Adding attachment to TurboTax e file?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Adding attachment to TurboTax e file?

Post by blackwhisker »

I requested an extension for my 2019 tax and plan to file by Oct. 15.

I usually use Turbo tax to e-file. This year I have an unusual tax situation. I plan to write an explanation and include additional documents to support my explanation.

Is there anyway to include my explanation as an attachment when I use TurboTax to e file?

Some people online say I would have to print out my tax return and file via snail mail if I want to include additional information. I would like to check with this forum to make sure.

Thank you.
FiveK

Re: Adding attachment to TurboTax e file?

Post by FiveK »

Internet searches for
efile "attach a statement"
suggest some professional-grade software allows this, but not personal versions of TurboTax, TaxSlayer, etc. Don't know why.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker »

FiveK wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:18 pm Internet searches for
efile "attach a statement"
suggest some professional-grade software allows this, but not personal versions of TurboTax, TaxSlayer, etc. Don't know why.
Thank you FiveK!
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker »

Thanks cheese_breath.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

blackwhisker wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:12 pm I requested an extension for my 2019 tax and plan to file by Oct. 15.

I usually use Turbo tax to e-file. This year I have an unusual tax situation. I plan to write an explanation and include additional documents to support my explanation.

Is there anyway to include my explanation as an attachment when I use TurboTax to e file?

Some people online say I would have to print out my tax return and file via snail mail if I want to include additional information. I would like to check with this forum to make sure.

Thank you.
Why attach something that isn't needed? If you believe your situation is correct and legal I would just wait for the IRS to contact me later, if needed. If it is something that will be flagged by software (e.g. 1099 anomaly) the return likely won't be touched by a human who could read your explanation before a letter is sent. Believe paper processing is still months behind due to COVID.
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker »

stan1 wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:13 pm
blackwhisker wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:12 pm I requested an extension for my 2019 tax and plan to file by Oct. 15.

Thank you.
Why attach something that isn't needed? If you believe your situation is correct and legal I would just wait for the IRS to contact me later, if needed. If it is something that will be flagged by software (e.g. 1099 anomaly) the return likely won't be touched by a human who could read your explanation before a letter is sent. Believe paper processing is still months behind due to COVID.
Thanks stan1. That makes sense. I might use your strategy.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

blackwhisker wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Thank you.
I would not include “documentation” that is not required. I would not recommend giving the IRS more than they ask for. There are a few places that specify an explanation, ie transfers from IRAs to 401ks, for instance. Software can sometimes provide an entry for these.

Now, you should try to avoid things that will cause a computer mismatch. Often, there is a way to report the “correction”. For instance, if you have a 1099-MISC showing $10,000 of other income. But, you know that it is exempt from tax. The best way to handle this would be to report the $10,000 as miscellaneous income and then report a -$10,000 on the next line.
Topic Author
blackwhisker

Post by blackwhisker »

Katietsu wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:46 pm
blackwhisker wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:31 pm

Thank you.
Thanks Katiesu.

I would not include “documentation” that is not required. I would not recommend giving the IRS more than they ask for. There are a few places that specify an explanation, ie transfers from IRAs to 401ks, for instance. Software can sometimes provide an entry for these.

Now, you should try to avoid things that will cause a computer mismatch. Often, there is a way to report the “correction”. For instance, if you have a 1099-MISC showing $10,000 of other income. But, you know that it is exempt from tax. The best way to handle this would be to report the $10,000 as miscellaneous income and then report a -$10,000 on the next line.