At what networth is okay to splurge on a 200k car ? (Tesla roadster)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Dennisl

Re: At what networth is okay to splurge on a 200k car ? (Tesla roadster)

Post by Dennisl »

cowdogman wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:38 pm I have one word for you: Miata. From a distance it looks similar to the Tesla.
But he is the one who will be close. That’s like marrying a monet...
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:23 pm As food for thought we bought a new $110,770 Porsche 911 In 2013 with cash ($88,250 purchase price which was a sick discount) and our joint incomes were in the neighborhood of yours. We sold it 18 months later for $88,000, so it basically cost us the sales tax and one exorbitant $500 oil change service. We were in our 40s and had a net worth of about $2MM.

I owned 2 other Porsche’s, one I didn’t do as well on- costing my @ $7,000 to own and the 3rd Porsche was break even, but less money since I bought it used.
That’s awesome. So you got to own 3 Porsche’s for a few thousand bucks. I had a 2013 BMW X3 that I bought for $21k. I sold it a year later for $16k and paid $3-4k in repairs in that one year. So a single year of common SUV ownership cost much more than owning a significantly more expensive car (911) several times. It’s not about the price of the car, it’s about the resale when you’re done with it.
johnny

Post by johnny »

The title of this post reminded me of this story recounted in a NY Times article below. When one of his employees drives up in a new 90k car, Mitt Romney tells him that he wishes he could afford something like that. At the time Romney had an estimated net worth of $200M.

https://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/11/us/p ... abits.html
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

Dennisl wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:13 pm By the time you can afford it, you probably won’t want it anymore.
^Sadly, this is likely to true.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Some of these responses are really cracking me up. I can buy some over-priced toy, play with it until the novelty wears off, and then sell it at a profit?? Yeah, that sounds like a "safe bet." What could go wrong? :P
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
sadie wess

Post by sadie wess »

sjt wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:48 pm When there aren't kids going hungry in your country
+1 and a kiss.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

bogledogle wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:16 pm
Wricha wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:21 am If this ad rings true to you (the truly afflicted) then you don’t need bogleheads to make that call :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sWPHKU1XZU
Also, this.

https://youtu.be/VMxAW1nm2D0

Perfectly irrational.
Exactly, funny I have had 911’s for I long time. Never have I thought about what I looked like or what people said. It’s about the car.
BruDude

Post by BruDude »

FIREchief wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:56 pm Some of these responses are really cracking me up. I can buy some over-priced toy, play with it until the novelty wears off, and then sell it at a profit?? Yeah, that sounds like a "safe bet." What could go wrong? :P
You sure can. Is it overpriced if you can drive it and make a profit when you sell? The used Porsche market has some very interesting dynamics. You really need to do a lot of research to understand them and what’s a great deal, what’s most desirable, the common issues, and what models and options will have the strongest resale.
lws

Post by lws »

$10,000,000
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (topic exhausted). See: Locked Topics
Moderators or site admins may lock a topic (set it so no more replies may be added) when a violation of posting policy has occurred. Occasionally, even if there are no overt violations of posting policy, a topic (or thread) will reach a point where the information content of the discussion has been essentially exhausted and further replies are much more likely to cause distress to the community than add anything of value.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.