare advantage vs supplement

Post by superbobbyg »

Would appreciate opinions on medicare advantage options vs. medicare supplement G. Also expecting sign enroll in Medicare "D" for drugs.
Live in Michgan.

I am favoring the supplement "G" currently; expect to retire end of 2020. Turned 65 earlier this year.

Thanks
Colorado Guy

Re: medicare advantage vs supplement

Post by Colorado Guy »

You may want to look at this site for comparison purposes.

https://medicarewire.com/medicare-plans/county/26065/
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

superbobbyg wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:28 pm Would appreciate opinions on medicare advantage options vs. medicare supplement G. Also expecting sign enroll in Medicare "D" for drugs.
Live in Michgan.

I am favoring the supplement "G" currently; expect to retire end of 2020. Turned 65 earlier this year.

Thanks
I went with a supplemental plan instead of an advantage plan. I like the flexibility.

I went with Plan F because it is the most comprehensive. This also means you don't get nickeled and dimed and inundated with bills, like $20 everytime you enter a doctor's office. I switched from Plan N to F mostly because of that annoyance. I suspect it may have made life easier for the various doctors' billing offices as well.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Topic Author
superbobbyg

Post by superbobbyg »

Why over plan "G"?

Thanks for the reply-much appreciated.
Topic Author
superbobbyg

Post by superbobbyg »

Just read plan "F" not available in 2020 for new enrollees.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

superbobbyg wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:40 pm Why over plan "G"?

Thanks for the reply-much appreciated.
Part B deductible is not covered by G. Again, I see it mostly as a matter of convenience. Convenience is getting more and more valuable to me these days!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

I just went through this earlier this year, ended up with plan G supplement rather than MA. My choice was governed in the end by two things: (1) my preferred hospital did not accept any of the Medicare Advantage plans offered in my area, and (2) since I do quite a bit of traveling, I did not want to worry about whether the providers outside my immediate area would be “in network” if I ever needed care away from home. Your mileage may vary.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:00 pm I just went through this earlier this year, ended up with plan G supplement rather than MA. My choice was governed in the end by two things: (1) my preferred hospital did not accept any of the Medicare Advantage plans offered in my area, and (2) since I do quite a bit of traveling, I did not want to worry about whether the providers outside my immediate area would be “in network” if I ever needed care away from home. Your mileage may vary.
And my experience is exactly the opposite.

We went with MA. The plan that we chose covers basically all doctors and hospitals in our state. We don’t travel very much.

Our premium for the MA is zero. It has a very good drug plan, gym membership, dental and vision benefits, etc.

We may have a little higher copays. But that zero premium takes care of a lot of copays.

As oldcomputerguy says above, your mileage may vary.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

Great topic, we are just about one year away from Medicare. I was just looking at information a few hours ago re: MA vs Supplement.

I am leaning towards MA because our health insurance for the last dozen years or so has been HMO and we are comfortable with that structure (i.e. Primary Care Physician). I look forward to any additional input.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Toons

Post by Toons »

superbobbyg wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:28 pm Would appreciate opinions on medicare advantage options vs. medicare supplement G. Also expecting sign enroll in Medicare "D" for drugs.
Live in Michgan.

Thanks
Without
Elaborating a lot
Plan "G" wise choice :wink:
Youtube has some great videos on the lettered plans.
We use Walmart Humana Prescription D plan
13,20 a month for each of us :happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mevsp1L ... erBenefits
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Colorado Guy

Post by Colorado Guy »

Stinky wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:30 pm
We went with MA. The plan that we chose covers basically all doctors and hospitals in our state. We don’t travel very much.

Our premium for the MA is zero. It has a very good drug plan, gym membership, dental and vision benefits, etc.

We may have a little higher copays. But that zero premium takes care of a lot of copays.

Which MA did you choose? I am in the midst of evaluating options myself.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Colorado Guy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:18 pm
Stinky wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:30 pm

Which MA did you choose? I am in the midst of evaluating options myself.
Blue Cross of Alabama. Only available in this state.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt
MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr »

With original Medicare, you may seek medical care anywhere in U.S. including nationally renowned doctors or clinics. However, if you ever want to switch from MA to original Medicare with supplement, most likely you will have to go through a medical underwriting. If you have developed health problems in the mean time, you may be out of luck.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

oldcomputerguy wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:00 pm I just went through this earlier this year, ended up with plan G supplement rather than MA. My choice was governed in the end by two things: (1) my preferred hospital did not accept any of the Medicare Advantage plans offered in my area, and (2) since I do quite a bit of traveling, I did not want to worry about whether the providers outside my immediate area would be “in network” if I ever needed care away from home. Your mileage may vary.
+1, this. It's exactly why I picked Plan G.
oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Toons wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:31 pm We use Walmart Humana Prescription D plan
13,20 a month for each of us :happy
I looked at Walmart's plan when I was evaluating my options, but decided to go with Wellcare (CVS). So far my experience with them has been a positive one.

A suggestion for the OP: when evaluating Part D plans, it's all too tempting to pick the cheapest one. But there are some other things to consider, including whether the plan covers any existing medications you're already taking (and at what level of coverage), as well as customer satisfaction with the plan (whether they promptly pay claims and whether they will work with you on covering otherwise uncovered but expensive meds that are medically necessary, for example). I'd suggest looking at medicare.gov and use their plan finder. It provides information on each plan offered in your area, along with giving you the chance to model how much your annual out-of-pocket will be based on your existing scripts.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)
scifilover

Post by scifilover »

We spend half the year away from our primary residence. So we have Supplement Plan G....we started with F but switched to G when plan F was closed to new entrants. If you travel much, MA doesn't work. Premiums for G are lower that F by more than the cost of the Plan B deductible.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

MA plans can be highly variable from location to location. Within an hour+ from me, there are excellent Advantage plans with few, if any restrictions and very low cost. In my rural area MA plans aren't even offered. There is no substitute for doing your own homework on the offerings in your geography. In some places, the SHIP coordinators are very well trained and can walk you through the various options in your area.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
palaheel

Post by palaheel »

We worked with a couple of insurance brokers (one local retail broker, one associated with megacorp's retirement bennies). The decision points from both were:

If you have health problems, traditional Medicare usually turns out better in the long run.

Once you pick a plan, changing can involve underwriting, whether you're changing the plan, or changing the insurance company. Health problems can complicate that.

MA plans are much more geographically limited.

We picked Plan G, and intend to stay with the chosen insurance company forever.
Markets crash. Markets recover. Inflation takes your money FOREVER.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Main concern for us is the provider panel and whether it has our doctors, including ones that we might use in the future. Clear that companies are pushing Advantage plans since they control the payouts.

Tim
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

DW and I have used HMOs since they came out, and now are covered by a Humana Medicare Advantage PPO.

We have never been in the position to have to buy insurance on our own, it has always been provided by the companies where we were employed, with modest premiums. When I went on LTD MegaCorp started paying 100% of our insurance, and they still do now that I am retired.

During most of our work careers we lived in Tampa, and I believe the HMO/PPO plans were better than someone might find in a rural area. Our plans have always had scads of doctors. Given the numbers of insured people in the metro areas, I think few doctors could afford to not be either in various networks, or willing to accept the payments from a HMO/PPO.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain
clemrick

Post by clemrick »

If you take any prescription medications, ALWAYS check your Part D plan every fall at medicare.gov. Plans change, covered medications and pharmacies change all the time. There can be dramatic change in prices between plans from year to year and even changing your pharmacy can affect your costs.
terran

Post by terran »

I ran across https://retireearlyhomepage.com/medicare2020.html the other day and thought it made a compelling case for supplement over advantage.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

I know the ability to see any Medicare doctor is usually a leading bonus for MedSupp over MA. Especially folks who travel.

But I can't stress enough though, to look at the Explanation of Coverage docs. I've seen at least 1 large, national provider offer a free "travel benefit" in their MA PPO plan, tucked away in their coverage documents, that allows you to see any network provider. Even outside your service area. So the local PPO is essentially a national PPO since you can see any of their network providers.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

runninginvestor wrote: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:41 am I know the ability to see any Medicare doctor is usually a leading bonus for MedSupp over MA. Especially folks who travel.

But I can't stress enough though, to look at the Explanation of Coverage docs. I've seen at least 1 large, national provider offer a free "travel benefit" in their MA PPO plan, tucked away in their coverage documents, that allows you to see any network provider. Even outside your service area. So the local PPO is essentially a national PPO since you can see any of their network providers.
Humana is like that as near as I can tell. Our in-network and out-of-network coverage is the same, no additional or larger co-pays, or other differences, as far as I can determine.

The only negative thing concerning a MA plan around my area happened a couple of years ago involved United Health Care MA plans as they started shrinking their network. I had UHC years ago, and my MIL had the UHC AARP plan when she lived with us. In her small town there were zero HMOs/PPOs. She was able to have a solid plan with zero premiums until she passed a few years after she moved in with us. She had COPD, and was pretty frail, required lots of medical attention. But neither of us had any problems with UHC MA plans when we had them.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go. " -Mark Twain