Revocable Trust & Beneficary Designation

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
swied

Revocable Trust & Beneficary Designation

Post by swied »

My parents have a revocable trust and all accounts, properties have been re title appropriately. Dad passed away early last year and I have been going through a yearly checkup of mom's accounts. I looked at a Fidelity account today and thought to look at beneficiaries. There are none listed. Should there be or do the trustees step in after Mom passes to do what is required?
sailaway

Re: Revocable Trust & Beneficary Designation

Post by sailaway »

Is this a brokerage account? Is it titled to the trust? What about the will?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

If an account is in the name of the trust, than the beneficiaries are already in place in the trust so long as the trust isn't dissolved. No need to also have a beneficiary appear on the account.
Topic Author
swied

Post by swied »

The trust document states eveything clearly and the account is titles in the name of the trust. We should be good to go moving forward. You never know these days :happy

Thanks for the clarity
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

BTW tax deferred accounts such as traditional & Roth IRAs should NOT be titled to the revocable trust, and should have a designated beneficiary.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

neilpilot wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:48 pm BTW tax deferred accounts such as traditional & Roth IRAs should NOT be titled to the revocable trust, and should have a designated beneficiary.
Is it even possible/legal to title a tax deferred account in the name of a trust? I think not, although the trust could be named as the beneficiary (although that probably is not advisable in most cases, I suspect).
3CheersforLkyJack

Post by 3CheersforLkyJack »

Just went through this. Our attorney told us that we could transfer our taxable investment accounts to the trust or we could keep them in our own name as long as we had a TOD/POD/beneficiary that listed the Revocable Living Trust.
FIREchief

Post by FIREchief »

Leesbro63 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:04 pm
neilpilot wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:48 pm BTW tax deferred accounts such as traditional & Roth IRAs should NOT be titled to the revocable trust, and should have a designated beneficiary.
Is it even possible/legal to title a tax deferred account in the name of a trust? I think not, although the trust could be named as the beneficiary (although that probably is not advisable in most cases, I suspect).
Of course not. That said, there is likely nothing wrong with designating a revocable trust as beneficiary of a Roth account, particularly if the revocable trust DOES NOT include conduit trust language for inherited qualified accounts. There may be some marginal advantages of naming a revocable trust as beneficiary of a tIRA account, provided that the trust DOES include conduit trust language for inherited qualified accounts.
I am not a lawyer, accountant or financial advisor. Any advice or suggestions that I may provide shall be considered for entertainment purposes only.