Home Listing Mess-Up

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Coltrane75

Home Listing Mess-Up

Post by Coltrane75 »

HI all,
I want to get your opinions on this.
My home has been on the market since June. All was moving along in terms of waiting on buyers/showings, etc.
Then suddenly my listing was pulled on Saturday; I just happened to notice this morning.
I reached out to my realtor and he said that my contract with him expired a few days prior and the MLS listing was set to expire along with it. He then said I need to extend the contract.
As a result I missed a weekend in a decent season to sell.
I may have some accountability to remember the expiry date, but I had no idea that would result in an MLS pull.
Should my realtor been on top of this?
Thanks
mmmodem

Re: Home Listing Mess-Up

Post by mmmodem »

Sounds like:

a. a bad realtor,
b. one that doesn't want to work with you anymore, or
c. one that is overburdened and failed to keep track.

If I was happy with the realtor, no big deal. If I wasn't, any one of those reasons is enough for me to find a new one.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

mmmodem wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:16 am Sounds like:

a. a bad realtor,

If I was happy with the realtor, no big deal. If I wasn't, any one of those reasons is enough for me to find a new one.
I'm voting for C with a little A thrown in. It sounds like a 90 day listing contract was signed and the agent didn't pay attention to the expiration date. I don't know the market your in but why hasn't the property sold after 90 days? What kind of feedback are you getting?
MarkBarb

Post by MarkBarb »

What is done is done. You aren't going to get any redress, so don't spend any energy on that. Use this as an opportunity to pick a better realtor.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Yes, your realtor should have been on top of it. Get a new one.

Is the home priced right? Maybe the realtor is not very enthusiastic (this is still not a good excuse for the realtor) because it is overpriced. The market on average priced and below property from everything I hear and see is hot. My mother just got my grandma's home under contract in a few days. There were multiple offers.

Frankly, missing a weekend on a property that has been for sale for months probably is more telling about your realtor but not practically a big deal.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I'd start over. Interview several agents. Ask for comparative market analysis and what needs to be done to sell the house quickly (assuming you do want to sell it). Do the online photos show the house to be decluttered and cleaned?

Realtors won't work very hard to sell an over-priced house, especially if the owner has been unwilling to negotiate.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

mmmodem wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:16 am Sounds like:

a. a bad realtor,

Agreed. A and C mean find a new realtor because no good realtor would ever allow a listing to expire.

B requires introspection. How is the market in your area for your house price? On the market since June for normal houses means you are priced way too high or your market is extremely slow (and you may still be priced too high). But if you are in the 4x or more times median price realm then that may be normal.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Your realtor should have contacted you prior to expiration to discuss a renewal. Why they failed to do so, none of us know.

In many markets in most of the country, it is a seller's market currently. Why hasn't your house sold? Any offers? What does your realtor have to say about the house not selling? Your realtor should have been communicating with you regularly about marketing, buyer interest, and what adjustments might help your house actually sell.

Considering that your realtor dropped the ball on the expiration of your listing and it hasn't sold in ninety days, as others have suggested, use this opportunity to interview other realtors, discuss their marketing ideas, talk about pricing and then consider how you wish to proceed from here. A fresh perspective from other realtors and listing with one of them may be in order.
Topic Author
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

Thanks guys for your feedback.

The market is a downtown city (want to keep privacy) that's been slower because of all that is going on.

We listed in June then lowered the price from $689 to $670 at the end of August. One week after the drop, he was asking me to lower it again by $5k or $10k which seemed a bit fast/panicky. I guess he really didn't communicate what he thought, if he did, the going price should be to make it move and I wasn't sure.

So I'm fine with lowering it when we relist.

I'll be going with a realtor I interviewed back in my original search that I was impressed with that my boss used. I choice my current one because he was from Redfin with a lower commission.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> I choice (sic) my current one because he was from Redfin with a lower commission.

Just one data point but...interesting.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Coltrane75 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:27 am Thanks guys for your feedback.

The market is a downtown city (want to keep privacy) that's been slower because of all that is going on.

We listed in June then lowered the price from $689 to $670 at the end of August. One week after the drop, he was asking me to lower it again by $5k or $10k which seemed a bit fast/panicky. I guess he really didn't communicate what he thought, if he did, the going price should be to make it move and I wasn't sure.

I'll be going with a realtor I interviewed back in my original search that I was impressed with that my boss used. I choice my current one because he was from Redfin with a lower commission.
Do what you will, but I would suggest that you consider starting fresh and interviewing at least three (3) realtors (including the one your boss used). Use this time to solicit their thoughts on what, if anything, has changed in the market in the past ninety days, their feedback on how your house was listed, priced and marketed, and what, if anything, they would do differently to get your house sold for the best price in a reasonable time.

Good luck.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Maybe the agent had no interest in working with you any longer. Some clients are a handful and have unrealistic expectations. Otherwise if your market is a slow seller's market then it sounds strange to me.

I've only had one house that was a difficult sell (my first one in a bad location) and I went through several agents before hiring a discount agent where I told him I simply wanted it listed online, a lockbox and a sign. Nothing else. No open houses, etc. And eventually it did sell.

You definitely should have known the length of the contract as well as any options you have in getting out of a contract. I try to work with ones that will allow me out at any time (there are good ones that have 24 hr cancellation policies) since things can change.

If it hasn't sold since June, I doubt missing a week or two now will make much difference (obviously it doesn't help anything).

I'd consider whether did you listen to the agent regarding stuff such as:
1. The sales price
2. Cleaning/fixing up the house
3. Staging
4. Etc.

People often have set ideas about what their house is going to sell based on needs, neighbors' homes, or $/sqft but none of those matter. Often homes interiors are vastly different in quality. I had a house (pending sale) go for $300K more than mine and it is only a street or so way from mine in the same development. That house is much larger and apparently has been remodeled to a very high end style.

And of course, some areas just are having a tough time selling anything based on the economy.
Topic Author
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

rich126 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:38 am Maybe the agent had no interest in working with you any longer. Some clients are a handful and have unrealistic expectations. Otherwise if your market is a slow seller's market then it sounds strange to me.

I've only had one house that was a difficult sell (my first one in a bad location) and I went through several agents before hiring a discount agent where I told him I simply wanted it listed online, a lockbox and a sign. Nothing else. No open houses, etc. And eventually it did sell.

You definitely should have known the length of the contract as well as any options you have in getting out of a contract. I try to work with ones that will allow me out at any time (there are good ones that have 24 hr cancellation policies) since things can change.

If it hasn't sold since June, I doubt missing a week or two now will make much difference (obviously it doesn't help anything).

I'd consider whether did you listen to the agent regarding stuff such as:
1. The sales price
2. Cleaning/fixing up the house
3. Staging
4. Etc.

People often have set ideas about what their house is going to sell based on needs, neighbors' homes, or $/sqft but none of those matter. Often homes interiors are vastly different in quality. I had a house (pending sale) go for $300K more than mine and it is only a street or so way from mine in the same development. That house is much larger and apparently has been remodeled to a very high end style.

And of course, some areas just are having a tough time selling anything based on the economy.
I did exactly as he said for price up until the request to cut 2 weeks after my 2nd reduction, staging, cleaning, availability, etc. I just told him lets wait a week or 2 before slashing the price a 2nd time.
Topic Author
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:29 am
Coltrane75 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:27 am Thanks guys for your feedback.

Do what you will, but I would suggest that you consider starting fresh and interviewing at least three (3) realtors (including the one your boss used). Use this time to solicit their thoughts on what, if anything, has changed in the market in the past ninety days, their feedback on how your house was listed, priced and marketed, and what, if anything, they would do differently to get your house sold for the best price in a reasonable time.

Good luck.
Thanks for the reminder, I'll be interviewing at least 3.
WildCat48

Post by WildCat48 »

I'm surprised that you didn't get any decent offers in the first 90-days. We just sold our house and we had 5 solid offers the first week. We are in Southern California.
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

Note that Redfin doesn't assign one agent. That is probably why no one called you. If someone wants to see the house, they send whoever is available. No one is fighting for you. You get what you pay for....
terran

Post by terran »

Make sure you and/or your new realtor review the contract you signed with the former realtor. Sometimes they have an exclusion period if you sell it within a certain amount of time after the contract ends. Sometimes (usually?) this only applies if you end up selling to someone they already showed the house to.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

WildCat48 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:22 pm We just sold our house and we had 5 solid offers the first week. We are in Southern California.
Real Estate is *extremely* local so no surprise that there might be very large market differences between two locations.

@OP I'll join the chorus and say take this as a chance to find another Realtor.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Coltrane75 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:27 am I choice my current one because he was from Redfin with a lower commission.
Is this one of those deals where you take your own photos?
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Coltrane75 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:27 amI choice my current one because he was from Redfin with a lower commission.
This explains a lot of the situation. If you’re going to pay 15-25% of the commission vs a standard realtor, expect 15-25% of the effort. I.E. the cut rate comes with additional work for you. You should have been on top of the listing agreement. If you don’t want that additional responsibility, you get a full priced broker who hopefully is worth the money you’re paying.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

kaudrey wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:30 pm Note that Redfin doesn't assign one agent. That is probably why no one called you. If someone wants to see the house, they send whoever is available. No one is fighting for you. You get what you pay for....
This is not true for sellers, at least not everywhere. We sold with redfin and there was no question that I had an agent. He was responsible for setting up the listing, marketing, and was present at both open houses. He did have another agent do a showing and an inspection, but he communicated that prior.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

FIREchief wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:36 pm
Coltrane75 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:27 am I choice my current one because he was from Redfin with a lower commission.
Is this one of those deals where you take your own photos?
No. Redfin uses professional photographers and was doing matterport 3d tours even before Covid.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Millennial wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:44 pm
kaudrey wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:30 pm Note that Redfin doesn't assign one agent. That is probably why no one called you. If someone wants to see the house, they send whoever is available. No one is fighting for you. You get what you pay for....
This is not true for sellers, at least not everywhere. We sold with redfin and there was no question that I had an agent. He was responsible for setting up the listing, marketing, and was present at both open houses. He did have another agent do a showing and an inspection, but he communicated that prior.
This is what would worry me. As I understand it, it is whoever is available and not just one agent that shows it. So, you may very well have someone that has never been in the house showing it. What is the point? Might as well just put a lock box on it (which even non-Redfin realtors do do in certain markets). If someone asks a question and it isn't in the MLS listing they have no clue. I did use Redfin to buy and it was fine for me (I pretty much did my own searches, research, etc).
Topic Author
Coltrane75

Post by Coltrane75 »

The issue we seemed to have with the redfin selling agent we had, aside from the one I mentioned in the first post, is he was the agent for all Redfin listings in the metro area. After covid, they laid off the other agent so it was all him. This was probably a factor in his poor performance.

I don't have regrets trying them, it was worth giving it a go because of the cheaper commission. Too bad it didn't work out.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:59 pm This is what would worry me. As I understand it, it is whoever is available and not just one agent that shows it. So, you may very well have someone that has never been in the house showing it. What is the point? Might as well just put a lock box on it (which even non-Redfin realtors do do in certain markets). If someone asks a question and it isn't in the MLS listing they have no clue. I did use Redfin to buy and it was fine for me (I pretty much did my own searches, research, etc).
I dont think its necessarily regular for the listing agent to show a house. When we bought my first house I never met a listing agent on 10ish house tours. Second house was a little different because we only looked at one house but no listing agent there either. I prefer it that way because I would never believe anything a listing agent tell me anyway.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

barnaclebob wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:26 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:59 pm This is what would worry me. As I understand it, it is whoever is available and not just one agent that shows it. So, you may very well have someone that has never been in the house showing it. What is the point? Might as well just put a lock box on it (which even non-Redfin realtors do do in certain markets). If someone asks a question and it isn't in the MLS listing they have no clue. I did use Redfin to buy and it was fine for me (I pretty much did my own searches, research, etc).
I dont think its necessarily regular for the listing agent to show a house. When we bought my first house I never met a listing agent on 10ish house tours. Second house was a little different because we only looked at one house but no listing agent there either. I prefer it that way because I would never believe anything a listing agent tell me anyway.
As I mentioned, the sellers agent not being at showings is normal in some areas. I think that is crazy. I mean, 2.5% for putting the listing in the MLS and answering the phone when someone calls? On top of that, I know (at least to whatever degree...I hired them) my selling agent. I don't want some random buyers realtor and their client in my house without my agent or myself there. It amazes me how trusting people can be because someone took a 3 week course and passed a test a 12 year old could pass. But maybe I'm paranoid :shock:.
Millennial

Post by Millennial »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:59 pm
This is what would worry me. As I understand it, it is whoever is available and not just one agent that shows it. So, you may very well have someone that has never been in the house showing it. What is the point? Might as well just put a lock box on it (which even non-Redfin realtors do do in certain markets). If someone asks a question and it isn't in the MLS listing they have no clue. I did use Redfin to buy and it was fine for me (I pretty much did my own searches, research, etc).
I agree that it's not ideal to have another agent showing, but this happens with full-fee realtors in our area too. If it's a private showing it's atypically the named realtor; they're only there at the open house.

Edit to add: maybe it matters less because we are in a sellers' market (at least pre-covid!) with a "standard" sales cycle. Houses are listed Wednesday/Thursday, open houses are typically held Saturday and Sunday, private showings and inspections Monday or Tuesday AM, then offers due sometime Tuesday afternoon.
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

I stand corrected. Thank you for clarifying!
veindoc

Post by veindoc »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 am [quote=barnaclebob post_id=5508961 time=<a href="tel:1600781208">1600781208</a> user_id=39219]
[quote=michaeljc70 post_id=5508421 time=<a href="tel:1600739980">1600739980</a> user_id=103109]
[/quote]

As I mentioned, the sellers agent not being at showings is normal in some areas. I think that is crazy. I mean, 2.5% for putting the listing in the MLS and answering the phone when someone calls? On top of that, I know (at least to whatever degree...I hired them) my selling agent. I don't want some random buyers realtor and their client in my house without my agent or myself there. It amazes me how trusting people can be because someone took a 3 week course and passed a test a 12 year old could pass. But maybe I'm paranoid :shock:.
[/quote]

Never had a selling agent present at any of the home showings unless it was an open house. Just myself and my agent strolling through the house peeking inside closets.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 am
Listing realtors will tell sellers to secure their valuables (preferably off-site). Where I live its a choice to put a lock box on the door, but there are thousands of realtors in this metro area and you don't know which one is going to bring a client. When we sold in 2015 about 100 of them walked through the house (based on business card drops) and about 30 brought clients. We got a 50% cash down offer $50K over asking price so it was worth the inconvenience.

I'd rather get it over as fast as possible (under a week) with the house decluttered, cleaned, staged, de-dogged, de-catted, and de-kidded as opposed to dragging out showings for months.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

stan1 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:00 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:00 am
Listing realtors will tell sellers to secure their valuables (preferably off-site). Where I live its a choice to put a lock box on the door, but there are thousands of realtors in this metro area and you don't know which one is going to bring a client. When we sold in 2015 about 100 of them walked through the house (based on business card drops) and about 30 brought clients. We got a 50% cash down offer $50K over asking price so it was worth the inconvenience.

I'd rather get it over as fast as possible (under a week) with the house decluttered, cleaned, staged, de-dogged, de-catted, and de-kidded as opposed to dragging out showings for months.
Understood. As I said, it is normal in some areas for the selling agent to almost never show up for showings. I don't see how if they did show up for the showings it would have affected your sales price or offers negatively. If they were not going to ever show up I'd pay someone to put it in the MLS a flat fee (which I've done a few times) and save the 2.5%. You can buy a lockbox on Amazon for $20. But everyone needs to do what they feel comfortable with and realtor compensation is probably beyond the scope of this topic. I mean, if a seller's realtor goes to every showing should they get the same $$$ as one that never does?
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

In my area, it's also been typical for buyer's agents to show the house without a seller's agent present. The buyer's agent just drops off a business card to show that they've been there.

If you're worried about buyer's touring with just a buyer's agent, then you really don't want an open house and might request that there be no open house. There's a school of thought that open houses exist primarily to allow selling agents to find potential prospects who need a buyer's agent. i.e. They're using your house to find more business for themselves.

http://millerandmillerrealestateservice ... pen-house/
https://www.maxrealestateexposure.com/d ... uses-work/
https://www.rochesterrealestateblog.com ... al-estate/
pondering

Post by pondering »

Just curious if you looked up recent sales on Zillow in the area.

Have the prices been going up down or sideways?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

random_walker_77 wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:13 pm In my area, it's also been typical for buyer's agents to show the house without a seller's agent present. The buyer's agent just drops off a business card to show that they've been there.

If you're worried about buyer's touring with just a buyer's agent, then you really don't want an open house and might request that there be no open house. There's a school of thought that open houses exist primarily to allow selling agents to find potential prospects who need a buyer's agent. i.e. They're using your house to find more business for themselves.

http://millerandmillerrealestateservice ... pen-house/
https://www.maxrealestateexposure.com/d ... uses-work/
https://www.rochesterrealestateblog.com ... al-estate/
Agreed. In the suburbs here seller's agents typically don't go to showings but in the city they almost always do. It depends on the exact area and the selling price. I don't have open houses so nosy neighbors can traipse through my house. . If people are serious they can make an appointment.
pondering

Post by pondering »

I think open houses are fairly helpful in getting people informed about home values.

Calling people nosy for that seems a bit much.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text, I find speech easier than writing
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

pondering wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:31 am I think open houses are fairly helpful in getting people informed about home values.

Well, I’ll admit I’ve gone to one or two in the past just because I was nosy. I also ended up buying a house after seeing an Open House sign and taking a look.

Like in most things in life, it’s not always black and white. Not having an open house will keep most tire kickers from traipsing through, but might also miss an opportunity to attract a buyer. Who knows. Each seller can decide for themselves.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

pondering wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:31 am I think open houses are fairly helpful in getting people informed about home values.

According to the National Association of Realtors, only 3% of homebuyers go to open houses.

Try Zillow if you are curious what your home is worth :o There are plenty of sites that estimate home values and you can come up with your own value just by looking at listings (preferably closed) readily available online. Just looking at what someone is asking for a home doesn't tell you much since they can ask whatever they want.