Page 1 of 1

Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:48 am
by eonny
Two years ago I noticed a merchant charge on my credit card. Called the merchant, no record of an order, called the credit card and the amount was credited.

Two years hence, the recurring charges happened every month, same time, roughly same amount, ($200), but without any prompting from me (phone calls or disputing) the charge would immediately be credited (so quick the charge did not leave pending status.)

Two months ago, the automatic crediting of the fraudulent charge stopped and I formally disputed, but the credit card resolved in the merchant's favor!

After multiple calls to the merchant finally a recurring charge was found, not established by me for orders with different shipping addresses. I received a letter from the merchant advising the charge was not mine, the recurring order was canceled and all is right.

Question: Given the monthly orders were placed but never paid for how did a merchant not notice?

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 am
by bloom2708
Why did you not get a new/updated credit card number for over 2 years of charges?

Merchants do thousands of transactions. Spotting fraudulent charges is difficult. Although 2 years of the same charge seems strange.

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:56 am
by cheese_breath
I can't answer your question, but I have one for you.

Why did you let this go on for two years and never cancel the credit card?

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:16 pm
by munemaker
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 am Why did you not get a new/updated credit card number for over 2 years of charges?
My experience is a new cc number will not help you in a case like this. The credit card company will just route the charges to your new number. I know this from experience.

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pm
by burritoLover
munemaker wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:16 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 am Why did you not get a new/updated credit card number for over 2 years of charges?
My experience is a new cc number will not help you in a case like this. The credit card company will just route the charges to your new number. I know this from experience.
Not if you tell them your card was stolen?

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:19 pm
by willthrill81
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 am Why did you not get a new/updated credit card number for over 2 years of charges?
Exactly.

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:22 pm
by Stinky
eonny wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:48 am
Question: Given the monthly orders were placed but never paid for how did a merchant not notice?
I agree. Sounds like the merchant had some pretty slipshod procedures. From their point of view, they have been shipping product to someone for two years, and never being paid for it. One would thing that their accounting team should have caught that problem.

I don't think that you did anything wrong. Just keep watching your credit card statements and transactions going forward.

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:39 pm
by rich126
munemaker wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:16 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 am Why did you not get a new/updated credit card number for over 2 years of charges?
My experience is a new cc number will not help you in a case like this. The credit card company will just route the charges to your new number. I know this from experience.
Sadly that seems to be true based on my experiences as well. Even w/o a proper expiration date. I once got several notices saying the charge couldn't go through and then "magically" it went through. Shouldn't be allowed IMO.

And yeah waiting 2 years seems like a lot of laziness although I can understand not wanting to deal with stuff like this, it always stresses me out to call someone, complain, get stuck on hold and have to talk to multiple people, etc.

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:46 pm
by THY4373
burritoLover wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pm Not if you tell them your card was stolen?
Not always enough in my experience. Case in point, I had a Citi card compromised and the fraudster used it at Netflix among some other brick and mortar stores. Reported the number stolen/compromised. Citi cancelled the charges and issued me a new number. All was well until next month when Netflix hit again. Call Citi and because it was a recurring charge they had to do something extra which they did this time and the charges stopped and I was made whole. So certain recurring charges can cause issues at least with Citi.

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:53 pm
by burritoLover
THY4373 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:46 pm
burritoLover wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pm Not if you tell them your card was stolen?
Not always enough in my experience. Case in point, I had a Citi card compromised and the fraudster used it at Netflix among some other brick and mortar stores. Reported the number stolen/compromised. Citi cancelled the charges and issued me a new number. All was well until next month when Netflix hit again. Call Citi and because it was a recurring charge they had to do something extra which they did this time and the charges stopped and I was made whole. So certain recurring charges can cause issues at least with Citi.
Dang - thanks for the info.

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:19 pm
by pasadena
burritoLover wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:53 pm
THY4373 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:46 pm
burritoLover wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:17 pm Not if you tell them your card was stolen?
Not always enough in my experience. Case in point, I had a Citi card compromised and the fraudster used it at Netflix among some other brick and mortar stores. Reported the number stolen/compromised. Citi cancelled the charges and issued me a new number. All was well until next month when Netflix hit again. Call Citi and because it was a recurring charge they had to do something extra which they did this time and the charges stopped and I was made whole. So certain recurring charges can cause issues at least with Citi.
Dang - thanks for the info.
A few months ago I spotted a fraudulent (non recurring) charge on my Chase CC. They issued a new card, but the rep told me not to bother changing my info with my recurring providers as they would do that for me. I was surprised, to say the least and honestly find this a little unsettling.

End results, half of my recurring charges were correctly updated, but half were not and I did have to change my billing info with the providers when they got denied.
Always go through your statement, or better yet, check the transactions on all of your financial accounts on a regular basis.

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:37 pm
by eonny
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:53 am Why did you not get a new/updated credit card number for over 2 years of charges?

Merchants do thousands of transactions. Spotting fraudulent charges is difficult. Although 2 years of the same charge seems strange.
I did, shortly after the charges appeared but the recurring orders did not stop.

Re: Credit card nightmare

Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:52 pm
by Dregob
I would have cancelled the card.