Morningstar Premium- New Portfolio Aggregator (beta)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Morningstar Premium- New Portfolio Aggregator (beta)

Post by sleepysurf »

For the past couple years, I paid for Morningstar Premium, but was planning to let it lapse at the end of the year, since their free offerings are sufficient for me. However, upon logging in tonight, I was presented the option to sign up for their new Beta Portfolio Aggregator tool, which automatically imports holdings from various online brokerages (a la Personal Capital, Quicken, Vanguard, and others). One compelling feature is that it incorporates the Morningstar X-ray view, and presumably other analysis tools down the road. It appears to be a proprietary platform (unlike those using Envestnet/Yodlee), but likewise claims to implement bank-level security, including 2FA (for every login).

Unfortunately, I cannot find a direct link with more information to share here.

I signed up to take it for a "test drive", but it apparently takes at least 24 hours to fully populate. I'm curious to see how it compares to Personal Capital and Vanguard Portfolio Watch, and hear what others think (if willing to try it).
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Re: Morningstar Premium- New Portfolio Aggregator (beta)

Post by sleepysurf »

Researching further, I see that Morningstar acquired ByAllAccounts, Inc. (a financial aggregator) in 2014... https://www.prnewswire.com/news-release ... -253432591.

Looks like it was previously used only for the advisory side of their business, but is now being offered to individual investors with a Premium subscription.

For anybody concerned about their Security/Privacy measures, here's a recent summary... http://www.byallaccounts.net/manuals/Ac ... Policy.pdf

Morningstar's Annual Investment Conference starts tomorrow, so I expect there will be more information forthcoming about this service.
Topic Author
sleepysurf

Re: Morningstar Premium- New Portfolio Aggregator (beta)

Post by sleepysurf »

After 2 days of "test driving", I'm punting on this aggregator. I tried it with one account, and constantly had difficulty connecting. When it finally connected, it only downloaded some of my holdings, so the X-Ray analysis was useless. I'm sure Morningstar will eventually get the kinks out, but I'll stick with Personal Capital, which is far more reliable, with more robust tools.